Solskjaer confirmed Maguire will be the new club captain

spiriticon

There is absolutely no outstanding candidates for captain in this team now, so I guess it's fine.

In a few years depending on their progress, Rashford, Williams or McT might be ready.

elánius

It does not really matter, but it is example of our lack of leaders. Maguire is definitely not the player I expected from him, but he is stable, he is experienced, he is not an injury prone and for now he is our number one choice for CB, co obvious choice.

I might have been de Gea and I believe Olé talked about it before he signed his contract, but who cares actually? Captain is not important role and he is better than Young or LAV.

Renegade

Bit concerned his won feck all, but not like we have many candidates.

Is the first captain we’ve ever had that’s never lifted a trophy?

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
What's he done to be club captain? I find it's very disrespectful to the other players who have been there longer and achieved more then Maguire. Don't find him a leader like some one say either but look that could change over the coming months and years.
It's this sort of thinking which led to Ashley Young becoming our captain as he didn't have the respect on the pitch or above it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
No other choice. But I would personally give it to Lingard so whatever He does will have twice the effect. 'ManUnited FANTASTIC Captain shouted beans beans beans' 'ManUnited Captain has 0 goal this season!' 'ManUnited CRAPtain needs to leave now! said redcafe posters'.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bit concerned his won feck all, but not like we have many candidates.

Is the first captain we’ve ever had that’s never lifted a trophy?
He has played his first actual European game this season. He is probably the greenest captain that we have ever had.

Nickelodeon

He is replacing Ashley Young. Not like we had incredible leadership standards.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Feels abit too soon for him personally, as I feel he is still not fully settled and still getting to know the club.

But it's the right decision for the squad, as he is the outstanding candidate.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sarcasm? If not, why? What has Pogba done to deserve it?
He has shown himself as a leader at the highest stage surrounded by charismatic players. He has also been in the club significantly more than Maguire. The only issue is, obviously, his commitment to the club.

Antoine Griezmann has talked up the impact that Manchester United’s Paul Pogba had on the France squad at the World Cup.

Although the midfielder has been subject to criticism since returning to his club side, he came of age for the national team at Russia 2018 and, according to his international team-mate, was a massive influence in the dressing room.

Pogba’s speech prior to the final against Croatia went viral, and the Atletico Madrid player, who scored in the 4-2 victory in Moscow, admitted that the former Juventus man was a real inspiration to those around him.

“Paul really took it up a notch in the locker room,” Griezmann admitted to L'Equipe. “He had the right words, which pushed us. Hugo Lloris, Raphael Varane and Blaise Matuidi, we know they were leaders, but Pogba surprised us more and made us feel good.”

JMack1234

Good decision.

We're not exactly flush with candidates for captain but from the very little amount I've seen I'd say that Maguire seems like on the better candidates out there.

Kostov

Maguire is one of the few that could fill in for the role. Williams looks like future captain material but it is too soon. Other than that we lack characters big time.

Sylar

Makes sense. He will also be a mainstay in the team (you would think) for 5+ years.

Jonno

People complaining about Maguire as our captain.

Let this sink in, Young was our captain and before that, Valencia was our captain. Even Carrick, before that was barely playing when he finally got the armband.

Maguire is the first peak and regular player to have the armband since Rooney.

Excellent choice, I think he will get better as we get better.

Machine Elements

He was basically chosen as the captain the moment we were after him for that money & when he set his foot at OT which is a bit of a disgrace to the club and the players. What he's proved as a leader to be selected as a captain? Even Lindelöf outclassed him so far this season and Leicester fans also admitted that he's no leader. We seem to be desperate to make this transfer and "British core" thing work.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
When's the last time a player became our club captain this quickly after joining? Does anybody know? Just curious to see if it's happened before in the modern era.
You might have to go back to Frank Barson in the late 1920's...but no player has joined the club since the late 1930's and been made club captain after 30 games (or half a season) on a permanent basis.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He has shown himself as a leader at the highest stage surrounded by charismatic players. He has also been in the club significantly more than Maguire. The only issue is, obviously, his commitment to the club.
Pogba may have been here in body but not in spirit.

Pogba may also have a magnetic character but he’s no leader, sorry. He’s not one to see you through the tough times. He’s a one man band.

K_Ash

Paul and his agent screwed up big; this would have been HUGE for Pogba's brand to be MANCHESTER UNITED captain...HUGE.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Do you actually have a view on anything yourself? Or is it just a case of agreeing with everything the manager does and says no matter what and anyone who doesn’t gets to feel your wrath?

I mean, I’m mostly indifferent about this particular issue but in almost every thread your posts can effectively be reduced to this and calling anyone who thinks differently a cnut.
So indifferent that you follow my posts to comment on them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’d rather Rashford
You'd put a 21/22 year old winger as captain!?
That is utterly bonkers.

He needs to totally focus on his own job, as well as arguably being the worst position on the pitch to captain from.

Robertd0803

Good. De Gea doesnt strike me as being captain material regardless of how long he is here. We will be lucky to see Pogba in a United jersey again (and certainly not next season) and Rashford can concentrate on scoring. Not many other options.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, whatever.

Dunno how much it means these days, for one thing. And we don't have a single standout candidate (going by past standards) anyway. So, why not. Or - who else?

Revan

Assumptionman
Dunno. He doesn't seem like a leader at all, and from not having captained his previous teams to becoming captain of United in 6 months seem a bit weird. Saying that, there hasn't been a standout choice with De Gea being shy, Pogba wanting to leave. I would have made Rashford though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Never like it when players become captain too quickly after joining. Should be a few years at the club before you get that honor IMO, regardless of personality.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Feels abit too soon for him personally, as I feel he is still not fully settled and still getting to know the club.

But it's the right decision for the squad, as he is the outstanding candidate.
Precisely this.

I hope it doesn't hinder him. I really don't think he's settled.

Member 113277

In the ideal world, you want a midfielder as captain, but the next best choice is probably a CB. Let's see if Harry works.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Paul and his agent screwed up big; this would have been HUGE for Pogba's brand to be MANCHESTER UNITED captain...HUGE.
Why? United are playing Europa League

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Good choice. It had to be either him or De Gea. I'll be Ole wanted to make him captain at the start of the season but knew he had to wait as he just got here.

RedDevil@84

Ridiculous. A club of our stature does not value seniority. Phil 'feckin' Jones has been dreaming about this since he was a kid :D :D