Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

It’s still a lot. Very few clubs can afford to give their managers £400m to spend in two years without any outgoing transfers, and on top of that allow them to pick their own targets with virtually no interference. It’s incorrect to claim ETH has not been backed.
He's been backed, but the Glazers have underestimated the cost of the rebuild. Or maybe they didn't, and that's why they're looking to sell up.

No players have gone out because recruitment has been poor since even SAF's final years, and nobody wants to buy players we consider to be surplus to requirements, because they're not very good and are on huge wages. That's down to them and their poor leadership, especially in appointing Woodward and not proactively installing some sort of footballing director or long term strategy.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He's been backed, but the Glazers have underestimated the cost of the rebuild. Or maybe they didn't, and that's why they're looking to sell up.

No players have gone out because recruitment has been poor since even SAF's final years, and nobody wants to buy players we consider to be surplus to requirements, because they're not very good and are on huge wages. That's down to them and their poor leadership, especially in appointing Woodward and not proactively installing some sort of footballing director or long term strategy.
[/QUOTE
Agree.

Bojan Djordjic

yeah i just dont get the prices we get quoted for vs other teams. Even ones like city who everyone knows has a shitton of money seem to get quoted for less. I would say the only other club i see who get quoted higher prices would be chelsea as they seemingly buy everyone for high prices.
It feels like United want to buy a player we are always absolutely desperate for that player and that player alone. Think a lot of it is down to constantly pursuing a manager-led recruitment strategy. We can never just walk away because we're limited in range to the players the manager knows extremely well or the post-peak superstars that everyone has seen perform in the Champions League. The reins need to be pulled back from Ten Hag. He didn't have this control over transfers at Ajax and seemed to do all the better for it. Wrecks my head spending €5mn on a substandard keeper here or on a loan for the likes of Cucurella/Weghorst/Sabitzer when we could be buying high potential players that appreciate in value for prices not far off those if we go to markets outside of Europe's top leagues.

OrcaFat

It feels like United want to buy a player we are always absolutely desperate for that player and that player alone. Think a lot of it is down to constantly pursuing a manager-led recruitment strategy. We can never just walk away because we're limited in range to the players the manager knows extremely well or the post-peak superstars that everyone has seen perform in the Champions League. The reins need to be pulled back from Ten Hag. He didn't have this control over transfers at Ajax and seemed to do all the better for it. Wrecks my head spending €5mn on a substandard keeper here or on a loan for the likes of Cucurella/Weghorst/Sabitzer when we could be buying high potential players that appreciate in value for prices not far off those if we go to markets outside of Europe's top leagues.
It’s all about the money. I’m sure EtH would have taken Caicedo or Lavia in a heartbeat but the club would rather try and get a player from the team of the WC on loan for £1m.

The-Mezzala

Could we not do a swap deal with Fiorentina with McTom going the other way or VDB? FFP seems the only thing holding this deal up

kaku06

We really botched up in not selling Mctominay to West Ham for £30m. Would have given ample room to sign some players with regards to ffp.

Robertd0803

Does anyone here actually know what the penalty is for breaking FFP the way United might do if we sign Amrabat ? Surely it cant be bad
We already have been fined once by Uefa recently so we are now on the second level of sanctions presumably.

ShinjiNinja26

He still got somewhere near £400m to invest. It’s plenty enough to rebuild a team to a point where it should have some quality.
It does have some quality though, hence why we finished 3rd and won a trophy. The first time a manager has finished top 4 and won silverware in the same season since Sir Alex retired. Don’t forget how bad things were the season before ETH came in. Sure some of his signings haven’t worked out, Antony being the biggest one but he’s made some good signings as well. The whole point of this is about how we’re now hampered in the market because of FFP but it’s not because ETH has spent money it’s because of all the money we’ve squandered in the years before through various managers and now it’s coming back to haunt us. If ETH came in 2 managers ago we wouldn’t be in this mess and instead in a far better position imo as I think he’s the man to take us forward.

Infra-red

Why bother putting in an offer if your offer is a derisory €2m, made even more insulting by splitting it over two fecking instalments.

Watching United desperately floundering around in the market in the final week of the window is just painful. Predictable, but painful nonetheless.

Chip

Surely this is bs? We're not that broke, right?

And we are reportedly ready to pay a €8 million loan fee for Cucurella? Either it's completely bullshit, or we're taking lowballing to the next level. FFS

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And we are reportedly ready to pay a €8 million loan fee for Cucurella? Either it's completely bullshit, or we're taking lowballing to the next level. FFS
No report said we are ready to pay that.

Whitwell said Chelsea asked for it. Marca said we are closing in at 3m.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It does have some quality though, hence why we finished 3rd and won a trophy. The first time a manager has finished top 4 and won silverware in the same season since Sir Alex retired. Don’t forget how bad things were the season before ETH came in. Sure some of his signings haven’t worked out, Antony being the biggest one but he’s made some good signings as well. The whole point of this is about how we’re now hampered in the market because of FFP but it’s not because ETH has spent money it’s because of all the money we’ve squandered in the years before through various managers and now it’s coming back to haunt us. If ETH came in 2 managers ago we wouldn’t be in this mess and instead in a far better position imo as I think he’s the man to take us forward.
I don’t rate our last two transfer windows at all but that’s a discussion for another thread. As for Amrabat, if we truly wanted him, he would be here already. He’s not here because we prioritized Mount and since we could not offload McTominay, there was no real need to bring Amrabat.

RedUnited86

What a way to insult a club you're trying to do "business" with.

John is doing one hell of a fine job.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
One thing they mentioned on Tifo that surprised me (as admittedly I haven't seen him play except at the World Cup) is that he is a deep-lying playmaker.

That surprised me - I thought he was more of a destroyer and carrier. But apparently Fiorentina are a very possession-based side, so he doesn't make that many tackles.

iato89

Everything is just way to slow.

It’s like me trying to be like Paul Scholes when I normally play upfront.

I just don’t see this going well.
did you see how he bossed Westham midfield in the ECL final?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Him and Mainoo would be the only midfielders you could trust in first phase build up

Chip

No report said we are ready to pay that.

Whitwell said Chelsea asked for it. Marca said we are closing in at 3m.
Okay. But it still doesn't change the fact that a loan fee (potentially rising to) €2 million is extremely cheap.

Gandalf

We refused to pay that, we offered 2M for Cucurella. Looking more and more like we have no cash on hand right now, Glazers squeezing the last bit of cash out before leaving I hope.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Okay. But it still doesn't change the fact that a loan fee (potentially rising to) €2 million is extremely cheap.
Yes, it's what he has.
Murtough can be blamed for overpaying for Antony but that's it really. Hes not the only DoF to make a mistake.

Broadly his business has been good and he's worked well to get the managers players in.

Chip

We refused to pay that, we offered 2M for Cucurella. Looking more and more like we have no cash on hand right now, Glazers squeezing the last bit of cash out before leaving I hope.
Alright. I stand corrected. But €2 million offers for players at this level seems borderline insulting.

Chip

Yes, it's what he has.
Murtough can be blamed for overpaying for Antony but that's it really. Hes not the only DoF to make a mistake.

Broadly his business has been good and he's worked well to get the managers players in.
At what point did I specifically blame Murtough? I'm just pointing out that a €1-2 million loan offer for a seasoned international in his prime seems incredibly cheap - especially in a market where middling players routinely go for €50 million.

If anything it tells a lot about the financial state we're in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
At what point did I specifically blame Murtough? I'm just pointing out that a €1-2 million loan offer for a seasoned international in his prime seems incredibly cheap - especially in a market where middling players routinely go for €50 million.

If anything it tells a lot about the financial state we're in.
Apologies I was also quoting some other dude mugging off Murtough for no reason.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
i hope steve mcclaren moves quickly to sort out this transfer, enough dilly dallying with cucurella

Bojan Djordjic

It’s all about the money. I’m sure EtH would have taken Caicedo or Lavia in a heartbeat but the club would rather try and get a player from the team of the WC on loan for £1m.
In fairness, there's been a lot of money spent but its been spent very foolishly. That keeper (edited for clarification: Altay Bayinder) we bought looks woeful and Cucurella has been thoroughly abject since leaving the Brighton eco-system. We make previous high performers like Sancho and Pogba looks awful so why would anyone think we can rehabilitate players that are downright terrible to start with.

We'll spend about ten million on the two short-term transfers/loans which serve no strategic purpose when we could sign Redondo for around that fee and someone like Valentin Barco seems to be available for 3.5 on transfermkt so double (or triple) that valuation and its still really cheap.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In fairness, there's been a lot of money spent but its been spent very foolishly. That keeper we bought looks woeful and Cucurella has been thoroughly abject since leaving the Brighton eco-system. We make previous high performers like Sancho and Pogba looks awful so why would anyone think we can rehabilitate players that are downright terrible to start with.

We'll spend about ten million on the two short-term transfers/loans which serve no strategic purpose when we could sign Redondo for around that fee and someone like Valentin Barco seems to be available for 3.5 on transfermkt so double (or triple) that valuation and its still really cheap.
Struggling to get past this :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.