Southgate doesn’t get the credit he deserves

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But "he deserves credit" when they beat worse teams than them with negative tactics, no?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Man's just fecked another shootout. What a tit.

Subs on two players to take pens and they both miss, and then puts the most inexperienced kid who plays for a loser club on the final penalty? What the actual feck?
Bizarre stuff

UncleBob

Not a very good manager.

Majority of subs have been shit during the tournament

Stactix

Predictable, use your fecking bench when you have time. Be proactive not reactive.

Coward.

passing-wind

Poor man management put too much pressure on the younger lads. Should have had the likes of Henderson etc more experience needed.

MU655

I'm sort of glad they won. Southgate has screwed his squad over. He is not a good man manager.

Traub

Cowardly lineup, absolutely bottled this final. His obsession with a 19 year old over the most exciting player in the league leads to this inevitable outcome.

BarstoolProphet

Shouldn't the thread title be "Southgate doesn't get the criticism he deserves"? Utterly pathetic and negative manager, glad he didn't win it. Felt sorry for the players.

ManRed

Don't care what anyone says, he is not as good a manager everyone claims. The wealth of talent he has and the way he played was a disgrace. Rather make Mourinho the manager.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Why did they rely on young Players to take pens. Maybe England wasn't ready yet, but I feel sorry for Sancho, Rashford and Saka.

Zoo

This was the golden chance. Does anyone really believe that England are going to be serious contenders at the World Cup? So new contract for Southgate and more years of false dawns.

dove

Did well to reach the finals playing that trash 18th century style of football but ultimately he cost the trophy it I think. So much attacking talent in that England squad but he would rather play 11 defenders if he could. Terrible.

The Hilton

Will never get fired, because we love heroic losses, but we'll never win anything with him in charge.

His game and squad management is awful, played for pens from 35 minutes, without even the good sense to give us a threat on the break.

He's holding back an incredibly talented squad.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Man's just fecked another shootout. What a tit.

Subs on two players to take pens and they both miss, and then puts the most inexperienced kid who plays for a loser club on the final penalty? What the actual feck?
People will defend him and say it’s a lottery but that is unforgivable for me and shows a complete lack of man management and even basic logic.

Two players who hadn’t even warmed up or gotten a bit of time on the pitch and an overawed youngster.

It should be unforgivable for England fans. I would always be doubting his judgement after that. Mind boggling and amateur, and I really don’t think that’s harsh.

MU655

He lost England the game through pure negativity. Embarrassing way to lose.

NoLogo

Why did he wait to literally the last minute of the game before subbing Rashford and Sancho on, way to go in telling you players you don't really trust them and then expect them to shoot penalties with confidence? What a moron.

Shiva87

That was entirely brain dead management tonight. How does he not bring Rashford or Sancho on for the extra time.

Their pace on the counter would have been perfect for a tiring and ageing defence. 118th minute really.

Rashford was told 15 mins before that he will have only 1 penalty to take. Why was Saka taking the last one. Youngest player in their XI at the end.

FatTails

I just want to say that I am proud of my thread, combining veiled criticism of the England squad and manager with the power of the jinx.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Got to the final in spite of him. Cowardly tactics in the final and got played off the pitch but grinded out a penalty shoot out, and then made some idiotic decisions to set the penalty order.

This is on Southgate 100%. Without a doubt.

el3mel

Southgate is a shit manager who's just lucky with not just the quality his squad has but also with some very lucky draws in every cup. England's draws towards WC semi and Euro final was basically no big teams except Germany in one of its worst state. England's quality can beat the likes of Ukraine or Sweden any time.

He's just a pretty damn lucky guy, shit but lucky.

Cloud7

How can your tactic be to defend a one goal lead for 88 minutes. Ridiculous.

Nothing I’ve seen in this tournament has made me change my opinion that he is wasting one of the best squads in world football, and they get where they are despite him, not because of him.

Special mention to sending an 18 year old out to take the final penalty because oh my god.

ArjenIsM3

It was a joke to bring on two young players to take a penalty. Two players who have barely featured, one of which is struggling with injuries. Absolute joke of a decision from Southgate. And then when you have to score you let the youngest player on the pitch take it. What the actual feck. Shocking manager.

lsd

The Oracle
He is a poor manager. Mancini would have won that for England easily.