So what's next for Sir Gareth Southgate?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just read his quotes on Musiala. And the treatment of Sancho.. Jesus, this guy is such a hateable idiot.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No. You just like him are using hindsight to make these claims. The reason they beat Argentina for example was because Argentina as per usual plain froze. They also never threatened Spain at all. Spain were pretty comfortable against them, which was no surprise because they weren't at that level yet. They were at the begining of their cycle in 2010. That is why 4 years later they matured into a winning team.

Southgate is not a great manager. But he isnt remotely shit either abd he has done very well. People should stop pretending he has a generation as good as England's past 2 golden generations(1986-90) (2002-2010) and is "holding them back". (I.e the hoolaboo about TAA not playing often) His tactics have actually masked a lot of weaknesses that exist in the group. Its really funny how he gets so much abuse yet he lost a major tourney final on the lottery of a shoot out. Against an Italy side that actually dumped out better sides than England in the tournament and played the best football in the entire tournament all tournement long. Plus have a far higher big tournament final pedigree. Yet the way most talk on here. One would think he faced a truly rubbish opponent in the final that was a perrenial international tournament pretender.
It's not a lottery. I mean even if we ignore the homework keepers and players do (or should do) on eachother, he decided to throw on two players barely warm and without any rhythm from the tournament to take kicks aswell as giving the crucial 5th one to a youngster who was quite evidently overwhelmed by the occasion.

Kaos

Yes, they all deserved a shot, my point is I have no problem with giving young underqualified coaches a chance, the problem was keeping them well past their sell by date. Neither were serious candidates at the time, Southgate got the job because of the Big Sam scandal. And like ole he got a tune out of the players. But unlike us, England haven't come close to winning anything for decades, that's why getting to the final was considered decent for some fans.
Not entirely sure that's true. England have always gone through iterations of possessing some serious talents, this generation happens to be another. So if anything they've been perennial underachievers, and hiring
It's a lazy comparison. Southgate got a 2nd tier international team to the late stages of the 2 major tournaments. Ole lost a Europa League final as manager of one of the biggest, most successful clubs in world football.
England are hardly second tier. Yes they've won feck all for almost 60 years, but considering the talent pool of this current generation, almost all of which play in the top league in the world, couple that to the fact they've had favourable draws and other favouring circumstances (e.g. playing at Wembley during the last Euros), then their achievements are hardly a testament to Gareth feckin Southgate.

Like Ole, Southgate seems to rely overly on moments of individual brilliance and hoping to hit teams on the break. He's hardly making use of the crop of talent available to him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not entirely sure that's true. England have always gone through iterations of possessing some serious talents, this generation happens to be another. So if anything they've been perennial underachievers, and hiring

England are hardly second tier. Yes they've won feck all for almost 60 years, but considering the talent pool of this current generation, almost all of which play in the top league in the world, couple that to the fact they've had favourable draws and other favouring circumstances (e.g. playing at Wembley during the last Euros), then their achievements are hardly a testament to Gareth feckin Southgate.

Like Ole, Southgate seems to rely overly on moments of individual brilliance and hoping to hit teams on the break. He's hardly making use of the crop of talent available to him.
The "team is not all that" line is often used as an excuse for underperforming managers.

I remember the same was being said about Lampard when it was becoming clear he (at that point in his career) took the team as far as he could then four months later the same players won the UCL passing Madrid of the pitch then going toe to toe with a Guardiola side.

little.triangles

Just read his quotes on Musiala. And the treatment of Sancho.. Jesus, this guy is such a hateable idiot.
The decision to leave Sancho out should be getting more heat. Nevermind mainstream media, even United fans are not really saying anything, even those who talk a good line about defending our players.

He has assisted and scored more than low-socks Grealish this season.

Feck Southgate.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

It's a nation with the same number of major tournament wins as the likes of Greece and Denmark. Getting to semis and finals is the ceiling. No manager is coming in and turning a reasonably talented squad with a fair amount of dross into free-flowing artistes and tournament favourites. Historically that just isn't England's level, but some people just can't accept it, which is why we're always having the same conversations, regardless of what year it is.

If Gazza/Shearer/ Rooney/Gerrard hit form, we've got a chance...

If Beckham/ Rooney recover from their injuries we've got a chance...

If we get rid of Eriksen/ Capello/ Hodgson/ Southgate we've got a chance.

This is England.

croadyman

Completely disagree with this. Rice, Bellingham, and Foden is more than enough to outplay teams in midfield with Mount, Phillips, Ward Prowse, and Henderson as backups. The issue is the shape of the team and personnel up front and at the back. Saka has to start, and they need another runner on the opposite wing if playing Kane. Whether that is Rashford, Bowen, or bashing it into Sterling’s head to stop dropping deep is up the the staff.

The team has plenty of options and ways they could play, with good footballers in most every position barring CB. But Southgate sets up like he’s coaching Wolves to grind out a 1-0 victory and doesn’t seem to have a clue tactically as to how he can form a cohesive attacking side.
I think maybe the point that poster was trying to make is England lack that playmaker and quick passer who can keep things ticking over but make things happen too

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
It's a nation with the same number of major tournament wins as the likes of Greece and Denmark. Getting to semis and finals is the ceiling. No manager is coming in and turning a reasonably talented squad with a fair amount of dross into free-flowing artistes and tournament favourites. Historically that just isn't England's level, but some people just can't accept it, which is why we're always having the same conversations, regardless of what year it is.

This is England.
No, this is basically wumming, but you have achieved that well. Hope no-one even bothers biting.

tomaldinho1

This is England.
I don’t think this is true at all. You can win tournaments with less depth and quality than England have - the issue is really a mirror of what United have generally been going through post SAF. Lots of decent players, lots of hype, poor managerial decisions and cowardly choices.

This is the FA that appointed Big Sam, just remember that.

croadyman

Convinced the likes of Tomori & Toney will feel rejected by England due to Southgate and play for someone else

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No. You just like him are using hindsight to make these claims. The reason they beat Argentina for example was because Argentina as per usual plain froze. They also never threatened Spain at all. Spain were pretty comfortable against them, which was no surprise because they weren't at that level yet. They were at the begining of their cycle in 2010. That is why 4 years later they matured into a winning team.
Mmmm I dunno. I tend to agree with @Gio on this. That germany side was already pretty great, better than England all in all as it had fewer weaknesses and was more cohesive

England, as always, had nothing beyond Rooney

Southgate is not a great manager. But he isnt remotely shit either abd he has done very well.
Thank you
People should stop pretending he has a generation as good as England's past 2 golden generations(1986-90) (2002-2010) and is "holding them back". (I.e the hoolaboo about TAA not playing often) His tactics have actually masked a lot of weaknesses that exist in the group. Its really funny how he gets so much abuse yet he lost a major tourney final on the lottery of a shoot out. Against an Italy side that actually dumped out better sides than England in the tournament and played the best football in the entire tournament all tournement long. Plus have a far higher big tournament final pedigree. Yet the way most talk on here. One would think he faced a truly rubbish opponent in the final that was a perrenial international tournament pretender.
Agree with everything except for the bolded. I think the talent pool now is better than the 2002-2010 period. Much greater attacking depth now. The death of those England sides was the lack of anything at all beyond Owen and then Rooney. The moment one of them went down it became pathetically easy to stop England's attack. England did not have a high enough technical level to really dominate games and put Gerrard and Lampard into goalscoring positions often enough(Capello often bemoaned Scholes retirement and blames himself for ignoring Carrick)

Pickle85

This is England.
How boring.

Vapor trail

Reckon he goes after the WC. It's one thing to have bad results but the manner in which England play, the poor team selections and favouritism. Those are behaviours that suit domestic club football as opposed to nationals. The issue is who do the FA replace him with.

alexanderplatz

He’s had two excellent tournaments and delivered results. He was the right man for the job given the stage England were at. Now the same players have big experience behind them and they probably need to get a manager in who can build on the solid foundation. The problem is there aren’t many English upgrades out there and the best option (Potter) won’t be interested now. If you’re the FA you’re probably thinking of either keeping Southgate on the basis that he has delivered before and you have faith he can do it again, even if it isn’t until euro 2024. Or you look beyond English managers, which is generally an exceptional event.

justsomebloke

The comparison to Greece and Denmark is all the evidence that's needed tbh, with no disrespect to those nations.
That's really not a comparison, just a statement of fact (number of titles). He's not writing that England as a football nation is comparable to DEN or GRE.

justsomebloke

The comparison is laughable - it works in one way and one way only, which is that some people have similar feelings about OGS and Southgate, and hence like to think they're similar.

Southgate is the only England manager who has ever reached the top 4 in consecutive tournaments. If you put OGS achievements in the context of all previous Utd managers, are you seeing something to equal that?

Pickle85

That's really not a comparison, just a statement of fact (number of titles). He's not writing that England as a football nation is comparable to DEN or GRE.
Come on now, you're being willfully obtuse. It's a clear wum. Why not use Netherlands or Portugal as points of comparison, in that case?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What did he say about Musiala?
Nothing too bad actually, just pretty small time and passive aggressive. He was pissed off that German internationals allegedly talked a young player into playing for Germany (calling it a "disgrace") and was then asked what he expects from Musiala in the future, answering "I don't care about Musiala's future"

justsomebloke

So fecking what? It's just a factual statement.
Come on now, you're being willfully obtuse. It's a clear wum. Why not use Netherlands or Portugal as points of comparison, in that case?
It's not a clear wum just because you don't like hearing it! The point is basically valid, and the statement is factually correct.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nothing too bad actually, just pretty small time and passive aggressive. He was pissed off that German internationals allegedly talked a young player into playing for Germany (calling it a "disgrace") and was then asked what he expects from Musiala in the future, answering "I don't care about Musiala's future"
I'm not quite sure what's wrong with that?

I mean, I actually do find him unlikeable in general, but it was a stupid question and a genuine answer. Pretty touchy if this is what leads you to believe he's a "hateable idiot".

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I mostly agree with those who argue that Southgate hasn't been insanely underwhelming in terms of getting the most out of the players available to him. Some (several) of those players are vastly overrated by those who make the argument that he's failed to take advantage of a golden-ish generation of English footballers.

The problem with him is that he just doesn't look like a top manager. The comparisons with Ole are fair enough in that regard. He hasn't produced insanely bad results - it's just a bit meh all things said and done, and why not try to improve on "meh" if you actually have ambitions?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mostly agree with those who argue that Southgate hasn't been insanely underwhelming in terms of getting the most out of the players available to him. Some (several) of those players are vastly overrated by those who make the argument that he's failed to take advantage of a golden-ish generation of English footballers.
I don't necessarily make that claim, I think this idea of golden generation is always a bit warped. What I do think though is that the current generation is much more technically proficient than previous generations, and that it's quite stacked with attacking talent, and yet it mostly plays boring, conservative football. That's on him, and while it can work ok in tournament competitions, it's a shame considering what could be done with this batch of players.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I mean, I actually do find him unlikeable in general
Yeah, same.

I hear people talking him up as likeable all the time but I don't quite get it.

I don't find either him or the team as such particularly likeable.

Why not? I dunno exactly. He isn't obviously unlikeable either, just a bit dull. I suppose some people see something either a bit awkward or a bit "humble" in him that they find likeable...but I don't quite see that myself.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's on him, and while it can work ok in tournament competitions, it's a shame considering what could be done with this batch of players.
I think it's clear as day that a more - call it what you will - progressive manager could get more out of certain players and improve the overall style of play (looking less dire and workmanlike).

Possibly, though, without improving results greatly. But then again, he hasn't won anything with his ultra pragmatic approach, so why not try something a bit more adventurous.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

This is England.
If that really is our "ceiling" then all the more reason to make the games more fun. It's utter nonsense to suggest what Southgate is serving up is the only way to be competitive, relatively or otherwise.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not quite sure what's wrong with that?

I mean, I actually do find him unlikeable in general, but it was a stupid question and a genuine answer. Pretty touchy if this is what leads you to believe he's a "hateable idiot".
I think it's generally a really bitchy answer since he's attacking a 19 year old player. Not really appropriate for the head coach of such a big football nation. I would definitely expect a classier answer from Flick or Löw before him. If you want to criticize someone, criticize the association not the player.

However, Southgate has history for saying stupid and dumb things which makes it even worse. He has that aura of nationalism surrounding him. So yeah, I think he's a very hateable bloke. And not the sharpest tool in the shed on top of it.

Oranges038

This is England.
So it's never coming home?

Varane around town

What club would employ Southgate if/when he leaves England?

I'd say he'd get a chance a mid-table Premier League clubs. Palace, Aston Villa, Southampton, etc

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't necessarily make that claim, I think this idea of golden generation is always a bit warped. What I do think though is that the current generation is much more technically proficient than previous generations, and that it's quite stacked with attacking talent, and yet it mostly plays boring, conservative football. That's on him, and while it can work ok in tournament competitions, it's a shame considering what could be done with this batch of players.
Yep. I think even with a 3atb formation there's a team more than capable of playing front foot football.

James/Chilwell on form is one of the most exciting/productive wingback combos there is. Walker, Stones and Tomori have won titles in front foot systems and are a more than capable back three. Phillips and Bellingham are capable of playing in midfield in progressive systems as are a front three consisting of any Sancho, Kane, Grealish, Sterling, Mount, Rashford, Saka (at the risk of ridicule I would add CHO to the mix if he keeps up his good form at Bayer).

Less talented sides than that are being competitive in the PL and winning multiple head to heads vs top six sides playing open expansive football, it's nonsense to suggest this England team aren't capable.