Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm sure it won't matter at all to Ajax fans if they get destroyed by Messi and possibly seeing PSV win their 4th league title in 5 years because................. progress.
Or because they didn't think they would win the UCL anyway. Same way Liverpool fans also won nothing last season and were perfectly happy with their progress and likely will be disappointed not the win the title this year if they don't but still be happy with their season well because... progress.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Smalling is maybe OK as the 3rd or 4th cb but we cannot have the cb pairing of him and Lindelof and expect to be in the Top 4. Plus we simply cannot keep that Jones / Smalling tandem any longer, it has gone on for far too long now.

Mata done OK today but his legs have completely gone now, and he was no means ever quick. We have to move on from the old overpaid galáctico players, and Mata signing a new deal for an even bigger salary isn't an encouraging sign. By all means though, if we lose Herrera and manage by some miracle to sell Lingard and Martial then I'd be happy for him to stay as cover. But he shouldn't be starting many games for a top team now.
I don’t think he would but you still need players with experience and intelligent enough to see through the next phase.

By all means get rid of the bad eggs and poor quality but not all the players in one season

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm already checking out of next season if we don't recruit in the summer. I can't take it, I've left relationships that weren't this abusive.
I've signed up my season ticket again. 7th year.... talk about picking the worst 6 years in decades :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good for you

At least I can borrow one. Gave mine to my son years ago
It only works for me with a network of pals to share it around. Live too far away to go to all the games - maybe that's why I can keep renewing!

I'm a little naughtily excited at the prospect of my league 1 team having sat games up north now, and United playing Sundays - double header! It has only worked about once in the prevo years!

Sweet Square

Or because they didn't think they would win the UCL anyway. Same way Liverpool fans also won nothing last season and were perfectly happy with their progress and likely will be disappointed not the win the title this year if they don't but still be happy with their season well because... progress.
What about the Eredivisie ?

I honest don't get how the people on here who lose their minds every time United lose can look at the Ajax system and think ok I'll take 5 years trophy less seasons for the chance of maybe wining the CL and the league(Maybe they were just too lazy to use google).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm just relieved I was lucky enough to have one when we had peak Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez etc :D
Yeah back then I only got in via viagogo.
Or the one time I turned up for the 2-0 derby with Ronaldo scoring without a ticket, dealing with touts!

I note they're more obvious now then ever, walking in the other game, there were at least 5 or 6 on the go.

Cassidy

What about the Eredivisie ?

I honest don't get how the people on here who lose their minds every time United lose can look at the Ajax system and think ok I'll take 5 years trophy less seasons for the chance of maybe wining the CL and the league(Maybe they were just too lazy to use google).
For one I'm not one of them, and two if we were to make progress in a 3 years and be in a UCL semi and be in with winning the title up to the last few weeks of the season I'll be happy.

You seem like one of those who would call Pep a failure for not winning a UCL with Bayern or City

Sweet Square

For one I'm not one of them, and 2 if we were to make progress in a 3 years and be in a UCL semi and be in with winning the title up to the last few weeks of the season I'll be happy
Can there more people like this.

You seem like one of those who would call Pep a failure for not winning a UCL with Bayern or City
:lol:

I think its more about Pep teams getting destroyed in the semi/quarter finals than failing to win the trophy with City and Bayern.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Can there more people like this.

:lol:

I think its more about Pep teams getting destroyed in the semi/quarter finals than failing to win the trophy with City and Bayern.
So you think hes a failure...
Anyway going off topic. I get where you're at now and why you have that view

Irwin99

We're going to be disappointed by the amount of players leaving aren't we?! Jones, Rojo, Young etc will all be here next year.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We're going to be disappointed by the amount of players leaving aren't we?! Jones, Rojo, Young etc will all be here next year.
Yup

And also disappointed by the incoming I feel

After today it’s clear to a blind man that we need a serious injection of goals from somewhere. Will we even try and get a striker?

0le

I'm not even convinced we will sign anyone to be honest.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problem with this squad isn't only because its shite but also because its complacent. We need a major clearout here.

GK department - Give DDG a week to decide on his new contract. If he wants out then we have to let him go. Courtois could be a decent punt in a swap deal with David.

DR: With Valencia gone, we need a RB. I'd say we go for Meunier who shouldn't cost an arm to get him. Dalot would be his cover -

DC: I'd sell Jones, Rojo and Bailly as none of them are good enough for us. Toby would cost us 25m while we should break the bank for De Ligt or Skriniar. Tuanzebe should be promoted to act as cover/competition alongside Lindelof and Smalling.

LW- We should get our hands on Tierney. He'll be a good cover/competition for Shaw

DM- Matic is decent enough but he'll need to be rested more next season. Doucouré for 40m would do the trick

MC- I'd say lets hold on to Herrera and bring in Tonali as cover. Herrera, Mctominay and Tonali should do the trick. Fred can be sold off for 30m

AMC- If Pogba wants to leave then we should let him go. Lets get 140m out of the deal though. I'd sell Pereira as well. Bruno Fernandes is a decent player to replace him with Brandt acting as cover/competition.

RW- Mata should be allowed to leave. We should get Jadon. Lingard and Chong would be his cover.

LW- Martial should be sold. I'd take Bergwijn with Welbeck MK2 acting as cover

STK- I don't mind us swapping Lukaku with Icardi. I would also put a cheeky 20m bid for Kean whose heading at the end of his contract.

IN - 460m

Meunier - 25m
Toby - 25m
Skriniar/De Ligt - 100m
Tierney - 30m
Doucoure - 40m
Tonali - 20m
Jadon - 100m
Bruno Fernandes - 50m
Bergwijn - 40m
Icardi (swap)
Kean - 30m

OUT - 295m

Rojo - 20m
Jones - 25m
Bailly - 20m
Fred - 30m
Periera - 20m
Pogba - 140m
Martial - 40m
Lukaku (swap)
Darmian - free
Mata - free
Sanchez - free

----------------DDG------------
Meunier---Toby---De Ligt-------Tierney

-------------Doucoure--------------

--------Herrera------Fernandes-----

Jadon----------------------------Bergwijn

--------------Icardi---------------------

Irwin99

Yup

And also disappointed by the incoming I feel

After today it’s clear to a blind man that we need a serious injection of goals from somewhere. Will we even try and get a striker?
I'm not sure we will even get that. I think Ole has marked Rashford for his number 1 centre forward, and I think Lukaku might be talked into staying simply because we need the numbers. Martial is the only one i think that could leave, and that's only if someone actually wants him and wants to pay his wages. I expect Lingard will still be here. Right winger seems to be the priority, not a striker. I'd argue both need major surgery.

I just can't see a massive clear out in one summer window that everyone here wants and the fact is, we'll still have Jones, Smalling and Young (rightly or wrongly) getting on the nerves of fans next year. The posters seem unrealistic saying 10 in and 10 out.

These are the players that allegedly want out or are stalling on new contracts;
Pogba
De Gea
Mata
Herrera
Darmian

Potentially 5 gone right there. It's asking a lot in hoping the following also leave; Rojo, Jones, Young, Lingard, Lukaku, Bailly, Sanchez, Periera, Smalling.

Fer

Alderweireld and Meunier would improve our defense, and they won't cost too much.

It seems that Pogba is on his way out so Fernandes would be a decent replacement, plus we would have the money to spend in a couple of midfielders like Van de Beek, Tielemans, Neves, Barella, Ndombele, Rice, Ndidi, Doucoure, etc. We should get at least 2 of them considering Herrera will leave and Matic should not start.

For the right wing, Sancho is the dream but I would be okay with Pepe and another attacker like Felix/Dybala (as replacement of Sanchez). Finally, Icardi in a swap deal with Lukaku if he doesn't want to continue.

If we need to build a new midfield of 3, who would you buy?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
We don't need to sign WC players, we just need a structure and a style of play. How many WC players do Ajax have and look how well they're doing.
You're right obviously, but you still need players that can excel in that system itself. Cause in terms of close-control and passing, quite a few Ajax players are world class for their positions.

I'd argue that in those two traits, key to how we play, Onana, De Ligt, Blind, Mazraoui, De Jong, Ziyech, Tadic are all as good as it gets. And Vd Beek, Neres, and Dolberg aren't far off. Schöne is decent, but as expected from a central midfielder of his ilk, and Tagliafico while an above average passer is a weak link in that regard.

In terms of their other facets, obviously many of those are not world class. De Ligt and De Jong definitely are, and you could argue that Ziyech and Tadic on their day come close, oh and Onana. Vd Beek, Blind and Tagliafico, and then Neres are again a bit below that

Roboc7

Is anyone actually expecting big changes will actually happen?. It’s going to be few in few out and largely the same team.

I keep seeing Alderweireld mentioned but is he that desperate for a pay day to come here?. We need players coming here on the way up not for a payday.

Hoof the ball

Remember that thread that instructed us to "buy the next Messi?"

Well, we can't do that, yet, but what we can do is buy the next Ronaldo. Quite literally the next Ronaldo.

youmeletsfly

Remember that thread that instructed us to "buy the next Messi?"

Well, we can't do that, yet, but what we can do is buy the next Ronaldo. Quite literally the next Ronaldo.

So Ronaldo would get to come here and feck off to Madrid twice? Hmmm

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Lower your expectations for the summer. Im certain We arent going to be doing anything exciting.

Might sign 1 or 2 bang average players but nothing special.

Champagne Football

Ship out the deadwood and cash hungry gluttons and go for this.

Butland
Tuanzebe Godfrey Lindelof Tierney
Rice Tielemans
Bergwijn Bruno Rashford
Dembele​

Cassidy

Butland
Rice Tielemans
Bergwijn Bruno Rashford
Dembele
Dembele isn't good enough, if we're serious we'll go for Jovic.
Also Tuanzebe is a CB and a better one than Godfrey as well

Roboc7

Butland
Rice Tielemans
Bergwijn Bruno Rashford
Dembele​
No way will we buy seven players this summer, we could and should be won’t.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
We don't need to sign WC players, we just need a structure and a style of play. How many WC players do Ajax have and look how well they're doing.
I'm just as thrilled as everyone else about Ajax, but what they're doing right now is an anomaly in European football. They've had a lot of luck and great timing with several huge talents coming through at the same time added with the right mix of experienced players, so I don't think they are a very good example of how a club can become successful just as long as they get their structure and style of play to work. You will also need an exeptionally talented team and unfortunately that's the hardest part.

There's a reason why pretty much every single CL and PL winner bar one or two always have had one of the top 3-ish squads in Europe/England and teams like Ajax show up once a decade.

Cassidy

Oh yeah we'll easily get Jovic. We might as well go for Neymar and Mbappe too while we're at it.
Who said easily? We should go for him and try and convince him he can be a starter at United rather than sit on the bench elsewhere, we can also offer him great wages and a top profile in on of the biggest leagues in football.
And how are you putting Jovic in the same bracket as Neymar/Mbappe. He plays for Frankfurt.... maybe we should just not try and sign good players and sign Europa League level players like Dembele instead ey, thats our level after all.

Fact is Dembele isn't good enough, he isn't an upgrade on Lukaku, and isn't even the best striker at his club now so why the feck should we waste any money on him.