Southgate doesn’t get the credit he deserves

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Quality control
Best manager with subs out there.
Not on him they lost this.

Blame Rashford,
blame Sancho,
blame Saka.

Fecking losers.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
I don‘t get why he put on Saka instead of Rashford or Sancho. Why didn’t he bring on Grealish earlier.
Why didn‘t he sub Sterling? Sterling didn‘t even take a pen.
Why did Sancho and Rashford have to wait for the last possible moment and didn‘t even get 4 minutes? They were ready to come on. I honestly don‘t get it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
who has not worked with a shitc**t like southgate? turn up in a suit, say the right things, suck up to the right people, get promoted. he’ll get get a new contact. everything that happened tonight was predicted by millions of people.

Trequarista10

How can you not? Two players he clearly didn’t trust, being brought on with no time to even get a touch and get warmed up, having to take two pressure pens.

And then Saka giving all the evidence in the world that the occasion was too much for him, from the moment he came on, being given such a massive pen.

It was moronic, there is definitely blame to give to Gareth on those decisions. Such poor planning and logic.
You get warmed up before coming on... The alternative is a player whose legs are jelly after playing 120 minutes of football...

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Rashford and sancho will be villified but they were forced into a penalty shootout of a fecking final without having touched the ball.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I disagree with a lot of what people are saying here, I think subs aside he got it right.

They were a different league in terms of technically and ball keeping ability in their midfield and defence. The way they moved the ball was far better than anything we could do. We had to play counter attacking football. We defended really well, with all of their possession and technical ability they created little and we were comfortable most of the game. This was our best chance to win.
For no other reason, his use (or lack of it) of Grealish was a disgrace. If you are being forced back and struggling to get a hold of the game, he's your best chance to fight against that. He can get on the ball, keep it and drive forward, or he will force the opposition to foul him so you can reset positions and get set pieces into the box. There's plenty of other things that you could argue could have been done differently as well, but it's not utilizing Grealish (not just in this game) which was incredibly inept.

el3mel

Just remember that England pretty much parked the bus after the first 10 minutes. They parked the bus for a whole 80 minutes.

With all these attacking talent on the bench. Southgate brought Grealish and Sancho with him just to keep them as bench options the whole tournament.

It's honestly inexcusable. If I were English I would want him sacked immediately.

GMoore23

How can your tactic be to defend a one goal lead for 88 minutes. Ridiculous.

Nothing I’ve seen in this tournament has made me change my opinion that he is wasting one of the best squads in world football, and they get where they are despite him, not because of him.

Special mention to sending an 18 year old out to take the final penalty because oh my god.
This, could mentally feck the kid for a while. Says a lot about the more senior players as well, cowards

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You get warmed up before coming on... The alternative is a player whose legs are jelly after playing 120 minutes of football...
Most of the players who had that scored their penalties! It’s a massive ask to come in cold and hit a pen like that. No adrenaline, no focus, nothing. Three woeful choices.

Handré1990

Would have been a great idea... if we did any counter attacking at all.

Instead he turned us into Burnley in front of all of Europe. He can feck off.
Bingo. You were in the lead at the hour mark, but were losing ground and Italy pushed more and more upfield. How about, you know, bring on some attackers who thrive on the counter? I feel for you guys, you were soundly beaten by your own manager.

marktan

The defensive set up is the right call, as was the use of 5 at the back. The problem is he goes too defensive, you can't be leaving Grealish on the bench for Mount, especially in a 5 at the back when you don't need Mount's superior work rate.

Should've made subs around the 70th minute but waited too long.

Wilt

Absolutely no blame on the players…. this is all on Southgate.

But why are we so bad at pens?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We’re going to have to endure the same shit on a stick defensive football with a £bn attacking bench next summer aren’t we?

MU655

Players always come on for a kick about before penalties. Running is fine but it doesn't get you into the game.

Hammondo

For no other reason, his use (or lack of it) of Grealish was a disgrace. If you are being forced back and struggling to get a hold of the game, he's your best chance to fight against that. He can get on the ball, keep it and drive forward, or he will force the opposition to foul him so you can reset positions and get set pieces into the box. There's plenty of other things that you could argue could have been done differently as well, but it's not utilizing Grealish (not just in this game) which was incredibly inept.
Yea I would have picked him as well, but it wouldn't have changed our approach much.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't think he is clueless. He has his qualities, but damn that tactic after going 1-0 up with all the attacking talent he has.

And then to put such pressure on Sancho who was on the bench for pretty much whole tournament and a 19 year old kid.

He bottled it, not the players.

Someone

Something
Reaching the final is an achievement, and he'll obviously be managing England in the next WC, but he's too cautious to really get the best out of this generation. What a waste.

Highfather_24

Isn't this the problem we had in the past, managers trying to squeeze every big name player into a team and system that simply did not get the best out of them.
Playing an "unbalanced team with all the stars" and Southgate's boreball, are not the only two options like people pretend here.

Southgate is a coward. A joke. That's why even though I love United, I cant support England(along with the annoying "its coming home" shit).

Football won today.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Good tournament from him, he set us up well and the first half was great today. Maybe didn’t make the changes soon enough and got it all wrong in the second half onwards. Disappointing. Absolutely gutted, still back him of course, so proud of the boys.

Trequarista10

Most of the players who had that scored their penalties! It’s a massive ask to come in cold and hit a pen like that. No adrenaline, no focus, nothing. Three woeful choices.
You maybe right, but it's uncertain IMO.

My point is Southgate lost it in regulation time, and I think it's fairer to judge his failing on the 120 minutes of football rather than pens.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This is a good excuse to get rid of him. Too bad what happened with Big Sam. Was a far superior choice.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Good tournament from him, he set us up well and the first half was great today. Maybe didn’t make the changes soon enough and got it all wrong in the second half onwards. Disappointing. Absolutely gutted, still back him of course, so proud of the boys.
I thought the players did well, I wouldn't blame them, at all. Just a shame they have a shit coach.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thankfully not.

It’s in the winter.
Don’t build my hopes up like that. I thought there might be a resignation tweet at the bottom of that :(

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not on sending that kid for the last pen.

Cloud7

This, could mentally feck the kid for a while. Says a lot about the more senior players as well, cowards
After diving to try to win penalties for the entire tournament it was an embarrassment for Sterling to not take one.

Spoony

The People's President
Needs to go. This team will hit next two touros. His defensive mindset and lack of ability to make changes when needed has cost England massively.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You maybe right, but it's uncertain IMO.

My point is Southgate lost it in regulation time, and I think it's fairer to judge his failing on the 120 minutes of football rather than pens.
Yeah, I get coming at it from that angle. He should never have been on that position in the first place!

I just thought it was shocking what he did from them. Poor Saka had no chance by the end.

dove

Send 2 players to take pens who have not even touched the ball and then a 19 year old for the last pen as a cherry on the cake. How stupid you have to be to make a decision like that? :lol: