Solskjaer's legacy and his future

slored1

His legacy is that he is the most Woodward-type manager possible. Mostly built on false downs and fake positivity, undone by a megastar signing that was absolutely not needed. Oh, and never took responsibility or thought of changing what has not worked.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
But this was not has it been for the last three years. It was always, ‘stop, cause he is a United legend’, always judged as Ole the legendary player, not Ole as the clown manager.
I agree. I'm merely stating how it should be, not necessarily how it has been.

KeepYourBeekOut

Not the worst, terrible result and clear either no system or players not getting it (generous thought) but I still feel squad better than when took over and gave me some joy as opposed to some others before. I think he will resign as clear players not doing it for him.

Redlyn

As far as I'm concerned, Solskjaer the player and Solskjaer the manager are two different people and should be evaluated separately.
Pretty much. He should have been caretaker only but it can never tarnish his legacy as a player for me. He will always be our baby faced assassin super sub.

Varun

Staff
Will be that of someone who overstayed his welcome and cost a top squad 1 season

LoneStar

Ole as a player is not the same as Ole as the manager. His legacy as a player will never change for me.

I'm as Ole out as you can get, but it never changes his history with the club as a player. And it's not like he is intentionally sabotaging the club. I'm sure he is trying his best, it's on the management to sack him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
If you’d asked the question before this game i’d have said his legacy is quite good, the squad is in good shape and we look fairly well equipped for whoever comes in next.

Todays result is unacceptable though, the fear is that we don’t act and the misery continues for another few weeks.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Probably not the best time to discuss this if you’re after objective answers.
Yeah, it could be even worse, still 20 minutes left. Some people become wild after 6 or 7 goals.

El Zoido

He knows how to build a squad just doesn’t know how to manage them.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
His legacy won’t change. He’s a genuine lad, loves the club and was a big part in our history.

he’s just not a brilliant manager. He’s done as good as expected, but he was never going to take us to the next level. The evidence was there long before the club gave him a new contract - should have been gone in the summer and let us move on.

AFC NimbleThumb

He’ll still have his disciples who who’ll play up any future success as him setting the table.

I still doubt he’ll be fired, the blind faith shown by some supporters has been beyond even the biggest expectations.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The worst Manchester United manager of all time?
It's hard not to be overly zealous after such result, but no, he's not.

Moyes didn't do anything right, ruining everything that he has touched. Solskjaer was a great interim manager, did some good stuff as a manager but eventually overstayed his welcome (by quite a lot). And he was never good enough to manage us, sadly. The team is in a better place now for a good manager to do something about it than it was post-Moyes, van Gaal & Mourinho.

If we're talking about his overall legacy, he's still a legend of the club and will remain one regardless of anything that's going to happen in the future. As a manager — yeah, it's not very good.

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree. I'm merely stating how it should be, not necessarily how it has been.
Dunno how it should be. He caused incredible damage to the club, so that should be part of his legacy too.

No one should take Ole’s goal in Camp Bou from him. No one should also take the humiliation at Old Trafford for him. They are both part of his legacy, for better or worse.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah he's done well to steady the ship and improve the squad but he was simply not capable of being a top manager. Essentially a caretaker who stayed too long. Definitely better than Moyes but can't be bothered bothered to compare the other three right now. All I know is that he should be sacked.

UnitedFire

The worst Manchester United manager of all time? Even Moyes never got humiliated this bad.

Will you ever be able to look at 1999 the same way knowing, the same man was responsible for the most humiliating home loss for the club in modern times?
This thread is embarrassing. Ole as a player and Ole as a manager are two very different things.

Plenty of players don't make it as a manager. For two seasons Ole has actually over achieved. He failed this summer by not sorting the midfield and now its come to cost him in a big way.

His luck has literally run out.

Will it impact his legacy....no, that is ridiculous and you should be banned for a while to reflect on this nonsense.

A lot here need some time out!

Last edited:

ExoduS

I feel so bad for Ole. He did not deserve this. He wanted the best for the club. He is extremely hard worker. I am not sure what is going so wrong, but my fear is that it is not just Solskjaers. Seems that we have a toxic, low-functioning organization. Something is rotten everywhere.

Revan

Assumptionman
His legacy won’t change. He’s a genuine lad, loves the club and was a big part in our history.

he’s just not a brilliant manager. He’s done as good as expected, but he was never going to take us to the next level. The evidence was there long before the club gave him a new contract - should have been gone in the summer and let us move on.
If he likes the club, let alone love it, he would resign tonight.

Let’s see if it happens.

Stringer

if he leaves now we’ll ultimately look back on a good job done. If he stays it’s going to get very bad.
We might look back positively on his tenure if it turns out that the players he has bought actually prove to be instrumental in winning something of note. I am not sure what else he has contributed when we consider now long he has been the manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Always was more a DOF for us than a manager.

Times up.

Leg-End

He did a job for us, he's assembled a decent squad ready to take the next step, that step being an actual tactic.

PoTMS

Left us just as he picked us up. Languishing in midtable in complete shambles.

Yes, we have a better squad now. And what? He spent £400m.

Revan

Assumptionman
I feel so bad for Ole. He did not deserve this. He wanted the best for the club. He is extremely hard worker. I am not sure what is going so wrong, but my fear is that it is not just Solskjaers. Seems that we have a toxic, low-functioning organization. Something is rotten everywhere.
Hard work means feck all if you are not good. You can get an incredibly hard working CEO of a small company in Norway, make him Apple’s CEO, and see Apple burn.

SAFMUTD

Honestly can't separate the player from the manager at this point, feck him.

He knows he's not good enough yet he persist in drowning us for his own benefit.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
If he likes the club, let alone love it, he would resign tonight.

Let’s see if it happens.
it’s his only big job now. Will never get another one close to it. He’s done at this level. If he has the backing of the club and belief in himself, then he won’t walk. This call should on the the clubs head.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Legend player.

Nepotism Inc. hire. Terrible, unqualified manager who should've never left Norway.
As a fan I had hoped he would continue to build but it's obvious that he and his staff are in way over their heads.

Ole needs to go immediately

As far as the title of this thread... no public relations stunt but it's only hurting the club, going forward. Of course he's a legendary player, but now his reputation is at the expense of the current team.

DutchCruijff

An incompetent manager/coach who left behind a very good squad.

I'll bear no ill feelings towards him at all. He hasn't left behind a complete mess like Mourinho or van Gaal.a

Wish him all the best for the future.

IL_DUCE

Leadership is the ability to get individuals to work "better" together according to plan. It is also good leadership to take responsibility when that does not happen. I think its time for Ole to resign and save his legacy

sport2793

He moved the squad in the right direction IMO. But pretty much everyone got carried away with the bounce we got after Jose left, the club felt forced into hiring him to stop a fan backlash and everyone seemed to forget the only managerial experience he had of top level football was getting relegated.

This is a self-inflicted wound that the fans who wanted him have to accept they've caused.
Even if the fans had not wanted him, the owners would have.