Film Spider-man: No Way Home

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah no. MCU has made about 5x as much money as DC (their movie universe) whilst actually making good films along the the way. They don't do that by concerning themselves with what DC are doing. It's very much the other way around.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Yeah no. MCU has made about 5x as much money as DC (their movie universe) whilst actually making good films along the the way. They don't do that by concerning themselves with what DC are doing. It's very much the other way around.
Yeah, no. That's just not how companies operate. Companies stay at the forefront even when they're market leaders by taking great note of what their competitors are doing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, no. That's just not how companies operate. Companies stay at the forefront even when they're market leaders by taking great note of what their competitors are doing.
The problem with your argument is that the MCU laid the seeds for this with Endgame in 2019 - and then fully leaned in with Loki last year. Hard to say it's reactionary on that basis, especially when the multiverse was introduced in Marvel comics in the 70s.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
There's a difference between being concerned and taking note. I very much doubt Disney/marvel looked at DCs upcoming flash movie and thought, we need to rush this out before them.

flameinthesun

You really think marvel gives two shits what DC are doing in their "universe"?
Feige pushed civil war in part to match Batman v Superman. Its been reported that he does keep an eye on them to try and make sure they get
Civil War was in part a response to Batman v Superman, there were numerous reports saying he wanted to get it out before BvS. Its not a coincidence that both DC and Marvel did hero v hero in the same year and are both doing multiverse plots. The flashpoint movie was talked about for ages before they started filming. It is smart from Feige to try and bring comic ideas to market first. Both DC and Marvel have a lot of crossover in terms of storylines and heroes so it would also make business for Marvel to try to pip DC to the post on key storylines.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I really enjoyed it, though had to ignore the forced plot at times. The whole casting the spell at both the start and the end don't hold up to much scrutiny if you actually think about it logically. There is zero reason Strange would be casting that spell to start it all off, and then at the end there are plenty of other ways to solve the situation if the spell works. Ie just cast it as he wanted at the start, with everyone except MJ etc forgetting. Job done, and no need to worry about your friends forgetting you.

Really liked what they did with the different villains, particularly what they did with Dr Oct

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finally watched it.

loads of fun even if you could pick the whole thing apart pretty easily, but who cares.

also stand by that Garfield was the best Spider-Man and unlucky to get the worst films.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I watched this last night and was utterly disappointed after all the hype. Outside of the nostalgia of the old boys returning, this was a very average Spider-Man film.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
After all the hype I thought this would be fantastic. I’m currently half way through and I am finding it difficult to finish. It’s fecking terrible. Tobey Maguire’s acting is just appalling.

Edit: finished it. Just a heaping pile of atrocious garbage. I hated the plot, Tobey Maguire, J.Jonah Jameson, the “villains”. I think Ned was the only thing I liked about the entire film. I’m almost angry it was so bad. Felt like a huge step backwards towards the schlocky Sam Raimi movies and away from the MCU.

Hated it.

Phase 4 for Marvel has been an abomination so far. Black Widow, Eternals and now this crap. Three really shit films. Have to hope that the new Dr. Strange movie, and especially Thor Love and Thunder, can arrest this alarming decline.

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
The whole casting the spell at both the start and the end don't hold up to much scrutiny if you actually think about it logically. There is zero reason Strange would be casting that spell to start it all off
Yet to be seen, the thinking seems to be that

Strange is aware of the threat of Kang after what Loki did and deliberately wants to open the multiverse (which they'll go more into in DS2: Multiverse of Madness) to recruit variants of heroes to fight all of Kangs variants

So can't really judge that yet.

But yeah the spell itself at the end was unnecessary, he already showed he had the ability to tailor it, he could just have tailored it himself so at least he didn't forget.

Ainu

Guess I better spoiler the whole thing since people seem to be doing that here.

So I finally watched this and I can't deny it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Obviously it's one of the most fan-service-y movies that has ever existed and some of it worked, some of it didn't. Matt Murdock was a surprise to me and as someone who really loved Daredevil and was saddened by the show's cancellation, it made me pretty excited. And then we never see him again. Other then getting my hopes up for future Daredevil content (which will probably be crushed or something), it felt pointless. On the other hand, Andrew Garfield saving MJ was about as subtle as a brick to the face, but it still worked. I always had a soft spot for his Spider-Man and he gets one of the best scenes here.

The ending though, is problematic. I simply can't stand these type of ending where tons of character relationship building is pretty much snapped out of existence. Not because it's not a "happy" ending, but because it devalues previous movies and scenes and worse, because it means we can look forward to having to build those relationships all over again in the next movie(s). The worst thing about this movie is that it has actively made me not look forward to the next. I just don't see how that's ever a desirable situation.

So yeah, decent movie, I'll probably never watch it again and I'm meh on future stuff. Give me Into the Spider-Verse 2 now please. Oh and a new season of Daredevil.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just watched. Average film made entertaining by clawbacks to some other average films.

Basically a pretty good and ambitious idea (which a cartoon film already did, and much better), with an absolutely terrible plot thrown around it. Chucking so many Easter eggs and decent actors into the recipe just managed to drag it up a good few levels and mask a lot of the problems.

The ending devalued all of the last two Spiderman films. Didn't see what point it served. No pay off for the characters who were "saved" either since we have bugger all idea what happened to any of them and no real reason to care.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't get into all the Marvel Vs DC bickering but the thing is, if DC released a film of equal calibre to this, it'd be slated I reckon.

It was so all over the place. I mean who even won in the end?

decorativeed

I don't get into all the Marvel Vs DC bickering but the thing is, if DC released a film of equal calibre to this, it'd be slated I reckon.

It was so all over the place. I mean who even won in the end?
It's definitely the weakest Spider-man film in a while, and the influence of the studio-heads at Sony is more evident than ever. I'd like to think that if it were solely Marvel Studios in charge, they'd have gone for a simpler and more self-contained story. I don't really want to see anything that attempts to fix the damage of previous shite films by legitimatising them through the lens of the MCU.

There were scattered good moments in it, and Defoe steals every scene he's in, but I wish they'd have let the likes of the Lizard, Sandman and older iterations of the hero stay in the past where they belong. The Amazing Spider-Man films were absolute shit, and I hope they don't get tempted to revive them in some way following this.

Jev

Wasn't this thread mostly universal praise for the first several pages? Is it the home-watching crowd catching up?

decorativeed

Wasn't this thread mostly universal praise for the first several pages? Is it the home-watching crowd catching up?
I watched it at the cinema with the kids then watched it at home the other day. I think my original viewing was elevated by the fact I was back in the cinema for the first time in 2 years.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maguire looked like your alcoholic uncle and Garfield seemed to break into tears with each scene he was in. Apart from that it was enjoyable enough.

SirAnderson

How the feck is this garbage pulling an 8.6 on IMDb and in the 90s % on RT. I could barely get myself to finish it, had to watch it over 2 days cause something more interesting came along.
The best part of this move was way after the credits rolled and we got a glimpse of a Dr Strange tease, that was the best part hands down.
Sheesh, 8.6...from over half a mill reviews, still can't believe it.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Love some of the Marvel fanboys comments in here. The movie was shit because of Sony - it's not Marvel's fault :lol:

phelans shorts

How the feck is this garbage pulling an 8.6 on IMDb and in the 90s % on RT. I could barely get myself to finish it, had to watch it over 2 days cause something more interesting came along.
The best part of this move was way after the credits rolled and we got a glimpse of a Dr Strange tease, that was the best part hands down.
Marvel branding gets just about everything at that level, especially a beloved character like Spider-Man. Let’s be real though, this thing didn’t manage to so much as lay a glove on Into the Spiderverse.

I don’t think I came out of watching this thinking so much as a single character looked any better than an utter raving imbecile, probably top of that list being Strange (who I never liked as a character anyway, but that is what it is). It is a film that as you watch it is largely a fine and fun kids film, but when it’s part of a “cinematic universe” that’s not being aimed at 8 year olds it really doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

It’s like Marvel are starting to hit the point where they’re massively effected by the difference in mediums that is comics vs movies. In comics everything reverts back to how it was before, in movies things are supposed to progress and it’s hard to see how they can manage to keep the two very different approaches colliding without a massive loss of interest.

decorativeed

Love some of the Marvel fanboys comments in here. The movie was shit because of Sony - it's not Marvel's fault :lol:
Take it that's aimed at me? I don't think Marvel are faultless and everything they touch turns to gold, but I also have seen much of Sony's output over the last 10 years, and it's been largely abject dross. Their Amazing Spider-man movies, the Venom movies, Men in Black International, Holmes and Watson, shitty remakes/reboots of Ghostbusters, Charlie's Angels, Robocop and Total Recall etc.

I've also been keeping abreast of their projects that didn't make it - the Men in Black vs 21 Jump Street type of stuff. They really wanted to spin their Amazing Spider-man stuff off into a Sinister Six movie, which is obviously the genesis of No Way Home. It's clearly a studio who don't have a clue how to use their IPs to make a good movie. Into the Spider-Verse is currently the notable exception to that rule.

I just think Marvel would have given us something a bit more focused, as they really went out of their way under the previous deal with Sony to deliberately show us stuff that hadn't been seen on screen before, and not to retread old ground.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How the feck is this garbage pulling an 8.6 on IMDb
Kids. I don't blame them since if they're anything like mine they'll think that Marvel invented cinema and their benchmark for an average film is that second Thor movie. One of them asked me why I was playing a game rip-off of the Thor movies the other week; it was God of fecking War ffs.

SirAnderson

Kids. I don't blame them since if they're anything like mine they'll think that Marvel invented cinema and their benchmark for an average film is that second Thor movie. One of them asked me why I was playing a game rip-off of the Thor movies the other week; it was God of fecking War ffs.
:lol: Damn.

IMDb is almost always been a reliable rating service for me, but when I saw that shite I couldn't believe it.

But if you look at RT even the critics have it highly rated, but then again, critics have been so far from audiences in recent years, I don't blame them.

Sylar

This movie was great fun and almost exactly what it should / could have been

Almost cos strange really could have been used better

decorativeed

:lol: Damn.

IMDb is almost always been a reliable rating service for me, but when I saw that shite I couldn't believe it.

But if you look at RT even the critics have it highly rated, but then again, critics have been so far from audiences in recent years, I don't blame them.
It's never been anywhere near that, especially for big new releases. Look at how skewed towards recent films the top 250 is, for example.

SirAnderson

It's never been anywhere near that, especially for big new releases. Look at how skewed towards recent films the top 250 is, for example.
Yeah I meant for me personally. I always watch movies above 6.5 only and series above 7.5 and it's treated me okay. But I still watch most of the blockbusters, this is the messed up I've seen it in a long while.

Parma Dewol

Thought this would be fun but didn't enjoy it. Maybe the superhero era is starting to wear thin.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, absolutely crazy. Finally watched it over the weekend and i was expecting much more - especially based on the reviews on those sites and even on the first few pages of this thread.

Definitely a disappointment and outside of the nostalgia (& Dafoe) saving it a little (Garfield was my favorite Spider-Man & I liked Daredevil so seeing that actor make a cameo was a bonus) it barely registers above a 5/10 for me. Struggled watching it all the way through in 1 sitting, in fairness.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Post credit scenes are always the most fun for me in these films. I'm a massive fan of the Venom films, and althought the first Doctor Strange film wasnt near the top of my favourites, the sequel looks like it could be very good indeed

JoaquinJoaquin

Thought this would be fun but didn't enjoy it. Maybe the superhero era is starting to wear thin.
I do feel like it all peaked with the final Avengers stuff, and some of the Marvel 'next wave' films just doesn't look interesting, but I enjoyed this film.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Finally watched it at the weekend - I thought it started very well but then as the movie went on I found myself losing interest and getting a little bored. It's a 5/6 out of 10 movie for me - some nice nostalgia moments of course but I expected a lot more especially after all the hype.