Solskjær press conference vs Chelsea (H)

jem

Im actually looking forward to the season ahead - we’ve won all our preseason games, we’ve got what looks like one of the best right back talents I’ve ever seen, we have a Centre back who can get his head on everything in either box and can actually pass and run with the ball and we are going to see just how promising Greenwood, Gomes, Chong and Garner really are.

ole won’t ‘spin’ it any way - he’ll do what any good manager would do and back his players.
Yeah, you're right of course. It's just hard to be rational after such a shit show of a transfer window.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The board had let him down big time. On the other hand if you've got a major rebuild and you're working with a limited budget then you don't spend 80m on someone whose not even WC. Oh well.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We will get the usual bs script, I'm happy with our squad.

OLE you are being used by these tossers in the board room.
I love Ole, almost unhealthily so, but if he utters this claptrap tomorrow...
Bring back Jose, he'll tell you how it is and you know how that works out :D

devilish

In my opinion he shouldn't criticise the squad however he should make it pretty obvious that he was let down. Something within the lines of "I am happy with the squad, we wished to have added more reinforcements to it but for god knows why we didn't" would be fine. Any questions asked on that regard should be sent back to Woodward.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Shouldn't even talk about transfers.

"Tried, didn't come off, that's life, I want to talk about the players I have here now"

Simple.

SecondFig

Jesus, the negativity on here. It wasn't the best transfer window, and I still want the Glazers and Woodward catapulted into the sun.

But, I also like all the players we've signed, and am glad that we didn't sign players like Dyabala or Coutinho who didn't really want to come and wouldn't have fit into the preferred tactics of Ole. If the lack of signings means that Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Chong et al get more game-time - then great. TO be honest, my only complaint is that I'd like to see Rojo and Darmian (and maybe Jones?) sold before the continental window closes.

devilish

Jesus, the negativity on here. It wasn't the best transfer window, and I still want the Glazers and Woodward catapulted into the sun.

But, I also like all the players we've signed, and am glad that we didn't sign players like Dyabala or Coutinho who didn't really want to come and wouldn't have fit into the preferred tactics of Ole. If the lack of signings means that Gomes, Greenwood, Garner, Chong et al get more game-time - then great. TO be honest, my only complaint is that I'd like to see Rojo and Darmian (and maybe Jones?) sold before the continental window closes.
That's the thing. I doubt we will be playing kids at all or at least to the amount we would want them to play. You see,kids usually needs consistency, experience and quality around them to excel. You don't just throw Chong against Chelsea and hope for the best. So the big risk is that these kids will vanish into the academy once more while Ole will rely on the Mata and Beans to sort things out. I know he said he will be playing kids but he also said something about survival of the fittest and replacing players being sold as well. Ole's word means nothing really.

devilish

"Tried, didn't come off, that's life, I want to talk about the players I have here now"

Simple.
that's even better to what I suggested. He should push any questions about transfers to Woodward while at it.

Sereques

Sometime in the morning. Will be an interesting watch. Should be confronted with comments he made last season ("some of these players won't be here next season"). What will he make of the lack of attacking reinforcements? Will he keep protecting the clowns in charge and take Fergie's "no value in the market" route?

You should know by now Solskjær will never go against board and Ed in public.

SecondFig

That's the thing. I doubt we will be playing kids at all or at least to the amount we would want them to play. You see,kids usually needs consistency, experience and quality around them to excel. You don't just throw Chong against Chelsea and hope for the best. So the big risk is that these kids will vanish into the academy once more while Ole will rely on the Mata and Beans to sort things out. I know he said he will be playing kids but he also said something about survival of the fittest and replacing players being sold as well. Ole's word means nothing really.
Do you not remember how Fergie used to blood kids? They weren't always carefully managed, they were chucked in when and where possible a lot of the time. Remember '94 against Galatasaray?

I'm not expecting Ole to start youngsters much at all, but I think that Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Chong and (to a lesser degree) Garner will be constantly around the first team. Training, travelling for away games, and making substitute appearances.

No, we're not going to win the league, but we never were - even if we'd signed Dybala, Fernandes, SMS and whoever else. With a bit of luck, we'll play decent football, get top-4, and maybe have a cup-run. And that's fine by me. Better that than the dire shite that LVG and Jose served up.

devilish

Do you not remember how Fergie used to blood kids? They weren't always carefully managed, they were chucked in when and where possible a lot of the time. Remember '94 against Galatasaray?

I'm not expecting Ole to start youngsters much at all, but I think that Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Chong and (to a lesser degree) Garner will be constantly around the first team. Training, travelling for away games, and making substitute appearances.

No, we're not going to win the league, but we never were - even if we'd signed Dybala, Fernandes, SMS and whoever else. With a bit of luck, we'll play decent football, get top-4, and maybe have a cup-run. And that's fine by me. Better that than the dire shite that LVG and Jose served up.
Oh Sir Alex managed the class of 92 magnificently. He first introduced Giggs who was surrounded by Ince & Keane at his side, Irwin at his back and then Cantona. Then he introduced Gaz who was surrounded with Dolly and Daisy at his side, Kanchelskis in front of him and Schmeichel at his back. Then Butt was introduced alongside Keane, a now more experience Giggs with Bruce and Pally at his back. Finally we had Scholes who was thrown in the deep end because of Cantona's suspension, then he vanished in reserves once the French man returned. Once Cantona retired, Sir Alex bought Sheringham and he moved Scholes in midfield because he didn't trusted him as experienced enough to work upfront. It took us up until we bought JSV to see Scholes returning upfront and by that time he was a fully fledged midfielder who couldn't adapt playing upfront ever again. Th only 'panic' introduction was Beckham. Despite already having Keane at his side, Gaz & Dolly and Daisy in defence, Sir Alex was reluctant to the move. He spent the entire summer courting Darren Anderton but the club failed to deliver. Who knows, maybe, keeping Beckham a bit longer in the reserves might have helped him reaching his popularity status at a more mature age ie at a time when he would actually had a backbone to keep his wife in check.

The current youths are younger then when Scholes, Becks and co were becoming regular players with us, they are less good then the class of 92, the squad is nowhere near as good as that squad + we've got someone who was out of depth at Cardiff rather then Sir Alex. We'll be asking way more from them then what we asked from Scholes, Giggs and co.

No one expected Rome to be built in one day. However if Rome was built two bricks every year then it wouldn't have been built at all. We needed 4 first teamers this year, one of which was due to the club letting a player walk on free, we only bought 2. How on earth is that even good enough?

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He doesn't have to go overboard but I would like him to at least acknowledge that it was a disappointing window even if he mitigates his assessment by saying that the market was difficult, players didn't want to come, clubs were asking too much etc., etc. He doesn't have to call the board out but I don't want him covering for them either. There has to be some recognition of failing to achieve their targets this season, whatever reasons there may be.

The main positive thing is all of the top 6 have tough starts and will take points off each other in the first 6-8 games. So Ole could still have a bit of a wobble and still be in the mix at the start of the season. I'm really praying that Sanchez will come good this season. Probably a bit much to ask now at this stage but you never know. Don't know why he gets so much hate.

But I just want us to beat Chelsea on Sunday. Even if it's a scrappy 1-0 I'll take it. Wolves away is going to be hard so we really need to hit the ground running.

slir32

Wonder if anyone will ask him about the top quality players that want to come to United you know the ones that would surprise us.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Simple.
Fully agree. We have what we have and should concentrate on that. I don't see any points in adding fuel to the fire and raising further doubts about the team.

Am one of the biggest critics of Woodward, but these things should be dealt behind a closed door, not in public while he is the manager of our club. And also find this recent digs at Ole a bit pathetic tbh, love to see what other people would do in his position. All that over a press conference which is something every manager just want to get out of the way as most journalists are there for the controversy stories.

prateik

There is only so much he can say.. Not sure what the fans expect..

If he complains too much, he'll get replaced by someone who doesnt.

The good thing is he made it clear he wanted the players he wanted and not just random picks to fill positions.
We arent stuck with another overpaid player who doesnt want to be here disrupting the squad.. We dont have a big money player who doesnt fit and needs to play simple because he was a big money signing.. We don't have any of that nonsense.

He has an idea of what he wants. Woody delivered probably 40% - 60% of what he wanted. Hold firm. Hopefully get someone in Jan.

In the mean time.. get rid of the junk we dont want..

Its a hard reset.. undoing 6 years of crap.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There is only so much he can say.. Not sure what the fans expect..

If he complains too much, he'll get replaced by someone who doesnt.

The good thing is he made it clear he wanted the players he wanted and not just random picks to fill positions.
We arent stuck with another overpaid player who doesnt want to be here disrupting the squad.. We dont have a big money player who doesnt fit and needs to play simple because he was a big money signing.. We don't have any of that nonsense.

He has an idea of what he wants. Woody delivered probably 40% - 60% of what he wanted. Hold firm. Hopefully get someone in Jan.

In the mean time.. get rid of the junk we dont want..

Its a hard reset.. undoing 6 years of crap.
You're talking sense mate. That doesn't work around here.

red4ever 79

Sometime in the morning. Will be an interesting watch. Should be confronted with comments he made last season ("some of these players won't be here next season"). What will he make of the lack of attacking reinforcements? Will he keep protecting the clowns in charge and take Fergie's "no value in the market" route?
Why will it be interesting? I gurantee it will go like this?

Question - So Ole how do you feel about the transfer window
Ole - Err yes I am happy with the players we brought in I think they will do well here
Question - You sold Lukaku on deadline day and failed to bring in a replacement. How do you plan for that
Ole - Err I am happy with the attackers we have, they will all contribute and we have some good youngsters coming through

Rinse, repeat and f8ck off

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Someone needs to point this out to Ole. :)
I keep seeing references to this, yet we can still sell players for three more weeks.....There are enough problems to focus on without glib remarks that might look pretty stupid in two weeks time.

Cheap point scoring against the manager is probably the least helpful and most juvenile thing anyone can do right now.

red4ever 79

I keep seeing references to this, yet we can still sell players for three more weeks.....There are enough problems to focus on without glib remarks that might look pretty stupid in two weeks time.

Cheap point scoring against the manager is probably the least helpful and most juvenile thing anyone can do right now.
That's the team that played that day along with subs that came on. So Lukaku aside from the below who do you think will be sold this window as Ole clearly said some of those players will not be here next season
De Gea
Lindelöf
Smalling
Jones (Young)
Dalot
Pogba
Matic
Fred (McTominay)
Rashford (Pereira)
Lukaku
Martial

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Thank Christ Mourinho isn't still the manager because this press conference would have been doom and gloom. Got to give it to Ole, he will be positive.

Cédric Sophie

Wow. I never thought that the Man United fanbase was that negative. We have not Officially played one second of Football and some have already given up on the team. I've always been proud of our fanbase but lately been a bit disappointed by some. Yes for now our best years are behind us but we should continue to support our team. We win together, We Lose Together!!! United we stand. United for life. Cheers guys

DRM

We're Man Utd
Rashy
We're Man Utd .

GBBQ

Someone needs to point this out to Ole. :)
Lukaku and Herrera are "players who won't be part of that". What he said is factually correct, even without the potential movers before the European window closes.

Kostov

In 2 weeks time, we won't bring in a midfielder or a striker. And it's yet to see who we are going to sell. Pointing out to something that was said and people remember isn't stupid, the only stupid thing is how blind some of the fans are. And it's not a cheap point against the manager, I'd rather Woodward holds a press conference and we ask him instead. I blame him mostly.

On the other hand, that line up against Everton consisted of Phil Jones at CB, Fred and Matic in midfield, Lukaku at ST. Young came on as a substitute. Out of those most probable for a transfer out, only Lukaku left, and I'd say he was the least of our problems from that group of players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That's the team that played that day along with subs that came on. So Lukaku aside from the below who do you think will be sold this window as Ole clearly said some of those players will not be here next season
De Gea
Lindelöf
Smalling
Jones (Young)
Dalot
Pogba
Matic
Fred (McTominay)
Rashford (Pereira)
Lukaku
Martial
People are losing their minds over this comment. This is what he actually said after the Everton game: "We have to stick together as a team. We can't change the whole squad but it's one step at a time. I'm going to be successful here and there are players there that won't be part of that successful team, but there are many of them that do have it."

Who did people actually expect to be sold from the names above this summer, (not that that's what he said) ?

Kostov

Lukaku and Herrera are "players who won't be part of that". What he said is factually correct, even without the potential movers before the European window closes.
If someone told you that Lukaku our best striker would be sold and not replaced, and Herrera our second best CM the same, would you have though that was the plan all along, and that it was a good idea? I would have never imagined that. If that was what he meant and planned, then feck me that is shambolic.

Reddy Rederson

"It was always gonna be a tough transfer window. Fortunately we've got some great experienced players in Youngy who captains the club by example and is a role model to some of the younger players like Rashy, Chongy, Jesse and Mason. If you're good enough you're old enough."

On a serious note I think we will end up surprising a few people this season. :wenger:
I just woke up and read this half asleep and thought it was an actual quote :lol: I actually got pissed off for a moment, “Jesse” being included in the younger players :lol:.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Some of the comments in here :houllier:

You’re a bunch of masochists.

Actually try waiting till we play a game maybe...