Southgate doesn’t get the credit he deserves

spiriticon

fecking terrible game management tonight.

I thought Ole's vs Villarreal was bad, my god, Southgate's had a stinker that beats that

Hammondo

I disagree with a lot of what people are saying here, I think subs aside he got it right.

They were a different league in terms of technically and ball keeping ability in their midfield and defence. The way they moved the ball was far better than anything we could do. We had to play counter attacking football. We defended really well, with all of their possession and technical ability they created little and we were comfortable most of the game. This was our best chance to win.

wise_old_man

People will defend him and say it’s a lottery but that is unforgivable for me and shows a complete lack of man management and even basic logic.

Two players who hadn’t even warmed up or gotten a bit of time on the pitch and an overawed youngster.

It should be unforgivable for England fans. I would always be doubting his judgement after that. Mind boggling and amateur, and I really don’t think that’s harsh.
I think Southgate has been jinxed ever since someone the CAF compared him to Ole. :lol:

MU655

This was the golden chance. Does anyone really believe that England are going to be serious contenders at the World Cup? So new contract for Southgate and more years of false dawns.
They have the players, but Southgate is crap. Will he be lucky again with the draw? Not enough is made of our easy runs. I think any manager would get as far with this squad.

Trequarista10

Three subs all missed pens, can't really blame that on Gareth.

However, failing to adjust to Italy dominating possession, leaving Mount on when his legs went at least 30 minutes earlier, choosing Saka as the first attacking sub...poor.

Overall, did an average job. Ultimately our weakest part of the team is centre midfield and he has to work with that limitation, a side with top ball players in midfield can squeeze us out of the game (Croatia 2018, Italy 2021) and Gareth found no solution.

GMoore23

He'll never recover from this. Played for penalties and got his just dessert. I don't think his players will have as much faith in him after this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Southgate has been England's weak point all tournament and it has come back to bite them in a competition they were more than good enough to win. That was England's best chance of winning a trophy I can remember and he botched it.

Negative, passive football that ultimately cost them here as they surrendered control of the game to Italy for far too long.

Some posters were blinded by getting wins against teams you were better than anyway, but those wins were in spite of the manager. When he started the tournament with Trippier over Shaw at LB alarm bells should have been ringing. Grealish starting on the bench constantly, persisting with the double DM midfield, not making the most of the attacking talent he had.....

BFernandes

Got to the final in spite of him. Cowardly tactics in the final and got played off the pitch but grinded out a penalty shoot out, and then made some idiotic decisions to set the penalty order.

This is on Southgate 100%. Without a doubt.
People have been saying this all tournament, but have been ridiculed. Hopefully now people will start to see this

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Doesn't get the credit he deserves :lol:

If you hire a clown, then expect a circus.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Grealish seriously killed his cat. This game was begging for Italy get a red card and he let him play for less than 30 minutes.

spiriticon

I disagree with a lot of what people are saying here, I think subs aside he got it right.

They were a different league in terms of technically and ball keeping ability in their midfield and defence. The way they moved the ball was far better than anything we could do. We had to play counter attacking football. We defended really well, with all of their possession and technical ability they created little and we were comfortable most of the game. This was our best chance to win.
Would have been a great idea... if we did any counter attacking at all.

Instead he turned us into Burnley in front of all of Europe. He can feck off.

Reiver

I honestly think hes one of the luckiest managers current plying his trade. No credentials that suggest he should get the job and has the easiest runs at major tournaments of any manager. I get that he fosters a good team spirit and hes likeable. But, if I were an England fan, I would rather an absolute cnut of a manager who was tactically sound.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Awful subs, Henderson was Jota levels of badness when he came on, Saka over the other attacking options? Awful

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Terrible in tacits: no pressing allowing italy to keep their fitness levels. Italy possession was more due to fitness strategy than tactical and Southgate just didn't react.

Stringer

I'm not an England fan at all but I was frustrated by his negativity tonight. Fair play on getting to the final but if I were an England fan I would still want to see him go and have a positive manager appointed. England have a lot of attacking talent which he has no idea or desire to utilize.

acnumber9

Bottled it. A real waste of all that attacking talent. If you want to win the game maybe bring Rashford and Sancho to win the game rather than take a penalty cold.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Three subs all missed pens, can't really blame that on Gareth.

However, failing to adjust to Italy dominating possession, leaving Mount on when his legs went at least 30 minutes earlier, choosing Saka as the first attacking sub...poor.

Overall, did an average job. Ultimately our weakest part of the team is centre midfield and he has to work with that limitation, a side with top ball players in midfield can squeeze us out of the game (Croatia 2018, Italy 2021) and Gareth found no solution.
How can you not? Two players he clearly didn’t trust, being brought on with no time to even get a touch and get warmed up, having to take two pressure pens.

And then Saka giving all the evidence in the world that the occasion was too much for him, from the moment he came on, being given such a massive pen.

It was moronic, there is definitely blame to give to Gareth on those decisions. Such poor planning and logic.

Godfather

Sad for England but not for Southgate. To play like pussies for the rest of the game after going in front after 2 mins is a fecking joke. Also to put players on only to take a pen without being able to kick a ball during the game is a cnut move as well. Not to speak of leaving the biggest talents England have on the bench for the whole tournament.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

But how do you explain what happened second half? Italy didn't score until 15 mins after changing their system. All that time they were ascending.

Southgate never once matched that change, he waits. They score...who does he bring on, baring in mind the possession was around 79% to them by then, Saka.

His game management was trash, the signs were there in the Denmark game, and I'd even argue the Germany one. He sets up well, but absolutely is clueless at a plan B.

And let's not even talk about the extra time stuff, it looks even worse for him and even you can't argue that!

shahzy

England used to have coward players and coward managers. Now they have good players but still a coward manager. To complete the full sweep they need to get rid of the coward management they've had

Cloud7

As always, down with defensive football and down with defensive managers.

Dr. StrangeHate

This f**** has put so much pressure on Rashford and Sancho and destroyed their confidence. He hasn't played them at all, and just throws them in like this. They already would be less confident seeing Mount and Saka stink up the joint for hours and still not getting a look in.

Judas

Open to offers
To only bring on two of the most dangerous attackers in world football with a couple of minutes left of ET sums Southgate up as a manager sadly. Such a limp way to lose a final.

alexthelion

That loss is all on Southgate. Fecked up the game plan, the substitutes and then expected the three youngest players, two of which hadn't even had time to warm up on the pitch, to bale him out in penalties.

Where were the experienced players hiding (well done Harry)?

TheGame

I honestly think hes one of the luckiest managers current plying his trade. No credentials that suggest he should get the job and has the easiest runs at major tournaments of any manager. I get that he fosters a good team spirit and hes likeable. But, if I were an England fan, I would rather an absolute cnut of a manager who was tactically sound.
He’s a good motivator but tactically he is inept. He has a dreadful club record.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Do people really think this England team is as good as it gets? I don't see any manager impact on that team. The only influence is Southgate went for defensive setup which got him to the final, but they also had unusually easy path to the final considering the rivals and stadiums they played at.

I think Southgate had a lot of luck this time and made some bad decisions in the final. But I also think this England team could be much better.

Dr. StrangeHate

How can your tactic be to defend a one goal lead for 88 minutes. Ridiculous.

Nothing I’ve seen in this tournament has made me change my opinion that he is wasting one of the best squads in world football, and they get where they are despite him, not because of him.

Special mention to sending an 18 year old out to take the final penalty because oh my god.
Sir Alex let Anderson and Nani take them but at least they were involved off and on. This was non-sensical.