Solskjær press conference vs Chelsea (H)

momo83

Massive Snowflake
So you've decided that people's comments on here regarding nostalgia are somehow Ole's plan? Sounds like tinfoil hat stuff to me.

Yeah Lukaku was always leaving and he addressed that earlier that he wants to bring Greenwood into the fold. That doesn't mean he can't look for an experienced player to be here for a couple of seasons if the price and wages are right. Obviously they weren't. Plus we have no idea when the possibility of signing Mandzukic became aware to the club. It literally could have just been mentioned when we were in discussions about Dybala.

I know we should have bought someone for the midfield but he addresses two gaping holes in the squad this summer at CB and RB. How is that reacting to what other clubs throw at us?
Yes. He does it because what else can he point to, his success at Cardiff or winning the league with Molde? So he uses feelings and emotion of the past and fans longing to return to those time.

Could you point us to one post that uses the word "nostalgia" as a defence of Ole?
People bringing up Giggs as untested 17 year old, when it’s said that Mason is untested 17 year old. People using famous line “you don’t win anything with kids” people making comparisons to this summer and summer of 95. Every defence of Ole or belief into why he’ll be successful is linked to something SAF did!

In 10 years of management he has proven he is not on SAF level, or any elite or top manager level.

As season goes on, more and more will slowly and reluctantly start to realise. Another wasted season. Everton looking strong, Wolves have a great team and great manager.

We’ve improved our defence but weakened our midfield which basically weakens our defence and attack.

JohnZSmith27

he uses feelings and emotion of the past and fans longing to return to those time.
Maybe I'm not picking you up right. Throw me a couple of examples of him using feelings and emotions of the past etc. Because so far it just looks like you're projecting these things onto him.

fps

Well... look at all the SAF and nostalgia comments that people are making to defend Ole. And to be honest, Ole clearly encourages it as he knows playing on the promise of a return to the Fergie years is something that will keep naive people on side.

Let’s see how incompetent Ole is as a manager (so people don’t mistake professional criticism as personal attack) . It been clear that Lukaku was going since Ole became permanent manager. So Ole has had several months to identify targets. Yet on the last day club was trying to sign Mandzukic failed and now Ole uses the trust in youth thing.

We need a manager who at least knows where he is heading and isn’t lead by circumstances around him. Tbh with exception of defensive signings, everything else appears to be Ole just reacting to what other clubs throw at us.
You sound a little like a conspiracy theorist.

croadyman

it was always going to be a poor/ok window when you dont have the structures in place to make it a good/great window. This was never going to be a quick fix but I find it really disappointing that all our purchases and interest it seems were players in the English league/English players

it's all well and good only looking for players with the right attitude, mentality and ability - I agree with this obviously

are we to believe that there were no players in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal or wherever who met the criteria - ridiculous
Yeah the fact we didn't seem to look outside of Britain for targets was disappointing,would rather Ole hadn't said fans I have spoke to are happy with what we have either.

I totally get his point about only wanting to sign the right players,however cannot get my head around not being able to find any midfielder that fit the criteria.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

Exactly. Some of these people haven't got a clue and makes me feel the level of footballing debate on here has regressed to alarming levels. I mean, it was never great but it's actually horrendous now. So many clueless people.

There was a time when transfer muppets used to be laughed at on here and were seen as a loud minority. Now, it's almost as if 95% of the forum are those same Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime that people used to laugh at.
yes, spot on. I remember back then, even the negative ones seemed more like banter than anything. Nowadays, it just serious overreaction and most of the time for nothing. I think the ubiquity of social media and media itself exacerbating the Dunning-Kruger effect in everyone plays a huge part in this one.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Mods should grow a pair and start cracking the whip on Ole-related smears.

Express disappointment at the window; discuss concerns about areas of the team and management; go for it. But to insult a bloke who was winning the biggest honours in European football for United before plenty of dickheads on here were born? Do one. Yet labelling Solskjaer a ‘yes man’ because he’s had the common sense not to act like a wanker and abuse his players days before the season starts seems to be fair game.

Grow a set, RedCafe.
Well said buddy well said.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Honestly the caf is as bad as rawk, that's how bad its got on here.

el3mel

Blaming the fans on this forum for the state of the club is the trend here these days huh ?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Tell us what he should do then? Mr Sausage
He’s the one who’ll get the blame when we’re shit, he’s the one who’ll get the sack and possibly his entire career will go down the drain as a result.
He could’ve made sure its obvious the window isn’t going the way he wanted to, just like Poch did, put some pressure on the board you know? without completely destroying our season ala Mourinho last summer.

fps

yes, spot on. I remember back then, even the negative ones seemed more like banter than anything. Nowadays, it just serious overreaction and most of the time for nothing. I think the ubiquity of social media and media itself exacerbating the Dunning-Kruger effect in everyone plays a huge part in this one.
It's as if all nuance has been lost online. I've only been on this forum 6 months or so, but it's alarming to see the knee-jerk, emotional, childish reactions of a lot of people here, and how many are prepared to take them seriously.

Anyway, to uncharted seas with Solskjaer. May it be more interesting than last season.

rotherham_red

Mods should grow a pair and start cracking the whip on Ole-related smears.

Express disappointment at the window; discuss concerns about areas of the team and management; go for it. But to insult a bloke who was winning the biggest honours in European football for United before plenty of dickheads on here were born? Do one. Yet labelling Solskjaer a ‘yes man’ because he’s had the common sense not to act like a wanker and abuse his players days before the season starts seems to be fair game.

Grow a set, RedCafe.
Absolutely spot on. The lack of respect is so disappointing... The yes man argument is even worse considering Ole was the only player who had the brass and bottle to call out the Glazers when they first arrived. The fecking twats on here who label him as such were probably still swimming in their dad's ball sack at the time.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
@prateik nice to see a sensible post, I firmly believe come next summer the deadwood will be out. People forget that it took Liverpool a few years and hit and miss managers to properly find their feet under Klopp. Yes we're still a huge club but now it's about pulling in the same direction, remembering the foundations Busby, Saf have built, using young promising players surrounded by experience. I've looked hard at the state of united in recent years and now I think to myself if we couldn't have faith in moyes, lvg or Jose I have to believe in a legend like Ole because if I can't what's the bloody point.

rotherham_red

Honestly, it's awful.

This forum used to be a good laugh and never really took itself seriously. We used to laugh at the likes of RAWK and ArsenalMania, but this is much worse than anything I've seen on there during its worst years. We used to think we were better and more understanding, but this new breed are just horrid.

TRUERED89

He’s the one who’ll get the blame when we’re shit, he’s the one who’ll get the sack and possibly his entire career will go down the drain as a result.
He could’ve made sure its obvious the window isn’t going the way he wanted to, just like Poch did, put some pressure on the board you know? without completely destroying our season ala Mourinho last summer.
Just because he’s positive, doesn’t mean he didn’t put some pressure on Ed to get more signings; we don’t know what goes on inside Man Utd. He cannot be blamed for this shambolic window!

rotherham_red

Blaming the fans on this forum for the state of the club is the trend here these days huh ?
Where did anyone blame them for the state of the club? We're blaming the bandwagon jumpers such as yourself for creating a toxic atmosphere around the club online simply because daddy didn't get you your shiny new toy. The impact that its having on the club's image is just as bad as what bad onfield performances would have. Thankfully, the supporters who put their money where their mouths are, are much more understanding of the situation and what Ole is trying to do...

Supporting a club is about supporting them through the bad times as well as the good. If anyone can't see the difference between a Jose who was self-serving and a man like Ole who is so obviously putting the interests of the club ahead of himself, then quite frankly, you're more than free to leave.

0le

I thought the press conference was good. Its a far cry from Mourinho moaning about every god damn thing.

Denis79

Just because he’s positive, doesn’t mean he didn’t put some pressure on Ed to get more signings; we don’t know what goes on inside Man Utd. He cannot be blamed for this shambolic window!
I doubt many fans will blame him if this season should go south. Atleast I hope they won't.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I doubt many fans will blame him if this season should go south. Atleast I hope they won't.
You don't think it's possible that this season could go south because Ole isn't a good enough manager?

It's kind of interesting to me the way people take such a binary position on this. You have a bunch of people who think Ole should never have been given the job and failure is inevitable with him in charge, no matter how well backed he is. Then there's a bunch of people who think Woodward's incompetence is the only thing stopping Ole from steering us to the top of the table. If this season does end up going badly tits up, doesn't it seem likely that the reality is more complicated than either of those scenarios?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Well @Sir Scott McToMinay and @IrishRedDevil certainly seem to be blaming him, "Ed's sausage all in his mouth"
You should learn how to read, the only thing I’ve “blamed” him for was not putting more pressure on the board publicly to be a lot more active in the window, but I’ve posted a month or two ago that was what i expected pretty much from us this window, a couple in, a couple out.

Kag

You don't think it's possible that this season could go south because Ole isn't a good enough manager?

It's kind of interesting to me the way people take such a binary position on this. You have a bunch of people who think Ole should never have been given the job and failure is inevitable with him in charge, no matter how well backed he is. Then there's a bunch of people who think Woodward's incompetence is the only thing stopping Ole from steering us to the top of the table. If this season does end up going badly tits up, doesn't it seem likely that the reality is more complicated than either of those scenarios?
You’re even attempting to approach a viewpoint with some balance on here? Good on you. A refreshing change.

TRUERED89

You should learn how to read, the only thing I’ve “blamed” him for was not putting more pressure on the board publicly.
Exactly, so you are still basically blaming him for this shite window! We don't know if Ole privately put pressure on, but doing it publicly will only unsettle the whole squad and club as seen last summer!

Denis79

It's kind of interesting to me the way people take such a binary position on this. You have a bunch of people who think Ole should never have been given the job and failure is inevitable with him in charge. Then there's a bunch of people who think Woodward's incompetence is the only thing stopping Ole from steering us to the top of the table. If this season does end up going badly tits up, doesn't it seem likely that our problems began when we chose the wrong replacement for Mourinho?
I feel Ole won't be given a proper shot at it, We aren't better than a top 5-6 team in my honest opinion but he will be asked to deliver beyond the capacity of the squad despite a weak window relative to expectations. On top of that he is inexperienced.

Edit - Yes it has crossed my mind that the job will be too big for Ole, but I also want to see what he can achieve with proper backing. We've had experienced winners as managers and it went tits up, so who knows? Then again I'm very calm this season because I expect nothing.

Last edited:

jem

I thought the press conference was good. Its a far cry from Mourinho moaning about every god damn thing.
Yeah you're absolutely right. I was annoyed at the idea of Ole's putting a positive spin on things, but compared to the misery of Mourinho, it's absolutely the right way to go.

jem

Honestly, it's awful.

This forum used to be a good laugh and never really took itself seriously. We used to laugh at the likes of RAWK and ArsenalMania, but this is much worse than anything I've seen on there during its worst years. We used to think we were better and more understanding, but this new breed are just horrid.
The reason is obvious: United used to be a great team. It's a lot easier to have a good laugh when you know you've got Fergie to sort it all out. I get sick of the endless moaning too, but it's not really surprising and I doubt it'd be any different at City, if they decided to replace Guardiola with Alan Pardew, which is roughly equivalent to what we did with Moyes.

He'sRaldo

Yeah, by a goal, while taking all the penalties. The point is pretty valid nonetheless.
Well if we're talking semantically then Lukaku is one of the people who wouldn't be part of the team later on. Obviously Ole never rated him that highly so no harm done anyway.

M Bison

Supports
York City
"So Ole, are you happy with the squad?"

"No, they're all fecking shit, I can't believe we're going to start this season with this bunch of cnuts. That Pogba, well let's just say I agree with Ron Atkinson on that, Youngy is toss, Rashy couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, and Anthony is a stroppy baguette eating French cnut. Phil Jones is a gurning Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime, Chris Smalling turns like C3PO, and Ed Woodward still drinks breast milk from his mums tit"

Would that make you more happy?
Amongst all the negative nonesense in this thread, this really made me laugh - good work :lol:

Totally agree with the sentiment, Ole handled the press conference in exactly the right way.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
His lack of a backbone will be his downfall.

Ultimate fall guy just Woodwards puppet.

RedRover

He's only a dead man walking if fans don't appreciate he's been shafted by the board this summer.

Personally I think appointing Solskjaer will bit them in the arse because fans are more likely to turn on Woodward and the Glazer's before they go for Solskjaer.
I don't think the fans won't put up with dross on the pitch forever. His lack of experience will be a big point of criticism if he can't get anything from the players, even if he doesn't have the squad he wanted.

In any event, if it doesn't work it's not the fans making the decisions, its Woodward and the owners. They've sacked managers before and will again. The reality is given the stature of the club and the money they can dangle at a potential new manager gives the option of a "quick" fix.

Amarsdd

Was Poch sacked?
Come on that's completely different. He has power at that club now within the team and Levy to an extent after many years. Thus, him complaining about transfers or lets say squad not being good enough won't have much effect on the team's morale and desire of the owner to support him. Given the support Ole has from the fanbase, he will need just a couple of good seasons to get that sort of power without having negative effects.