Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedirt87

I’m not disagreeing with you in the slightest as the midfield performance against Wolves was abysmal, I hate the look of Mount alongside in a 3 with Casemiro and Fernandes as Mount doesn’t seem to have the tactical discipline or awareness to know the space the opposition has when he goes running around aimlessly.

That said though I believe ETH will persist with that trio as his first choice midfield choice as he seems to believe Fernandes and Mount can play as two 8’s ahead of Casemiro as the defensive midfielder which may have worked 4-5 years ago when Casemiro was more mobile but as seen by the Wolves game won’t work now unless the opposition parks the bus.

This is why I think we should have been in for Caicedo or Rice or someone like that as they have the tactical discipline, awareness, positional sense and stamina to be legs in the midfield so we’re not overrun. Casemiro showed last season he can be a force further forward so could have alternated with a Rice/Caicedo in sitting and going forward as well as high pressing without worry of us being wide open.

I’d feel far happier with Casemiro and Amrabat with Fernandes the furthest one forward, Amrabat is a De Jong type player who has more steel but is a tier below De Jong as a player although that said is far more suited to playing alongside Casemiro than Mount. Casemiro is great positionally which often makes up for his lack of legs but that isn’t something we can always bank on so yes for me Amrabat alongside Casemiro BUT I don’t think ETH will do it unless Mount continuously underperforms.
Even a peak Kante on PEDs couldn't handle the space in midfield over the course of a season if we continue to play like that.

Castia

I’ve been pretty vocal on not wanting Amrabat but at this stage with the news of McTominay and Maguire staying I’d take him. I fear we’re going to end up with nobody and in 2023 Scott McTominay is still a United regular which is a complete disgrace

Infra-red

I’ve been pretty vocal on not wanting Amrabat but at this stage with the news of McTominay and Maguire staying I’d take him. I fear we’re going to end up with nobody and in 2023 Scott McTominay is still a United regular which is a complete disgrace
Looking that way, yes:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sofyan Amrabat is just that…. Sofyan Amrabat. I suspect people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think he will be the answer to any serious questions here.

KD6-3.7

Yeah this deal isn't happening and if we don't bring in another midfielder we are in huge trouble unless Ten Hag drastically changes his game plan.

redshaw

With the best of a bad lot in Fred gone we really need Amrabat or someone of his type. It's not like he's amazing, but I feel he's a more a good all round midfielder that can play deep, cover across the midfield and not hide

We seem to be gambling on McTom being our deepest midfielder and transforming into Matic if Case gets suspended/injured.

Devil You Know

Bailly and VdB not leaving has screwed us. We could have got Pavard and Amrabat, but those two staying could ruin our window. We should punish them by putting them in the reserves.

OrcaFat

Onana's physical qualities are incredible but I could see him being a McTominay who never puts it together despite being that.

We should probably sign more guys on their way up but I guess that's the price of Ten Hag not trusting anyone. Not sure why he didn't bring in someone to run transfers and we didn't sign a couple of guys from smaller teams. Hojlund counts, and I'm glad we've signed Andre Onana because I do think we need a keeper who can pass, but there's no way 55M for Mount was good spending. Any time I've watched England for the last few years it's clearly been Bellingham and Rice and then a big question mark for the 3rd mid. Those guys cost a ton, but there have to be non English midfielders who would have sown up that spot that we could have signed.

Eriksen was a great bridge signing and without him we don't get the CL and I think he can be a useful sub and backup to Bruno, but I don't think we've made as good a signing this summer in Mount. Useful player for us, particularly when Eriksen is gone in 2 years, but the big money this summer should have been spent on a purer #8 type, not a #10 like Mount. Dahoud or Kamada on a free and the 80M we're spending on Mount and Amrabat going towards Caicedo or buying Zubimendi or something seems like it would have made more sense.
Understood. But I think you have to give Mount a dozen games in our system before writing him off. Plus I think he relies on being properly match fit (which none of our players are just now).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Bailly and VdB not leaving has screwed us. We could have got Pavard and Amrabat, but those two staying could ruin our window. We should punish them by putting them in the reserves.
Punish them for what ? For sticking to a legally bind contract? Or for not finding a suitable employer to continue their career? Or not finding a suitable place where he could move with his family ?

Grow up !

Devil You Know

Punish them for what ? For sticking to a legally bind contract? Or for not finding a suitable employer to continue their career? Or not finding a suitable place where he could move with his family ?

Grow up !
For not letting us live out our Football Manager fantasies in real life.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Well feck. We’ve gone from about 50m in the back pocket and riding of two stiffs, to two stiffs remaining and no Amrabat and Pavard. Lovely turn of events.
Won’t pay up for better quality players, can’t shift deadwood players, panic buy lower quality players and watch the cycle continue. How to run the best club in the country into mediocrity over a 10 year period.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sofyan Amrabat is just that…. Sofyan Amrabat. I suspect people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think he will be the answer to any serious questions here.
Have you seen the state of United's midfield. Even Amrabat would be a blessing. He might not be the most exciting player but I believe he would make an impact.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have you seen the state of United's midfield. Even Amrabat would be a blessing. He might not be the most exciting player but I believe he would make an impact.
And of all the players who will make an impact in our midfield, why is everyone so desperate for Sofyan Amrabat?

peridigm

Some of these posts are mental. There is a reason contracts exist. It's so greedy corporate assholes can't take advantage of anyone, anytime something does not work out in their favor.
They have every right to hold the club accountable for their end of the contract until they get something else lined up. Bailly could have left years ago but the club offered him a new deal.
Same goes with Maguire, VdB, or any other player not in ETH's plans. If they want to play, they will look for a move. If they're happy sitting on the bench collecting millions, they're under contract to do so.
Bottom line, this club is run by a bag of dicks. Blame the owners, blame the CEO, blame the managers, don't blame the player. Especially if they're injured on the job and unable to play.
If the club want easy and easy out in this situation, maybe they should employee better negotiators and lawyers.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And of all the players who will make an impact in our midfield, why is everyone so desperate for Sofyan Amrabat?
I guess that's the best United can do with such low transfer budget available. I believe he's valued at 30m, no way you can buy any of the most rated midfielders in the world with that money.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its not that we're desperate for him alone, its because he's the only one we've been linked with for god knows how long now.

Giggsy13

So everyone’s solution is to sell one average midfielder just to bring in another average midfielder. Makes complete sense.

evil_geko

Because he would be great value for price being quoted considering todays market.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I guess that's the best United can do with such low transfer budget available. I believe he's valued at 30m, no way you can buy any of the most rated midfielders in the world with that money.
Which is fair, but I’m just trying to temper expectations. You invariably get what you pay for and we have/had a couple of 30m rated midfielders already who were never going to take us forward.

Infra-red

Maguire is shagging us here. We should’ve just paid him off.
Our inability to shift unwanted players is staggering. Even with Saudi Arabia throwing money around this summer and buying up every bit of dead wood in sight, we still can't shift these players.

We'll probably never find out if this long standing problem is a result of incompetency among those in charge or penny pinching by the Glazers (most likely, a bit of both). Either way, the end result is the same - a squad that is not fit for purpose. The problem is particularly acute this summer because, thanks to United's poor financial position, the sales of Maguire, Henderson and McTominay were essential steps in enabling in us to address other weaknesses in the squad. Frustrating to be left saddled with these players.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Which is fair, but I’m just trying to temper expectations. You invariably get what you pay for and we have/had a couple of 30m rated midfielders already who were never going to take us forward.
And you are right but I think Amrabat will be an useful player for United.

Bondi77

Why is it so damn hard to write a name properly? So many here seem unable to do so.

Not even asking for pronunciation since there I don't think I've listened more than two anglophonic persons speaking a latin language correctly.
Jesus Wept!!

RedDevilQuebecois

With the best of a bad lot in Fred gone we really need Amrabat or someone of his type. It's not like he's amazing, but I feel he's a more a good all round midfielder that can play deep, cover across the midfield and not hide

We seem to be gambling on McTom being our deepest midfielder and transforming into Matic if Case gets suspended/injured.
That's beyond braindead if we do that now, especially everything we have known for years now.

We should have taken West Ham's bid, sold McTominay and then feck off with the money to sign Amrabat.

So everyone’s solution is to sell one average midfielder just to bring in another average midfielder. Makes complete sense.
We need a CDM, but we can't do that if we keep a surplus of midfielders who are unfit to play as CDM.

hobbers

Let me put it this way, you want someone who is less shit than both VDB and McT...not exactly a great solution.
Nah good point let's go into the season with just one holding midfielder who's a bit old and has questionable fitness, and if he gets injured or worn out we'll just play McTominay behind Mount and Bruno and concede 15 goals a game.

Bondi77

Our inability to shift unwanted players is staggering. Even with Saudi Arabia throwing money around this summer and buying up every bit of dead wood in sight, we still can't shift these players.

We'll probably never find out if this long standing problem is a result of incompetency among those in charge or penny pinching by the Glazers (most likely, a bit of both). Either way, the end result is the same - a squad that is not fit for purpose. The problem is particularly acute this summer because, thanks to United's poor financial position, the sales of Maguire, Henderson and McTominay were essential steps in enabling in us to address other weaknesses in the squad. Frustrating to be left saddled with these players.
Add Antony and Sancho to that list if you are being serious about strengthening the starting eleven.

Irrational.

I have a feeling Amrabat will be the next Nico Gaitan. At the end of the transfer window it will transpire we were never in for him; before we’re linked again with him in January and next summer.

Giggsy13

Nah good point let's go into the season with just one holding midfielder who's a bit old and has questionable fitness, and if he gets injured or worn out we'll just play McTominay behind Mount and Bruno and concede 15 goals a game.
Let’s go even further, shut down the fecking season and call it a day since the likes of you and others have collectively shat themselves over one game.

Superunknown

Why am I thinking that the only reason we're linked with this guy is because he's born in the Netherlands? :lol:

OrcaFat

Let’s go even further, shut down the fecking season and call it a day since the likes of you and others have collectively shat themselves over one game.
Is that the only two choices? Be happy with McT or shut the season down?

Some of us, even the optimists, have been looking with concern at the quality and depth of our midfield options for a long time.

I suppose quite a few have joined us in these tepid waters after one somewhat unconvincing performance but it doesn’t make them wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.