Ole

Appointed
18/19 (Mar 28, 2019)
Points per match

David

Appointed
13/14 (Jul 1, 2013)
Points per match

Is anyone surprised about the above points per game stat? Considering Moyes's tenure is ridiculed and seen as the lowest point at the club in decades.

Ole's points per game won has been much lower. The current squad is clearly being changed to have a younger average age but I feel it shows how our standards and expectations have fallen over the years to not be anywhere near as critical of Ole when his record since being made permanent manager has been far worse.

Discuss....

Full stats including Oles caretaker period included below for the cry babys on here who can't accept that Oles stats are worse that Moyes's

Moyes P51 W27 D9 L15 - F86 A52 GD +34

52.94 win rate

29.41 loss rate

Ole P33 W17 D5 L10 - F54 A40 GD + 14

51.51 win rate

30.30 loss rate

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Moyes inherited a title winning squad which is important to note.

Caesar2290

Also, you conveniently left out the form that got him appointed in the first place.
Add 10 more wins and then redo your total.

Doesn’t suit your agenda, does it?

Reactions: langster

always_hoping

I'd like to see where Moyes would have left United if he took over a side that was a full 11 points off 4th. I'd say relegated.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
On top of the above it's also an unfair comparison anyway since you're only counting the games since Ole got the job permanently. He was manager for over 3 full months before that and won nearly every game, which I suspect would make the stats look a bit different.

Crustanoid

Idiotic thread with massively contrived stats and no attention to underlying context

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What is this fake news bollocks :lol:

Ole is shite but this is some fox news mumbo jumbo.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hope this is just a rubbish attempt at a troll thread. If not then OP's genuinely worse than Trump.

MrSingh2002

What is this fake news bollocks :lol:

Ole is shite but this is some fox news mumbo jumbo.
Except it's facts with no Rafa in sight. Stats don't lie in this case. Moyes had a better squad no doubt. But Ole made his decisions this summer not to strengthen in midfield or replace Lukaku. He's contributed to not having a strong squad today.

kr1s74

Surely this should read as games since 19th December 2018, as he was manager then.
Think that would up the percentage a tad

Last edited:

witchtrials

Stats don't lie in this case.
Well they do because Solskjaer has been managing the team since December, so only factoring in games since 28th March is misleading.

Include those three months and your stat becomes vaguely meaningful.

Jackal

Ole

Appointed
18/19 (Mar 28, 2019)
Points per match

David

Appointed
13/14 (Jul 1, 2013)
Points per match

Is anyone surprised about the above points per game stat? Considering Moyes's tenure is ridiculed and seen as the lowest point at the club in decades.

Ole's points per game won has been much lower. The current squad is clearly being changed to have a younger average age but I feel it shows how our standards and expectations have fallen over the years to not be anywhere near as critical of Ole when his record since being made permanent manager has been far worse.

Discuss....
Jesus Wept..........

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Moyes took over a title winning squad that needed to be rebuilt. Ole took over a second place team that needed to be rebuilt. There is not too much difference to be honest. The competition in the premier league now is tougher though. So Ole gets some leeway with that regard. Both are doing a bad job. Moyes didn’t get to spend £150m in a summer though and he had aging players.

I believe Mourine on full time devil predicted the failure of Moyes. And she also stated that Ole will fail as well. We will just have to wait and see if she is right.

She sounds intelligent. Got it spot on when she said we should have hired Pochettino.

Raven96__

Supports
Real Madrid
Moyes is a better football manager than Ole, more experienced too.

Change my mind.

MrSingh2002

Also, you conveniently left out the form that got him appointed in the first place.
Add 10 more wins and then redo your total.

Doesn’t suit your agenda, does it?
I could also post about the great job Moyes did at Everton. What matters is what they've done as permanent Man Utd manager surely?

Enigma_87

You know who
Moyes took over a title winning squad that needed to be rebuilt. Ole took over a second place team that needed to be rebuilt. There is not too much difference to be honest. The competition in the premier league now is tougher though. So Ole gets some leeway with that regard. Both are doing a bad job. Moyes didn’t get to spend £150m in a summer though and he had aging players.

I believe Mourine on full time devil predicted the failure of Moyes. And she also stated that Ole will fail as well. We will just have to wait and see if she is right.

She sounds intelligent. Got it spot on when she said we should have hired Pochettino.
:lol: Love the perseverance.

Champagne Football

Ole - 3 signings that so far look successful
David - 2 signings, both unsuccessful

Ole - I enjoy watching Utd play again
David - I could never enjoy it

Ole - Brought back Phelan
Moyes - Ditched Phelan

Ole - promoting youth (Greenwood, James, McTominay)
Moyes - spectacularly wrong in his assessment that Januzaj was a star in the making and Zaha would be a dud

Sterling Archer

Moyes inherited a title winning squad which is important to note.
Ole inherited one that came in second to the greatest side ever seen in English football.

Their starting points aren't as far off as we want to force ourselves to believe.

stevoc

I could also post about the great job Moyes did at Everton. What matters is what they've done as permanent Man Utd manager surely?
When you post shit like that you really need to take a step back and consider if you are talking some absolute shit, honestly mate wise up.

Games Moyes won at Everton are irrelevant when comparing his record as a United manager. On the other hand wins thats Solskjaer had as the manager of United are very fecking relevant when evaluating his record as the manager of fecking Manchester United.

Christ on a bike this place is getting worse.

Amadaeus

When you post shit like that you really need to take a step back and consider if you are talking some absolute shit, honestly mate wise up.

Games Moyes won at Everton are irrelevant when comparing his record as a United manager. On the other hand wins thats Solskjaer had as the manager of United are very fecking relevant when evaluating his record as the manager of fecking Manchester United.

Christ on a bike this place is getting worse.
Ole wins during the infamous honeymoon period was almost instantaneously when he got appointed as caretaker. Would you really give credit to that to Ole? He barely had anytime to implement his philosophy. Carrick and McKenna must have been more influential on the way we played then. If Ole was able to get so many wins during the honeymoon period, why can’t he motivate those same players to perform for him again? He has a much better team now then then, so there is no excuse.

stevoc

Moyes took over a title winning squad that needed to be rebuilt. Ole took over a second place team that needed to be rebuilt. There is not too much difference to be honest.
Ole inherited one that came in second to the greatest side ever seen in English football.

Their starting points aren't as far off as we want to force ourselves to believe.
Moyes took over a side that had just won the title by 11 points, a squad that had racked up 89 points two seasons in a row, had won 3 of the previous 5 titles and had never finished lower than 2nd.

Solskjaer took over a side that was languishing in 6th 20 points off the top, and a squad that had finished 2nd, 6th, 5th, 4th and 7th while never amassing more than 81 points (once) while averaging 65-70 points a season over those 5 years.

So yes lads theres a difference, a fecking huge one.

In Rainbows

Ole - 3 signings that so far look successful
David - 2 signings, both unsuccessful

Ole - I enjoy watching Utd play again
David - I could never enjoy it

Ole - Brought back Phelan
Moyes - Ditched Phelan

Ole - promoting youth (Greenwood, James, McTominay)
Moyes - spectacularly wrong in his assessment that Januzaj was a star in the making and Zaha would be a dud
James isn't a youth player, and Januzaj was good in his first season here. And that's beside the point, you changed the criteria depending on the manager. For Ole it's only about playing youngsters and with Moyes it's about getting the assessment right, not playing them.

And I don't care about Phelan.

Bad points.

Otherwise I disagree with the OP. It's ridiculous to leave off Ole's previous results out of this comparison. It's an agenda filled post.

Eriku

What?

Who in our squad are standard bearers like Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney or Van Persie?

stevoc

Ole wins during the infamous honeymoon period was almost instantaneously when he got appointed as caretaker. Would you really give credit to that to Ole? He barely had anytime to implement his philosophy. Carrick and McKenna must have been more influential on the way we played then. If Ole was able to get so many wins during the honeymoon period, why can’t he motivate those same players to perform for him again? He has a much better team now then then, so there is no excuse.
I couldn't give a flying feck who gets the credit for it. But if someone is going to compare two managers records while managing the same team then its disingenuous to arbitrarily cut off one of the managers best periods for no reason.

Also by that logic the first 3-4 months of Moyes tenure should be excluded as well then, he was managing Fergies team and in those first few months we weren't that bad. Once Moyes training and philosophy kicked in after Xmas the teams form fell off a cliff.

Crashoutcassius

so whats the correct amount of games to ignore when a manager takes over?

SteveW

Idiotic thread. Moyes took over a team who'd just walked the league. Cop the feck on.

Andy Parker

Supports
Siena
I do not generally like these comparison threads. Ole Will need a lot of time on the training pitch and several transfer windows to get things right. All I know is he has the club in his veins and will give it all he’s got, and as supporters it is our duty to give him 110% backing through thick and thin

SteveW

Jesus he actually just started it from March. Agenda much?

Red_toad

Ole

Appointed
18/19 (Mar 28, 2019)
Points per match

David

Appointed
13/14 (Jul 1, 2013)
Points per match

Discuss....
I'm pretty sure Ole would have done far better with that squad. A manager can only manage what's his his disposal, champions to out of champions league is how Moyes performed.

Amadaeus

Moyes took over a side that had just won the title by 11 points, a squad that had racked up 89 points two seasons in a row, had won 3 of the previous 5 titles and had never finished lower than 2nd.

Solskjaer took over a side that was languishing in 6th 20 points off the top, and a squad that had finished 2nd, 6th, 5th, 4th and 7th while never amassing more than 81 points (once) while averaging 65-70 points a season over those 5 years.

So yes lads theres a difference, a fecking huge one.
You have to admit. Any United fans that saw that team knew that Ferguson pulled of a highly improbable event in that last season. The players wanted one last victory for SAF. That same team was always going to struggle next season. We had players who needed replacement because they were aging and underperforming. Moyes made a mistake when he kept a lot of those players on. These players were no longer in their prime.

Ole on the other hand, had a team that just needed better coaching. In particular, a manager that played attacking football. Most of the players downed tools in Mourinho last season. It was not a case that they were poor players as showcased during the honeymoon period. But rather unmotivated and poorly coached. The team ole inherit were much more dynamic, agile, and refined than the aging squad Moyes inherited.

I couldn't give a flying feck who gets the credit for it. But if someone is going to compare two managers records while managing the same team then its disingenuous to arbitrarily cut off one of the managers best periods for no reason.

Also by that logic the first 3-4 months of Moyes tenure should be excluded as well then, he was managing Fergies team and in those first few months we weren't that bad. Once Moyes training and philosophy kicked in after Xmas the teams form fell off a cliff.
Moyes had a preseason before his appointment. Ole was appointed mid season without a preseason to assess his squad. I m not trying to defend neither Ole or Moyes philosophy. I believe both their training regimens are the reason why we are/were poor.

so whats the correct amount of games to ignore when a manager takes over?
I m not sure there is a specific number for that. However, it is ridiculous to judge a manager few months into his appointment. Especially if the manager has a different philosophy that the players are not used to.

Crashoutcassius

You have to admit. Any United fans that saw that team knew that Ferguson pulled of a highly improbable event in that last season. The players wanted one last victory for SAF. That same team was always going to struggle next season. We had players who needed replacement because they were aging and underperforming. Moyes made a mistake when he kept a lot of those players on. These players were no longer in their prime.

Ole on the other hand, had a team that just needed better coaching. In particular, a manager that played attacking football. Most of the players downed tools in Mourinho last season. It was not a case that they were poor players as showcased during the honeymoon period. But rather unmotivated and poorly coached. The team ole inherit were much more dynamic, agile, and refined than the aging squad Moyes inherited.

Moyes had a preseason before his appointment. Ole was appointed mid season without a preseason to assess his squad. I m not trying to defend neither Ole or Moyes philosophy. I believe both their training regimens are the reason why we are/were poor.

I m not sure there is a specific number for that. However, it is ridiculous to judge a manager few months into his appointment. Especially if the manager has a different philosophy that the players are not used to.
maybe lets start judging him starting this season. why is the point to start judging him coincidentally the point that makes the stats worst?

stevoc

Mate we can spin it any way we like but Moyes took over a much better team/squad than Solskjaer did. It also wasn't a highly improbable achievement it was a good squad with bags of title winning experience. Fergie was a genius not a magician. That squad had more top talent, more winning experience, was deeper in terms of strength in depth and more balanced than the current squad.

Was the 2013 squad perfect no far from it, did it need surgery to replace aging first teamers definitely but the basis was there to build another good side capable of winning the title with 3-4 key signings. On the other hand Ole was looking at needing 7-8 key signings just to finish top 3-4 regularly never mind the title when he took over. He's got 3 in and so far they look good, but we're still looking a long way away from the level we want to be and where the 2008-2013 squad operated.