Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

You're missing the point. I want us to sign Amrabat, he'll be crucial member of the squad. However, Mctominay played in place of Casemiro and was inadequate in a lot ways apart from aerially. If you do a straight swap of Casemiro for Amrabat in our starting eleven, we'll be down to just Varane who's good in the air. If you don't believe it, check the fbref reports.
No I get it I just think it's a really obscure part of the game to be concerned about. I think in midfield the ability to read the game and win second balls is drastically more important than winning headers.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I've taken time to watch a lot of all action videos of him. He's the guy that sit at the base of midfield and switch the ball from flank to flank, pass it into the feet of the center forward, pass it back to the defenders. Just general constantly get on the ball a lot and distribute. Out of possession he's a very capable ball winner, he's quite strong and uses his body very well to out muscle opponent. He plays in the same position as Casemiro but he's a better passer, probably not as good overall defensively but he has the same level physically.
If he comes here he'll be in direct competition with Casemiro mostly. They could play together but its something ETH would only do to see out games or vs the big boys. He looks good enough to really keep Casemiro on his toes, our options in midfield would be up there with the best in the league if he arrives.
This! My only issue with him is for a DM, he doesn't fair well aerially.

padzilla

Hipster
Mount and Amrabat are both upgrades on McTominay, VDB and Fred. We need to be improving the strength in depth of the squad and that seems to be the case.

Trex

This! My only issue with him is for a DM, he doesn't fair well aerially.
Yeah but you can't have it all. Let's look at the many positives. I think if he didn't have just a year on his deal he would cost a lot more than is being quoted.

NLunited

The more we are linked with Amrabat, the less sense the Mount signing makes (to me). Amrabat isn't really a Casemiro replacement: he'd complement Cas perfectly (better than Mount would). And Bruno is a guaranteed starter. So Mount, our no. 7, is...an expensive rotation option? And we're still lacking a guy who can adequately fill in for Cas when he's AWOL?

In EtH we trust and all that, but I'm just a bit perplexed by this.
Amrabat is a dm, who can replace Casemiro or can play next to him. We need six first team quality midfielders to have enough cover for the amount of games we will likely play.

He doesn’t have the offensive contributions Mount has.

With Cas, Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount, Eriksen and Bruno we would have excellent squad depth.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I really hope we sign him or someone else who similarly occupies a deeper lying midfield position in build up. From what I've seen of Amrabat at Fiorentina, he'd be our best player in possession from a deeper role because he can actually play as the first receiver from midfield on the half turn.

Trex

Amrabat is a dm, who can replace Casemiro or can play next to him. We need six first team quality midfielders to have enough cover for the amount of games we will likely play.

With Cas, Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount, Eriksen and Bruno we would have excellent squad depth.
Yeah we're in the UCL this year, we'll need to rotate without the level dropping much if we want to give it a go in both that EPL and UCL. People say Bruno and Casemiro would always start but forget the reason its so is because ETH doesn't trust the likes of McFred and Donny.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Yeah but you can't have it all. Let's look at the many positives. I think if he didn't have just a year on his deal he would cost a lot more than is being quoted.
I agree. We just have to be creative in games where we really need the areial support and Casemiro is missing.

davbon

I am a bit perplexed of how many people on here are talking about starting lineups and back-up options as if they are constant. Football is a squad game and it is of course important to have back ups, but back ups can also be different tactical options for different games or different parts of the game.

Amrabat has a skillset none of our other players have. A deeplying progressive playmaker who is also really good defensively. Some games he will come on to hold a 2-0 lead, others he will play alongside Casemiro to have a better defensive structure, others he will start instead of Casemiro because he is better and more creative on the ball.

Football is a squad game and it is essential to have complementary players for each game and opponent.

hobbers

Could easily see at places like Etihad or Anfield playing something like

Casemiro Amrabat
Antony Bruno Mount
Rashford

Which you would hope would work a lot better than watching Eriksen getting annihilated and Bruno giving away possession 50 times in his own half.

acolyte

No I get it I just think it's a really obscure part of the game to be concerned about. I think in midfield the ability to read the game and win second balls is drastically more important than winning headers.
If you're perpetually stuck in the mindset that it's 1989 and that Wimbledon or Stoke City might turn up and you might have to start playing head tennis or launching hopeful balls into the box, you can see how a limited but strapping young lad might be useful.

mav_9me

At this point we really shouldn’t go for players that don’t improve us and are barely an upgrade on McTominay or Fred.

They should be ready to contribute and have the attributes for Ten Hag’s tactics.

I can’t think of a better player to add in the base of our midfield that is attainable, than Amrabat.
Lavia would be the main one, but probably not attainable from our budget point of view but attainable in the sense he is not too expensive.

BerryBerryShrew

He also doesn't have the defensive contributions Cas has. From what I've seen of Amrabat, he is similar in profile to Veratti in the sense that he is primarily a DLP but he can put himself about a bit as well. However, McTom can "put himself about" better than anyone; it doesn't stop us from being shite when he has to replace Cas.

Basically, I'm still concerned about this midfield when Cas is unavailable. Maybe the sheer work rate of a Mount-Amrabat-Bruno trio may suffice when this happens, maybe Mainoo proves to be an adept understudy, who knows.

And for all the talk of "depth" and "rotation", Bruno is an absolute physical freak specimen who could easily play 4 matches a week at full intensity if he had to and never gets injured. If Mount was brought in primarily to deputise for him, then it was a waste of resources. If he was brought in to provide something as a 6/8, then I don't see why we didn't just sign someone who has proven adept in those areas previously.

Highlyevolved

I don’t think I missed your point but looks like I didn’t make my point very clearly. He’s not very good. If you can replace a guy like him with someone better, you do it, if you want to win. He’s not good enough to compete for a place in the team so doesn’t belong at a top club. That’s my point. Hopefully that’s clear now.

He’s played well a few times and I can understand your point of view, I just disagree with it.
Easy to say you’d just “replace a guy like him with someone better” who are these better players who will be happy to sit on the bench and wait behind Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen, potentially Amrabat, and only get game time in cup games until later on in the season when injuries/suspensions start taking effect?

I’m being realistic over here, every great team has its unsung hero’s in the squad. We’ve had the Phil Neville’s, John O’Sheas, Fletchers. Unless you’re Man City or PSG you can’t just pretend you’re playing Fifa on cheat mode and just sign a squad full of world class players .

In that case, how do you keep them all happy? Without just throwing silly money at them, which would contravene FFP which we know City and PSG have done. How do you stop rifts and disgruntled players who are good enough to start in every other team in the league but for your club they warm the bench every match.

What you’re saying is the easiest thing to say, it’s lazy in fact. “Replace him with someone better”. Back it up. Who with, who exactly is this better player who will be happy to get 5-10 mins every couple of weeks? What do they offer in terms of changing the strategy in a game later on? Any physical presence? Character, commitment to follow instructions for the team rather than attempt to make a name for themselves in the few minutes they have? All I’m hearing in response to a sensible opinion on what McT already offers as a squad player in several positions, is that you want “someone better” you took the time and felt the need to respond with that, again that’s just easy… so who is it, and what do they offer?

Last edited:

dinostar77

I am a bit perplexed of how many people on here are talking about starting lineups and back-up options as if they are constant. Football is a squad game and it is of course important to have back ups, but back ups can also be different tactical options for different games or different parts of the game.

Amrabat has a skillset none of our other players have. A deeplying progressive playmaker who is also really good defensively. Some games he will come on to hold a 2-0 lead, others he will play alongside Casemiro to have a better defensive structure, others he will start instead of Casemiro because he is better and more creative on the ball.

Football is a squad game and it is essential to have complementary players for each game and opponent.
Too many play football manager and fifa.

Sensible post btw.

Cantonagotmehere

I'm excited for any middie improvement. I admit I do not know much about him. Is he technically very good? I feel that is what we need more than anything. Thanks for any info.

OverratedOpinion

I'm excited for any middie improvement. I admit I do not know much about him. Is he technically very good? I feel that is what we need more than anything. Thanks for any info.
From what I have seen he is extremely slick in possession and a lovely passer of the ball, especially with neat short passes forwards.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If the Amrabat we saw at the world cup is his true level, then this would be a strong signing for us

croadyman

From what I have seen he is extremely slick in possession and a lovely passer of the ball.
Yeah he's not De Jong but then let's face it not many are in that position,plus he actually wants to come here which is very evident in our signings this summer.

MUFC OK

Liverpool are very good on the counter. They don't play counter attacking football, it's very rudimentary to look at football as two teams with two set styles of play and no nuance. Within a game we go on the attack and Liverpool have to defend, as does any team. What I'm saying though is Liverpool will look to hit us quickly on the break because it's a clear weakness for us that won't be sorted by the looks of things. They'revery good at transitioning quickly from back to front. In fact, it's been as evident an issue for us as ever in pre season. We've just got away with a lot due to quality of opposition.
They are susceptible to the counter though with this 3-5-2 formation. Teams in preseason have been tearing them apart down the flanks as the CBs they have arent quick enough to play a high line 3 ATB. Surely the tactic would be to soak up pressure and hit them in the channels.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah he's not De Jong but then let's face it not many are in that position,plus he actually wants to come here which is very evident in our signings this summer.
Funnily I'd argue that I reckon we get a lot of what Ten Hag always wanted from De Jong if Amrabat settles well in England.

I'm no expert on him but he just seems to have that silkiness and assuredness in possession which I feel like was one of the key things we wanted from FDJ.

Frenkie is obviously capable of a lot more but I think some of his talents (dribbling from midfield for instance) may have been discouraged in the Prem and more focus put on the things that we can also get from Amrabat.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They are susceptible to the counter though with this 3-5-2 formation. Teams in preseason have been tearing them apart down the flanks as the CBs they have arent quick enough to play a high line 3 ATB. Surely the tactic would be to soak up pressure and hit them in the channels.
Yeah but I responded to your post about how Amarabat was perfect for his defensive attributes vs Liverpool, not how they are susceptible on the counter. I've not seen much of them this pre season but hopefully that is still the case when the season starts. If Liverpool are anything like they were at their best in previous seasons, including when they hammered us last season, then ideally we could have done with more defensive nous in midfield, in my opinion.

MUFC OK

Yeah but I responded to your post about how Amarabat was perfect for his defensive attributes vs Liverpool, not how they are susceptible on the counter. I've not seen much of them this pre season but hopefully that is still the case when the season starts. If Liverpool are anything like they were at their best in previous seasons, including when they hammered us last season, then ideally we could have done with more defensive nous in midfield, in my opinion.
The two points are linked, they are susceptible to the counter, but would go for the kill against us. Therefore my original point was that Amrabat is ideal for that fixture as we can play a double pivot with him and Casemiro - which you disagreed with.

He has plenty of defensive nous in midfield, it's pretty much his strongest attribute along with his long, direct passing (also good for counter attacks). Compare that to going to say Anfield with one of Mount, Eriksen in MF and I know which I'd choose.

Could easily see at places like Etihad or Anfield playing something like

Casemiro Amrabat
Antony Bruno Mount
Rashford

Which you would hope would work a lot better than watching Eriksen getting annihilated and Bruno giving away possession 50 times in his own half.
This is essentially the point I'm trying to, and apparently failing to make.

OrcaFat

Easy to say you’d just “replace a guy like him with someone better” who are these better players who will be happy to sit on the bench and wait behind Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen, potentially Amrabat, and only get game time in cup games until later on in the season when injuries/suspensions start taking effect?

I’m being realistic over here, every great team has its unsung hero’s in the squad. We’ve had the Phil Neville’s, John O’Sheas, Fletchers. Unless you’re Man City or PSG you can’t just pretend you’re playing Fifa on cheat mode and just sign a squad full of world class players .

In that case, how do you keep them all happy? Without just throwing silly money at them, which would contravene FFP which we know City and PSG have done. How do you stop rifts and disgruntled players who are good enough to start in every other team in the league but for your club they warm the bench every match.

What you’re saying is the easiest thing to say, it’s lazy in fact. “Replace him with someone better”. Back it up. Who with, who exactly is this better player who will be happy to get 5-10 mins every couple of weeks? What do they offer in terms of changing the strategy in a game later on? Any physical presence? Character, commitment to follow instructions for the team rather than attempt to make a name for themselves in the few minutes they have? All I’m hearing in response to a sensible opinion on what McT already offers as a squad player in several positions, is that you want “someone better” you took the time and felt the need to respond with that, again that’s just easy… so who is it, and what do they offer?
Simple, bring Amrabat in and let McT go. Get a few quid for him. That’s all.

georgipep

I really hope we sign him or someone else who similarly occupies a deeper lying midfield position in build up. From what I've seen of Amrabat at Fiorentina, he'd be our best player in possession from a deeper role because he can actually play as the first receiver from midfield on the half turn.
I must admit I've seen very little of him and what I'm about to write is based on a recent friendly game versus a low level Italian club.

He takes a lot of time to perform the decisive action and looks very calm on the ball. To the extent that it will be brutally punished in the PL. Hope this was just rustiness and lack of respect for the opponent.

OrcaFat

This is a major bugbear of mine. I simply don’t believe in “backup” players in the modern game. Every squad player should be providing genuine competition and / or tactical options.

The reality is that, even in a strong squad, there are usually a few players who nail down their place and out-perform their competition, most of the time. That’s okay. If they keep their level high they may deserve it. It doesn’t change the fact that you want quality players in the squad pushing the guys ahead of them and believing they can get into the team.

When we play so many games against such different opponents, variety and depth is important.

poleglass red

People are giving their opinion on a player they don't watch week in week out. Casemiro, who everyone knew and had seen at some point play, surprised a lot of people, we thought we were getting a master DM, we did, but his exploits in the other half was a welcome surprise. Scoring goals, setting up goals with no look passes. If someone of Casemiro's stock can surprise then, this chap can as well. If we sign him, let's see how ETH plays him and then we can properly judge.

NLunited

He also doesn't have the defensive contributions Cas has. From what I've seen of Amrabat, he is similar in profile to Veratti in the sense that he is primarily a DLP but he can put himself about a bit as well. However, McTom can "put himself about" better than anyone; it doesn't stop us from being shite when he has to replace Cas.

Basically, I'm still concerned about this midfield when Cas is unavailable. Maybe the sheer work rate of a Mount-Amrabat-Bruno trio may suffice when this happens, maybe Mainoo proves to be an adept understudy, who knows.

And for all the talk of "depth" and "rotation", Bruno is an absolute physical freak specimen who could easily play 4 matches a week at full intensity if he had to and never gets injured. If Mount was brought in primarily to deputise for him, then it was a waste of resources. If he was brought in to provide something as a 6/8, then I don't see why we didn't just sign someone who has proven adept in those areas previously.
On Mount: he was brought in as an upgrade for Eriksen, with more legs and more ability to combine with other players. Technically, he will be one of our best players. He can also replace Bruno if he‘s injured or needs rest.

Chief123

We’re going to need a fire extinguisher soon. Finally our leaking roof will be useful.

OrcaFat

People are giving their opinion on a player they don't watch week in week out. Casemiro, who everyone knew and had seen at some point play, surprised a lot of people, we thought we were getting a master DM, we did, but his exploits in the other half was a welcome surprise. Scoring goals, setting up goals with no look passes. If someone of Casemiro's stock can surprise then, this chap can as well. If we sign him, let's see how ETH plays him and then we can properly judge.
Yeah. I like the look of him. He may surprise me in a disappointing way but I’m seeing this as a positive insofar as EtH identifying a player who improves us in an area where we don’t have good options.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Yeah. I like the look of him. He may surprise me in a disappointing way but I’m seeing this as a positive insofar as EtH identifying a player who improves us in an area where we don’t have good options.
He is eerily similar to De Jong in how he passes and carries the ball, though not as good at dribbling past players. You can see this both from the eye test and the fbref stats. For the price, feels like an absolute no brainer.
Kobbie may eventually become That guy but until then, Amrabat will be it. Can't wait to get him in and watch him play.

OrcaFat

He is eerily similar to De Jong in how he passes and carries the ball, though not as good at dribbling past players. You can see this both from the eye test and the fbref stats. For the price, feels like an absolute no brainer.
Kobbie may eventually become That guy but until then, Amrabat will be it. Can't wait to get him in and watch him play.
Totally agree. I like this signing.

FDJ is a rare beast. When he puts the burners on he can carry it 50 yards through the middle of the pitch. Doesn’t do it often but when he does, holy shit.

theklr

I think we all know this'll happen once we manage to shift some of our midfielders, it's funny seeing the constant non-update updates.
Its just so unusual that everything goes so smooth and we actually get our targets without much fuzz this year. Still scarred by the Sancho and FDJ sagas

Bertie Wooster

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.