Solskjær press conference vs Brighton (H)

Red Devil Rising

What sort of stupid questions are these? Does the journalist who asked this expect Ole to go "Nope, Mourinho will be managing a club in China soon" or something.

Just asking questions hoping Ole will incur some slip of the tongue which may provide scope for some click-bait headline. Terrible journalism.
It's the same old shit every single time.

"When you came here, would you believe the start you'd make?
"No, I was expecting to lose every game by now so it's come as a bit of a shock really"

"
How disappointing is it that Sanchez has not played as much as you want?"
"Not disappointing at all. It doesn't really bother me if he doesn't play another game for us between now and the end of the season"

Christ I mean really, what's he supposed to say to those questions? Like someone else here said, stealing a fecking living.

crossy1686

career ending
I may be a bit unsure on targets Solskjaer might look to bring in should he get the job full time but I'm absolutely certain he'll get all the player exits right.

youngrell

He's really quite inspiring in the way he talks about the club and it's principles, I can only imagine how that must rub off on the players day to day :devil:

Peter Brewer

Bingo! Nothing wrong with being confident and cocky as long as you can back it up. That's been what United has always been about.

He makes me so excited for the future as he says exactly what the fans are wanting, and he genuinely believes it. Not just talk for the press.
Solskjaer: “You cannot be too confident, it's complacency, it's the other side of it, I want players to be confident but not complacent and not take their foot off the pedal because that's a big difference for me.

“Everyone said about Tottenham being the test.

“I don't think that's a test in attitude, the players are going to be up for that game.

“I’m looking for a reaction in a home game against a team you should dominate and be better than. “These are the points that will get you up the table.

“As I've said before you go into every single game as a Manchester United coach, as a player or manager thinking you'll win the next one, that's just the nature of this club.

“We've had six good games but the next one is the most important one.”

Big difference between being confident and being complacent, said Solskjaer.
And I'll have to agree after checking the dictionary :lol:

Web of Bissaka

What sort of stupid questions are these? Does the journalist who asked this expect Ole to go "Nope, Mourinho will be managing a club in China soon" or something.

Just asking questions hoping Ole will incur some slip of the tongue which may provide scope for some click-bait headline. Terrible journalism.
Journalism at its finest -- Fishing for juicy controversial comments. Those things sells fast and sells hot yo.

They're playing with the wrong person this time. They miss the previous manager who love to make them plenty of flavors. Ole so far is saying the right things, played his cards well not playing their game. Then again, Ole is just being Ole. Just a positive person and model professional-ish.

midnightmare

Whether you like him or not now's not the time to sell anyone. The next manager may see him as part of their plans
If Fellaini figures as a major option for any candidate, that candidate shouldn’t get the job. Fellaini has his uses. I just don’t believe that a club like us should have need for those attributes that he brings. Just antithetical to the playing style we should have.

Web of Bissaka

I may be a bit unsure on targets Solskjaer might look to bring in should he get the job full time but I'm absolutely certain he'll get all the player exits right.
? Still early.
The only one that seems to be shown the door is just Valencia. Ole literally don't pick him anymore in games after that one chance, still available, even when we need defenders vs Spurs -- just 5 defenders in the traveled team. But then who knows later games, seemingly to stay that way though. Fellaini, Rojo and Smalling is because of injuries. Darmian too.

I still have fair doubts about those two aspects, but I'll just worry about it this summer, if Ole stay. Otherwise, he's doing a superb job. Don't mind at all if we won't bring any new players this window, to the first team.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If Fellaini figures as a major option for any candidate, that candidate shouldn’t get the job. Fellaini has his uses. I just don’t believe that a club like us should have need for those attributes that he brings. Just antithetical to the playing style we should have.
So if Pep wanted to come here and wanted to keep Fellaini you wouldn't want him?

EDIT: Disclaimer obviously I doubt A- Pep would come here and B- even if he did would want Fellaini

midnightmare

So if Pep wanted to come here and wanted to keep Fellaini you wouldn't want him?

EDIT: Disclaimer obviously I doubt A- Pep would come here and B- even if he did would want Fellaini
There’s your answer. A United manager should want to play quick, incisive and attractive football. Fellaini just doesn’t work for such a system. Has loads of positives but not for this role.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So no new defender then?
Koulibaly in the summer.

Honestly, we don't need one right now. Smalling/Bailly/Jones/Lindelof is enough to see us in 4th place.

Adam-Utd

I'm thinking of the CL :(
PSG are probably going to score no matter who we buy, we just have to make sure we can score too!

I'm more confident now than I was under Mourinho anyway.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
On Pogba
Pogba said overconfidence would be the biggest issue against Brighton because of the way the team have played recently...

Overconfident? No you cannot be too confident, it’s complacency, it’s the other side of it, I want players to be confident but not complacent and take their foot off the pedal because that’s a big diff for me. Take people on, running passing forward getting the crowd with them because that’s what it’s about.
Compare this to that Moyes quote:

"Newcastle are coming to Old Trafford and we are going to make it as difficult for them as we possibly can"
:lol:

Handré1990

"
Everyone said about Tottenham being the test, I don’t think that’s a test in attitude, the players are gonna be up for that game, I’m looking for a reaction in a home game against a team you should dominate and be better than, that’s the attitude if we go out there and do it in these games it’s these are the points that will get you up the table.
"

Brightons team talk right there. I really like ole but i do think on occasion he should be slighty more guarded than he is. Its a really minor thing but yeah, hes a bit too open and it'll be interesting to see how / if that changes if results start to turn.
I disagree. Feck being guarded. We’re ManUtd, it’s not a secret we should dominate Brighton my man!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
PSG are probably going to score no matter who we buy, we just have to make sure we can score too!

I'm more confident now than I was under Mourinho anyway.
We are clearly a million miles better in the league under Ole. And it's great to have a settled line up with Lukaku out of the team. But I'm not sure going all out attack will work in the CL. Koulibaly now would immediately make us a lot stronger.

onemanarmy

Koulibaly now would immediately make us a lot stronger.
A player new to the team, to our tactics and who just had a transfer which has a huge impact on a personal level too, will make us a lot stronger in a game which is 3 weeks away? Can't see it.

Adam-Utd

We are clearly a million miles better in the league under Ole. And it's great to have a settled line up with Lukaku out of the team. But I'm not sure going all out attack will work in the CL. Koulibaly now would immediately make us a lot stronger.
Don't get me wrong i'd love to have him now too, but Napoli won't even pick up the phone. It'll have to be the summer if any.

Winrar

This is true.
Not just in what they say but the way they try to convey a message is a big improvement as well. Just an example regarding closing gap on rivals:

Jose: "The target changed but let’s try to close the distance as best as we can and be very close to these positions."
Ole: "We've caught up 8-9 points before"

Again, like night and day. I know which one of the two managers I would want to follow and play under.

moodyred

There is no such thing as overconfident. Only complacency. Love it!

Let's go into this game with confidence!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A player new to the team, to our tactics and who just had a transfer which has a huge impact on a personal level too, will make us a lot stronger in a game which is 3 weeks away? Can't see it.
Alternatively, a top class defender who raises confidence levels in the backline, is a danger at set pieces and further cements the feel-good factor of the Ole era. Of course it can pan out in any which way. I just think he'd improve us right away. He's much much better than any of our defenders.

Don't get me wrong i'd love to have him now too, but Napoli won't even pick up the phone. It'll have to be the summer if any.
Yeah, that might be right. I doubt we've submitted any offer for him though. I'm wary of anything that comes from the Serie A chairmen (like that bit about Lazio rejecting a mega offer for Savic). Would be reassuring to know we've made a proper bid for him..

RedDevilRoshi

He's really quite inspiring in the way he talks about the club and it's principles, I can only imagine how that must rub off on the players day to day :devil:

The evidence is on the pitch. Players look so refreshed and really enjoying their football again. They want Ole as the permanent manager and it’s quite clear to see why.

Long may it continue!

onemanarmy

Alternatively, a top class defender who raises confidence levels in the backline, is a danger at set pieces and further cements the feel-good factor of the Ole era. Of course it can pan out in any which way. I just think he'd improve us right away. He's much much better than any of our defenders.
It's an expensive gamble to go for him in January. No doubt he'd be a good purchase in the long term, but Napoli would skin us.

And "a danger on set pieces", he's only scored 14 goals in more than 350 games. I thought his aerial ability was his weaker point.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's an expensive gamble to go for him in January. No doubt he'd be a good purchase in the long term, but Napoli would skin us.

And "a danger on set pieces", he's only scored 14 goals in more than 350 games. I thought his aerial ability was his weaker point.
I'm not sure he'd be much cheaper in the summer. There is a dearth of top class centre backs.

He's a beast, that's what I meant. And he's good aerially, every time I've watched him anyway. Compared to Lindelof and Bailly, who both seriously lack in that department. They'd benefit having an experienced top class defender to train with and play alongside.

Adam-Utd

So who are you going to sign who isn't cup tied? Koulibaly is tied, Manolas is tied. Perhaps you want Maguire?
Think players become untied from the group stage now?

el3mel

So Fellaini is just injured, not really frozen out to be sold like people were claiming.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This man is so thorough talking, he knows Manchester United through and through.

red4ever 79

So Fellaini is just injured, not really frozen out to be sold like people were claiming.
Well depends how you read the chain of events. Was in dubai training, various videos on line of him taking part running around, didnt make the last few match day squads for premier league prior to the training camp.

el3mel

Well depends how you read the chain of events. Was in dubai training, various videos on line of him taking part running around, didnt make the last few match day squads for premier league prior to the training camp.
I tend to believe what our manager says.

Adam-Utd

I tend to believe what our manager says.
He was in the training video man utd + beanysports uploaded recently, which must have been thursday.

If he got injured in the session then maybe it's true, but seems unlikely? he was moving absolutely fine in those videos.