So what's next for Sir Gareth Southgate?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah, same.

I hear people talking him up as likeable all the time but I don't quite get it.

I don't find either him or the team as such particularly likeable.

Why not? I dunno exactly. He isn't obviously unlikeable either, just a bit dull. I suppose some people see something either a bit awkward or a bit "humble" in him that they find likeable...but I don't quite see that myself.
I feel the same way - though I don't think he's actually all that humble, I think he thinks quite highly of himself in reality.
I think it's clear as day that a more - call it what you will - progressive manager could get more out of certain players and improve the overall style of play (looking less dire and workmanlike).

Possibly, though, without improving results greatly. But then again, he hasn't won anything with his ultra pragmatic approach, so why not try something a bit more adventurous.
My thoughts exactly. Watching boring football over 7 games to be able to say "ah well we made it to the semis or final", meh. Especially against "smaller" sides. But he always has the same gameplan, it's boring.
I think it's generally a really bitchy answer since he's attacking a 19 year old player.
Except he's absolutely not attacking a 19yo player. You're being overly sensitive about a fair response to a dumb question.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Mmmm I dunno. I tend to agree with @Gio on this. That germany side was already pretty great, better than England all in all as it had fewer weaknesses and was more cohesive

England, as always, had nothing beyond Rooney

Thank you

Agree with everything except for the bolded. I think the talent pool now is better than the 2002-2010 period. Much greater attacking depth now. The death of those England sides was the lack of anything at all beyond Owen and then Rooney. The moment one of them went down it became pathetically easy to stop England's attack. England did not have a high enough technical level to really dominate games and put Gerrard and Lampard into goalscoring positions often enough(Capello often bemoaned Scholes retirement and blames himself for ignoring Carrick)
Funnily enough, I think our best chance of a tournament win was '98. That side was pretty well balanced compared to other England teams. It was certainly better than 2002 and I think there is an argument that the starting XI was more balanced than 06; although the 06 side had more depth.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If that really is our "ceiling" then all the more reason to make the games more fun. It's utter nonsense to suggest what Southgate is serving up is the only way to be competitive, relatively or otherwise.
I didn't say that though, did I? I don't rate Southgate and do think he's a boring manager. I also don't think any other manager would've achieved more than him with this England team. It's really not all that.

mikeyt

Reckon he goes after the WC. It's one thing to have bad results but the manner in which England play, the poor team selections and favouritism. Those are behaviours that suit domestic club football as opposed to nationals. The issue is who do the FA replace him with.
I don't see him going even if we go out in the group. The FA love him regardless and he'll get another tournament purely because he made the semi in Russia and the final of the Euros. If the FA were forward thinking, which we know they aren't, Southgate would have got the boot after the Hungary mess.

Southgate already knows his team to start against Iran and it's all irrelevant of what players do between now and then, he's a joke!

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Agree to disagree I guess.
100% wumming :D

I don’t dislike Southgate, I don’t find him particularly offensive personally. Actually, in the Russia WC I thought he did an outstanding job with the squad at his disposal. He created great team spirit and his tactics suited a team that let’s not forget had JLingz as a starter.

It’s different now he has a host of players that play for elite sides which function by means of possession based control of games.

Comparisons with Ole are more than justified. Under qualified interim appointment gets full gig based on restoring positivity and confidence.Found success mainly by clogging up midfield with willing runner/destroyers and hitting trams with pace on the counter. Sticks with certain favourite players despite poor form and, unlike Utd, plenty of competition for places.. Lost a final, that he had a great shot at winning, with negative tactics and appalling use of substitutes. Plenty of parallels.

The idea England, or any nation for that matter, just stays at whatever level it is year in year put - became of what? Some sort of national genotypeor phenotype or something? - is absurd. It’s like arguing China is a poor country because historically it has been poor. You can’t compare like that across generations when teams change, structures change. Can’t remember Belgium being any good a couple of decades ago. Someone should tell them they’re not Belgium any more now they have good players. Maybe they can get a new name?

it’s the kind of idiot logic shouldn’t even warrant a response, but I’ve ended up biting now god dammit.

Pickle85

I don’t dislike Southgate, I don’t find him particularly offensive personally. Actually, in the Russia WC I thought he did an outstanding job with the squad at his disposal. He created great team spirit and his tactics suited a team that let’s not forget had JLingz as a starter.

It’s different now he has a host of players that play for elite sides which function by means of possession based control of games.

Comparisons with Ole are more than justified. Under qualified interim appointment gets full gig based on restoring positivity and confidence.Found success mainly by clogging up midfield with willing runner/destroyers and hitting trams with pace on the counter. Sticks with certain favourite players despite poor form and, unlike Utd, plenty of competition for places.. Lost a final, that he had a great shot at winning, with negative tactics and appalling use of substitutes. Plenty of parallels.

The idea England, or any nation for that matter, just stays at whatever level it is year in year put - became of what? Some sort of national genotypeor phenotype or something? - is absurd. It’s like arguing China is a poor country because historically it has been poor. You can’t compare like that across generations when teams change, structures change. Can’t remember Belgium being any good a couple of decades ago. Someone should tell them they’re not Belgium any more now they have good players. Maybe they can get a new name?

it’s the kind of idiot logic shouldn’t even warrant a response, but I’ve ended up biting now god dammit.
Agreed! The minute Greece and Denmark came out of was clear as day.

justsomebloke

It may be idiot logic, but it's your own - what you've done here is construct a strawman to argue against. I don't think anyone have suggested that national teams have an unchanging quality. What is the case however is that the sort of unreasoning expectation level Southgate, and other England managers before him, is facing would only have been justified if England had a consistent record of major tournament success, which it doesn't.

Of course you can compare Southgate to Ole in terms of style etc, like you can compare any manager to any other manager. What you really can't compare is their results. Because if you do, you either have unreasonably low expectations for this club, or unreal expectations for England.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Except he's absolutely not attacking a 19yo player. You're being overly sensitive about a fair response to a dumb question.
After watching it (only read it before), I think you're right. Fell into the confirmation bias, sorry!

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
It may be idiot logic, but it's your own - what you've done here is construct a strawman to argue against. I don't think anyone have suggested that national teams have an unchanging quality. What is the case however is that the sort of unreasoning expectation level Southgate, and other England managers before him, is facing would only have been justified if England had a consistent record of major tournament success, which it doesn't.

Of course you can compare Southgate to Ole in terms of style etc, like you can compare any manager to any other manager. What you really can't compare is their results. Because if you do, you either have unreasonably low expectations for this club, or unreal expectations for England.
No not really mate. The poster literally put three sentences together which typify England over entirely different generations with the summary 'This is England'. For a country with population the size of England's in addition to the amount of money that flows from the premier league and into the academies, yeah England should expect to do better in major tournaments. It's really not rocket science. Do you think shareholders would be happy with {fizer if they only made fecking calpol?