Sorry, but why is Rashford rated here? (Read the context)

Ixion

Him & sancho looked ideally placed to stretch the Italians at 1-0 or extra time

should have used one of them too conservative
Bizarre he spent so long on the touchline looking like he was about to come on just for them to wait till a minute to go.

punk19

Mourinho was wrong on anawful lot of things during his spell at our club. Notably Shaw who has proved him so so so wrong to the point where Mou looks stupid. Anyway - Mourinho was always quite criticual of Rash and what he always said was (1) he's not a young inexperienced player (which is true) he's played ALOT of games now and should be showing more IMO and (2) for his goal record isn't good enough for someone with his reputation (again, true) when you consider a fair number of them are pens. Not saying i don't rate him as a player BUT it's quite apparent that he's not going to be an Mbappe level talent and clearly Gareth thinks so as well given that he wasn't even in contention for selection. injury or no injury he was still in the squad. He's a lovely guy Rash and i admire him for what he does but i think he would benefit hugely from having Roy Keane or someone teaching him how to win and be a right bast**rd. Because, he does have the ability to be somone on the level of Arjen Robben if he wants to be. But, he's too nice most of the time.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In a final too. Stupid. No pressure at all.
And what makes it infuriating is that Southgate knows what missing a key penalty means. Instead of trying to protect England's future he throws Saka, Rashford and Sancho in what is possibly the worse scenario possible. Even Roy Keane with his tough love, all modern players are snowflake mentality couldn't help but to go all out defending Saka. How can this so called manager be that stupid?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Him & sancho looked ideally placed to stretch the Italians at 1-0 or extra time

should have used one of them too conservative
Kane was knackered and Mount was having a mare. England was playing with 9 players with them around. What England should have done was to put Rashford, Grealish and Sancho in, instead of Mount, Kane and Trippier. England would then go 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with Walker, Maguire, Stones and Shaw in defence, Phillips, Rice and Grealish in CM, Sancho and Sterling on the flanks and Rashford upfront as a false striker. Bonucci and Chiellini are simply too bright to keep that high line with Sancho, Rashford and Sterling bombing at them. They would move deeper and would have given England the chance of winning back the midfield and hit on the quick counter.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Rashford has all the talent in the world and seems like a genuinely great human being. Plus many of us remember how ruthless he was in front of goal when he first came up before he was converted into a winger.

I think to be fair Rashford over the past few years has got more and more flappy in front of the goal, seeming less and less sure when he needs to pull the trigger both in terms of passing the ball or shooting. He would not have been on my list of penalty takers.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's the Foreign fans that give our club a bad name. Glory hunting muppets the vast majority of you. 90% of which would support Man City had you been born in the late 2000's. Anyone having a go at Rashford today is no United fan.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Rashford has all the talent in the world and seems like a genuinely great human being. Plus many of us remember how ruthless he was in front of goal when he first came up before he was converted into a winger.

I think to be fair Rashford over the past few years has got more and more flappy in front of the goal, seeming less and less sure when he needs to pull the trigger both in terms of passing the ball or shooting. He would not have been on my list of penalty takers.
Given that he scores them for us( EL final) he most definitely should be on the list!

Look, we all know he’s been less than 100% over the last few weeks or my feeling is that he’d be on a lot more.

We lost that final because Mancini is a far better coach than Southgate will ever be. He managed the match with his tactics and subs far better. When he lost Chiesa their heads didn’t drop. I don’t see the same with England under Southgate

Inigo Montoya

It's the Foreign fans that give our club a bad name. Glory hunting muppets the vast majority of you. 90% of which would support Man City had you been born in the late 2000's. Anyone having a go at Rashford today is no United fan.
Well said!

RUCK4444

How on earth is this thread not locked?

Guy gets thrown on last minute of the tournament whilst being ignored by a largely inept manager, hits the post and fans who are supposed to support him slag him off. Disgrace.

Deery

Dreary
If it wasn’t for foreign fans United wouldn’t be anywhere near the club they are to suggest 90% are the problem is pure arrogance.

Inigo Montoya

Even when he was on the touchline coming on he looked stiff.
That’s because he was standing still. One doesn’t tend to flop around like a trout when your waiting. I did that once when waiting for a bus, told everyone I was loosening up. Got very strange looks

Matt007a

He’s always blown hot and cold. He’s not been in good form lately which is why he hasn’t really featured much this tournament. I can see why he was brought on for the penalties though, he’s very experienced for his age and has taken big pressure penalties in the past. I do think he should have come on 15 minutes earlier to get a touch on the ball and get into full flow.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If it wasn’t for foreign fans United wouldn’t be anywhere near the club they are to suggest 90% are the problem is pure arrogance.
I didn't say that. I said 90% would support Man City or somebody else if born at another decade which is true. People supported us because we won stuff when they were kids. The end.

And anyone abusing Rashford can go play on the motorway. Shameful.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That’s because he was standing still. One doesn’t tend to flop around like a trout when your waiting. I did that once when waiting for a bus, told everyone I was loosening up. Got very strange looks
:D
I dont know, man. He just looks like he's lacking flexibility in his movement with the ball in recent times.

Eplel

I guarantee you, in this case, it's the other way around. A large chunk of the criticism Rashford gets is politically charged, because he makes some people's favourite government look bad.

Lewnited

State of this post, bordering on blatant xenophobia. Some of the things I've heard in the stands on match day make this thread seem lighthearted at worst.

On the thread - he missed, it happens. Just take some time out to preoperly recover ffs.

Deery

Dreary
I didn't say that. I said 90% would support Man City or somebody else if born at another decade which is true. People supported us because we won stuff when they were kids. The end.

And anyone abusing Rashford can go play on the motorway. Shameful.
Shouldn’t be abusing Rashford I agree there he’s another one that didn’t get a good crack at the whip by Southgate..

wolvored

Given that he scores them for us( EL final) he most definitely should be on the list!

Look, we all know he’s been less than 100% over the last few weeks or my feeling is that he’d be on a lot more.

We lost that final because Mancini is a far better coach than Southgate will ever be. He managed the match with his tactics and subs far better. When he lost Chiesa their heads didn’t drop. I don’t see the same with England under Southgate
This. Southgate had us looking like old England again. 11 behind the ball, no outlet as Kane and Sterling defending deep again. Big hoof up the pitch. Clueless how to stop Italy. Brags about his bench strength then frightened to use it. Look how Mancini subbed compared to Southgate. You can't count the last 2 subs.
I would love Mancini to manage Utd, even if he managed City.

Inigo Montoya

The point he’s making is that non- English fans are not as invested in home grown talent as British/ English fans are and you only have to look at message boards to see the criticism that Utd get when going after or promoting English talent.

When Juve or BM sign all the best players from their country, it’s seen as great investment, shrewd etc. Utd look to do it and it’s seen as something else.

The idea that Utd wouldn’t be where they are if not for the foreign fans is a bit thin. The entire fan base either local or international should be valued. I’m not going to get into a lengthy history of Utd’s fans as all clubs now exploit their fan bases. If you spend money on the club, they’re going to live it whether you come from Salford or East Timor

0le

Just to make things clear, this is NOT a bash Rashford thread (read the OP). This is a broader theme wether Rashford will be able to make that jump in becoming a world class player and stamping his consistency in the team, considering he will enter his 7th season at United.

Its common sense that fans should support the club and support the players in the good and bad times.

However, constructive criticism should never be avoided because of ‘emotional’ attachment towards a player or team.
The only reason you bumped this thread was because Rashford took a poor penalty and you saw a convenient way to get across your viewpoint once more. It strikes me as pretty crass and has nothing to do about constructive criticism at all because he literally played one minute of football last night.

big rons sovereign

This. Southgate had us looking like old England again. 11 behind the ball, no outlet as Kane and Sterling defending deep again. Big hoof up the pitch. Clueless how to stop Italy. Brags about his bench strength then frightened to use it. Look how Mancini subbed compared to Southgate. You can't count the last 2 subs.
I would love Mancini to manage Utd, even if he managed City.
Wash your mouth out. Or watch the aguerooooo clip 10 times over.
Good grief.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

I agree completely that's why we lost because Mancini managed the game and his team better. Mancini adapted as the game went on Southgate didn't.

It's a good point about Rashord scoring a penalty in the EL final. But still, stand by my comment that Rashord's decison making in the final 3rd of the pitch has got more and more questionable as each season goes on. He has been at his best when he just has to react, when he has time to think about what he should do he seems to overthink things is when he seems to make a mistake. And when he has hardly played for a month and has to come on just to make the biggest kick of his professional career, he would not be a player I would trust.

Trequarista10

Hoping Rashford has whatever surgery it is he needs and comes back stronger. He's had a turbulent few seasons. Coming into his mid 20s soon and he needs to find that extra level of consistency and maturity in his performances sooner rather than later.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kane was knackered and Mount was having a mare. England was playing with 9 players with them around. What England should have done was to put Rashford, Grealish and Sancho in, instead of Mount, Kane and Trippier. England would then go 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with Walker, Maguire, Stones and Shaw in defence, Phillips, Rice and Grealish in CM, Sancho and Sterling on the flanks and Rashford upfront as a false striker. Bonucci and Chiellini are simply too bright to keep that high line with Sancho, Rashford and Sterling bombing at them. They would move deeper and would have given England the chance of winning back the midfield and hit on the quick counter.
It's almost safe to say that England 'succeeded' in spite of Southgate, not because. He kept it tight earlier in the tournament but the squad was always going to win those games, and when we needed him to show up tactically, he just didn't.

Deery

Dreary
The point he’s making is that non- English fans are not as invested in home grown talent as British/ English fans are and you only have to look at message boards to see the criticism that Utd get when going after or promoting English talent.

When Juve or BM sign all the best players from their country, it’s seen as great investment, shrewd etc. Utd look to do it and it’s seen as something else.

The idea that Utd wouldn’t be where they are if not for the foreign fans is a bit thin. The entire fan base either local or international should be valued. I’m not going to get into a lengthy history of Utd’s fans as all clubs now exploit their fan bases. If you spend money on the club, they’re going to live it whether you come from Salford or East Timor
Maybe not as excited to see a young talent make the England team but I think everyone generally likes to see youth products make the first team it’s basically what United were born off.

I don’t know about the second point as United make tons of money from global advertising, TV deals and shirts sales, but that’s not taking anything away from the local fan base who also generate vast amounts of money as well.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
How on earth is this thread not locked?

Guy gets thrown on last minute of the tournament whilst being ignored by a largely inept manager, hits the post and fans who are supposed to support him slag him off. Disgrace.
Think that's a bit harsh, 'Limited manager' would be fairer.

CM

Anyone blaming Rashford for last night is a weapon. He was put in an extremely high pressure situation where anyone could miss, having barely played any football in the actual game or the tournament. It speaks more to his character that he was prepared to step up and take one. Ditto for Sancho and Saka.

dinostar77

That a slightly racist comment there mate.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Had it not been for Maguire and Shaw I would have probably not cared one bit about this England team especially after seeing how Southgate treated Rashford and Sancho.
Yes, don‘t take the knackered and struggling Kane and especially Sterling off, who both played 120 mins only a few days ago against Denmark, keep Mount on for so long, fail to beat Italy in 90/120 minutes with the strong squad England has … and then the icing on the cake let Rashford and Sancho wait until the very last minutes only to bring them on to take the most important penalty of their career.
Southgate, such a loser.

OL29

That a slightly racist comment there mate.
His posts always have xenophobic undertones, I can honestly say that as a Mancunian who’s been going to games since a kid and even spent time working at get club, it’s fans like him that are the most embarrassing.

Flytan

After arguing with another poster:

I think it's important to be able to separate Rashford the humanitarian/politician and Rashford the football player. You can say that he has underperformed (whether it be due to injury or just being an inconsistent player) in recent times without taking away anything he does outside of the game.

I think he's good player who has patches of being brilliant but he'll never reach a level much higher than he is currently at. He can be extremely frustrating to watch when he just dribbles into the opposing team all match but is able to find moments that few other players in the world can replicate. I do think it was a huge mistake to push back getting surgery to play in the Euros (since he barely played anyway) and it will have consequences on our season.

El-Manos

And what makes it infuriating is that Southgate knows what missing a key penalty means. Instead of trying to protect England's future he throws Saka, Rashford and Sancho in what is possibly the worse scenario possible. Even Roy Keane with his tough love, all modern players are snowflake mentality couldn't help but to go all out defending Saka. How can this so called manager be that stupid?
Well said.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
20-21 = 21 goals, 15 assists in all comps
19-20 = 22 goals, 12 assists in all comps
18-19 = 13 goals, 10 assists in all comps
17-18 = 13 goals, 10 assists in all comps
16-17 = 11 goals, 7 assists in all comps
15-16 = 12 goals, 2 assists in all comps

Not sure what people really expect from Rashford. He was injured needing surgery last season and still managed over 20 goals in all comps. My biggest fear when it comes to Rashford is that we're damaging his body and shortening his career by making him play through injury. Hopefully with Sancho coming we can allow Rashford the proper time he needs to heal up.

Hard to really see his ceiling as a player but he's got significantly better since Ole took over. He's improving and that's all we can ask for really.

Godfather

Agreed. This stupid fecking foreigners not only take away jobs but also dare to support an English club and give it a bad name. A banner at OT with "Love United, hate foreigners" should do the trick to get United's great name back again.

Offsideagain

Rashford is a gem, but he is human. Clearly, Southgate didn’t favour him or Sancho to some degree because they are too attack minded. Rashford does chase back to help the defence, Sancho not so much but even I could see the Italian defence was slow and both these players would have torn them apart if Southgate had had the balls to play them, even just for one half. Southgate relied too much on Kane scoring a wonder goal or Raheem doing his falling over routine for a win.

Andersons Dietician

I’m surprised you‘ve not been banned yet for repeatedly spreading this vile rubbish. I think you’ll find it’s fans like yourself that give United and England a bad name.