Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

I know mate but we've been here before with overvaluing our poor players and half of the forum encourage this nonsense.

Rojo, Bailly, Lingard, Darmian and Romero could have all been sold for ok fees but our board try and squeeze unrealistic amounts. Bailly is still here ffs.

If we accepted the 20m for Maguire, West Ham may have given him a desirable contract or paid off a chunk of the difference themselves.

No way is McTominay a 40m+ player. So many posters on here don't get the market. They all refer to Rice, Enzo, Lavia, Caicedo etc when valuing our deadwood without considering the fact that the aforementioned players are being signed by BIG clubs. Smaller clubs, especially non PL clubs will not spend these kind of sums, as seen with the Fred transfer. 30m is good money for McTominay!

Amrabat should be an easy move for club like ours but the owners and the people in charge of football operations are useless.
We were never going to accept a £20m offer for Maguire because that would mean the transfer would be recorded as a loss for FFP. The fact that West Ham came back with a £30m bid shows we were justified in doing so as well.

It doesn't work that way in football, if you give teams a good deal on a player they aren't suddenly going to do us a favour and pay Maguire's severance on our behalf. If anything it feeds into the perception that you can take United for a ride. We should've been a lot more forceful in pushing Maguire towards the exit door but ultimately you can't make the player leave if he isn't receptive to it.

NLunited

If Pool gets him, that‘s directly on the owners. He‘s ready to join us.

BootsyCollins

Unfortunately years of incompetence in the market has lead us to this point where we’re unable to sign players who are practically begging to join us for very reasonable fees because our hands are now tied with FFP. The worst thing is the only way to raise more funds is by selling our deadwood but we’re one of the worst clubs in Europe at doing that so essentially we’re done in the market.
Its a bad situation. No wonder our deadwood wont leave either. No way Donny, McT or similar gets paid as much anywhere else.

Borussia Teeth

We were never going to accept a £20m offer for Maguire because that would mean the transfer would be recorded as a loss for FFP. The fact that West Ham came back with a £30m bid shows we were justified in doing so as well.

It doesn't work that way in football, if you give teams a good deal on a player they aren't suddenly going to do us a favour and pay Maguire's severance on our behalf. If anything it feeds into the perception that you can take United for a ride. We should've been a lot more forceful in pushing Maguire towards the exit door but ultimately you can't make the player leave if he isn't receptive to it.
I'm no expert on ffp but from reading on here: accepting 20m would have resulted in a 6m loss. Selling McTominay who is pure profit would have covered the loss. We also could have negotiated the extra 10 million that West Ham came in with could have gone to Maguire from their end.

Are you happy that we're keeping both? Were you happy that we kept Lingard, Darmian, Romero and Rojo when there was money to be made? The fees would have been low; in your words "taken for a ride" but we would have deadwood off of the wage bill, space in the squad for new acquisitions and some money.

We will have to be "taken for a ride" in order to get rid of our poor players. Woodward and Judge have sealed our fate in that regard by dishing out ridiculous contracts.

Cantonagotmehere

I have no idea how we will line up when Casemiro is rested or even hurt. Not saying Amrabat would solve all those problems but goodness we need someone who cam play some DM.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Or maybe we were never really that interested in him, which I think is the likely scenario.

There's been no brief from the club side to the British journos about our interest. All the reports have come from Italy with Amrabat's agent as the likely source. We may have sorted him out as of interest but I don't think he's our first choice.

We'll know in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
McTominay doesn’t have any real role or purpose in this team. And Hannibal hasn’t impressed the manager. That leaves

Casemiro - DM
Bruno - AM
Mainoo - 8
Mount - AM / 8
VDB - crap

Thats one DM and possibly two 8s out which one is more of an AM atm. We definitely should be adding a second DM / playmaker and Amrabat fits as he seems to be more of a playmaker in deep areas than anyone we have even if he’s not rock solid defensively or top class.
McTominay will be well ahead of Mainoo.

mikeyt

The ownership situation has destroyed the window for us and that's on the Glazers, who lets face it aint selling. However it was ETH's decision to throw £55million to Chelsea for a bang average player who we didn't need. We could've probably got Pavard and Amrabat for what we paid for Mount and we'd actually have filled squad positions we genuinely needed to. That is on ETH.

cyberman

The ownership situation has destroyed the window for us and that's on the Glazers, who lets face it aint selling. However it was ETH's decision to throw £55million to Chelsea for a bang average player who we didn't need. We could've probably got Pavard and Amrabat for what we paid for Mount and we'd actually have filled squad positions we genuinely needed to. That is on ETH.
It’s on him for not signing the players you want?

joedirt87

I have no idea how we will line up when Casemiro is rested or even hurt. Not saying Amrabat would solve all those problems but goodness we need someone who cam play some DM.
McTominay obviously playing out of position as DM. Should be fun.

thomas porter

i dont understand why we dont have the funds to wrap this deal up immediately with the sales of Fred & Kovar.

parmenio

ETH made Mount his no1 signing of the summer. He’s also spent far more than most expected On 3 players. There will be loads of wheeling and dealing over the next 2 weeks. The manager got the players he wanted the rest is squad filling etc. I’d love AmRabat and Pavard but it’s down to money. Getting rid of dead wood never easy. Mount is still bedding in. We are a better team than last season for sure. Just need fit strikers now. Then whole dynamic changes.

Drizzle

i dont understand why we dont have the funds to wrap this deal up immediately with the sales of Fred & Kovar.
It's possible we're exploring other more adventurous deals (Onana?) and have Amrabat as backup.

On the other hand we may just be skint/incompetent.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Probably been asked a few times already but when is he expected to return to training?
The last update we got was from the club saying he would miss the 'first part' of the campaign. I'm assuming that means 4-5 months out?

MUFC OK

Given up on the idea of this happening now. We clearly don’t have/are unwilling to part with the funds. Should have brought in Amrabat and Pavard for McT and Maguire for profit yet we’ve conspired to mess it up.

CM

I'm no expert on ffp but from reading on here: accepting 20m would have resulted in a 6m loss. Selling McTominay who is pure profit would have covered the loss. We also could have negotiated the extra 10 million that West Ham came in with could have gone to Maguire from their end.

Are you happy that we're keeping both? Were you happy that we kept Lingard, Darmian, Romero and Rojo when there was money to be made? The fees would have been low; in your words "taken for a ride" but we would have deadwood off of the wage bill, space in the squad for new acquisitions and some money.

We will have to be "taken for a ride" in order to get rid of our poor players. Woodward and Judge have sealed our fate in that regard by dishing out ridiculous contracts.
Yeah but why would you accept £20m knowing West Ham came back with a bid of £30m? If your starting position is being prepared to take a hit on the fee to facilitate the transfer then the buying club would expect you to foot the bill to pay the player off as well. We did the right thing in holding out.

Once we got to a point of accepting a bid, we should've done everything in our power to ensure the deal didn't fall through. We don't have access to the intimate details of the deal so we don't really know what happened. If it was a case of losing a couple of million to pay Maguire off, I'd have been tempted to do it just to get him out the door, but the truth is we don't know how close United and Maguire were to coming to an agreement, or the financial implications of doing that.

If we could get around £35m for McTominay I'd send him packing myself. I want both of those players gone. It's important that any fees we receive for those two players can go towards new signings, though. It's more straightforward with McTominay because as you say, any money we get from him is pure profit. With Maguire it might be a bit more convoluted, I don't really know what the implications are for recording that deal as a loss.

Plastic Evra

I know the question has been asked 200 times for Onana, but wouldn't Amrabat be called up for the ACN actually ?

Borussia Teeth

Yeah but why would you accept £20m knowing West Ham came back with a bid of £30m? If your starting position is being prepared to take a hit on the fee to facilitate the transfer then the buying club would expect you to foot the bill to pay the player off as well. We did the right thing in holding out.

Once we got to a point of accepting a bid, we should've done everything in our power to ensure the deal didn't fall through. We don't have access to the intimate details of the deal so we don't really know what happened. If it was a case of losing a couple of million to pay Maguire off, I'd have been tempted to do it just to get him out the door, but the truth is we don't know how close United and Maguire were to coming to an agreement, or the financial implications of doing that.

If we could get around £35m for McTominay I'd send him packing myself. I want both of those players gone. It's important that any fees we receive for those two players can go towards new signings, though. It's more straightforward with McTominay because as you say, any money we get from him is pure profit. With Maguire it might be a bit more convoluted, I don't really know what the implications are for recording that deal as a loss.
Fair enough. I probably agree with you for the most part because I want both of them out and we managed to get a larger bid for Maguire but they didn't go back in for McTominay so this hard stance tactic doesn't always work.

the_cliff

I know the question has been asked 200 times for Onana, but wouldn't Amrabat be called up for the ACN actually ?
Yes Amrabat would.
Onana has retired from international football so he wouldn't.

Nowadays players only end up missing 2 epl games (if they reach the final) during the afcon anyway...

Plastic Evra

Yes Amrabat would.
Onana has retired from international football so he wouldn't.

Nowadays players only end up missing 2 epl games (if they reach the final) during the afcon anyway...
I remember O.Marseille generally get a little worried because they sometimes have so many players called at the ACN the team is significantly weakened.

Status
Not open for further replies.