Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

This guy is really press resistant and defensively sound. Cheap too.
Yeah would be shrewd signing I am confident we will make once Donny/Fred agree deal with another club. Annoyingly that is taking more time then I would hope.

worldinmotion66

Solid player, cheap, won’t demand high wages, reportedly really wants to join us, has a skill set and profile that we don’t currently have, and have clearly been looking for since ten hag arrived.

No brainier really. Hope we get it over the line.

Seems like this window (and the last two) we’ve managed to reduce the wage bill (considerably so if we can offload Maguire), fill the priority positions, improve our squad depth and upgrade our strongest 11. The club have done a very good job in backing ten hag and he’s been brilliant in developing a culture and style of footballing identity. Finally feels like an elite club under elite guidance again.

worldinmotion66

I am a bit perplexed of how many people on here are talking about starting lineups and back-up options as if they are constant. Football is a squad game and it is of course important to have back ups, but back ups can also be different tactical options for different games or different parts of the game.

Amrabat has a skillset none of our other players have. A deeplying progressive playmaker who is also really good defensively. Some games he will come on to hold a 2-0 lead, others he will play alongside Casemiro to have a better defensive structure, others he will start instead of Casemiro because he is better and more creative on the ball.

Football is a squad game and it is essential to have complementary players for each game and opponent.
Totally agree with this. Football has evolved, we’re not in the 90’s anymore.

croadyman

Solid player, cheap, won’t demand high wages, reportedly really wants to join us, has a skill set and profile that we don’t currently have, and have clearly been looking for since ten hag arrived.

No brainier really. Hope we get it over the line.

Seems like this window (and the last two) we’ve managed to reduce the wage bill (considerably so if we can offload Maguire), fill the priority positions, improve our squad depth and upgrade our strongest 11. The club have done a very good job in backing ten hag and he’s been brilliant in developing a culture and style of footballing identity. Finally feels like an elite club under elite guidance again.
Would say the right side of the team is the next area we need to improve after this window. I can't put my finger on who we should sign at RB so any ideas welcome. I also feel that upgrading Rapha has to be a priority as well whether that’s January or next summer.

Getting it back on topic we definitely lack someone of Amrabat's profile in the midfield so hope we get this over line before Sept 1

worldinmotion66

Would say the right side of the team is the next area we need to improve after this window. I can't put my finger on who we should sign at RB so any ideas welcome. I also feel that upgrading Rapha has to be a priority as well whether that’s January or next summer.

Getting it back on topic we definitely lack someone of Amrabat's profile in the midfield so hope we get this over line before Sept 1
Dalot was pretty good before his injury last season and wan bissaka offers a unique skill set. Without a real standout player available I wouldn’t be too quick to change it yet. Hakimi was the one we should’ve signed years ago but we weren’t in the position to and had too many other glaring holes to fill. The squad mismanagement has been atrocious. Next season he’ll have two years left so may be worth looking into, but it really depends on how we do this season and how individuals perform in other positions.

Zumbi

I am a bit perplexed of how many people on here are talking about starting lineups and back-up options as if they are constant. Football is a squad game and it is of course important to have back ups, but back ups can also be different tactical options for different games or different parts of the game.

Amrabat has a skillset none of our other players have. A deeplying progressive playmaker who is also really good defensively. Some games he will come on to hold a 2-0 lead, others he will play alongside Casemiro to have a better defensive structure, others he will start instead of Casemiro because he is better and more creative on the ball.

Football is a squad game and it is essential to have complementary players for each game and opponent.
Nailed it.

MinGin

Don't rely on those all action videos. If you're drawing from it that he's maybe as good as Casemiro then that says it all. Makes you wonder why he's only ever played for C level teams at best. He's not some hidden gem that has slipped through the net until the age of 27. He's likely just seen as a cheap option that can play as a backup.
He is also giving ETH a trusted squad depth, more tactic flexible and different formation to against different teams.
Moreover, he is reaching a peaked age for a midfielder of balanced ability, mental and experience. So I think he is a useful squad player in that cheap price.

Theonas

Scout
Don't rely on those all action videos. If you're drawing from it that he's maybe as good as Casemiro then that says it all. Makes you wonder why he's only ever played for C level teams at best. He's not some hidden gem that has slipped through the net until the age of 27. He's likely just seen as a cheap option that can play as a backup.
Liverpool signed Wijnaldum when he was 26. Up until then he played for Feyenoord, PSV and relegation candidates Newcastle. Wouldn't you say that despite this "C level" resumé, he proved to be a very good signing?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Everyone keeps saying press resistant but I doubt there's any player who's press resistant when they have 4 opponents coming from all directions. So it's just one of those terms like fox in the box because foxes aren't allowed in official matches.

dinostar77

Methinks that the hold up is due to Goretzka's possible availability.
Personally i dont think so. If fred or donny leave amrabat comes in which is very likely. If we sell mctominay and goretzka is available, maybe we look at doing something then. Goretzka isnt a DLP like amrabat, but a physical, powerful midfielder. Seeing as goretzka doesnt want to leave and Bayern are looking for a no6, i doubt they will let him leave until new no6 is secured.

croadyman

Personally i dont think so. If fred or donny leave amrabat comes in which is very likely. If we sell mctominay and goretzka is available, maybe we look at doing something then. Goretzka isnt a DLP like amrabat, but a physical, powerful midfielder. Seeing as goretzka doesnt want to leave and Bayern are looking for a no6, i doubt they will let him leave until new no6 is secured.
Would be staggered to see us sign both,absolutely convinced that it's going to be one or the other

Trex

Everyone keeps saying press resistant but I doubt there's any player who's press resistant when they have 4 opponents coming from all directions. So it's just one of those terms like fox in the box because foxes aren't allowed in official matches.
Yeah no one is 100% but some players like a Jack Grealish or B.Silva are so good at keeping it. I've seen Grealish keep it with up to 4 players pressuring him at Villa. You're more likely to bring him down than win the ball.
Amrabat is technical, with a lot of strength and football smarts, he knows how to keep the ball.

Trex

Would be staggered to see us sign both,absolutely convinced that it's going to be one or the other
Its going to be Amrabat, ETH likes his old boys and will insist on him and in this case rightly so. We don't need Goretzka skillset the way we need Amrabats.

bringbackbebe

Maybe it's the ghost of DVB that's haunting me, but if he's so good & available for 25m, why is no other premier league club after him?

bringbackbebe

He has been bought by Dortmund though.
This can't really be a benchmark for us buying players. I'd get it if Amrabat was in his teens or early 20s or if he was an unproven potential. We're talking about a 27 year old full international, after a terrific world cup contribution (read extensively scouted), available for peanuts not being wanted by basically any other top or near top club. I'd scale down expectations on him if we are going buy him.

Trex

Maybe it's the ghost of DVB that's haunting me, but if he's so good & available for 25m, why is no other premier league club after him?
He was of serious interest to Barca as Busquet replacement. Problem is they're dirt broke.

Highfather_24

I dont get the "need to sell Fred, VdB" to get Amrabat thing. VdB barely played last year. Both his and Fred's contribution has already been replaced by Mount and Mainoo. I think Amrabat directly replaces McT, so I'm guessing he will be sold once we sign Amrabat. Fred/VdB need to be moved on first, because their replacements have already been brought in and are surplus to requirements.

Casemiro
Amrabat
Eriksen
Mount
Bruno
Mainoo

I think that's a solid midfield.

CH23

This can't really be a benchmark for us buying players. I'd get it if Amrabat was in his teens or early 20s or if he was an unproven potential. We're talking about a 27 year old full international, after a terrific world cup contribution (read extensively scouted), available for peanuts not being wanted by basically any other top or near top club. I'd scale down expectations on him if we are going buy him.
Basically this. I get it that a lot of us are excited but he is a squad player at most.

Trex

I dont get the "need to sell Fred, VdB" to get Amrabat thing. VdB barely played last year. Both his and Fred's contribution has already been replaced by Mount and Mainoo. I think Amrabat directly replaces McT, so I'm guessing he will be sold once we sign Amrabat. Fred/VdB need to be moved on first, because their replacements have already been brought in and are surplus to requirements.

Casemiro
Amrabat
Eriksen
Mount
Bruno
Mainoo

I think that's a solid midfield.
The need is to create space in the locker room. We're not Chelsea that stockpile them.

Gerald G

While I do think we're interested, it's clearly not advanced as some have claimed over the past 2 weeks. I think we will actually bid for him once we sell Fred and/or VdB

CG1010

Depends on what you think the current expectations are. I am just looking forward to having a player who is technical and fits our playing style over Mctominay and Fred. Beyond this I have no current opinion on him.

Anyway I was responding to the person who was comparing DVB and Sabitzer. The latter did reasonably well with us and is now in Dortmund so that comparison doesn't hold.

OrcaFat

A few people have posted that he only has a year left on his contract (not sure if true).

Also he is not a marquee type, never scores really. His ilk are not in extreme short supply. He just happens to have the attributes we’re looking for.

BorisManUtd

Our first PL game is vs Wolves on 14th August so ideally over next 10 days we sell Fred/vdB/Henderson and get Amrabat finally.

NLunited

ffs now we are moaning about not paying enough: ‚No one wants him‘.

With Hojlund it was ‚we are paying too much‘.

We are really not missing a chance to moan are we?

We should pass on Amrabat who is a top midfield prospect because he‘s too cheap.

We should pass on Hojlund who is a top striker prospect because he costs too much.

I‘m really happy with the Hojlund signing and hope we get Amrabat too.

Cantonagotmehere

ffs now we are moaning about not paying enough: ‚No one wants him‘.

With Hojlund it was ‚we are paying too much‘.

We are really not missing a chance to moan are we?

We should pass on Amrabat who is a top midfield prospect because he‘s too cheap.

We should pass on Hojlund who is a top striker prospect because he costs too much.

I‘m really happy with the Hojlund signing and hope we get Amrabat too.
Hahahahahha. Well said mate.

Alemar

It’s tiring to continuously hear “Fred and VDB are close to leaving” when there are clearly no high bids for either of them and no traction on either sale. Our desire to sell is not equivalent of them being close to leaving…

croadyman

While I do think we're interested, it's clearly not advanced as some have claimed over the past 2 weeks. I think we will actually bid for him once we sell Fred and/or VdB
Yep convinced that's the case

croadyman

Our first PL game is vs Wolves on 14th August so ideally over next 10 days we sell Fred/vdB/Henderson and get Amrabat finally.
I think most realistic prospect is a deal agreed around this time next week,few days training then makes the squad for Spurs

FujiVice

This makes me happy. No more McFred. No more subutteo goalkeeper. Two bad bad men in the middle of the midfield and defence. Hope we get him

----------------------Onana-----------------
AWB/Dalot-------Varane---Martinez---Shaw
----------Casemiro----Ambrabat-----------

RedStarUnited

Isnt that what Romanos been saying all along? That we only sign him after we get rid of Fred

FujiVice

He's got a set price, and wants to come. It seems like the easiest deal in the world if we manage to shift one of the midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.