Film Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Trailer just dropped:

First once was excellent, probably edges it as my favourite Spiderman film. Hopefully this is even better.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'll watch it off the strength of the first and I barely watch anything anymore, certainly not the regular superhero stuff.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Feel like this might suffer a bit from the fact I'll expect it to be very good this time, as opposed to the first where I was genuinely surprised how good it was.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Feel like this might suffer a bit from the fact I'll expect it to be very good this time, as opposed to the first where I was genuinely surprised how good it was.
Bit like the dark knight returns and the dark knight (albeit both at sequels).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not spoiling and watching the trailer. First was great so I will watch it based on that.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Just watched it, it’s the best spider man movie easily.
fecking hell, splitting this into two movies is a wank move if you’re not expecting it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't get why they don't make more animated Marvel movies. It seems like a more natural format for the type of stories they're telling and the fact they CGI-tise the shit out of them anyway.

kps88

fecking hell, splitting this into two movies is a wank move if you’re not expecting it.
Yuuup. They should have added a "Part 1" in the title so I could have prepared myself. I spent the last 20 minutes wondering how they were going to wrap everything up.

I enjoyed it but the splitting in two really didn't land. You still need to have some resolution/satisfaction at the end.

Andersons Dietician

Agreed!! Especially with the bit you had in the spoiler as I was in the same boat. :lol:

Artistically it’s incredible, spiderman LSD. Just visually spectacular so even without the storyline it’s worth seeing for that alone.

Was sitting watching it thinking this has been going on for a long time and it’s not really reached the final phase, was worried they were going to some how ruin it by rushing the end. But then the fecking to be continued popped up. Livid!!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don't get why they don't make more animated Marvel movies. It seems like a more natural format for the type of stories they're telling and the fact they CGI-tise the shit out of them anyway.
Because animated movies don’t make anywhere near enough the money normal ones do.

crappycraperson

Scout
creator had advertised it before hand. Not sure if it even should be a spoiler?

kps88

Because animated movies don’t make anywhere near enough the money normal ones do.
You're right in general but this one is a big exception. Its opening weekend is actually on track to match/beat the new Ant Man and Guardians movies.

We could see a push towards more animation with both this and Mario outperforming recent Marvel releases.

crappycraperson

Scout
You're right in general but this one is a big exception. Its opening weekend is actually on track to match/beat the new Ant Man and Guardians movies.

We could see a push towards more animation with both this and Mario outperforming recent Marvel releases.
Yeah, this one will gross big and so will the third part. But there is no pattern to suggest that same will be true for all animation movies or this is a unique case due to the hype this one had as a result of the groundbreaking nature of the first movie. Mario has its own unique fanbase who play the Mario party game. Marvel may launch an animation-verse as a response but don't see them doing away with real action movies all together.

Swedish_Plumber

Donald glover cameo was unexpected. He’s maybe the coolest man on the planet.
Was not expecting the TBC at the end either. Was a fantastic film. Beats the first one which I thought was the best spidey film ever!

Big Andy

Bloke
Really enjoyed it, took the kids who loved the first one, which I haven't actually seen yet, so some of the character reveals didn't hit with me, but my son explained them all to me in great detail afterwards, the nerd.

Visually stunning.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of the best movies I’ve seen this year. Would give it a 9/10.

Reiver

Took my boy out of school yesterday to go and see it. Excellent film, great art style to it - like the first - and (given the next one is out in March) the story really has room to develop.

9/10

Superunknown

Watched the first one again yesterday in preparation for the second one tonight. It's so good. Must've seen it about 3 or 4 times now. :drool:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Why is this thread on page 2??

What a ride. Loved it. It was breakneck though so I'm sure I'll spot tons of things on a re-watch.

The only (minor) criticism is the dramatic moments overload in the last 10 or so minutes. It felt like it dragged an otherwise insanely paced movie.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Saw this yesterday and it's entertaining with great animation but that ending sure did suck. It feels like the movie is built up differently to your average marvel movie until that point where the veneer is lifted and they're like yeah this is a continuation so you'll have to watch the next one. The problem is that I don't think a single plot point is resolved and they add tons more in those last ten minutes. I honestly thought it was a joke at first as the movie is quite self-referential in places.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why is this thread on page 2??

What a ride. Loved it. It was breakneck though so I'm sure I'll spot tons of things on a re-watch.

The only (minor) criticism is the dramatic moments overload in the last 10 or so minutes. It felt like it dragged an otherwise insanely paced movie.
Agree, that's the only thing stopping me giving it a 10.

youngrell

Thought it was great. Once again, blown away by the animation. Every single frame has so much going on and I can't imagine the amount of work that was put into creating it. Visually stunning.

Had no idea about the third part but was glad to find out as was worrying about a rushed ending and also we get to see another one of these masterpieces :drool:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought it was fantastic. The animation, the music, the sound... all absolutely top notch.

This surely has to get an Oscar nom for sound mixing/editing

kps88

This surely has to get an Oscar nom for sound mixing/editing
Funnily enough, there were a lot of complaints about the sound mixing and the volume being too low. So much so that the producers started telling people to tell their cinema to play it at a certain volume. I read they later fixed the issue and sent out a new print so you maybe saw the fixed version.

It didn't ruin anything for me but I definitely felt like the volume was a tad lower than it should have been.

youngrell

Funnily enough, there were a lot of complaints about the sound mixing and the volume being too low. So much so that the producers started telling people to tell their cinema to play it at a certain volume. I read they later fixed the issue and sent out a new print so you maybe saw the fixed version.

It didn't ruin anything for me but I definitely felt like the volume was a tad lower than it should have been.
I noticed the voices seemed a tad quiet in the opening scenes, to the point I was thinking it was a poor performance from the voice actor playing Gwen, but I either adjusted to it or it improved quite quickly.

Andy_Cole

Mine was fine when I watched

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Ah that explains why it was so shit when I watched it then. Genuinely thought about getting up and asking someone if they could turn it up. Was weird.

Herman Toothrot

I think I preferred the first one, but that may change depending on how they stick the landing in the third one. Easily the second-best Spider-Man film ever made.

TsuWave

Movie was incredible.

Miles is going to end up with the best spider-man trilogy if the 3rd lives up to the first two. He already has the two best spider-man films.