So we have Bayern

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He may know about tactics but so far his answer to every challenge has been to play his 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1.

He has changed approaches based on the opposition or changed a formation during a match to turn a game decisively in our favor. His usual response to us being behind is to chuck as many forwards on as possible.

Its a valid criticism IMO.
I think his tactical approach has been over-simplified, for various different reasons.

Not saying there' isn't some scope for criticism but the idea that he is a tactical simpleton compared to Guardiola is unfair.

Comsmit

The idea that Moyes hasn't a clue about tactics is getting on my tits tbh.

It's like the Fergie-bashing all over again. They both clearly know a thing or two about tactics. You don't get where they got in football without being very tactically astute.

Where they differ is that Fergie knew how to motivate this squad which Moyes, so far, doesn't seem to have a rashers how to do.
Moyes knows a thing or two about tactical approach sure, it's just that thing or two was always applied at Everton, who largely setup the same way and had the same objectives throughout his tenure. The objectives and expectations differ dramatically at United.

His problem now is based around finding new tactical approaches that suit a club built on attacking football. Judging by our meagre, and frankly appalling goals tally he is struggling to shake of the mindset of his previous 10 years. Understandable in some ways but if he cannot be adaptable then he is useless to United.

Kag

It's like the Fergie-bashing all over again. They both clearly know a thing or two about tactics. You don't get where they got in football without being very tactically astute.

Where they differ is that Fergie knew how to motivate this squad which Moyes, so far, doesn't seem to have a rashers how to do.
There's a confusion surrounding the difference between coaching and tactics. I disagree about motivation, it's the coaching and what's done on the training ground that's our biggest problem, I suspect. His tactics may not be that bad, but he and his staff certainly don't have the creativity or imagination to create an attacking side at such a big club. He's ingrained in percentage play, sadly.

Cina

I think his tactical approach has been over-simplified, for various different reasons.

Not saying there' isn't some scope for criticism but the idea that he is a tactical simpleton compared to Guardiola is unfair.
he may not be, but he's been a bloody tactical simpleton quite a few times this season. Infact, if anything, he's just tried copying Fergie.

Oh we're losing? I'll just throw on every striker I have and abandon this whole 'midfield' thing.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well if it's getting on YOUR tits, we'd better all stop.

Cmon, it's equally his tactical nous as it is his apparent inability to motivate his team.

Frankly, I suspect the players motivated themselves for Wednesday's match - a win and a last truly big European tie for the foreseeable future.

The tactics were again, not apparently very good. Only Olympiakos' terrible finishing and De Gea's great goalkeeping saw us through the tie against the Greek giants.
It's a game of football, both teams are going to have chances. You can't just put this solely down to tactics. By the same logic, we had further chances to score and even hit the post.

Aboutreika18

I think it's true but there are few managers out there who tinker as much as Guardiola anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Barkley's comments that Everton do more tactical work under Martinez than Moyes were more concerning.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In fact what I remember people raving about regarding Moyes prior to him being named manager was his scientific approach to evaluating players.

So basically, he's a FM freak.

Dans

It's a game of football, both teams are going to have chances. You can't just put this solely down to tactics. By the same logic, we had further chances to score and even hit the post.
Yeah, true, but at least at home, in our fortress, we should not be being opened up like we were by the Greek giants. If we can't dictate at home, if we can prevent the opposition creating several very good chances I think that's got to be down to tactics.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

According to the Telegraph:

Draw:
Barcelona v Atletico (1 & 9 April)
Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund (2 & 8 April)
PSG v Chelsea (2 & 8 April)
Manchester United v Bayern Munich (1 & 9 April)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think it's true but there are few managers out there who tinker as much as Guardiola anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Barkley's comments that Everton do more tactical work under Martinez than Moyes were more concerning.
I'm taking all comments coming out after Moyes' departure from Everton with a grain of salt. (both good and bad)

Kaos

The question is, how to approach our home tie being the first game? Do we just play cautiously and hope for a cleansheet? Do we go for it?

Comsmit

There's a confusion surrounding the difference between coaching and tactics. I disagree about motivation, it's the coaching and what's done on the training ground that's our biggest problem, I suspect. His tactics may not be that bad, but he and his staff certainly don't have the creativity or imagination to create an attacking side at such a big club. He's ingrained in percentage play, sadly.
Agree completely and particularly the bolded section, and I seriously cannot see him moving away from that. It's one of the reasons why we have a collection of outstanding flair players who manage to look so devoid of expression.

The work on the training ground is the most important responsibility in any coaches' job. It is those hours that transmit to the pitch and consequently shape the results you achieve.

Pogue Mahone

That's quite possibly true. Although, we'd all have to admit that even under Fergie there was definitely something lacking in our attacking football last season. When our attacking football was as flat as we were for so much of last season under a manager as successful as Fergie (with Rene self-appointed genius Meulensteen on his team) than you have to think that personnel is as big an issue as coaching, if not more so.

Not that Moyes has improved things, mind you. It adds to the long list of existing issues he was expected to fix in his debut season but there's no evidence so far that's he's capable of fixing it. The opposite, if anything.

Cina

The question is, how to approach our home tie being the first game? Do we just play cautiously and hope for a cleansheet? Do we go for it?
there's no way Moyes will go for it.

Cina

You'd think that even he would have to realise that he has to go for it.
I think Moyes would rather get a 0-0 against Bayern Munich at OT than risk getting spanked for the sake of winning, so no, I don't tell he'll go for it. I think they'll destroy us in possession.

Eugenius

We wont last 20 minutes if we park the bus. We need to completely disregard defending and and go all out attack, it's our only option.
No, we will get completely taken up the rear orifice if we do that. Our attack isn't even fluid enough to cause the best teams problems, we're best suited to loading our team with pace and power and trying to hit them on the counter attack.

I'd play Carrick, Jones and Rooney as a 3 man midfield with Welbeck and Valencia supporting RVP. Basically hope that RVP does something special and try to keep compact.

Blackwidow

Reaction to the quarter-final draw
Matthias Sammer: “It’s an extremely attractive draw against opponents who are struggling for consistency. But they showed they’re capable of great things in the Round of 16 second leg. The appropriate response for us is to remain modest and speak very, very respectfully about opponents who are still perfectly capable of football at the highest level on a good day. They’re extremely dangerous on good days, so we can’t allow them to have two good days. I regard the draw as manageable but dangerous. If you have the conviction and belief it doesn’t matter whether you play the first match at home or away.”

Philipp Lahm: “It’s a superb draw. It's a wonderful stadium with a terrific atmosphere and a history of great clashes. We can look forward to it. We’ll definitely go to Manchester intending to attack. We’re the holders and one of the big favourites to win the Champions League. But we mustn’t be deceived by United’s current position in the table. They have outstanding individual players. We’ll have to perform well and if we do, we'll have a good chance of making the semi-finals.”

Arjen Robben: “It’s a good draw and we’re away from home first. United aren’t in great shape but they’re still a top team. We face two very tough matches. The best thing about Manchester is the atmosphere. All of us are in the game for the chance of playing in an atmosphere like that. Old Trafford is very special indeed and we should enjoy it. The fans are a 12th man for Manchester United. Obviously they’re struggling in the Premier League this season but that counts for nothing in the Champions League. We have to be up for it from the start.“

Dante: “Robin van Persie is a world-class striker, but we have no need to fear United. We’re ready for them. We’ll need to be awake right from the start in Manchester. The atmosphere there is intimidating. They have plenty of experience in the squad, and world-class individuals. We have to be on our guard.”

Thomas Müller: “It was clear all the quarter-finals would be big games. There was no team in the draw where we would have said: oh yes, we’ll take them. United turned around their last 16 match against Piraeus with an outstanding performance. It shows they have the quality.“

-----------

Is there already reactions from Manchester United officials or players?

Dans

What league games do we have either side of the first leg? (not that league results matter a bollox)
The Glazers will insist that we go for it - even if the difference is 500k in prize money.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

You must have some massive tits judging by the amount of times you've started a post in this manner.
I'm sure we all annoy you with our dull and uninspiring ideas but please make more room on those voloptuous pleasurebuns because we of the lesser blessed always paint things black and white so you can point out to us that ''the complicated truth is somewhere in the middle, BOOMSHAKALAKA''.

Pogue Mahone

The Glazers will insist that we go for it - even if the difference is 500k in prize money.
Been wondering about that actually. You get more money the higher up the league you finish and more money for each round you progress in the CL.

I wonder whether it is better to really go for it in the CL or bust our balls to try and finish as high up the league as possible, purely in terms of income?

It's obviously a huge gamble to put all your eggs in the CL basket. I wonder if the Glazers are betting men?

Goooose

No, we will get completely taken up the rear orifice if we do that. Our attack isn't even fluid enough to cause the best teams problems, we're best suited to loading our team with pace and power and trying to hit them on the counter attack.

I'd play Carrick, Jones and Rooney as a 3 man midfield with Welbeck and Valencia supporting RVP. Basically hope that RVP does something special and try to keep compact.
No, we're really not. Bayern are going to score at least 4 or 5 times over the two legs. We have to take the game to them, not sit back and try to counter; that would be suicide

Pogue Mahone

You must have some massive tits judging by the amount of times you've started a post in this manner.
I'm sure we all annoy you with our dull and uninspiring ideas but please make more room on those voloptuous pleasurebuns because we of the lesser blessed always paint things black and white so you can point out to us that ''the complicated truth is somewhere in the middle, BOOMSHAKALAKA''.
Not everyone. Kevin. A lot of people don't annoy me at all, even if I disagree with them. You annoy me a lot, in the same way most bad comedians annoy me. It's that combination of cringe and irritation which - you guessed it - really gets on my tits. It's as though Michael McIntyre has a log in. Piainful stuff.

adexkola

Supports
Thomas Müller: “It was clear all the quarter-finals would be big games. There was no team in the draw where we would have said: oh yes, we’ll take them. United turned around their last 16 match against Piraeus with an outstanding performance. It shows they have the quality.“
Someone tell Muller that the Caf thinks the performance wasn't that good.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

He hasn't though and that's pretty obvious so far. He knows how to set up a team tactically not to lose and maybe steal a win, but when it comes to tactics that need to dominate and attack he is clueless.

Eugenius

Been wondering about that actually. You get more money the higher up the league you finish and more money for each round you progress in the CL.

I wonder whether it is better to really go for it in the CL or bust our balls to try and finish as high up the league as possible, purely in terms of income?

It's obviously a huge gamble to put all your eggs in the CL basket. I wonder if the Glazers are betting men?
~£500k difference in league prize money is peanuts. If you get to the next round of the CL you get gate receipts, TV money and if we win the damn thing we get CL football. It's really a no brainer.

adexkola

Supports