Space Race

So is there someone we can watch the Bezos launch in case it explodes?

They're currently talking about how Neil Armstrong landed on the moon on the same day as they're doing this suborbital tourist flight. It's the same thing apparently.

I dont think they're even wearing helmets for this?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Must be a bit wild feeling three times your weight during the initial phase, then suddenly feeling weightless.

cj_sparky

Watched Austin Powers couple of nights ago. This rocket is perfect for the gags :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Actually mad how they can land the booster perfectly upright. Like something out of a sci-fi film.

Must be a bit wild feeling three times your weight during the initial phase, then suddenly feeling weightless.
The Saturn V was supposed to be absolutely brutal. I'd guess this New Shepard was pretty smooth, not especially powerful and no stages.

Wait, that's it?
Yes, none of these are capable of going to orbit. It's a few seconds in weightlessness. That's why people are saying it's just a billionaire's pissing contest rather than real space travel. Musk is the only one doing that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was about to post this. Meh to say the least.
Dunno how you can find anything like this meh tbh even if you hate Bezos. Very cool to be able to have everything land so safely.

nickm

Musk did it before, so obviously Bezos had to match him.
Not sure there is a better way of reusing components really, although I believe some refurbishing is still needed before the next flight. Read the plan is to have Super heavy land back where it started, refuel and take off again… which I’ll believe when I see it.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Dunno how you can find anything like this meh tbh even if you hate Bezos. Very cool to be able to have everything land so safely.
Not about Bezos at all (although I dislike him), I guess it's not just my sort of thing to get excited about. I caught it on cnn while having breakfast and all the hype they were putting into this made me think it would be something spectcular, so decided to wait. It was so fast and so low altitude, I'm disappointed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For me, this is not nearly as impressive as what Baumgartner did. Still boggles the mind that he pulled it off.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Was pretty amazing to see the rocket sit back down on the bullseye. I know Musk has done it before but I haven't watched any of his.