Someone's slashed Huntley's throat!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah lads, the appeals process involved with a death sentence costs a fortune in legal fees, all paid by the state.

Locking them up for life is the best solution, though I don't like when they segregate prisoners, where's the equality?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
poor attempt at humour Plech and bad edit
Not a wind-up, I'd like to know. Would you be happiest pressing the switch, or in an ideal world would you rather just be left in a room with guy for a few hours with a locked door and carte blanche?

I will switch it,why do you defend child killers right to life
Because as I already explained,

a) I don't think civilised states allow themselves to torture or kill their citizens

and b) I don't want to take the risk of myself or others facing such measures if falsely condemned.

topper

Clown
Not a wind-up, I'd like to know. Would you be happiest pressing the switch, or in an ideal world would you rather just be left in a room with guy for a few hours with a locked door and carte blanche?

a) I don't think civilised states allow themselves to torture or kill their citizens

and b) I don't want to take the risk of myself or others facing such measures if falsely condemned.
I think that virtually every country in the world short of perhaps the Vatican or Luxembourg tortures their citizens - for one reason or other. So what makes killers or rapists of children so special

lynchie

I would give the guy who slashed Huntley a medal if it were up to me but thats the bloodthirsty savage in me,nothing to do with justice for those dead little girls who saw practicaly nothing of life and had it robbed from them by Huntley.
So what if the guy that slashed Huntley is a convicted child killer? Or a rapist or murderer? And you'd give him a medal? So does murdering a killer in cold blood make it better?

Lets say, after killing James Bulger, Venables and Thompson were picked up, raped and killed by a paedophile on their way home. Since they were murderers, should that guy get a lenient sentence?

Plechazunga

I think that virtually every country in the world short of perhaps the Vatican or Luxembourg tortures their citizens - for one reason or other.
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Canada, New Zealand all torture their citizens do they?

To the extent that a state tortures and murders its citizens, it is that much less civilized. It's certainly nothing to be proud of.

topper

Clown
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Canada, New Zealand all torture their citizens do they?

To the extent that a state tortures and murders its citizens, it is that much less civilized. It's certainly nothing to be proud of.
I know the Swiss do and its a fair bet that many of those listed do/have done in recent times.

I agree that its not a thing to be proud of but if governments can justify it however covertly then why couldn't they justify killing child murders

Plechazunga

I know the Swiss do and its a fair bet that many of those listed do/have done in recent times.

I agree that its not a thing to be proud of but if governments can justify it however covertly then why couldn't they justify killing child murders
I don't care whether governments justify torture, whether of their own or other nationals. They should never do it, under any circumstances. To the extent that they do, they are that much more barbaric than those that don't.

topper

Clown
I don't care whether governments justify torture, whether of their own or other nationals. They should never do it, under any circumstances. To the extent that they do, they are that much more barbaric than those that don't.
well we've moved from your premise that Countries don't torture their citizens to that they are barbaric when they do. Its a start I suppose :D

Plechazunga

Yep. Civilisation is obviously a matter of degrees. The most civilized don't torture anyone.

Less civilized ones, like ours, might torture people covertly to extract information, even though they're signed up to international treaties obligating them not to and criminalising those responsible. But they don't enshrine it in their laws, legitimating it as a normative means of punishment.

Further down the food chain are those that routinely and openly torture. I guess the height of barbarism would be a state that tortured everybody.

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down

I have no interest in the revenge factor of killing a child murderer unless it was my own child that was killed.I think that anyone especially child killers lose their right to life when they purposely take someone elses.

Right or wrong it is my belief

Cheltenham Red

So what if the guy that slashed Huntley is a convicted child killer? Or a rapist or murderer? And you'd give him a medal? So does murdering a killer in cold blood make it better?

Lets say, after killing James Bulger, Venables and Thompson were picked up, raped and killed by a paedophile on their way home. Since they were murderers, should that guy get a lenient sentence?
Lynchie that is a great point and I would like to retract my post about giving him a medal.I made that without thought and the chances are anyone in there with Huntley is a wrong un of sorts so maybe if anyone does slash him could then slash themselves and my moral compass would then be satisfied ;)

topper

Clown
Yep. Civilisation is obviously a matter of degrees. The most civilized don't torture anyone.

Less civilized ones, like ours, might torture people covertly to extract information, even though they're signed up to international treaties obligating them not to and criminalising those responsible. But they don't enshrine it in their laws, legitimating it as a normative means of punishment.

Further down the food chain are those that routinely and openly torture. I guess the height of barbarism would be a state that tortured everybody.
hypocrisy however you define it by degree or otherwise remains hypocrisy

Plechazunga

Well yes. And if they didn't torture anyone, it would make them both more civilized and less hypocritical.

I don't understand what you're getting at. If they decided to torture everyone in the country, openly, as well as terrorism suspects, they'd be being less hypocritical about torture, wouldn't they? But that wouldn't exactly be a good thing.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't think Huntley's exactly living the life of Reilly. He's tried to top himself a few times already, and he must live in fear of further attacks. He basically can't really have a relationship with any other human being now. I would think in his case, at least, the punishment is as least as bad as being executed.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe he should be allowed on playstation network so other gamers can kill him in all manner of juicy ways to satisfy their bloodlust.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Misguided in believing a retributionalist justice system is preferable to a consequentialist one.
mmm.... but that's just a sentence

What is it then that is so much improved upon in your 'consequentialistic' justice system?

Where is the 'betterment' in it exactly? whats so misguided exactly about a retributionalistic system ? (in relation to premeditated heinous murders)

Again with respect this sounds like dictum handed out at a uni first year philosophy seminar

I'd like people who are of your mindset to explain why the rehabilitation of hard core, confessed, murderers is so necessary excluding monetary reasons.

I've read those 'death penalty reports' and although interesting I cant and do not believe the disparity ($230m to kill them - £11m to jail them) between the different costs and seeing as they are on the table from Amnesty International that does give them shall we say, an agenda

Again for me this comes down eventually to the perception of what is and what is not 'civilised'.

If 'civilised' is improving upon the world in a forever positive upward curve for all humanity, I am all for it.

However keeping people alive who's only ambition, purpose in life is to kill other people for pleasure, is imo no improvement and should not be as far as I can see part of the overall 'improvement' plan

I_live_cement

Cat freak
If 'civilised' is improving upon the world in a forever positive upward curve for all humanity, I am all for it.
He will be in prison for the rest of his life, so what is the difference to society when he won't be a part of it either way? Why is it so important to you that he be killed?

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
He will be in prison for the rest of his life, so what is the difference to society when he won't be a part of it either way? Why is it so important to you that he be killed?
Bloody obvious is'nt it

He premeditatedly took the lives of two young girls

Maybe you've lost the importance of that fact

...unless of course that bit is not important

For many of us that's enough to have to forfeit your own life

Just to add that result, for me anyway, comes under the concept of civilised

Cheltenham Red

I don't think Huntley's exactly living the life of Reilly. He's tried to top himself a few times already, and he must live in fear of further attacks. He basically can't really have a relationship with any other human being now. I would think in his case, at least, the punishment is as least as bad as being executed.
what a shame,would you like him treated with a bit more sympathy

narnar

Needs Help
I think it's the computer games and playstations that are turning people into these monsters tbh.

narnar

Needs Help
Ah, I wasn't serious. I'm posting from a PS3.

And I don't think playstations cause aggressive behaviour btw.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Alright then, we could grade the torture. Stocks for dropping litter, limbs hacked off for robbery, rapists forced to eat their own genitals, eyes gouged out out for murder, all of the above +3ft box for child murder.

It could be organised by some bearded men in special red gowns, speaking ecclesiastical Latin.
I'm up for this, I have a beard, and on occasion I have been known to dress up! ;)

For what it's worth, I believe our prisons should be run along the lines of "Tent City" in Phoenix.

There was a programme about it last week on the tv. Prisoners are housed in tents, which inside can reach temperatures of 140 degrees!!!
They have to wear pink underwear and are made to do hard labour in chain gangs, cleaning up local parks, clearing ditches. Useful stuff which enhances the neighbourhood, not sitting around all day playing of fcuking Playstations or watching TV.

Prisons should be a place that people don't ever want to go back to, not fcuking holiday camps! :nono::nono:

Cheltenham Red

Prisons should be a place that people don't ever want to go back to, not fcuking holiday camps! :nono::nono:
spot on,holiday camp is near as damn a great description of many modern prisons.I am not on about the victorian rat holes in the citys but the new built prisons are better equipped than many haven/butlins (which probably isn't saying much)

Plechazunga

the inference I drew from sincher's post is that Huntley has suffered a lot since his incarceration,why would he say that unless he wanted us to feel sorry for him.
His point was not that it's a great pity he's suffering, but that it's probably worse for him being alive than it would have been getting executed - refuting the idea that society was soft to let him live on in Playstation heaven.