Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s more of a midfielder and does more midfielder-y things than the ones we have but, unfortunately, he’s just not very good. He’s an accident waiting to happen against teams that press.

He never really got the chance to build to full match fitness all season. He’s a bit slow, but like a Jorginho I think he could be useful. Klopp wanted him before Endo.

I’d keep him for €20m.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was a bit shit when he first played in midfield for us to be fair

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Felt like a better performance from him because of some blocks and slide tackles he got in, and because we are crying out for quality in that position. But in reality he would have cost us the win if VAR had looked at the Gordon incident properly, and his general play is so labored and error-prone.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The block he mad on the Isak shot when Newcastle broke 3 vs 1 against him (also, how the FECK does that happen?!?) was a sensational piece of defending. 93% pass completion is exactly the sort of ball retention we need in that position but don't get often enough from Casemiro. It's definitely a bit weird he hasn't had more chances in a season where Casemiro has been so consistently terrible.

Mainoonited

A part of me thinks our standards have slipped so low that someone having 1 decent game all season suddenly is redeemed of a rubbish season.

TempusFugit

We looked better with him in midfield in front of the back four.
I'm surprised people saying he's slow, he got back a few times with pace.
His acceleration is just not that good and he's not very agile as well so he can't turn his body to recover quickly. He's quite fast when he gets to his top speed, i thought we were done after AWB lost that ball yesterday but he covered the space in behind quite quickly. In a straight sprint over a long distance he's quicker than most people think.

Bertie Wooster

He's a limited player, especially for PL standards, but we could definitely have got a lot more out of him in different circumstances.

Like our season in general, it just never really got going for him. He arrived with an injury and I don't think had much of a pre-season - always difficult for a player having to play catch up when they return, especially in a new and faster paced league.

Then he had to fill in at left back for 2 or 3 games and struggled, which wouldn't have helped his confidence. Probably the worst possible way to be introduced to the PL, compared to having a pre-season and then being played in his natural position and quickly settling in, etc. Add to that the constant defensive issues behind the CM's, and it's been a real all round shit show.

He was never going to be a real difference maker or anything, but could have been a useful enough loan addition had he arrived fit and firing and had we been the kind of team that knows how to get the best out of players.

Last edited:

Zoo

It’s interesting/frustrating that he feels that he has a higher level than he sowed last night.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Should have given away a penalty, can't control bouncing balls in midfield, doesn't communicate/demand the ball but he is our only option who looks "competent" in that position.

Did well to get back for that Newcastle breakaway to be fair.

The positive I take is that we aren't as far away as we think we are, just get some quality next to Mainoo and that will elevate the team a few levels.

Sylar

He is basically fred-like. He has a few bad moments (yesterday he had two, the bad touch on their equaliser, and the one in the first half where he should have given a penalty away). But then hes been Mainoos best partner so far. We defo should have seen him more as we look better balanced with him there (but still at the same time, leaking too many chances)
He shows for the ball and has good strength, and can get up and down (whilst at times looks like hes running in quick sand).
And some very weird passing at times. So very fred-like. But again, hes been good last few games.

He certainly should have played more in the middle when available.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
I'm surprised people saying he's slow, he got back a few times with pace.
If he can’t run the 100m in sub 7 seconds the armchair whippets on here will claim he’s a snail!

On a serious note, he’s played like I expected him to when we loaned him last two games. Shows for the ball and composed, helping us to keep it and move around. Also not afraid to put himself about a bit.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why he’s not been able to do that all season, guess is a physical issue but obviously that’s not backed by any science!

RedRocket9908

He played really well yesterday and made a great challange when he got back quickly to stop a Newcastle player being one on one with the keeper.

At only 17m he is worth signing permanently as a midfield backup option.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Lets be honest, he's not good enough. A few good cameo's is not enough to persuade me unfortunately. He gives the ball away in dangerous areas far too often.

GiveItToGi...nowait

He played really well yesterday and made a great challange when he got back quickly to stop a Newcastle player being one on one with the keeper.

Really? At fault for a goal and should have given away a penalty. Not to mention everytime the ball is bouncing in midfield he visibly panics.

Yes we were better, yes he did well getting back for the one on one but no way we should be looking to sign him when we already have limited funds.

Its his second 90 minutes because when he has played previously he has done feck all.

Red Star One

He was decent yesterday but we need better - I know our midfield is dire and it will be hard to bring 2-3 new players, but there’s no way we should permanently sign Amrabat

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Really? At fault for a goal and should have given away a penalty. Not to mention everytime the ball is bouncing in midfield he visibly panics.

Yes we were better, yes he did well getting back for the one on one but no way we should be looking to sign him when we already have limited funds.

Its his second 90 minutes because when he has played previously he has done feck all.
I don't want to sign him permanently but he was good last night. Broke up play numerous times.

We need to be aiming far higher going forward.

GiveItToGi...nowait

I don't want to sign him permanently but he was good last night. Broke up play numerous times.

We need to be aiming far higher going forward.
I disagree but can see that having a more defensively minded player, who is not called Casemiro, in midfield definitely improved us. Amrabat's performance is more like a very average, almost bad, performance which looks good in the context of this whole season. Replace last season's Casemiro with last night's Amrabat and we have a much worse season.

Maybe I'm too harsh, but you look at Kobbie and the way he controls the ball vs Amrabat scrambling with a bouncing ball towards his own goal...

Crimson King

If he had a bit more pace I might agree, but I just think we need a bigger and quicker player in there, probably 2 if Casemiro also leaves. £17m is more than you think if money really is as tight as we're being told.

He's a decent player, but I just think the EPL is too quick for him.

Smores

I just don't think he's good enough for a midfield two. If we played a proper 3 man midfield with a DM he'd be judged very differently.

Given we've already paid a good bit of his fee I'd sign him as a cheap option to fill out the squad.

Devil81

FA Cup wildcard for me. He gives us a little bit more legs in midfield.

ZupZup

What watching Amrabat shows me is just how much better we would look if we had a more disciplined number 6 like him who gets on the ball… but one with better physical attributes.

He’s not the answer but he does show us the sort of player we desperately need to improve this team.

Rojofiam

He should've replaced Casemiro at DM months ago like me and others have suggested

Not saying he's good enough to be a starting level DM for us, but he's miles better than Casemiro

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think he's a better player than we have seen - arriving injured, then thrown in at left back, injured again meant he never got the time to adjust properly to the pace of the PL

And he probably never will as I doubt we keep him

Oranges038

I think he's a better player than we have seen - arriving injured, then thrown in at left back, injured again meant he never got the time to adjust properly to the pace of the PL

He'll probably end up playing for a team in the CL final next season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

He's not. He has obvious limits to his game and isn't a long term signing, so it would be pointless to spend the money on him.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I don’t think he was that good with what he did with the ball, should’ve done better in their first goal and made a tackle that should’ve resulted in a penalty for Newcastle.

That being said, it’s not a coincidence that we’ve been much less open and more compact in the last two games.

Maybe it’s just that the other options are even worse.

Is that considered a good performance now? Nearly made a mistake for a penalty and did make a mistake for their first goal. It's always an improvement having an actual competent midfielder in midfield but he plays too slowly for this league.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

I honestly think Casemiro would still look fine playing in a system where the team is compact either playing a high or low block, which is how any sensible manager would set his team up. The bizarre tactical plan or lack of it this season has done no favors to anyone in that midfield or defense.

singhters

Exactly I don't understand why they raving about him on youtube channels, he's too slow and gives the ball away, do that against city and you get punished or any of the top teams.

Red_toad

Way too many errors in his game tonight.

He plays a part in their equaliser and should have given a penalty away. Two very sloppy moments.

He only won 2 out of 10 duels.

He's decent at keeping possession. That's about it.
If you're happier to see Casemiro in there, good for you. I disagree, I'd rather someone with energy and Casemiro is probably more like to get booked and has shown the last month or so his ability to gift goals to the opposition. One of them will be holding the midfield v City. I know who I want.

Fallon d'Floor

If you're happier to see Casemiro in there, good for you. I disagree, I'd rather someone with energy and Casemiro is probably more like to get booked and has shown the last month or so his ability to gift goals to the opposition. One of them will be holding the midfield v City. I know who I want.
Where did I say that I wanted Casemiro to start? I commented on Amrabat's performance last night. That's all.

I wouldn't start either. Mainoo and McTominay.

Kirk lazarus

I prefer to look at it from a glass half full
perspective .

The hole in the middle has only reduced since amrabat was chosen before Casemiro or Eriksen.

The potential for him and us to get better with a consistent back four in place and more playing time to build the relationships with them that currently aren't there , is not being considered by many .

Fallon d'Floor

Good for you, I'd say a lot would disagree with your selection.
I'm not here to appease sheep. The **** of manager has now become the **** of of team selection. :lol:

I pointed out that Amrabat didn't have a very good game and you're now talking about the team selection for The FA Cup final. I don't really care about that.