Spurs & their wage structure

Classical Mechanic

Spur's wage bill is incrediby small with their top earners only hitting the £100k a week mark. Kane is rumoured to be on £120k a week but only if he hits all his performance targets, his base wage is less than that. Eriksen is only earning £70-£80k a week!

It seems that their players are starting to become unhappy with the wage structure given that Dier, Walker and now Alli are being linked with moves away.

Will Levy break the wage structure or play hard ball or will their top players leave?

I think the big problem they have is that given the performances of some of their players over the past couple of years it isn't that they are earning below their market value, it is that they are earning way way way below their market value.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I can't believe they've gotten away with it as long as they have.
He'll have to stump up the money or he'll just become a selling club choosing money in the bank over success

Red_Beans

Most of their players have recently signed long term extensions. Unless the players start open revolt the club holds the cards

Coxy

It seems that their players are starting to become unhappy with the wage structure given that Dier, Walker and now Alli are being linked with moves away.
So because tabloids are doing their usual thing and linking players with moves randomly - you're then saying that the players are unhappy?

Bit of a stretch...

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
They'll have to break it sooner rather than later, there are plethora of clubs in PL and abroad who can pay much much for their players and it could be a matter of time before their heads get turned. Will be interesting to see how they manage to keep their best players while financing the stadium construction, their situation reminds me of Arsenal when they decided to move from Highbury to Emirates. Invested a lot to build the stadium and that had a knock down effect as their best players kept leaving year after year.

Clas Sified

They've done well to maintain it until now, but they're going to have to break it sooner or later to keep their best players and/or sign new players to complement the starting 11.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spur's wage bill is incrediby small with their top earners only hitting the £100k a week mark. Kane is rumoured to be on £120k a week but only if he hits all his performance targets, his base wage is less than that. Eriksen is only earning £70-£80k a week!

Will Levy break the wage structure or play hard ball or will their top players leave?

I think the big problem they have is that given the performances of some of their players over the past couple of years it isn't that they are earning below their market value, it is that they are earning way way way below their market value.
According to who? No quotes from any players to suggest that. The media are just doing their usual hawking of Spurs players to the bigger clubs, nothing to see here imo.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
So because tabloids are doing their usual thing and linking players with moves randomly - you're then saying that the players are unhappy?

Bit of a stretch...
Transfer rumors are mostly bs but, then tend to happen for a reason.

KN5

What they've done with contracts and their wage structure is amazing and they've actually gotten away with it. However, if they want to remain top of the table season in and season out, without winning anytbing, players will demand more. If they do start winning things then things will also change but it won't be as financially straining because of the cash prizes from winning. I feel spurs are ticking, they need success within the next couple of years or their players leave, the stars that are on such low wages.

The bigger clubs including ourselves won't hesitate bumping up pay by a good 30-40k simply because we can. Unless they win now or find the next stars like Modric, Bale, Eriksen, Alli and Kane they'll be in trouble and out of top 4 finishes. Just my opinion but I also hate spurs so there's that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cake and eating it.

If they want to be a Top 4 side and retain Top 4 players, they're going to need to pay Top 4 wages.

Certain Spurs fans might think their players do it for love rather than money but the reality is that it only takes one or two of them to get upset enough about it that they either leave or get a nice boost to their wages and then others get upset at the decreasing quality in the squad or the lack of parity to their wages.

It'll be interesting to see how Levy plays it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Arsenal are now having to succumb to market forces in relation to players wages but Spurs are where the Gooners were pre-Emirates. They may cut loose once they've moved to their new stadium but for now I can see Levy continuing to hold on tightly to the purse strings.

Which is probably why they tied a lot of their players down...to create some stability during this period of transition. If any players are to leave Spurs, it will be for ridiculous sums but I can't see them breaking any transfer/wages records soon. Fans will accept it for now whilst things are looking good on the pitch but it won't last forever. They'll come unstuck eventually, especially if they want to maintain a European presence year in year out.

SATA

How much is Dele Alli on? I can't be happy if i am him earning 50-60k a week and contributing a great load of goals for the club

Classical Mechanic

Bit of a stretch...
According to who? No quotes from any players to suggest that. The media are just doing their usual hawking of Spurs players to the bigger clubs, nothing to see here imo.
Seems clear to me that their agents are angling for pay rises and rightly so.

Pochettino also said he couldn't guarantee that Alli will stay. That journalists are asking him directly in press conferences about the rumours says they are well sourced.

@balaks do you really think that these players are all going to be happy at Spurs earning way below their market value when bigger and more prestigious clubs will pay them much more?

@RedPed

Keeping unhappy players is not a good idea.

@SATA

Alli - 50k
Walker & Dier 70k
Rose 60k

Sissoko - 95k Levy cocked that one up!

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Football's fecking mental when £4m a year is deemed small salaries.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Spurs Salaries (per week):

http://sportsmaza.com/football/tottenham-hotspur-players-salary/

Lloris £80K
Vorm £22K
Vertonghen £40K
Walker £70K
Alderweireld £75K
Rose £30K
Dier £70K
Alli £50K
Wanyama £70K
Eriksen £75K
Sissoko £95K
Dembele £80K
Son £85K
Kane £60K

Surely that can't be right??? If this is accurate, then shame on Spurs and I can't believe how they have the squad that they have. I'm amazed they've gotten away with it for so long. They will come unstuck sooner or later. Would top players go to Spurs to play CL football on those salaries??

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Cake and eating it.

If they want to be a Top 4 side and retain Top 4 players, they're going to need to pay Top 4 wages.

Certain Spurs fans might think their players do it for love rather than money but the reality is that it only takes one or two of them to get upset enough about it that they either leave or get a nice boost to their wages and then others get upset at the decreasing quality in the squad or the lack of parity to their wages.

We are already a top 4 side.

Moreover, most of our players are on a long contracts, have seen their wages boosted in regular stages whilst they've been at Spurs and can expect that boosting to continue at the club, plus the CL bonuses they will most likely get next season.

Sure, some of them could earn more money elsewhere. But at Spurs they have first XI football in a stable and developing environment, don't have to move away from London, have a new stadium to look forward to, CL football to look forward too and top class training facilities. They also have Pochettino and a strong team spirit.

Given the above - and the long contracts they've signed - I don't see them kicking up an almighty fuss to agitate for moves this summer.

Varun

Staff
Football's fecking mental when £4m a year is deemed small salaries.
It's not mental at all, they're ridiculously good at what they do, which incidentally happens to be a field which is loaded with money.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Moreover, most of our players are on a long contracts, have seen their wages boosted in regular stages whilst they've been at Spurs and can expect that boosting to continue at the club, plus the CL bonuses they will most likely get next season.

Sure, some of them could earn more money elsewhere. But at Spurs they have first XI football in a stable and developing environment, don't have to move away from London, have a new stadium to look forward to, CL football to look forward too and top class training facilities. They also have Pochettino and a strong team spirit.

Given the above - and the long contracts they've signed - I don't see them kicking up an almighty fuss to agitate for moves this summer.
Yeah but when they see players earning double/treble what they're on at Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham etc., you can't tell me they're going to be happy about it. Especially if United, City, Real etc. come knocking.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Lloris £80K
Vorm £22K
Vertonghen £40K
Walker £70K
Alderweireld £75K
Rose £30K
Dier £70K
Alli £50K
Wanyama £70K
Eriksen £75K
Sissoko £95K
Dembele £80K
Son £85K
Kane £60K

Surely that can't be right??? If this is accurate, then shame on Spurs and I can't believe how they have the squad that they have. I'm amazed they've gotten away with it for so long. They will come unstuck sooner or later. Would top players go to Spurs to play CL football on those salaries??
Shame on Spurs for being intelligent with their money in order to stay competitive with richer clubs?

Levy is a genius. If United were half as good with their money as Spurs are, we wouldn't be fighting for a top four place year after year.

KN5

I think after losing such talent like Modric and Bale it was wise for Levy to really understand how to manage contracts and the longevity, applaud him for it so far, long contracts and cheap whilst hitting top 4.
Shame on Spurs for being intelligent with their money in order to stay competitive with richer clubs?

Levy is a genius. If United were half as good with their money as Spurs are, we wouldn't be fighting for a top four place year after year.
I don't think United's lack of success within the last few season comes down to money management, as you know we have an abundance of it, being able to offer 80m for Pogba whilst also bringing in 3 others in the same window. But even saying that, United have had more success than Spurs recently so your point isn't that valid. Regardless, Levy has done a great job with those contracts, absolutely mental that Eriksen is only on 75k.

Classical Mechanic

Levy is good but he has onl;y got away with this so far as Spurs were not a top four regular club and were seen as a stepping stone club. The dynamic has to change if they want to be in the mix going forward.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

That's a laughable comment right there! We'll see how far his 'genius' gets him, when they're competing on four fronts year after year for the top honours.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

The CL football is a double edged sword though. The contracts the likes of Kane and Alli signed were good, considering the stages of their career. But now they're CL footballers, for two consecutive seasons they've been the most credible challenger to the ultimate winners (assuming you don't even go on and win it this year, which is a possibility). All of a sudden, those decent contracts they signed start looking a little worse.

At some point in the not too distant future you're going to have to offer one of your best players a much bigger contract. And once one of them gets it...

It's a similar situation to Liverpool I think, although your players can actually point to more tangible achievements in their negotiations.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah but when they see players earning double/treble what they're on at Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham etc., you can't tell me they're going to be happy about it. Especially if United, City, Real etc. come knocking.
The wages stated earlier in this thread are not accurate: Kane, for example, earns up to £120k with bonuses. He and Lloris are the top earners at Spurs.

But since a player on a long contract has to be very unhappy to kick up a big enough fuss to force to a move, the question is: are any of the players concerned that unhappy? My answer is "no" - and I've seen no evidence to dispute this.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The CL football is a double edged sword though. The contracts the likes of Kane and Alli signed were good, considering the stages of their career. But now they're CL footballers, for two consecutive seasons they've been the most credible challenger to the ultimate winners (assuming you don't even go on and win it this year, which is a possibility). All of a sudden, those decent contracts they signed start looking a little worse.

At some point in the not too distant future you're going to have to offer one of your best players a much bigger contract. And once one of them gets it...

It's a similar situation to Liverpool I think, although your players can actually point to more tangible achievements in their negotiations.
I agree with this. But the new stadium will boost club income significantly - this increase starts to come on stream in less than 18 months time - and so will allow us to pay higher wages.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That's a laughable comment right there! We'll see how far his 'genius' gets him, when they're competing on four fronts year after year for the top honours.
It's tremendously difficult for a smaller club to sustain a competitive advantage in the long term without serious financial doping (a la City). Doesn't change the fact that they're currently outperforming relative to their stature while we're underperforming.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Sissoko is their top earner? lol

SATA

Lloris £80K
Vorm £22K
Vertonghen £40K
Walker £70K
Alderweireld £75K
Rose £30K
Dier £70K
Alli £50K
Wanyama £70K
Eriksen £75K
Sissoko £95K
Dembele £80K
Son £85K
Kane £60K

If that is true, i wonder why some of that lot haven't or yet thrown up a strop. The likes of Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Alli, Eriksen and Kane could easily earned double of that elsewhere

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The wages stated earlier in this thread are not accurate: Kane, for example, earns up to £120k with bonuses. He and Lloris are the top earners at Spurs.

But since a player on a long contract has to be very unhappy to kick up a big enough fuss to force to a move, the question is: are any of the players concerned that unhappy? My answer is "no" - and I've seen no evidence to dispute this.
Ok, so Kane and Lloris are the top earners, how do their salaries compare to the rest of the squad? A player doesn't necessarily have to be unhappy but if another club is offering to double their wages, they are going to think about it.

AXVnee7

Spurs have done very well all things considered. The thing is though, that they and their players are new to the 'big pond'. They have no right to demand excessive wages and the players know the club cannot afford to pay them the wages, that we paying our players for example. But eventually if they continue as they are now whereby there are a very good team but not really in reach of silverware, eventually players will begin to reconsider their ambitions and are prone to be enticed elsewhere. That's where Spurs will need to pay the wages, if they cannot deliver trophies at the very least.

finneh

Cake and eating it.

Correct. It won't be Kane or Alli that cause the problem as they're clearly a level above any other players they'll have; it'll be the likes of Alderweireld, Lloris, Walker, Rose etc.

Once one of their agents tells them they're being offered £150k elsewhere they'll be asking Levy for over £100k a week.

At some point soon they'll have to pay it and that will cause a wage explosion as has happened at every other club (albeit a decade ago for other clubs).

It's when your good but unspectacular first teamers get a large pay rise that the inflation occurs. If the rumours are to be believed Man City are potentially after Rose & Walker. Likewise I imagine people will be sniffing around Alderweireld.

They won't need to agitate for a move away or cause much of a fuss, but if an offer comes in they're likely to ask Spurs to match the prospective clubs' offer (or at least come close).

Once Walker for example gets a £2m pay rise you'll see Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, Lamela, Dier, Erikson all looking for at least the same. That's another £16m onto the salary bill, which will then drag up the salaries of their squad players and of course Kane/Alli will be expecting increases year on year.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's tremendously difficult for a smaller club to sustain a competitive advantage in the long term without serious financial doping (a la City). Doesn't change the fact that they're currently outperforming relative to their stature while we're underperforming.
We're the current League and FA Cup holders and in with a shout of the Europa League trophy. You don't win anything for finishing 2nd!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Exactly as expected. You're in for a shock if you think your players will say "fair enough you've got me tied to 4 years, I'll keep quiet" when they could double their wages else where and get first XI football.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Lloris £80K
Vorm £22K
Vertonghen £40K
Walker £70K
Alderweireld £75K
Rose £30K
Dier £70K
Alli £50K
Wanyama £70K
Eriksen £75K
Sissoko £95K
Dembele £80K
Son £85K
Kane £60K

They don't need to buy 'top' players. They've had quite a bit of success picking up quality younger players with the right attributes. I think there's plenty of quality players that would look on enviously at the kinds of wages Spurs players are paid. That's their market, and you'd have to consider them one of the best options in that market. They're not looking to compete with the likes of us and City in trying to outbid the likes of Real Madrid and PSG for the Dybalas and Griezmans of the world. But, like Dortmund, Atletico and other clubs just off the elite, they can offer CL football to players that are either not yet on the radar of the biggest clubs or consider these teams better options at this stage of their careers.

I feel that Tottenham's problem won't be attracting quality, but keeping it. That's where their wage structure could potentially cause problems. How long can you underpay players that have outperformed those at United, City, even Arsenal and Liverpool? These players will have their agents in their ears, telling them exactly how much the richest clubs would pay them. At some point something is going to have to give.