Spurs 2018/19

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
See post of St Red on the previous page. Whether he'd take the Utd job if offered to him.
Difficult to know, he certainly wouldn't take it mid season and I doubt Woody would look forward to negotiating with Levy. Poch still hasn't won anything which IMO immediately rules him out as a contender.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Eh. I take it you missed @St Red sticking the boot in about United and Moyes first?

Not sure why you lot can't just enjoy your team playing well and United struggling without acting like fools across the forum. This is the Spurs thread and last night and today it's been Liverpool fans derailing it.
What do you expect?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Difficult to know, he certainly wouldn't take it mid season and I doubt Woody would look forward to negotiating with Levy. Poch still hasn't won anything which IMO immediately rules him out as a contender.
He has, or at least is building up, the credentials for a team like United to completely back him in a transfer window at the moment though. He has his own vision and certain style of play and clearly gets (close to) the best out of his players. I can imagine he had his eye on a few players that he wanted to bring in during the summer, but he hasn't complained one bit so far. If Spurs are not willing (or financially unable) to back him, he might hit his ceiling at the club sooner or later.

Agree that he wouldn't take the United job mid-season though, but United would be mad not to make at least a query should they be looking for a new manager next summer imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He has, or at least is building up, the credentials for a team like United to completely back him in a transfer window at the moment though. He has his own vision and certain style of play and clearly gets (close to) the best out of his players. I can imagine he had his eye on a few players that he wanted to bring in during the summer, but he hasn't complained one bit so far. If Spurs are not willing (or financially unable) to back him, he might hit his ceiling at the club sooner or later.

Agree that he wouldn't take the United job mid-season though, but United would be mad not to make at least a query should they be looking for a new manager next summer imo.
I think the whole no signings thing is blown out of proportion, his comments after the game last night showed a togetherness in the club. Yes he would want signings but not anymore filler dead wood we have bought lately.

finneh

Mourino has net spent £315m on transfers in the two years since he took
over. That's more than six times as much as Pochettino has net spent in four years. Averaged out per year, means that Mourinho has spent more than twelve times as much per year in net terms.

If you figure in the wages bill too, then the comparison goes off the charts.

Should anyone in their right mind be comparing this?
Hardly a fair comparison considering Pochettino inherited the best part of half a billion worth of outfield talent in Kane, Erikson, Verthonghen, Dembele & Walker. Mourinho on the other hand did not inherit a single player who you'd class as a comparable first team outfield player.

Out of the following list I imagine the bolded would be the only players that you'd be happy with Spurs purchasing for £25m+, both of which are very inexperienced players: Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Valencia, Blind, Young, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini, Mata, Depay, Januzaj, Carrick, Rooney, Lingard, Martial, Rashford

You can argue a managers job is to improve the team and I'd agree (for what it's worth I think several players such as Rojo, Young, Lingard, Herrera & Rashford have improved), but I think anyone looking at that list would see a team in need of huge investment in order to compete at the top, solely due to an absolutely abhorrent recruitment policy with Van Gaal in charge.

I really think people underestimate the rebuild that was necessary post Van Gaal as well as the achievement in getting 81 points with our squad last season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Hardly a fair comparison considering Pochettino inherited the best part of half a billion worth of outfield talent in Kane, Erikson, Verthonghen, Dembele & Walker. Mourinho on the other hand did not inherit a single player who you'd class as a comparable first team outfield player.

Out of the following list I imagine the bolded would be the only players that you'd be happy with Spurs purchasing for £25m+, both of which are very inexperienced players: Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Valencia, Blind, Young, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini, Mata, Depay, Mkhitaryan, Januzaj, Carrick, Rooney, Martial, Rashford

You can argue a managers job is to improve the team and I'd agree, but I think anyone looking at that list would see a team in need of huge investment in order to compete at the top, solely due to an absolutely abhorrent recruitment policy with Van Gaal in charge.

I really think people underestimate the rebuild that was necessary post Van Gaal as well as the achievement in getting 81 points with our squad last season.

He 'inherited' a team in an absolute mess, previously led by two inept managers in Sherwood & AVB, with the club directionless and weighed down by utter trash players like Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue etc, who didn't even want to play for the club. The likes of Walker/Dembele were not playing well before Pochettino took over, he developed these players and made them better, the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Vert etc have been massively improved by Pochettino. They weren't considered some of the best in the league when he took over, even Eriksen who was always rated highly was considered an inconsistent talent who went missing far too often.

You could easily have looked at our team when Pochettino took over and gone 'this needs huge investment', so easily, and I bet loads of people were saying exactly that. Our lineup when we beat Villa 3-0 under Sherwood was:

Lloris, Naughton, Sandro, Dawson, Chriches, Sigurdsson, Kane, Adebayor, Eriksen.

We had plenty of holes in our team. Some talented players? No doubt, but very little quality in depth at all, and most of our talent was raw or in need of revitalising. I think you're arguing with benefit of hindsight and don't realise at the time how much we needed a rebuild, most people would have said we totally wasted the Bale money and our time as a top 4 challenger had ended. Pochettino turned that around.

I agree with @SquishyMcSquish LVG was appointed at the same time Poch came to Spurs he had a much worse squad. Poch spent time actually developing and improving the players whereas all LVG did is waste money on average players.

Walker, Rose etc had no clue what they were doing until Poch came a long, what you see now is them reaping the benefits of having a good coach and the club having a long term plan.

finneh

He 'inherited' a team in an absolute mess, previously led by two inept managers in Sherwood & AVB, with the club directionless and weighed down by utter trash players like Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue etc, who didn't even want to play for the club. The likes of Walker/Dembele were not playing well before Pochettino took over, he developed these players and made them better, the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Vert etc have been massively improved by Pochettino. They weren't considered some of the best in the league when he took over, even Eriksen who was always rated highly was considered an inconsistent talent who went missing far too often.

You could easily have looked at our team when Pochettino took over and gone 'this needs huge investment', so easily, and I bet loads of people were saying exactly that. Our lineup when we beat Villa 3-0 under Sherwood was:

Lloris, Naughton, Sandro, Dawson, Chriches, Sigurdsson, Kane, Adebayor, Eriksen.

We had plenty of holes in our team. Some talented players? No doubt, but very little quality in depth at all, and most of our talent was raw or in need of revitalising. I think you're arguing with benefit of hindsight and don't realise at the time how much we needed a rebuild, most people would have said we totally wasted the Bale money and our time as a top 4 challenger had ended. Pochettino turned that around.
I absolutely agree that Pochettino has hugely improved many players. Likewise I'm aware that Spurs were in a mess due to poor manager selection. However I still maintain that you can't point to one of those United players who had the potential of Kane, Erikson, Walker & peak Dembele. Can anyone really say irrespective of manager improvement that Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Januzaj, Carrick, Rooney, Fellaini, Blind, Young, Rojo, Jones, Smalling & Valencia could be great players in a title winning team?

I absolutely believe the likes of Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Herrera & Mata would be very good squad players to have, but can you really say that Valencia could perform like Walker under Pochettino? Or that Schneiderlin could perform like Dembele? Or that Januzaj could perform like Erikson? Could Rojo perform like Verthongen? Could Rooney have been revitalised to perform like Kane? Of course not.

The likes of Depay, Januzaj, Rojo, Schneiderlin & Darmian simply weren't or aren't good enough. The likes of Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Carrick were simply past it. Then you look at the likes of Valencia, Young, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Herrera, Mata & Fellaini... Do I believe Pochettino would be getting much more out of them? Maybe slight improvements to some of them but I can't see those players capable of huge improvements.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I absolutely agree that Pochettino has hugely improved many players. Likewise I'm aware that Spurs were in a mess due to poor manager selection. However I still maintain that you can't point to one of those United players who had the potential of Kane, Erikson, Walker & peak Dembele. Can anyone really say irrespective of manager improvement that Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Januzaj, Carrick, Rooney, Fellaini, Blind, Young, Rojo, Jones, Smalling & Valencia could be great players in a title winning team?

I absolutely believe the likes of Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Herrera & Mata would be very good squad players to have, but can you really say that Valencia could perform like Walker under Pochettino? Or that Schneiderlin could perform like Dembele? Or that Januzaj could perform like Erikson? Could Rojo perform like Verthongen? Could Rooney have been revitalised to perform like Kane? Of course not.

The likes of Depay, Januzaj, Rojo, Schneiderlin & Darmian simply weren't or aren't good enough. The likes of Rooney, Schweinsteiger and Carrick were simply past it. Then you look at the likes of Valencia, Young, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Herrera, Mata & Fellaini... Do I believe Pochettino would be getting much more out of them? Maybe slight improvements to some of them but I can't see those players capable of huge improvements.
I simply think we don't know .. do I think Pochettino could have got more out of the likes of Januzaj, Shaw, Rashford, Martial and Depay? I think that it is possible. I also think he'd do well with players like Mata and Herrera, but at this point its all just guesswork. We don't know how things could have gone. I just don't think it's right to act as if Pochettino 'inherited' ready made players, when most of the talent you mentioned I believe owe their development to Pochettino. The facts are he inherited a team with a ton of trash throughout, which had finished below Everton and was routinely getting destroyed. He totally revitalised that.

And yeah, then we do have to consider the fact that in his first season Mourinho brought in talent like Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic and Bailly. Guys who were some of the star players/great talents for top clubs across Europe, then again brought in the likes of Sanchez, Matic and Lukaku, three star players in the Premier League. It's his job as a manager to improve these players yet many have regressed almost beyond recognition under his management, whereas players who were written off when Pochettino took over are now considered up there with the best. Would anyone have swapped Shaw for Young when Pochettino took over, or Martial for Alli?

I rate Mourinho, he's had a fantastic career and I do believe the problems at United cannot be solely attributed to his management. But Pochettino did not have an easier job than him when both took over, maybe in terms of media scrutiny/pressure Mourinho has it harder, but he had far more resources at his disposal and many players who were considered very talented when he became manager. Again, I don't want to make this a Mourinho vs Pochettino thread (Said it time and time again, I feel like there's enough places to have Mourinho discussion!) but honestly I don't think some people appreciate how hard a job Pochettino had when he took over. Things look great now only because of his excellent management.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Very happy that we have started the season well, last few seasons we've had to play catch up, and although we ultimately managed to hit a form that could see us winning the title we were always too far behind to truly challenge (Leicester, Chelsea and Man City). Lots of football left to play, but I'm very happy with the start, something that has been annoying me for the last 3 seasons. Pochettino continues to impress me, as does the players. I hope we can manage a seamless transition into the new stadium.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is often said, but the players we signed included Eriksen and Lamela using that money, so it wasn't all wasted.
I agree, but at the time that wasn't the perception, Pochettino turned that round by turning Lamela in to a useful player and improving Eriksen.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Spurs were fecking average before Poch. He turned them into an actual quality team. He is a very good manager and will surely make the step up to a club that provides him a bigger budget.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Pochettino has done a wonderful job at Spurs. I doubt it's possible to find a single Spurs fan, who would trade him for anybody. Surely Real Madrid bound at some point.

Very impressed by their game last night. There is a tough mentality in the team, an area where they have lacked previously.

Early days, but so far they look no worse than City or Liverpool despite spending nothing in the summer.

More important than no signings, is that they've managed to keep their best players. Surely a well run club.

Zen

Is it a common thing for Pochettino to get called "MoPo" ? Or was I just listening blindly to idiots on talksport earlier?

Thought it was "Poch" meself

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

We had plenty of holes in our team.
Definitely two holes in your team lineup there pal

smallsnc

Supports
Tottenham
Poch, IMO, will not go to Real Madrid or Barca for that matter as he will not have the same influence to get the "star" players to work in the manner that his current squad does. When he arrived at Spurs, some of the players did not believe in his training methods (the veterans) so he benched them and then had Levy sell them. Today's squad sees the benefits of his methods and have bought in with positive results. It takes young, hungry players that are willing to allow him to build a culture like he currently has at Spurs. At the biggest clubs, the players hold the cards not the managers because of the massive investments in the squad. It would be very difficult if not impossible to get them to change to follow his methods.

On the other hand, after in their current situation, the Man Utd players might welcome some positive direction. Just don't think Poch would like the project.

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
i think Tottenham have had a fantastic start to the season and it's great to see plenty of competition for the top spot/top four. This is what makes the PL interesting - apart from the gulf to Man City, for the remainder (Man Utd, Spurs, LFC, Chelsea and to a lesser degree Arsenal) there's not really much separating them. Decisions and injuries could be the differentiator between 2nd & 5th. This also bodes well for being able to catch Man City and really challenge for the title.

KentSpurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
South Korea u23 have reached the final of the Asian Games.

If they win it Sonny will be exempt from national service.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
i think Tottenham have had a fantastic start to the season and it's great to see plenty of competition for the top spot/top four. This is what makes the PL interesting - apart from the gulf to Man City, for the remainder (Man Utd, Spurs, LFC, Chelsea and to a lesser degree Arsenal) there's not really much separating them. Decisions and injuries could be the differentiator between 2nd & 5th. This also bodes well for being able to catch Man City and really challenge for the title.
I agree, I just hope City dont run away with it again. The PL is a great league, I watched City go away to Wolves and get a draw, cracking game. Certainly better than watching Barcelona go away and drub some pleb team 6-0.

As for Spurs, still not enough depth for me, they could get lucky and get through the season without too many injuries. The first team squad is top notch, they have improved the bench but it's still thin in midfield. You take Dembele and Dier out and you have Victor 'Dodgey knees' Wanyama and Harry 'sick note' Winks. Oh and Sissoko, but hes better left unmentioned. I just dont feel they have the squad depth to compete in the PL, two cups and the CL. And I feel Poch needs to win something with this Spurs team, a league cup, FA cup before they all move on to the giants of football(Eriksen to RM).

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
As for Spurs, still not enough depth for me, they could get lucky and get through the season without too many injuries. The first team squad is top notch, they have improved the bench but it's still thin in midfield. You take Dembele and Dier out and you have Victor 'Dodgey knees' Wanyama and Harry 'sick note' Winks. Oh and Sissoko, but hes better left unmentioned. I just dont feel they have the squad depth to compete in the PL, two cups and the CL. And I feel Poch needs to win something with this Spurs team, a league cup, FA cup before they all move on to the giants of football(Eriksen to RM).
This is an interesting one. Poch (and Klopp) need to start to win things. I think there is a little less pressure on Klopp, as he's come a little closer (CL final) but just not got it over the line yet. I suspect Poch will look at his start so far and hope this momentum can carry on in the CL and cups. They might run out of steam, but if injuries go their way then prioritising the league and CL might reap rewards for him.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
This is an interesting one. Poch (and Klopp) need to start to win things. I think there is a little less pressure on Klopp, as he's come a little closer (CL final) but just not got it over the line yet. I suspect Poch will look at his start so far and hope this momentum can carry on in the CL and cups. They might run out of steam, but if injuries go their way then prioritising the league and CL might reap rewards for him.
How can there be less pressure on Klopp after spending the money he has and Poch signing absolutely noone?

Klopp is under immense pressure to win something surely. He's been backed to the hilt in the market. Spurs have had to make do with a lot of off the field distractions with the stadium move etc whilst Klopp has had Anfield to play all their home games at etc

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
3 games in means absolutely zilch. 15 games into the season then talk, but for now there's no extra fixtures and no need for rotation. Squad depth will certainly be Spurs biggest issue this season. They may need to dip into the market in Jan.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why is there less pressure on Klopp? He has broken the transfer record for a defender and a GK in the last year alone.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
3 games in means absolutely zilch. 15 games into the season then talk, but for now there's no extra fixtures and no need for rotation. Squad depth will certainly be Spurs biggest issue this season. They may need to dip into the market in Jan.
I agree with this in the sense that it is far too early to get excited about anything. As ever we need to wait till Christmas at least before we can really see whats what. Feeling confident at the moment though.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Poch should never be under more pressure than Klopp to win trophies due to the massive difference in spending

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Indeed, we've always had a strong starting 11, it's the depth that is the issue, especially with a number of players who are injury prone.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
So yeah, in reference to @St Red question about whether Poch would take the United job, who thinks he would actually leave Spurs for United? I can't see it personally, I think if he was willing to move in the next 6/12 months he wouldn't have signed a contract extension, he missed his chance with the Madrid move although that Lopetigul fella may not exactly last.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with this in the sense that it is far too early to get excited about anything. As ever we need to wait till Christmas at least before we can really see whats what. Feeling confident at the moment though.
I wasn't just focusing that statement solely on Spurs either, even though this is Spurs thread. It's the same for all the title challengers and top 6. Three games in and people already betting on their favourites.

So much can change in a short space of time. Any team can get short term and long term injuries, illnesses, suspensions to key players then that turns everything on it's head. However, the squad depth is definitely key issue for Spurs this season. Chelsea didn't have great depth last season and we suffered from it due to injuries/suspensions etc.

In Rainbows

Yeah at this point there should be more pressure on Klopp than Poch, but at the same time the pressure isn't all that great for Klopp. Klopp just needs to challenge for the title for a large part of the season, not win it. Maybe next season will there be genuine pressure for him to win titles, but not this season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
They look ok in attack for squad depth, Llorente can cover for Kane in a pinch, Lamela, Moura, Alli, Eriksen, Son for those attacking positions. And as Toby stayed they also have some depth in defence with Sanchez able to rotate in and Dier can play there in a pinch. The midfield for me needed some major reworking. Dembele is ageing, still probably good for 1 game a week. Wanyama with injury issues, Winks hasnt got a good track record with injuries either. So they have Dier and Sissoko who are actually fit and functioning, hardly inspiring.

So yeah, in reference to @St Red question about whether Poch would take the United job, who thinks he would actually leave Spurs for United? I can't see it personally, I think if he was willing to move in the next 6/12 months he wouldn't have signed a contract extension, he missed his chance with the Madrid move although that Lopetigul fella may not exactly last.
I don't think he would given the current way the club operates. At Spurs if Poch thinks you are a bad influence on the team and wants rid you are gone. And he is quite ruthless about it, Levy lets him run the show in regards to football and players. Look at all the wingers they have signed Poch has shipped out, N'jie brought in and discarded, N'Kodu, hes gone now hasnt he? Spurs shelled out 25mil or more for Janssen and Poch got rid.

Levy focuses on player acquisition, or lack there of, based upon Poch recommendations, and overseeing the financial aspects of the club. There is a clear delineation between control of the footballing aspect and control of the financial aspect. It is different here with Woody and his 'investments' in regards to players Jose seemingly is not allowed to move on.

Madrid is a bit of a poisoned chalice, sure Poch might get a year or two but again his 'my way or you are out' philosophy I dont think would fly with pampered superstars. Much easier to replace the coach than a couple disgruntled mega bucks players annoyed at having to do a double training session.

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
How can there be less pressure on Klopp after spending the money he has and Poch signing absolutely noone?

Klopp is under immense pressure to win something surely. He's been backed to the hilt in the market. Spurs have had to make do with a lot of off the field distractions with the stadium move etc whilst Klopp has had Anfield to play all their home games at etc
A very valid point and sorry, I should've probably explained my thoughts a bit clearer. For me, as an LFC supporter, I believe it's a matter of when, not if, we'll see silverware. I think getting so close to winning the CL last season certainly gives me hope that we'll will a cup or two either this season, or at the latest, next.That's why i'm fairly relaxed - i see good progress which should translate to silverware. I think Spurs are a little further away than that, and as a previous poster mentioned, have a little less depth to their squad. I do think though that Poch has certainly brought Spurs "into the game" and made them contenders, which should translate to a fan base who will want that recognised with silverware, and to me that's a good thing.

Please don't see it as a critique on Poch. If I were a Spurs fan I'd be over the moon with him and the progress he's made. He's turned a quality, but inconsistent, team into a team that plays very attractive football and wins matches.

Again, these are only my thoughts. As a neutral I can absolutely see the argument for stating Klopp needs to win things given the spend, although I do think he's spent wisely.

Reactions: Sultan

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
A very valid point and sorry, I should've probably explained my thoughts a bit clearer. For me, as an LFC supporter, I believe it's a matter of when, not if, we'll see silverware. I think getting so close to winning the CL last season certainly gives me hope that we'll will a cup or two either this season, or at the latest, next.That's why i'm fairly relaxed - i see good progress which should translate to silverware. I think Spurs are a little further away than that, and as a previous poster mentioned, have a little less depth to their squad. I do think though that Poch has certainly brought Spurs "into the game" and made them contenders, which should translate to a fan base who will want that recognised with silverware, and to me that's a good thing.

Please don't see it as a critique on Poch. If I were a Spurs fan I'd be over the moon with him and the progress he's made. He's turned a quality, but inconsistent, team into a team that plays very attractive football and wins matches.

Again, these are only my thoughts. As a neutral I can absolutely see the argument for stating Klopp needs to win things given the spend, although I do think he's spent wisely.
Fair points. I wouldn't say you are any closer to silverware than Spurs are now though. I mean, we have been closer to the PL title (but still not close enough) in all of the last 3 - 4 seasons under both Poch and Klopp. In fact, Klopp has never finished higher than Poch has, despite spending much more money.

As much as the early season hype has been directed at Liverpool, because of the transfer spending which has been so far been wisely spent by the looks of it, I still fancy us to finish above you again. It will be very tough, but I just feel that the consistency we have shown in the league under Poch, gives us the edge over Liverpool.

You guys have definitely done better in Europe, but I think we've looked more likely to win the league than you guys have.

Personally I think this squad depth thing is a bit of a myth. We are already seeing Moura playing as a striker, we have Son who is excellent there also, if Kane was to be injured. Our attacking players, we are as strong there as anyone in the league, same at GK, CBs and full backs. The only question mark is CM, but Sissoko actually has done a job for us relatively ably when call upon, if Wanyama and Winks can stay fit that gives us back our depth. We've seen Alli playing deeper when required, Poch has a lot of versatility in the squad.

It has to be said about squad depth, Poch actually prefers having kids to call on rather than expensive experienced players on huge wedge that get grumpy when they don't get games. He wants a lean squad, I really don't think squad depth is a legit reason to say Spurs can't win trophies this season, it's been more of a mentality thing in the big games.

As Neville rightly pointed out, if we'd won a few more away games at the top 6, we'd have won the league in two out of the last 3 seasons. That is how close we have come, and I do not attribute that to a lack of squad depth.

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
It has to be said about squad depth, Poch actually prefers having kids to call on rather than expensive experienced players on huge wedge that get grumpy when they don't get games. He wants a lean squad, I really don't think squad depth is a legit reason to say Spurs can't win trophies this season, it's been more of a mentality thing in the big games.
And this is one of the reasons I like Poch (and Klopps) approach. There is a decent mix of big-game players and talent being brought through the ranks. This, to me, is an ideal way to manage a squad which will have the right combination of ability to be cut-throat, and the longevity of establishing a team ethic. It also is a great way to keep the recruitment costs down :)

I'd be interested on your view of the league positioning this year. What do you think will be the differentiator between Liverpool & Tottenham this year for you to think Spurs will finish above Liverpool? BTW I'm not disagreeing, but would like to hear your reasoning as to why. I think it's too early to tell ATM, and think it could be any one of a number of clubs in the running. It does make for a fascinating season in the offing though :)

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
AI'd be interested on your view of the league positioning this year. What do you think will be the differentiator between Liverpool & Tottenham this year for you to think Spurs will finish above Liverpool? BTW I'm not disagreeing, but would like to hear your reasoning as to why. I think it's too early to tell ATM, and think it could be any one of a number of clubs in the running. It does make for a fascinating season in the offing though :)
I think what happens in the cups matters a lot, especially the CL. If Spurs had held on and beaten Juventus and gone on a run in the CL while Liverpool had lost to City and been eliminated (or something along those lines) then I think Liverpool would likely have finished above Spurs in the table last year given the different focuses for the clubs as the season concluded.

Same thing this year - whoever goes deeper in the CL is likely to finish behind the other one. And that obviously depends on the draw, injuries/form in the early spring, etc. A lot of things.