So what's next for Sir Gareth Southgate?

GlasgowCeltic

This is why United fans were the first to call him out when other fans were saying, WC semi and Euros Final.

Ole got us 2nd and Europa final too, but the football that went with it wasn't great.

England however well they have done, rely massively on set pieces and their defence keeping a clean sheet. The football is dreadful, players look like they cant pass.

I was watching the Italy game and the way they easily played out the press reminded me so much of when teams looked like prime Barca at OT.
on the other hand virtually everyone in football was saying Ole was dreadful before many Utd fans would even consider the idea he wasn’t up to it

Castia

5 at the back consisting of Maguire, Dier and Stones

What a load of shite

Acole9

Outstanding
Southgate you're the one, you still turn us on. Footballs coming home again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Odd thing to say with a lead over Germany with all the stats having his side on top to be honest
not really. He’s playing a woefully average defender low on confidence and it’s of no surprise he’s dropping gaffes when he sends someone like Tomori home.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s funny cause he will revert to the same tactics and side in the WC that meant they were 2-0 down rather than play attacking football and be winning in the first place.
Yep. As I said on the other thread the performance since 2-0 makes his general tactics all the more unforgivable. Completely puts to bed this nonsense that this team are too limited to go toe to toe with other major nations.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yep. As I said on the other thread the performance since 2-0 makes his general tactics all the more unforgivable. Completely puts to bed this nonsense that this team are too limited to go toe to toe with other major nations.
Yep, there is so much progressive potential in the squad and he absolutely nullifies all of it.

Abraxas

The attacking was pretty good today.

But then the defence shits the bed. Seems like we can't put both together on any one occasion.

Sylar

It will suck watching him be cautious with a great pool of attacking players.
Especially the amount of talent with a bench to change things too if everyone is fully fit

He will revert to type in the world cup. Probably beat the teams we should, convincingly and then be way too cautious against a named country despite having as much talented players as that country

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Pretty sure that the sole reason that the last 2 tournaments have ended in deep runs is the poor quality opposition England had to face to get there.

I don't think anyone can seriously claim that beating Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and needing penalties to overcome Colombia while losing twice to Belgium and once to Croatia constitutes a fantastic World Cup performance that would be beyond Southy's predecessors. Saying "World Cup semi-finalist" misses the reality that England will never again have more luck with fixtures...and that includes the 2022 tourney.
Same old lane excuses. You faced easier fixtures that that before and still got out. Don't forget how Iceland once kicked you out. How a German side packed with under 21 heroes bested your golden generation when they had zero business doing so. So pretending Southgate played no one' is disingenuous in the extreme. Especially since he did what he was supposed to in international tournaments where others failed. Namely beat what was in front of him. And frankly any one who thinks his team had any business competing with Belgium and Croatia the times he lost to them. Let alone think his side was 'superior' to the Italian side that won the Euros is just plain deluded.

The attacking was pretty good today.

But then the defence shits the bed. Seems like we can't put both together on any one occasion.
The defence things are kinda easily fixable though. There were simply individual errors. Uncharacteristic one from Pope who isn't first choice. Plus A sign of Maguire's decline in form for the other 2. Y'all should be very pleased however how the 4 and 3 ahead of the defence functioned all game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I hope I am wrong but I can't see England achieving anything under waistcoat.

Abraxas

The defence things is easily fixable though. There were simply individual errors. Uncharacteristic one from Pope. A sign of Maguire's decline in form for the other 2. Y'all should be very pleased however how the 4 and 3 ahead of the defence functioned all game.
They were but this lot are quite prone to such errors. Which makes it harder to fix really, what can you do? Tell them not to be stupid? I'm not really sure, the options are so limited at the back it's hard work and that's where Southgate's pragmatism comes from I believe. Although he's probably naturally inclined that way. We defended reasonably at the Euros but we went with Rice and Phillips there.

BerryBerryShrew

Same old lane excuses. You faced easier fixtures that that before and still got out. Don't forget how Iceland once kicked you out. How a German side packed with under 21 heroes bested your golden generation when they had zero business doing so. So pretending Southgate played no one' is disingenuous in the extreme. Especially since he did what he was supposed to in international tournaments where others failed. Namely beat what was in front of him. And frankly any one who thinks his team had any business competing with Belgium and Croatia the times he lost to them. Let alone think his side was 'superior' to the Italian side that won the Euros is just plain deluded.
Firstly, I'm Irish.

Secondly, beating what is put in front of you is easier when the teams that are put in front of you are poor (obviously).

Thirdly, Belgium are a nothing side outside of KdB and quite possibly the single most overrated side in world football over the last decade (club or country).

Fourthly, the German side that put England out previously was a brilliant team. Claiming that they were an U21 team is disingenuous at best. A team containing Neuer, Lahm, Boateng, Khedira, Schweini, Özil, Klose, and Muller is a hell of a lot better than anything Southgate has faced let alone defeated in his English managerial career.

Other than Iceland, England have generally been very good at beating sides that they are better than and getting knocked out by sides that are equal to or better than them. If I was being generous I'd say that Southgate has merely continued that trend but I don't think that England should have been losing to Belgium at least.

TheReligion

Abusive
4-3-3, pace either side of Kane and stop playing Foden wide and watch the team flourish. It’s not hard Gareth (and neither is my cock)

Firstly, I'm Irish.
My bad...

Secondly, beating what is put in front of you is easier when the teams that are put in front of you are poor (obviously).
I repeat. Previous England sides lost to worse quality sides than Belgium and Croatia. So you are plain emphasizing my position

Thirdly, Belgium are a nothing side outside of KdB and quite possibly the single most overrated side in world football over the last decade (club or country).
This is laughable. The Belgium side that bested them had Courtois in goal and a defence of the likes of Vertonghen and Alderwereld when they were still good. Their midfield had quality led by KDB. Their attack too had both Eden Hazard and Dries Mertens at their best as options. While Lukaku has always been ace for them at that level. England were comfortably levels below them. Belgium being kinda overrated above their station as 'favorites" for tournaments doesn't suddenly reinvent then into the one man team you claim

Fourthly, the German side that put England out previously was a brilliant team. Claiming that they were an U21 team is disingenuous at best. A team containing Neuer, Lahm, Boateng, Khedira, Schweini, Özil, Klose, and Muller is a hell of a lot better than anything Southgate has faced let alone defeated in his English managerial career.
More laughable claims. The ONLY experienced stars in that Germany side were if IRC were Klose , Lahm and Schweinstieger. Neuer, Ozil, Muller, Khedira were all fresh from lifting the Under 21 Euros with Germany. Neuer even only usurped Adler's starting berth due to his injury. This is fact. Not conjecture. They had no business at that stage of development beating England's golden generation for they were a developing team. Not yet a brilliant one. Any claim of them being 'brilliant" is just hindsight. Not reality.

I will forever Insist. They had no business competing with Belgium nor Croatia the times the lost to them. And frankly they had no business losing to Germany 2010 and Iceland with better coaches than Southgate actually is. Plus much better personal in 2010.

Judas

Open to offers
Didn't even bother watching it tonight, can someone who is actually measured and not a totally over the top lunatic tell me how we played. Shite, then kitchen sink thrown to try and save it?

They were but this lot are quite prone to such errors. Which makes it harder to fix really, what can you do? Tell them not to be stupid? I'm not really sure, the options are so limited at the back it's hard work and that's where Southgate's pragmatism comes from I believe. Although he's probably naturally inclined that way. We defended reasonably at the Euros but we went with Rice and Phillips there.
I believe the Rice and Phillips thing happened because there wasn't a Bellingham type around. I also agree the nature of the center defenders is why he tends to be pragmatic and rightly so. Yet I believe having a Bellingham type in midfield can make what seems like a pragmatic shape more fluid and attacking. Because IMO as long as England can keep almost all out at the back. If they have a Bellingham helping to create from deep, freeing the wingbacks to be more front foot than defensive. Its basically up to whoever is involved in the from 3 to win games. If they are clinical England's chances go up exponentially vs even the best. Today for example with better finishing Sterling could have put England out of sight before we Germans struck. Yet changes off the bench in the front 3 changed the game on its head when it looked like we could run away with it

Last edited:

The Purley King

Didn't even bother watching it tonight, can someone who is actually measured and not a totally over the top lunatic tell me how we played. Shite, then kitchen sink thrown to try and save it?
Actually did ok by Southgate’s very low bar.
2 goals conceded from extremely poor individual errors (Maguire, pope)
Never looked entirely comfortable but had a purple patch when 2-0 down that ripped right through Germany.
A good side would have beaten Germany pretty comfortably tonight. They were poor.
Usual story of cowardice until it wasn’t appropriate any more (even though Germany didn’t threaten too much and scored from two horrific feck ups and a good finish from havertz) but for 20 minutes when our tails were up we looked really very good.
we should play like that from the start. Klopp style blitz in the first 15 minutes but Gareth would lose his waistcoat if we actually tried something adventurous from the off.

BerryBerryShrew

I repeat. Previous England sides lost to worse quality sides than Belgium and Croatia. So you are plain emphasizing my position
My opinion is that (aside from Iceland) they didn't for as long as I can recall. The Argie side that they were knocked out by in 98, the Brazil side they were knocked out by in 02 and the Portuguese sides they seemed to be knocked out by in most tournaments were all several levels above Belgium. But that is an opinion. Fair enough if yours is different.

This is laughable. The Belgium side that bested them had Courtois in goal and a defence of the likes of Vertonghen and Alderwereld when they were still good. Their midfield had quality led by KDB. Their attack too had both Eden Hazard and Dries Mertens at their best as options. While Lukaku has always been ace for them at that level. England were comfortably levels below them. Belgium being kinda overrated above their station as 'favorites" for tournaments doesn't suddenly reinvent then into the one man team you claim
Vertonghen and Alderweireld were both past their primes and their primes were spent playing in a back 3 at Spurs. Their midfield had the likes of Fellaini and Witsel alongside KdB. Hardly quality. Hazard was not fully fit, Mertens was no worldbeater and....I think you know you're reaching a bit with Lukaku!

More laughable claims. The ONLY experienced stars in that Germany side were if IRC were Klose , Lahm and Schweinstieger. Neuer, Ozil, Muller, Khedira were all fresh from lifting the Under 21 Euros with Germany. Neuer even only usurped Adler's starting berth due to his injury. This is fact. Not conjecture. They had no business at that stage of development beating England's golden generation for they were a developing team. Not yet a brilliant one. Any claim of them being 'brilliant" is just hindsight. Not reality.
I'm honestly not sure what you are trying to say here. Hindsight is surely the best way to judge a team? I agree that I didn't know how good the likes of Ozil, Muller, Khedira etc were before the tourney but I sure as hell did after. As an example, are you really saying that Manuel Neuer (arguably the greatest player to ever play in his position) should not be judged as a good player in 2010 because at the time we did not know how good he was? Your point would have merit if these U21 players were thrown in by Germany, had a decent tournament and then faded into obscurity but pretty much all of them proved to be top class players for at least a decade afterwards.

I will forever Insist. They had no business competing with Belgium nor Croatia the times the lost to them. And frankly they had no business losing to Germany 2010 and Iceland with better coaches than Southgate actually is. Plus much better personal in 2010.
What teams, out of interest, that England beat in 2018 did you feel were better than Germany 2010? Because my initial point was that Southgate was getting plaudits for getting to a WC semi final but that if Capello, Ericsson, Hoddle etc had the same draw then we would have been (at least) no worse off. So presumably you must feel that the Colombia side that England needed pens to get past in 2018 was better than the Ronaldo-Rivaldo-Ronaldinho Brazil side of 2002?

corno_mufc

Can't deny the squad are still playing for him.

433 is a must though, and a more attacking mindset.

There was a spell towards the end of the first half, plus of course after Mount and Saka came on, which showed how England really can play.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Firstly, I'm Irish.

Other than Iceland, England have generally been very good at beating sides that they are better than and getting knocked out by sides that are equal to or better than them. If I was being generous I'd say that Southgate has merely continued that trend but I don't think that England should have been losing to Belgium at least.
Belgium is a very good side

Ireland, Scotland, Turkey, Lithuania, etc are nothing sides...not Belgium.

England wasn't better than Belgium last WC, not sure if they better now, at least Belgium plays offensive footy.

BerryBerryShrew

Belgium is a very good side

Ireland, Scotland, Turkey, Lithuania, etc are nothing sides...not Belgium.

England wasn't better than Belgium last WC, not sure if they better now, at least Belgium plays offensive footy.
Even if they are (they aren't!) what difference does it make? England still lost to them twice. It's not a feather in Southgate's cap to lose to Belgium irrespective of how highly you rate them.