Someone's slashed Huntley's throat!

sparky

Blimey great thread

sparky and Chelt - you both seem to be grounded and reasonable people despite your knowing that particular system inside out from two very different perspectives so

just how difficult is it to remain measured and controlled in the face of mixing with, who you know to be, absolutely hardened evil hard core criminals.? It must really test the self control of either officer or lower grade prisoner - to know what some of these people have done and no doubt have no remorse about it - I take my hat off to you lads - I dont think I could manage that

And how has that effected you both in any way - do you feel it has had any detrimental effect on either of you in the way you deal with live 'outside'?

Fascinating stuff
It has affected me yes. I can't even watch adverts which feature babies, you know the Johnsons baby ads. It has been doubly hard in recent times due to allegations that have been made by my two nieces. (If you look at some of my recent threads you will see why). But I have to stay focused. I see it that, if I was to do something that would end up with me getting sacked, I will be another victim. And they will not care.
I am certainly alot more suspicious of people now. I used to meet people and trust them, now I meet people in a cagey way. They have to earn my trust.
It is also easy to see, that in some cases, there but for the grace of God, it could have been me. A lot is linked with drugs and the need to get more by whatever means. There can be a case, where someone has had a bit too much to drink, hits out and hits in the wrong place, killing someone. The intention was probably just to punch, but it shows you that under the influence, you are not in complete control.
Then there are cases that still get me. Because there is no sensible explanation. Yes, I believe some are just pure evil.
It can be hard talking to a prisoner in a civil manner and restraining yourself when the picture of the victim keeps flashing into your mind.
But its my job.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think he means going from one extreme to the other. Its a bit difficult to describe without getting myself in trouble!
Okay, lets put it this way......... it is too easy for a prisoner to lead a life in jail, that I, as an Officer can be jealous about. There is hardly any punishment (and I don't mean whipping and flogging!) to change the way a prisoner acts in jail.
I guess its one of those places the public don't really know about and don't really want to. The only times a jail is in the news is either to criticise the conditions (either way, if its too bad or if its too good) and if there is an escape. Though at least some news time was given to the 3 Officers who were attacked at Frankland. One nearly died. Another Officer at a jail near me had his face slashed. The statement of attacks on Officers are seen as serious is bollocks. They won't always go to court as its the Officers word against the prisoners. Yet there is not a lot we can do about it, apart from strike, which the government have now made illegal for us once more.
You think those attacks on officers would go down if prisoners were kept in worse conditions?

I'm sure you'd agree the opposite would happen. Which is why it's important that prisons have a miminal level of comfort for the inmates (which is what some people in this thread are objecting to) if only for the safety and mental well-being of the people who have to work there.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Then there are cases that still get me. Because there is no sensible explanation. Yes, I believe some are just pure evil.
It can be hard talking to a prisoner in a civil manner and restraining yourself when the picture of the victim keeps flashing into your mind.
But its my job.
Interesting stuff mate

Just on this point of dealing with purely evil remorseless murderers rapists etc .

Do you, being on the front line, as it were, feel these people can be rehabilitated - can be better people?

Moreover do they, having committed pre meditated atrocious crimes deserve or have a right to any other chance of 'bettering' themselves? as a victim and surrounding family simply have to 'get on with' the eternal suffering caused by these people

In the Bulger thread there was plenty of words about whether 'evil' actually exists but I feel it's a mute point and have seen what I perceive to be 'evil' in people close up

Have you ever met any evil cons that actually would feel themselves they should be 'put down' for their terrible crime/s?

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
typical cons, fecking useless cnuts cant even finish the job off properly

sparky

You think those attacks on officers would go down if prisoners were kept in worse conditions?

I'm sure you'd agree the opposite would happen. Which is why it's important that prisons have a miminal level of comfort for the inmates (which is what some people in this thread are objecting to) if only for the safety and mental well-being of the people who have to work there.
Thats not what I meant. When I talk about conditions in relation to staff safety, I do not mean we should stick them in a cell with nothing and never let them out. I pointed that out as it is currently the only viable method to ensure a prisoner cannot get hold of or attack Officers. I am not saying it is right, but it has to be linked into a lot of other factors. Conditions cannot only be physical but mental as well. The government introduced a new core day a while ago, which limited the amount of time out of cell. When you still have everyday items in cell and not a lot of time out, it leads to idle hands. And those idle hands like to make things. The core day was simply to save money. The frontline staff has been decimated to such a level, it is nearing private prison status. If the staff were given the right equipment, given the ability to do their jobs effectively ( like checking cell walls, searching etc) it would be easier to prevent incidents such as these. For instance, if a prsioner is found with 3 packs of tabacco and you know for a fact they do not smoke (and you found them hidden) the obvious thing is that they are either gambling or running a ring. However rules state they can have these so if brought on a charge it would be thrown out.

sparky

Interesting stuff mate

Just on this point of dealing with purely evil remorseless murderers rapists etc .

Do you, being on the front line, as it were, feel these people can be rehabilitated - can be better people?

Moreover do they, having committed pre meditated atrocious crimes deserve or have a right to any other chance of 'bettering' themselves? as a victim and surrounding family simply have to 'get on with' the eternal suffering caused by these people

In the Bulger thread there was plenty of words about whether 'evil' actually exists but I feel it's a mute point and have seen what I perceive to be 'evil' in people close up

Have you ever met any evil cons that actually would feel themselves they should be 'put down' for their terrible crime/s?
Some can, some cannot. It really depends on the person and if the truly believe it. It can be difficult to distinguish the tears of the crocidile and the tears of the genuine. I have seen many in tears proclaiming to be remorseful but I would say that 75% are only doing it because they think thats what you want to hear. Some crimes are connected to the immediate family and it is bizarre that sometimes the Parents are willing to blame the victim rather than the son.
There can be many factors that build up to the crime, but I always think about the victims to bring be back. Prisoners can be very manipulative. It is always annoying when the do gooders come in to visit and talk to you like a piece of shit because you dare to search them. They do not seem to get that giving a dangerous prisoner your home address and getting very close to them is in any way dangerous simply because they believe the Prisoner is misunderstood.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thats not what I meant. When I talk about conditions in relation to staff safety, I do not mean we should stick them in a cell with nothing and never let them out. I pointed that out as it is currently the only viable method to ensure a prisoner cannot get hold of or attack Officers. I am not saying it is right, but it has to be linked into a lot of other factors. Conditions cannot only be physical but mental as well. The government introduced a new core day a while ago, which limited the amount of time out of cell. When you still have everyday items in cell and not a lot of time out, it leads to idle hands. And those idle hands like to make things. The core day was simply to save money. The frontline staff has been decimated to such a level, it is nearing private prison status. If the staff were given the right equipment, given the ability to do their jobs effectively ( like checking cell walls, searching etc) it would be easier to prevent incidents such as these. For instance, if a prsioner is found with 3 packs of tabacco and you know for a fact they do not smoke (and you found them hidden) the obvious thing is that they are either gambling or running a ring. However rules state they can have these so if brought on a charge it would be thrown out.
I know that's not what you meant.

I was referring to comments from other people earlier in the thread which suggested that people who are sent down for serious crimes should spend their time inside locked in a tiny box, with no privileges whatsoever.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how difficult and dangerous it would be to deal with someone like that, someone who's got absolutely nothing to lose.

sparky

I was referring to comments from other people earlier in the thread which suggested that people who are sent down for serious crimes should spend their time inside locked in a tiny box, with no privileges whatsoever.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how difficult and dangerous it would be to deal with someone like that, someone who's got absolutely nothing to lose.
Oh aye, they are the worst ones and we do have some who are like that even with all the extras. If they don't have family or friends they rely on charity which although is still probably too much is quite limited in what it will give. It won't give them gamestations with the latest releases, just the basic care clothing allowance such as white t shirts and boxers etc.

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down
Blimey great thread

sparky and Chelt - you both seem to be grounded and reasonable people despite your knowing that particular system inside out from two very different perspectives so

just how difficult is it to remain measured and controlled in the face of mixing with, who you know to be, absolutely hardened evil hard core criminals.? It must really test the self control of either officer or lower grade prisoner - to know what some of these people have done and no doubt have no remorse about it - I take my hat off to you lads - I dont think I could manage that

And how has that effected you both in any way - do you feel it has had any detrimental effect on either of you in the way you deal with live 'outside'?

Fascinating stuff
Cheers jopub,no one has ever called me grounded before :)

It was difficult to mix with those cons that I refer to as wrong uns and it was never 100% certain which of them were the nonces because as I am sure sparky will confirm there is no identikit of a paedophile or a sex offender ie. bald head glasses and weedy looking.In fact many of the ones that we confirmed were wrong uns were everyday blokes who you could never tell by their appearance or behaviour.I myself would never let anyone into my cell apart from my co defendant who I have known since we were children as I had pictures of my kids and mrs all over my cell and would not want strangers who may be nonces looking at them.

To answer your question in has it affected me in any way to mix with these people then I would say no,my deep hatred for people of this type has developed from seeing the effect it has had on a very good friend and neighbour of ours who was abused by her father and I suppose being a dad and developing a kind of protective instinct that I may not have had as a single young bloke.

I am far from perfect and in the grand scheme of this Plech and his lot are probably right in the eyes of the law that these scum should not be harmed and be able to live in safety in jail,but as a dad and a human being who would protect anyones children as I would my own I would like to see all child killers such as Huntley and Whiting put down like dogs.

Cheltenham Red

they cant hurt anyone if they are kept in the box,who gives a monkeys about human rights for Huntley or Whiting etc.

Somebody give me a valid reason why anyone should give a toss if they are in pain or suffering after what those monsters did.

sparky

It was difficult to mix with those cons that I refer to as wrong uns and it was never 100% certain which of them were the nonces because as I am sure sparky will confirm there is no identikit of a paedophile or a sex offender ie. bald head glasses and weedy looking.In fact many of the ones that we confirmed were wrong uns were everyday blokes who you could never tell by their appearance or behaviour.I myself would never let anyone into my cell apart from my co defendant who I have known since we were children as I had pictures of my kids and mrs all over my cell and would not want strangers who may be nonces looking at them.

To answer your question in has it affected me in any way to mix with these people then I would say no,my deep hatred for people of this type has developed from seeing the effect it has had on a very good friend and neighbour of ours who was abused by her father and I suppose being a dad and developing a kind of protective instinct that I may not have had as a single young bloke.

I am far from perfect and in the grand scheme of this Plech and his lot are probably right in the eyes of the law that these scum should not be harmed and be able to live in safety in jail,but as a dad and a human being who would protect anyones children as I would my own I would like to see all child killers such as Huntley and Whiting put down like dogs.
True. Though the ones that are are usually highly sensitive to any physical pain on themselves. Maybe just the ones we get, but that has been my experience. I mean, stop wincing man, I have not even put the cuffs on you yet.......

narnar

Needs Help
they cant hurt anyone if they are kept in the box,who gives a monkeys about human rights for Huntley or Whiting etc.

Somebody give me a valid reason why anyone should give a toss if they are in pain or suffering after what those monsters did.
As Plechazunga said

a) I don't think civilised states allow themselves to torture or kill their citizens

and b) I don't want to take the risk of myself or others facing such measures if falsely condemned.

Bread

How long were you in for?

Feel free tell me to feck off if you dont wanna say anymore about it than you have already said!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is there any feckin doubt as to wether Huntley or Whiting are guilty?
The Birmingham Six, the Guildford Four and the Maguire Seven were all guilty as sin at the time of their conviction. I'm not suggesting that there has been a miscarriage of justice in the cases you are talking about but when it does happen, being dead makes correcting a miscarriage a bit more difficult.

Cheltenham Red

How long were you in for?

Feel free tell me to feck off if you dont wanna say anymore about it than you have already said!
no probs mate,first sentence was a 5 month for a drunken prank that went a bit wrong and the second one was for 21 months.It was a totally different experience to the first time as most of my second sentence was spent at HMP Erlstoke near Devizes which as I have said before was like staying at a travelodge as opposed to my fist time as a young lad and I did it all at HMP Gloucester which is an old victorian shit hole where we had to crap in a bucket.:(

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Did you come into contact with violent criminals at Erlstoke?

Is it as bad as it looks in movies in other ways with everyone getting into scraps all the time and having to prove they can fight?

Or do people generally leave you alone if you don't cause any bother?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
no probs mate,first sentence was a 5 month for a drunken prank that went a bit wrong and the second one was for 21 months.It was a totally different experience to the first time as most of my second sentence was spent at HMP Erlstoke near Devizes which as I have said before was like staying at a travelodge as opposed to my fist time as a young lad and I did it all at HMP Gloucester which is an old victorian shit hole where we had to crap in a bucket.:(
Out of curiosity, is it a coincidence that after your first spell in prison - a horrible prison - that you went on to re-offend, whereas after your second spell - in a 'nicer' environment - you haven't been back?

Cheltenham Red

Did you come into contact with violent criminals at Erlstoke?

Is it as bad as it looks in movies in other ways with everyone getting into scraps all the time and having to prove they can fight?

Or do people generally leave you alone if you don't cause any bother?
Yes I met a lot of violent criminals at Erlestoke but the majority were lifers coming to the end of their sentence for murder and they can see the freedom at the end of a long sentence and don't want any trouble.All they want is an easy life and just to get out and resume their life on the outside,of course there are exceptions and one guy got into a bit of a scrap in the kitchen where I was working and he was coming off the worse so he picked up a knife and I will never forget the look on his face it was pure evil.I have heard many cons say that a killer has a strange look about them and I cant really explain but when he picked up that knife and went for the other guy I shit myself because we all knew he was in for murder and if you have killed before then you are obviously more likely to do it again.

Luckily he was overpowered by the kitchen officers (I am dying to say screws but I don't want to offend sparky :))

To be honest that was the only time I saw any trouble of any sort at Erlestoke.

I heard of a few incidents but never witnessed any others at first hand.

Cheltenham Red

Out of curiosity, is it a coincidence that after your first spell in prison - a horrible prison - that you went on to re-offend, whereas after your second spell - in a 'nicer' environment - you haven't been back?
That is hard to explain Mike,I have thought a lot and the conclusion that I have got is that while I had a small daughter when I was at Gloucester I was split from her mum so had no family set up as such and was living with my mum and she brought my daughter over to see me and I served 2 1/2 months and did not miss any of the real developmental stages of my daughters life like first word first steps first day at school etc.

With my second sentence it was longer and I missed my son 's first steps his first birthday party his first words which will haunt me till I die.

Nothing is more important to me in life than family and I suppose I grew up on my second sentence and realised what was important and it was for me my family as opposed to the material things that trying to chase them ended up putting me in jail for my second time.

Moriarty

That is hard to explain Mike,I have thought a lot and the conclusion that I have got is that while I had a small daughter when I was at Gloucester I was split from her mum so had no family set up as such and was living with my mum and she brought my daughter over to see me and I served 2 1/2 months and did not miss any of the real developmental stages of my daughters life like first word first steps first day at school etc.

With my second sentence it was longer and I missed my son 's first steps his first birthday party his first words which will haunt me till I die.

Nothing is more important to me in life than family and I suppose I grew up on my second sentence and realised what was important and it was for me my family as opposed to the material things that trying to chase them ended up putting me in jail for my second time.
Cheltenham, if you don't mind me asking, was your second conviction for a similar offence to your first? I'm not asking for details and you don't have to answer.

Secondly, did you get any kind of support when you were released from, for example, organisations whose aim is to help rehabilitate ex-offenders? If so, was the help of any use to you?

I ask this because of my own experiences with the criminal justice system, though it wasn't gained in the UK.

sparky

Yes I met a lot of violent criminals at Erlestoke but the majority were lifers coming to the end of their sentence for murder and they can see the freedom at the end of a long sentence and don't want any trouble.All they want is an easy life and just to get out and resume their life on the outside,of course there are exceptions and one guy got into a bit of a scrap in the kitchen where I was working and he was coming off the worse so he picked up a knife and I will never forget the look on his face it was pure evil.I have heard many cons say that a killer has a strange look about them and I cant really explain but when he picked up that knife and went for the other guy I shit myself because we all knew he was in for murder and if you have killed before then you are obviously more likely to do it again.

Luckily he was overpowered by the kitchen officers (I am dying to say screws but I don't want to offend sparky :))
To be honest that was the only time I saw any trouble of any sort at Erlestoke.

I heard of a few incidents but never witnessed any others at first hand.
:lol: Thats okay! I actually prefer that term to warder, probably cos I hear it so often! But then we call ourselves screws as well, and yes I do read News of the Screws!!

Cheltenham Red

Cheltenham, if you don't mind me asking, was your second conviction for a similar offence to your first? I'm not asking for details and you don't have to answer.

Secondly, did you get any kind of support when you were released from, for example, organisations whose aim is to help rehabilitate ex-offenders? If so, was the help of any use to you?

I ask this because of my own experiences with the criminal justice system, though it wasn't gained in the UK.
Not a problem,my second sentence was for conspiracy and even though my involvement was on the lowest level of the three of us I was sentenced as the no.2 in the case as the real no.2 gave queens evidence(which meant he grassed on me and the other lad )and he swapped places with me and got community service and I did his time.

No support at all when I was released and I got 2 weeks dole money as I said I was of no fixed abode. (even though I had a home)all the cons did it to get extra beer tokens on release.

That was my last contact with the prison or probation service and I am glad to say I have not been in any trouble save for the odd parking ticket for about 15 years.Which in itself is no great shakes because that is how we should all live our lives but for me who spent his life from 12-27 in and out of court it is an achievement.

topper

Clown
Not a problem,my second sentence was for conspiracy and even though my involvement was on the lowest level of the three of us I was sentenced as the no.2 in the case as the real no.2 gave queens evidence(which meant he grassed on me and the other lad )and he swapped places with me and got community service and I did his time.

No support at all when I was released and I got 2 weeks dole money as I said I was of no fixed abode. (even though I had a home)all the cons did it to get extra beer tokens on release.

That was my last contact with the prison or probation service and I am glad to say I have not been in any trouble save for the odd parking ticket for about 15 years.Which in itself is no great shakes because that is how we should all live our lives but for me who spent his life from 12-27 in and out of court it is an achievement.
well feck me pink so rehab does work then ;)

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
The real no.2 sounds like a cnut.

Cheltenham Red

The real no.2 sounds like a cnut.
yes mate he was a coward but if I had no involvement at all then I wouldn't have been in the situation to be stiched up.

I spent 10 1/2 months looking forward to coming out and taking him for a pint to thank him ;) but I came to the conclusion that it would send me straight back and he would win again.

I'm up for an easy life now to see my kids grow up and then hopefully my grandkids,nothing else really matters to me tbh.

Moriarty

You beat the odds. I've seen many a person who was unable to break the cycle of offending despite the best of intentions. Some went from petty crime to more serious offences because once they were released, there was very little incentive on the outside for them to go straight. Many get hassled by the cops. I knew one guy, a small-time drug dealer, who walked out of prison to be met by the cops who wanted him to work as a CI. The carrot being that they were willing to let him sell dope again and the stick being that they would put the word out that he was a grass.

Cheltenham Red

You beat the odds. I've seen many a person who was unable to break the cycle of offending despite the best of intentions. Some went from petty crime to more serious offences because once they were released, there was very little incentive on the outside for them to go straight. Many get hassled by the cops. I knew one guy, a small-time drug dealer, who walked out of prison to be met by the cops who wanted him to work as a CI. The carrot being that they were willing to let him sell dope again and the stick being that they would put the word out that he was a grass.
Not so much beat the odds mate just probably grew up and realised family is infinately more important than the £ sign.

That is awfull what the police are prepared to do but i suppose if it brings down a large scale sumbag drug barron it may justify the methods they use.

Bread

Can't be nice being in jail for a prank that didnt go as planned, almost scary cos thats the sort of thing any of us could accidently do!

cheers for all the answers cheltnham! intresting!

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Aye, that bucket on top of a half-closed door gag ain't always as funny as it sounds.

I mean can you imagine how much it weighs?

If the whole thing lands on a man's head and sends him into a coma, I'm afraid it's GBH. :(

Cheltenham Red

Can't be nice being in jail for a prank that didnt go as planned, almost scary cos thats the sort of thing any of us could accidently do!

cheers for all the answers cheltnham! intresting!
Aye, that bucket on top of a half-closed door gag ain't always as funny as it sounds.

I mean can you imagine how much it weighs?

If the whole thing falls and sends a man into a coma, I'm afraid it's GBH. :(
Ha ha no it was nothing like that,I was out celebrating my friends 21st birthday and we were walking down Cheltenham high st at about midninght with a fair few beers on board and we walked past an Opticians and he said to me "do you know I am 21 and I have never owned a pair of Ray Bans.
I have no explanations of what happened next and why apart from in my drunken haze I somehow felt a bit sorry for my pal but I kicked the door of the shop and a pane of glass fell clean out and I went in the shop and got my mate a pair of sunglasses,I didn't even get a pair for myself and as i was leaving the shop an officer of the law detained me and 3 months later I was sent to jail for commercial burgalary.:nervous:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Must suppress... ah feck it :lol:*

To be fair, that'd only get you a suspended sentence/community service here (although I'm no expert).

*sorry

sparky

Ha ha no it was nothing like that,I was out celebrating my friends 21st birthday and we were walking down Cheltenham high st at about midninght with a fair few beers on board and we walked past an Opticians and he said to me "do you know I am 21 and I have never owned a pair of Ray Bans.
I have no explanations of what happened next and why apart from in my drunken haze I somehow felt a bit sorry for my pal but I kicked the door of the shop and a pane of glass fell clean out and I went in the shop and got my mate a pair of sunglasses,I didn't even get a pair for myself and as i was leaving the shop an officer of the law detained me and 3 months later I was sent to jail for commercial burgalary.:nervous:
:lol:

The problem is, there are a lot more people inside for doing silly things, sadly alot will 'learn' during their time and get caught up again and again. I know one lad who robbed a bank wearing a homemade footie top which had his name on the back........................
The silly crimes and in fact some of the silly stuff that happens inside keeps us going!!!