Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

BorisManUtd

We won't keep him but he should have got more minutes at times this season. We drop most points this spring anyway.

Ekeke

I still think stylistically he shows what we are missing. He obviously makes a couple of big errors every game that can be costly, but I love his willingness to get on the ball. Overall I think he makes us a better team despite his limitations. The priority in the summer is signing a player in his profile (high volume passer) but just a better player and ideally someone more physically gifted. Controversially I’d still sign Amrabat for a low fee and cash in on Casa if we can.
Casemiro does it when he plays in midfield. Thats the issue. He's a worse version of a DM we already have and makes the same poor mistakes. If we didnt already have a player that does it then sure, but we do. And with our injuries we need good backups. Casemiro would be a much better one than Amrabat just like hes been a better midfielder this season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Casemiro does it when he plays in midfield. Thats the issue. He's a worse version of a DM we already have and makes the same poor mistakes. If we didnt already have a player that does it then sure, but we do. And with our injuries we need good backups. Casemiro would be a much better one than Amrabat just like hes been a better midfielder this season.
I don’t think Casa is anywhere near as assured in possession. He’s equally liable to the weird hospital passes like Amrabat. Amrabat is better at showing for the ball. Maybe the stats will say otherwise but I’d say the eye test suggests he gets on the ball more than any Utd player bar Bruno in midfield.

Zoo

A lot of the comments remind me of Sabitzer last year and he’s gone on to do well again in his career at Dortmund. He has been underused when hencould have offered something and like others left exposed by Ten Hag’s shit tactics.

Ekeke

A lot of the comments remind me of Sabitzer last year and he’s gone on to do well again in his career at Dortmund. He has been underused when hencould have offered something and like others left exposed by Ten Hag’s shit tactics.
Sabitzer is a more attacking player that we mostly used in a more conservative role. Amrabat is being used in his main role and isnt good enough. Sabitzer had also shown far more in his career than Amrabat had done.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

I don’t think Casa is anywhere near as assured in possession. He’s equally liable to the weird hospital passes like Amrabat. Amrabat is better at showing for the ball. Maybe the stats will say otherwise but I’d say the eye test suggests he gets on the ball more than any Utd player bar Bruno in midfield.
Agreed, also Casemiro tends to get forward more, leaving the massive midfield hole that's been a disaster this season. Amrabat at least stays in position, even if he's not good enough there.

Teja

He's another one of those players, like Wan-Bissaka and Maguire, that would be good in a low block team. Unfortunately we've got too many of them.
I will whisper it quietly but a guy like Emery could get a tune out of this squad.

I think that's a local maxima though and we've come pretty close to it with Ole, so if we want to take the next step, we need to nail down the positional play principles and become a side that can build up, counter press etc.

Winrar

Yeah. If you go back and look at Sabitzer performance thread from last season, most comments towards the end were negative.

Ekeke

Have you seen Amrabat play? He's not assured with the ball, he gives it away. He's made mistakes taking a bad touch and being tackled, this week he's giving it straight to Arsenal players with a pass. These are exactly the issues Casemiro has had. Meanwhile Casemiro, for all those mistakes and giving the ball away he creates oppertunities with his passing and he makes tackles. Both of these are better than Amrabat while Amrabat is a bit better at running, just not much faster.

Edit - The stats are that Casemiro (in CM/DM) has made 58 passes per 90 and Amrabat 57.9 so near identical.

Nori-

I might be wrong, but i remember reading we have an obligation to buy Amrabat this summer? We had to delay the purchase to this year to keep within FFP.

If thats not that case and he goes back then great, he really hasnt impressed.

Ekeke

I might be wrong, but i remember reading we have an obligation to buy Amrabat this summer? We had to delay the purchase to this year to keep within FFP.

If thats not that case and he goes back then great, he really hasnt impressed.
I think its a buy option but it wouldnt surprise me given what we know about the deal so far. It seems like we gave Fiorentina assurances we'd be buying him outright then didnt have the money, hence the expensive loan and a fee at a later date if we want it to be permanent. Mandatory buy would be in that same sort of make good sentiment

TrustInJanuzaj

Agreed, also Casemiro tends to get forward more, leaving the massive midfield hole that's been a disaster this season. Amrabat at least stays in position, even if he's not good enough there.
Yep, just to clarify for others, I’m absolutely not saying Amrabat is the answer, but stylistically I think he’s the right kind of player. We desperately need a younger player with the energy and physical gifts to cover ground, but at the same time a high volume passer. That’s a difficult profile to fill though.

TrustInJanuzaj

Have you seen Amrabat play? He's not assured with the ball, he gives it away. He's made mistakes taking a bad touch and being tackled, this week he's giving it straight to Arsenal players with a pass. These are exactly the issues Casemiro has had. Meanwhile Casemiro, for all those mistakes and giving the ball away he creates oppertunities with his passing and he makes tackles. Both of these are better than Amrabat while Amrabat is a bit better at running, just not much faster.

Edit - The stats are that Casemiro (in CM/DM) has made 58 passes per 90 and Amrabat 57.9 so near identical.
Thanks for sharing the stats and that is fairly interesting reading. I agree that Casa is more progressive in his passing, but I think he’s also more loose in possession. Amrabat is a weird one where he can be fine for 30 minutest then play two howlers in 30 seconds. I still think he’s the best midfielder in the squad for showing for the ball in all situations, I’m just not convinced he’s actually good enough to take it in all positions. Ideally Mainoo would develop those traits, because he actually does have the ability to take the ball in all positions, evade the press and play simple passes. For now though with Mainoo developing, we do need a high volume passer in the team and preferably one less loose in possession than either Casa or Amrabat.

AndyMUFC

It's a shame he's not done better, because to be honest we're not exactly blessed with options in midfield with Casemiro, Eriksen and McTominay's performances and their futures all being in doubt.

sammyhol

He’s a limited player… and probably not one we should be looking to sign in summer.

But he has been SOOOO underused this season. Especially when Casemiro has been injured/out of form. We just look more solid with him in the team.

Bwuk

I don’t rate him but he’s the best partner in terms of style we have to partner Mainoo.

Ekeke

Won the ball a decent amount, picked up a lot of loose balls in midfield. Unfortunately on the ball he was terrible. Several loose and poor touches to set Newcastle away. It was similar to when Fred plays poorly

Yagami

Good post resistant
He has to keep his place, but I think Casemiro will be back in midfield once Martinez is ready to start.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Played well. Loan hasn't turned out well but he's ending it well.

Should send him back though for sure

tomaldinho1

In that role, he's very solid. Maybe this is a long con by United, Fiorentina desperate to sell and we end up getting him for £5m

Bobski

Impossible not to like the guy, he tries so hard.

Also does a lot of good stuff, closes guys down, gets tackles, always shows for the ball. Makes a lot of basic errors as well, but the midfield has worked better these last 2 games than most of the season.

Ceteris

If he cost £10million, don't mind him as a squad player.

Especially with the massive spending required this summer

Sgreddevil

Did well for most parts today. Finally we have a player that can win loose ball and second balls. However he still has the tendency to commit avoidable errors in dangerous situation. With that, it is difficult to rely on him as a key player but he will be a very good squad player if he is ok with the role.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His best performance of the season, probably. It was a 7 against a depleted Newcastle. He’s usually somewhere between a 3 and a 6.

Matt851

If ten hag had compromised his mad tactics earlier he would ba e played more and we would probably have more points