Gaming Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - October 20th 2023 | Metacritic: 90, OpenCritic: 90

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
This is a bit silly. It's possible to be immersed in a world based on rules already applied to it (superpowers, etc...) but it constantly being day time can also then take you out of it a bit.

I get immersed in Baldur's Gate that has wizards, devils, etc.. but if someone started talking about their iPhone that would take me out of it too. It's whatever is set within the rules of the world.
Fiction a new concept to you lads?
:houllier: So using your logic, let's have characters fly random and go through walls etc.
Jesus lads, it wasn’t meant to be taken overly seriously

hobbers

Think I paid £60 for the Miles Morales + Spiderman boxset when PS5 released. Combined story length probably 25 hours or so.

£70 for the same game in the same city and half that story length.. yeh nah.

kps88

Gets boring after a while doesn't it? Just end up spamming the same buttons for hours.
That's pretty much what the previous ones were as well. The main things that kept me hooked were the story and traversal system.

I'm not a fan of all the new gadgets and combat stuff in this one. Feels like they're turning him into Iron Man.

RedDevilRoshi

That's pretty much what the previous ones were as well. The main things that kept me hooked were the story and traversal system.

I'm not a fan of all the new gadgets and combat stuff in this one. Feels like they're turning him into Iron Man.
I agree with this, that’s been one of my gripes with this so far. Far too many gadgets which just makes it break character.

padzilla

Hipster
I found the praise for the Miles Morales game to be bizarre given it was basically hours of just spamming the same button to beat up identikit villains.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I found the praise for the Miles Morales game to be bizarre given it was basically hours of just spamming the same button to beat up identikit villains.
I’ve found all the games just be decent. There’s only so much you can do with the formula. I will get this when it goes on sale probably.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You forgot about the other buttons you could use?

Donut

I didn’t like the combat in the first one, there was no power behind the punches and you had to hit someone 30 times before they went down.

Spoony

The People's President
I’ve found all the games just be decent. There’s only so much you can do with the formula. I will get this when it goes on sale probably.
Yeah but slinging through Manhatten-lite was fun(I've only played MM). Not many games have felt as liberating(if that's right the word I'm looking for).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I enjoyed both the Spider Man and Mile Morales games, though the later was too short for my liking, but Rocksteady's Batman games are still the pinnacle.

amolbhatia50k

Ah yes, I should have said buttons but the game was massively repetitive to say the least and there wasn't variety in the combat.
I didn’t think it was an issue. Not very different from the Arkham games or other narrative based action games. It’s no God of War but still highly enjoyable imo. Were these bloated 80 hour assassins creed style experiences I’d see the point but for what they are, it fits. IMO.

Besides the game is a lot more than that - it’s about the cinematic quality, narrative, characters and of course the lovely traversal. Mind you I’m still talking about the first two - from all accounts this has taken most elements up a notch or two.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Haven't bought it yet, but I will do soon. Seems like it's getting a bit of a mixed response in here. The reviews seem great though. I loved the first one, so can't see myself not liking this.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I didn’t like the combat in the first one, there was no power behind the punches and you had to hit someone 30 times before they went down.
Yeah I wasn't a fan either. I thought it was all very basic, got miles morales with the ps5 and never bothered with it past the first hour.

Just a game that's not for me.

Woodzy

Great so far but I’m just not sure how much more arsed I can be for the combat. I just want to progress the story and swing.

Fully Fledged

The first video, checked his other videos and he just seems to hit gaming and is one of the most annoying pricks I've ever listened to. It's as if he doesn't understand how to use volume in his voice properly. Squeeling little prick.
But that was 1 video there are loads of others all full of game breaking bugs.

Woodzy

Not really a spoiler but better to be safe

The game has basically done the exact same thing as the first in tricking to you into thinking you are near the end and turns out you are probably not even half way through.

Also I love the other Spider-man randomly showing up at street crimes at the same time, so much fun.

Woodzy

Finished the story. I haven’t binged a game like this in years. The story, bosses, set pieces and surprises are all incredible.

Game is marginally let down by repetitive combat, side missions and minor bugs but honestly, it’s not worth caring about for how good the rest is

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Finished the story. I haven’t binged a game like this in years. The story, bosses, set pieces and surprises are all incredible.

Game is marginally let down by repetitive combat, side missions and minor bugs but honestly, it’s not worth caring about for how good the rest is
I binged it too. I've even got the platinum, already! It's super easy if anyone wants to go for it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I did come across a number of bugs, though.

Woodzy

I binged it too. I've even got the platinum, already! It's super easy if anyone wants to go for it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I did come across a number of bugs, though.
I just really couldn’t be bothered to keep beating up the same sets of thugs for the side missions. Although I did see a little spoiler for The Flame side quest in the end credits and now I’m intrigued to do that quest line.

AaronRedDevil

Probably the fastest ive ever completed a game. Took 15 hours to finish the story. The boss battles were amazing. But yeah I see the complaint of the controls. Just resting square got repetitive fast. Tries doing everything else but it ends with it. Great story and characters. The Web swinging somehow got better and it feels awesome.

My one other nitpick. They didn't have my favourite suit from the last game in it. The spider Armour MK3 suit. Also what suit did you guys wear in 2? I loved the Cape one. Always wanted to try it out. The black and mostly white suit for Miles. Can't remember the name

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I think they missed a trick here in not having this be co-op being able to play with a friend as Miles and Peter at the same time

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
PlayStation congrats emails need some work. I got one from Sony saying 'Well done on beating Spider-Man 2. Now, go for the platinum.' I got that yesterday!

Does anyone actually like the mini games?
They were pretty lame. Easy too.

Btw, I played the whole main campaign before unlocking fast travel on any part of the map. Anyone else do that? The first time I did use fast travel, though, I was so impressed. Crazy good tech.

Bebe

Housemate is playing this, the intro sequence with
Sandman
looked awesome. Glad to hear that people are liking the story - I'm very down for a good Venom tale.

Does MJ look as bad as the screenshots on social media seem? Her face and Peter's hair both look odd imo

Redstain

Probably no more than two hours in story wise but have explored the city and it's very good. The combat on the spectacular is spongy, takes a little while to wear down an enemy but multiple web-shooting while throwing the enemy into the environment seems to cut the time for the combat mechanics.

Really too early on to give any in-depth feedback but for me it's definitely better than the two previous titles, the speed of the game (combat and when travelling) is a massive improvement on the previous titles. It's also interesting to see the respective styles both Peter and Myles have, though the combat buttons are the same they have different characteristics, Myles feels elusive and explosive while Peter more methodical.

I can to a very small extent understand others saying it's repetitive, but it's more Ghost of Tsushima repetitive compared to Ubisoft Assassin's Creed repetitive (absolute boredom). The story this far has also for me been unpredictable, didn't expect to see the characters that are revealed early doors and the stories that revolve around them.

amolbhatia50k

Probably no more than two hours in story wise but have explored the city and it's very good. The combat on the spectacular is spongy, takes a little while to wear down an enemy but multiple web-shooting while throwing the enemy into the environment seems to cut the time for the combat mechanics.

Really too early on to give any in-depth feedback but for me it's definitely better than the two previous titles, the speed of the game (combat and when travelling) is a massive improvement on the previous titles. It's also interesting to see the respective styles both Peter and Myles have, though the combat buttons are the same they have different characteristics, Myles feels elusive and explosive while Peter more methodical.

I can to a very small extent understand others saying it's repetitive, but it's more Ghost of Tsushima repetitive compared to Ubisoft Assassin's Creed repetitive (absolute boredom). The story this far has also for me been unpredictable, didn't expect to see the characters that are revealed early doors and the stories that revolve around them.
I haven’t played this one yet but the repetitive stuff matters a lot less when it’s a concise and exciting 15 hour game full of momentum as opposed to a 100 hour bloated slog. That’s how I felt with the other recent Insomniac titles too - they’re so well made and have such a fantastic surge forwards that the combat feeds perfectly well into that. At the end of the day both games (Rachet and Spidey) were ultimately a blast - I enjoyed combat in both even if it’s not top tier.

Ghost of Tsushima’s combat is *chefs kiss*. One of the best out there imo.

Redstain

I haven’t played this one yet but the repetitive stuff matters a lot less when it’s a concise and exciting 15 hour game full of momentum as opposed to a 100 hour bloated slog. That’s how I felt with the other recent Insomniac titles too - they’re so well made and have such a fantastic surge forwards that the combat feeds perfectly well into that. At the end of the day both games (Rachet and Spidey) were ultimately a blast - I enjoyed combat in both even if it’s not top tier.

Agreed and GOT is fantastic

caid

I felt a lot more neutral towards all of them. GoT probably suffered from being played shortly after sekiro but i just wasn't too enthusiastic about it at any point to be honest, open world fatigue. It kind of kept its head above water despite that and I quite enjoyed it without it changing my mind that it was pretty shallow and empty. I'm not sure it being free on PSN helped ultimately. I kind of feel if it cost 20 quid, I would have waited till i was more amenable to it. It'd fare well for someone who isn't burnt out on the genre and be one of the better examples.
Spiderman games were fine, middle of the road stuff. All of them i'd say are a fine way to fill a gap between games I'd be much more enthusiastic about.