Solskjaer confirmed Maguire will be the new club captain

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm surprised by people judging that move one way or the other. We aren't in the group and don't know its dynamic, maybe Maguire is a good leader and maybe he isn't. Though I do have a couple of questions, was he a leader(captain) in his previous teams? And isn't it a bit weird to see a player with very little top level experience deemed to be captain material for United?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He’s a good choice and I thought this would happen the minute we signed him. He has a great attitude and from the outside he seems he will never be anything but loyal, honest and hard working. He will be Utd through and through while he has that armband.

Tarrou

Was either him or Rashford really, and I think he's the best choice.

cyril C

What is wrong with Mata? Club Captain doesn't has to start every game as evidence on Valencia and Young. So 6 more months for Maguire to bed in would have lessor controversy. During Mata's absence, Maguire would of course take the arm band.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The importance of captaincy is hugely overstated.
I disagree. A strong team with a strong captain is better. It may just be an armband but if the personnel is right, it can feel like more. Look back at some of our captains over the years. Some of Arsenals captains. They were real leaders.

I agree that they aren’t 100% necessary but if there is one person in the dressing room, on the field, in training and for the media that just stands that bit taller, speaks just that bit stronger and behaves just that bit differently then I believe giving them the captains role helps everyone.

jackal&hyde

I don't know, Jones has been here for longer, is English, knows the club. I guess Maguire will do.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I used to think this in the modern game, but choosing a player that the players respect could set a tone.

If you've experienced the wrong person being given responsibility before and how that affects a group I think it could have a similar effect.

kopviolator

I think it depends heavily on what sort of captain material you have. If you have a properly skilled player with a strong fighting element and sense of responsibiliyt then he can really help others around him in that role.

If you have a limp mediocre player which commands little respect from those aroun him then it doesn't help at all.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm surprised by people judging that move one way or the other. We aren't in the group and don't know its dynamic, maybe Maguire is a good leader and maybe he isn't. Though I do have a couple of questions, was he a leader(captain) in his previous teams? And isn't it a bit weird to see a player with very little top level experience deemed to be captain material for United?
As you say, we don't know the dynamics so it's really difficult to have an opinion on this. From the outside I struggle to see who else.

Siorac

I used to think this in the modern game, but choosing a player that the players respect could set a tone.

If you've experienced the wrong person being given responsibility before and how that affects a group I think it could have a similar effect.
Thing is, the captain has very little real responsibility. It's more a symbolic gesture than anything else.

Natural leaders will help everyone around them, galvanise a squad and be role models for younger players without a piece of cloth on their arm. Roy Keane would have been no less influential if the role of captain hadn't existed at all.

MrBest

Probably the best option we have. Rashford is not vocal enough, Harry is probably the most vocal in this shy young team plus he is 27 which makes him one of the eldest.

RedIan

Correct choice. Looks a leader and a big character in the dressing room, when he plays he is calming influence on others And we look far more solid with him at the heart of defence. . I really dont understand why some dont rate him. Forget the price tags thats footballs madness.. You dont notice half the work he does constantly heading crosses clear, tackling blocking tracking.... we missed him massively when he was out for that one a game...

Rashford is still a youngster not ready. Only other candidate is pogba who will be gone in summer.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Thing is, the captain has very little real responsibility. It's more a symbolic gesture than anything else.
This is it though. Making the right gesture could affect how people react. If it's someone the players didn't want they'll question it between themselves which sets a poor tone. If it's someone they did want it could boost morale.

Also empowers the captain, which I think is important in today's game where there are less clear leaders.

RUCK4444

He's the obvious candidate, not a single other player in the squad with a feckin' voice on the pitch never mind a bit of character. Stop moaning.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fine with this. Young was alright as a temporary solution after the absolute debacle that was Antonio “Too Shy” Valencia as club captain. Now that was a disgrace: a club captain who players openly lost faith in on the pitch as a passing outlet and someone who managed to neglect every duty the club captain has to the public. I maintain that Valencia being made captain was the biggest sign of rot at the club post Ferguson. Weak leadership will kill any successful team or organisation quickly.

Siorac

This is it though. Making the right gesture could affect how people react. If it's someone the players didn't want they'll question it between themselves which sets a poor tone. If it's someone they did want it could boost morale.

Also empowers the captain, which I think is important in today's game where there are less clear leaders.
So most of its significance basically comes from the appointment itself, not from anything he actually does.

Basically, just give it to someone whom the rest of the players consider to be a good choice; beyond that, it doesn't really matter. That is the single most important qualification.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So most of its significance basically comes from the appointment itself, not from anything he actually does.

Basically, just give it to someone whom the rest of the players consider to be a good choice; beyond that, it doesn't really matter. That is the single most important qualification.
If you want to be that cynical about it

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pretty much every Leicester fan that I saw said that he wasn't a leader and his reputation as one is unwarranted.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh look the super scouts are disagreeing with Ole again. Shocking.
Do you actually have a view on anything yourself? Or is it just a case of agreeing with everything the manager does and says no matter what and anyone who doesn’t gets to feel your wrath?

I mean, I’m mostly indifferent about this particular issue but in almost every thread your posts can effectively be reduced to this and calling anyone who thinks differently a cnut.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
When's the last time a player became our club captain this quickly after joining? Does anybody know? Just curious to see if it's happened before in the modern era.

Judas

Open to offers
Do you actually have a view on anything yourself? Or is it just a case of agreeing with everything the manager does and says no matter what and anyone who doesn’t gets to feel your wrath?

I mean, I’m mostly indifferent about this particular issue but in almost every thread your posts can effectively be reduced to this and calling anyone who thinks differently a cnut.
Far too many posters on here right now like this. No matter what the topic you know exactly what they're going to say, sticking to their particular script no matter what.