Solskjaer vs Moyes Performance

John Blund

I've never seen an Everton game, with Moyes managing Everton, and wished that United played like Everton.

Foxbatt

No way. But to put a different spin on this I feel Moyes would have managed the current squad better than Ole is doing.

Sterling Archer

Moyes took over a side that had just won the title by 11 points, a squad that had racked up 89 points two seasons in a row, had won 3 of the previous 5 titles and had never finished lower than 2nd.

Solskjaer took over a side that was languishing in 6th 20 points off the top, and a squad that had finished 2nd, 6th, 5th, 4th and 7th while never amassing more than 81 points (once) while averaging 65-70 points a season over those 5 years.

So yes lads theres a difference, a fecking huge one.
So you must also believe Jose Mourinho achieved a remarkable feat with the squad, and should have been backed that summer?

Amerifan

Moyes took over a side that had just won the title by 11 points, a squad that had racked up 89 points two seasons in a row, had won 3 of the previous 5 titles and had never finished lower than 2nd.

Solskjaer took over a side that was languishing in 6th 20 points off the top, and a squad that had finished 2nd, 6th, 5th, 4th and 7th while never amassing more than 81 points (once) while averaging 65-70 points a season over those 5 years.

So yes lads theres a difference, a fecking huge one.
/end thread

Foxbatt

We should not close these kinds of threads during these very difficult and trying times. It keeps the spirits up for sure as we can discuss these things without going into a meltdown.

minh_loc_xoay

Ole

Appointed
18/19 (Mar 28, 2019)
Points per match

David

Appointed
13/14 (Jul 1, 2013)
Points per match

Is anyone surprised about the above points per game stat? Considering Moyes's tenure is ridiculed and seen as the lowest point at the club in decades.

Ole's points per game won has been much lower. The current squad is clearly being changed to have a younger average age but I feel it shows how our standards and expectations have fallen over the years to not be anywhere near as critical of Ole when his record since being made permanent manager has been far worse.

Discuss....
Despite the doom and gloom looming above us, I got genuine laugh out of this thread. Kudos to the OP! :D

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Posters like the OP are why the football forums are turning to shit. There's no semblance of a balanced argument

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole inherited one that came in second to the greatest side ever seen in English football.

Their starting points aren't as far off as we want to force ourselves to believe.
Ole had a much poorer squad imo.

Siorac

What?

Who in our squad are standard bearers like Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney or Van Persie?
Lingard has as many goals and assists in 2019 as all of them combined! What do you say to that, naysayer?

CM

Ole - 3 signings that so far look successful
David - 2 signings, both unsuccessful

Ole - I enjoy watching Utd play again
David - I could never enjoy it

Ole - Brought back Phelan
Moyes - Ditched Phelan

Ole - promoting youth (Greenwood, James, McTominay)
Moyes - spectacularly wrong in his assessment that Januzaj was a star in the making and Zaha would be a dud
I'm no fan of David Moyes but you can't really knock him for Januzaj. He was one of very few positives for us that season and Moyes was the only manager who got a half decent tune out of him.
Ole inherited one that came in second to the greatest side ever seen in English football.

Their starting points aren't as far off as we want to force ourselves to believe.
This is disingenuous. Solskjaer took over once we had already been run into the ground by Mourinho and were firmly midtable. Liverpool were playing better football than us despite finishing below us the previous season too.

Shark

@NotShark
Moyes inherited a title winning squad which is important to note.
In fairness, he inherited RVP, who’s injuries started building up again. That squad simply wasn’t up to scratch no matter who was taking over. Of course the transfer summer window was dreadful, along with Moyes being a clueless dithering fool. But let’s not pretend he took over a team of galacticos.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In fairness, he inherited RVP, who’s injuries started building up again. That squad simply wasn’t up to scratch no matter who was taking over. Of course the transfer summer window was dreadful, along with Moyes being a clueless dithering fool. But let’s not pretend he took over a team of galacticos.
No one is saying that. You don't need to be close to galacticos to have a better squad than what Ole had. 2 30+ year old backs, no right winger, no centre backs on a patch of what even an old Vidic or Rio were capable of, etc. Plus the league was still a bit easier then than now - Palace, Everton, Leicester, Wolves etc werent as strong teams as today.

You an say Ole walked into a better midfield, but it's still a midfield miles behind his peers.

dove

Moyes is a better manager than Ole. Everyone knows it, not much to discuss.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Exactly. Ole’s job is much different, he’s having to rebuild for starters. And trying to shift the dead wood out.
Not without blame though. He's made a real hash of midfield and attack.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Not without blame though. He's made a real hash of midfield and attack.
Well hopefully the next couple of transfer windows it will be sorted. It seems that youth is going to be given a fair crack at the whip. But it seems this season is done already.

stevoc

So you must also believe Jose Mourinho achieved a remarkable feat with the squad, and should have been backed that summer?
No not really.

And after signing Matic and Sanchez and their subsequent form and then wanting players like Willian, Perisic, Boateng etc. the club were right to be hesitant about allowing Jose to stockpile more 30 something players on huge wages.

Dinho

No doubt that Ole is already under a whole lot of pressure, but he needs time. Problem is, we have a few key players that don't have time: Pogba and De Gea. Now in their prime, they can't wait for United to "get good again" and that is showing on the pitch resulting in poor performances and points dropped. You don't see that lack of intent in either City or Liverpool from their key players.

Also, other players that are key to our success: Martial, Rashford, Maguire, are still new and/or inconsistent in their performances. They are not players that we can rely on to grab us 3 points every game, like a Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy or Van Persie.

Ole's squad is lacking so much, and a lot of it could have been fixed this summer. However, the willingness to invest enough from the owners are not there anymore. In my eyes it's all about stabilising the ship, quick fixes, managing expenses and coming top 4 again.

Who knows, with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all looking unbalanced this season.. we might be lucky?

Smores

This is disingenuous. Solskjaer took over once we had already been run into the ground by Mourinho and were firmly midtable. Liverpool were playing better football than us despite finishing below us the previous season too.
The squad he took over finished 2nd the previous season. It wasn't decimated it was just in terrible form and demotivated. Which is why when Ole took over it proved itself capable of good form. It's Ole that has taken that in form team he had as interim and made it shit. But it's just fitness right?!?

There's really weird logic in this thread that 2nd place was shit, that we should count the initial great form Ole had us in but at the same time we shouldn't now expect 2nd or even the form Ole had us in initially. If anyone had created a thread during that good run as interim last season saying Ole will have us 6th next season you'd have the same people who want to lock this thread outraged, now they'll have you believe it's acceptable and they've always believed it to be likely and acceptable.

minh_loc_xoay

There's really weird logic in this thread that 2nd place was shit, that we should count the initial great form Ole had us in but at the same time we shouldn't now expect 2nd or even the form Ole had us in initially. If anyone had created a thread during that good run as interim last season saying Ole will have us 6th next season you'd have the same people who want to lock this thread outraged, now they'll have you believe it's acceptable and they've always believed it to be likely and acceptable.
Have a feeling you hit some real bulls-eye there. Sometimes I feel we United fans really deserve the current dreadful situation...

Kostov

No not really.

And after signing Matic and Sanchez and their subsequent form and then wanting players like Willian, Perisic, Boateng etc. the club were right to be hesitant about allowing Jose to stockpile more 30 something players on huge wages.
The club have barely done a few things right in the last 6 years, how they handled Jose Mourinho is not one of them. Mourinho fecked up numerous things and he can never be absolved for his part of the blame. The real feck up came from Woodward, as per constant in the last 6 years.

Expectations do not look to be the same regarding Ole imo also. One thing he has done well, is that he has identified and approved for good additions with proper Manchester United profile players in Maguire, AWB and James. On the results and his general team selections and in game management, he has made some Moyes esque decisions, and people are rightly frustrated., therefor comparing him to his win rate, which frankly looks awful.

stevoc

The club have barely done a few things right in the last 6 years, how they handled Jose Mourinho is not one of them. Mourinho fecked up numerous things and he can never be absolved for his part of the blame. The real feck up came from Woodward, as per constant in the last 6 years.

Expectations do not look to be the same regarding Ole imo also. One thing he has done well, is that he has identified and approved for good additions with proper Manchester United profile players in Maguire, AWB and James. On the results and his general team selections and in game management, he has made some Moyes esque decisions, and people are rightly frustrated., therefor comparing him to his win rate, which frankly looks awful.
In general perhaps but on the 2018 transfer window i'm not so sure, in hindsight its a good thing we didn't spend huge fees/wages on players the wrong side of 30 like Willian, Boateng and Perisic. Would have made the current rebuilding process more difficult trying to shift them on.

NJM78

Fair summary below for anyone that cares?

Moyes P51 W27 D9 L15 - F86 A52 GD +34

52.94 win rate

29.41 loss rate

Ole P33 W17 D5 L10 - F54 A40 GD + 14

51.51 win rate

30.30 loss rate

for my moneys worth Moyes was terrible but unfortunately I have a feeling Ole will be not much better by the seasons end.

ArjenIsM3

52.94 win rate

29.41 loss rate

51.51 win rate

30.30 loss rate

for my moneys worth Moyes was terrible but unfortunately I have a feeling Ole will be not much better by the seasons end.
This should have been the OP.

One thing though, Moyes inherited a better squad and served up shite footy. Ole isn't getting the results (yet), but at least the footy is better and his recruitment has been far superior. If we keep Ole in charge for at least another year I have faith he will leave his successor a good squad unlike Moyes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well hopefully the next couple of transfer windows it will be sorted. It seems that youth is going to be given a fair crack at the whip. But it seems this season is done already.
But he shouldn't have a couple of windows for that. He should have us in top 4 this season, its not an unrealistic requirement. He could have at least looked at some cheaper alternatives that can push the side massively and be part of a long term plan.. Or bring on experience on a shorter deal with the wages he's freed up.

For example I am a fan of Hirving Lozano, and having his pace on one flank with Dan James on the other would have been tremendous. He wouldn't have commanded a silly fee or silly wages and he's at the age to start making a step up at 24. In the end he went to Napoli and will undoubtedly be a hit.

Or perhaps we can look at Bruno, who will also likely be a very good player when he moves on. He looks far better as a 10 than Pereira does. Or how about a striker option - Ben Yedder was in the mix but I think someone like Cavani on a shorter deal would have been an excellent option to look to.

Then you have midfield, which just looks dead. Obviously Ole knew last season Fred won't walk into his team and Matic would be frozen out, then he let Herrera go and sold fellaini on top, so why has there been zero investment there too? Its so rookie, its a bit of a joke.

Rebuilding is one thing but you need to work it in parallel to keeping competitive.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole - just started.
Moyes - the reason why We're in deep shit for 6 years+ now. It began from him and his aura still lingers around Old Trafford.

Just fecking punish him. Make him say "Illarramendi" 100 times without breathing. Fail and redo.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
Idiotic thread. Moyes took over a team who'd just walked the league. Cop the feck on.
It was also a seriously aged squad that were always going to fall off a cliff in terms of their ability. Moyes wasn't exactly a success, but he takes way, way too much flack for his performance compared to subsequent managers.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
But he shouldn't have a couple of windows for that. He should have us in top 4 this season, its not an unrealistic requirement. He could have at least looked at some cheaper alternatives that can push the side massively and be part of a long term plan.. Or bring on experience on a shorter deal with the wages he's freed up.

For example I am a fan of Hirving Lozano, and having his pace on one flank with Dan James on the other would have been tremendous. He wouldn't have commanded a silly fee or silly wages and he's at the age to start making a step up at 24. In the end he went to Napoli and will undoubtedly be a hit.

Or perhaps we can look at Bruno, who will also likely be a very good player when he moves on. He looks far better as a 10 than Pereira does. Or how about a striker option - Ben Yedder was in the mix but I think someone like Cavani on a shorter deal would have been an excellent option to look to.

Then you have midfield, which just looks dead. Obviously Ole knew last season Fred won't walk into his team and Matic would be frozen out, then he let Herrera go and sold fellaini on top, so why has there been zero investment there too? Its so rookie, its a bit of a joke.

Rebuilding is one thing but you need to work it in parallel to keeping competitive.
I think Ole would have kept Herrera but he wanted a massive wage which I don’t think he justified by any means. I understand you want the quick fix- we all do, and a whole new team bought in the last transfer window, but I’m prepared to give him a bit more time. Sure he’s a rookie, he’s going to make rookie mistakes. I’m sure he didn’t want to start this season with what we have up front and in midfield. I could be wrong. Like you said there were other options but We don’t know what went on behind the scenes, maybe he tried to get them, maybe he didn’t for whatever reason who knows?

NJM78

This should have been the OP.

One thing though, Moyes inherited a better squad and served up shite footy. Ole isn't getting the results (yet), but at least the footy is better and his recruitment has been far superior. If we keep Ole in charge for at least another year I have faith he will leave his successor a good squad unlike Moyes.

100% agree and I am not Ole out and would like him to get the full season but if it ends in disaster you know the board will take no blame so Ole will probably get the chop. I do think as you say that at least the next manager will inherit less dead wood and hopefully some valuable youngsters ready to play a big part next season.

TRUERED89

I'd like to see where Moyes would have left United if he took over a side that was a full 11 points off 4th. I'd say relegated.
Exactly, irrelevant thread. Moyes had RVP, Rooney, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick, Nani to name just a few. Even then, he played like a coward and made a team of champions feel like underdogs in every game. Talking shite about we aspire to be like "them". Defeatist mentality from day 1, despicable!

Infra-red

52.94 win rate

29.41 loss rate

51.51 win rate

30.30 loss rate

This would have sufficed as the OP. It is damning.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No way. But to put a different spin on this I feel Moyes would have managed the current squad better than Ole is doing.
Quite agree.
For a start David Moyes was vastly more experienced at managing in the PL.
He was also used to managing with limited resources and squad limitations.
In our current position, the most important thing is to get results irrespective of the style of play.
Winning games increases confidence which is very low at the moment.
We must remember that while his time at United was not a success, the players decided that they were not going to perform for him.
I am not advocating Moyes but in comparison with Ole his record is at least comparable.

dove

I feel most of the Caf would say NO! Contrary to your opinion
I know but it's only because people feel they must defend the manager no matter what. It's very common in our fanbase to be deluded when it comes to managers and it always takes at least 2 years for people to start seeing the situation a bit clearer. We have this weird phenomena just because of 2 people who were successful long term managers throughout our entire history.