Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Can we not bring a full back up fron the under 23s? I hate the idea of him having to focus on left back duties rather than what we are all hoping he will be really good at, which is being some kind of Busquets/Modric hybrid
:lol:

I think most of us would settle for him showing for the ball and giving it to somebody else in a United shirt consistently and putting himself about a bit defensively.

Gordon S

Our best left-back is a guy born in 2007 who has played about three matches for our U18.
Luke was 16 when he got the debut for Southampton iirc. Would be one hell of story if Harry stepped up directly to the first team :drool:

ShinjiNinja26

We haven't really had much luck post Fergie when we've beaten City or Liverpool to a player. If anything it's terrifying that Liverpool pulled out of signing him.
They didn’t pull out of signing him, he snubbed them to sign for us. There were reports of it during the summer that we were his priority.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We haven't really had much luck post Fergie when we've beaten City or Liverpool to a player. If anything it's terrifying that Liverpool pulled out of signing him.
Pulled out? I think you’ll find they really wanted him, as did several others and he was firm “I only want United”

Ekeke

Liverpool are 2nd while Amrabat has been unfit for the first 5 games of the season. Think they're over it. Might have got Endo's 3 sub appearances and 1 start if he was fit and went there

ShinjiNinja26

Liverpool are 2nd while Amrabat has been unfit for the first 5 games of the season. Think they're over it. Might have got Endo's 3 sub appearances and 1 start if he was fit and went there
Nah, they decided to spend £34m on their back up option to Amrabat in Gravenberch. How many starts has he had?

erikcred

They didn’t pull out of signing him, he snubbed them to sign for us. There were reports of it during the summer that we were his priority.
Pulled out? I think you’ll find they really wanted him, as did several others and he was firm “I only want United”
That tweet leads to an article that says that Liverpool pulled out and signed Gravenberch when Ambrabat's team put talks on hold for 24 hours and this happened after Klopp spoke to him.

This means that Amrabat and team were clearly in conversation with Liverpool for a while. Doesn't sound like a "wanted only United" situation.

Of course I'm glad we got him. Just wary about being too excited about his snubbing Liverpool until he's actually been good for us. 10 times bitten 11 times shy and all that...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That tweet leads to an article that says that Liverpool pulled out and signed Gravenberch when Ambrabat's team put talks on hold for 24 hours and this happened after Klopp spoke to him.

This means that Amrabat and team were clearly in conversation with Liverpool for a while. Doesn't sound like a "wanted only United" situation.

Of course I'm glad we got him. Just wary about being too excited about his snubbing Liverpool until he's actually been good for us. 10 times bitten 11 times shy and all that...
Clearly he was waiting on United and Liverpool thought feck that and moved on.
Agree with what you’re saying about waiting and seeing. Should be the same for any signing obviously.

zaafi

Amrabat snubbed them just like Caicedo did :smirk:

zaafi

You think Amrabat is going to be better than Gravenberch?
Amrabat was the better fit for us than Gravenberch would have been. He does not have the ability to control the game with passing, like Amrabat has, and that's what we needed.

ShinjiNinja26

You think Amrabat is going to be better than Gravenberch?
As has been said they’re a different profile of player, Amrabat is a much better fit for what we’re looking for imo. I also don’t think spending £34m on someone who flopped hard at Bayern is particularly good business.

Ekeke

As has been said they’re a different profile of player, Amrabat is a much better fit for what we’re looking for imo. I also don’t think spending £34m on someone who flopped hard at Bayern is particularly good business.
How about signing someone who wasnt a standout at Fiorentina?

Ekeke

Amrabat was the better fit for us than Gravenberch would have been. He does not have the ability to control the game with passing, like Amrabat has, and that's what we needed.
We'll see. He can pass a bit but we dont play like we want to control the ball with passing. So when he finally starts some matches for us, I wont be surprised if he doesnt do it either.

Levi1

That is what snubbing looks like most of the time. He was keeping them on the back burner in case United didn't get over the line

TsuWave

fecking hell. Get some spine man.

erikcred

That is what snubbing looks like most of the time. He was keeping them on the back burner in case United didn't get over the line

I'm not saying he didn't eventually snub them. Just saying that him keeping Liverpool on the back burner is not the same as "I want only United" like someone pointed out.

More importantly, I was saying that him rejecting Liverpool for us shouldn't count as brownie points or something. I'm scarred after getting all giddy beating City to Alexis Sanchez and Maguire and Liverpool to Depay and Phil Jones back in the day.

Ekeke

The difference being we’ve only signed this guy on loan so if it doesn’t work out no biggy, if it does then great we can sign him permanently in the summer for a very reasonable price.
We signed him on loan for the same price Forest paid for the full transfer of someone who stood out at Bologna, who finished 2 points and 1 place behind Fiorentina last season

10 million euros is only a small amount to teams that are bad with money. Especially when you're talking about a loan fee. Thats a superstar loan fee

Last edited:

Tarrou

you wouldn't think a player snubbing Liverpool to join us would be a reason to have a whinge but here we are I guess

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He hasn’t exactly proved himself with his signings so far.
ETH? I mean Martinez, Casemiro hasn’t worked out to bad. Verdict still on the signings this season.

Glorio

So weird watching him for us. Been a fan a long time and never thought he'd end up here. I hope he settles well.
Which other players of ours do you rate, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Glorio

It's when City "lose out" on signing anyone we're interested in, that you need to really be concerned!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We signed him on loan for the same price Forest paid for the full transfer of someone who stood out at Bologna, who finished 2 points and 1 place behind Fiorentina last season

10 million euros is only a small amount to teams that are bad with money. Especially when you're talking about a loan fee. Thats a superstar loan fee
Dominguez looks a player, but he's a different type of player. You have to look at the passing and possession stats to see why we'd want Amrabat.

Dominguez is more of an all action box-to-box type. Operates further forward, tries riskier passes, presses more, pops up with a few goals and assists, loses the ball a bit. He looks a good player, but on the ball he'd just be more of what we get from Casemiro and Bruno.

Amrabat is a high volume passer, operates deeper, recycles possession and can carry the ball through midfield. Doesn't misplace many passes. Doesn't miscontrol the ball. Doesn't get dispossessed. Gets the ball neatly from defence to attack. He might not be an objectively better player, but his strengths are absolutely what our midfield has been missing.

TheReligion

Abusive
Dominguez looks a player, but he's a different type of player. You have to look at the passing and possession stats to see why we'd want Amrabat.

Dominguez is more of an all action box-to-box type. Operates further forward, tries riskier passes, presses more, pops up with a few goals and assists, loses the ball a bit. He looks a good player, but on the ball he'd just be more of what we get from Casemiro and Bruno.

Amrabat is a high volume passer, operates deeper, recycles possession and can carry the ball through midfield. Doesn't misplace many passes. Doesn't miscontrol the ball. Doesn't get dispossessed. Gets the ball neatly from defence to attack. He might not be an objectively better player, but his strengths are absolutely what our midfield has been missing.
It’s a lazy comparison by @Ekeke thats for sure

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Looks like he's going to be utilised as the inverted fullback tonight.

acid_fuji

Looks like he's going to be utilised as the inverted fullback tonight.
I came here to say that. Sounds good to me - he can jump into midfield. Wonder though how he will work defensively as full back