Stam V Vidic

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Tough one, but i'd go for Stam

The man was a beast, big, strong, fast as feck. Strikers used to bounce off him.

Vidic is one of the best around, almost unbeatable in the air but hasn't got all the facets to his game to make him perfect.

Northstand

Tough one, but i'd go for Stam

The man was a beast, big, strong, fast as feck. Strikers used to bounce off him.

Vidic is one of the best around, almost unbeatable in the air but hasn't got all the facets to his game to make him perfect.
Fair comment, but for my money, Vidic's performances have just got better and better, to the degree he now rates parity with Jaap.

Widnes

I'd say Stam as he was the main man in the defence, as good as vidic is he is our second best centre half.

Having said that so would Stam if he was playing with Rio.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Vidic is immense but Stam had better all round game.

At the peak of their powers the best defenders i've seen at the club are:

1) Stam
2) Ferdinand
3) Vidic

It's very close though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For me personally it would be

McGrath
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Greame Hogg

I'm not old enough to go back beyond McGrath

MacMUFC

We've been blessed with some amazing defenders, havent we?

I think Ferdinand and Vidic are/were better than Stam.

204Red

Stam was lighting quick, I can remember seeing him keep pace with one Michael Owen in his speedy prime... then knocking him on his ass.

Stam's performance in the2nd half of CL semi vs Juve where he won everything will stand out in my mind for a long time.

For as good as Vidic has been, there will always be the 1-4 where Fernado Torres took him to town, and the CL final vs Barca when he was beaten by Eto'o.

Those high profile matches where Vidic has made his worst mistakes... these errors make Stam's worst... getting schooled by Marian Perhars (Southampton) and Saha (Fulham opening day)... seem not so bad

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Stam for me. Noone comes close in terms of his ability to make defending look so easy against the very, very best of attackers.

Vidic is a ridiculously good defender, but I'd still take a peak Rio and peak Stam over him.

Carl

For me personally it would be

McGrath
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Greame Hogg

I'm not old enough to go back beyond McGrath
McGrath was very good but was not better than Stam and Ferdinand. No way.

Point Prunier

Stam for me too.

Vidic is an outstanding player, but i think Stam has the better of him in almost every department. Would have loved to have seen a Stam Ferdinand pairing. Enjoyed the Larry White experience though!

Carl

No debate. 2 very different players.
Of course there's a valid debate. They're both centre halves. They did it differently but they're obviously not that different.

Alilaw

I've not seen a better defender than stam at the top of his game. But having said that, I think Vidic has been more consistent over a longer period.

I still chuckle at the time Zamarano backed into him
There's a brilliant picture which I remember seeing but haven't been able to find of him with his hand round vieira's neck. I think it was the 2000/01 game at highbury, and it had kicked off with Roy keane. Vieira's absolutely shitting himself - as most opposition players did.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Here we again with this bollocks. Vidic is a rock for Man Utd and for Serbia. And was a rock for every team prior to that. So don't say he is average without Rio. I could say the same thing about Rio prior to the arrival of Vidic.
No you couldn't.

Well you could but you'd be wrong. Rio made Mikael Silvestre seem world class, for crying out loud. He doesn't need anyone to make him look good.

Sylar

Rio was immense in 2008 and wasnt even our best player cos of Ronaldos ridiculous stats. Vidic was really fantastic in 2009 (I think rio didnt missed quite a bit of that season).
2010/11 with both fit is seeing the best of both which is great and more often than not, I dont see us conceding those silly goals now (legally I should say given the brum goal)

I think its a tough one but if hes still playing this level in a year or two, I think id take Vida over Stam which I never thought id say.

MacMUFC

I think Vidic's biggest weakness is his clumsiness. Absolutely awesome defender, but he gives away needless fouls, even when he was superb against Tottenham last night, it may have been a different story had a couple of those free kicks gone in and people would be viewing his performance in a different light.

All ifs, buts and maybes, but its just my opinion. Nevertheless, I think he's in our top 3 defenders of all time, Vidic and Ferdinand simply have to be in there.

Carl

McGrath was a natural. I'd say he was better than both despite his injuries and alcohol issues.
Agreed. Most naturally talented defender I've ever seen.
No way. Maybe he'd have gone on to be better had he not been a bit of an idot but there's no chance he was better than Stam, Vidic and Rio.

Maybe more naturally gifted than them (though I would still argue Rio was more naturally gifted) but a better defender? Nah. Not havin it.

MacMUFC

My mind genuinely cant comprehend the thought of this McGrath bloke being better than Vidic, Ferdinand and Stam. He must have been quite good.

Carl

My mind genuinely cant comprehend the thought of this McGrath bloke being better than Vidic, Ferdinand and Stam. He must have been quite good.
He was quality and could have been one of the greats but was unfortunate with injuries and liked the booze way to much.

Waste of a talent.

Devils Advocate

Vidic is immense but Stam had better all round game.

At the peak of their powers the best defenders i've seen at the club are:

1) Stam
2) Ferdinand
3) Vidic

It's very close though.
i think that's a good call, all are extremely good but i think at their best this is the right order.

you got the impression stam could have played on his own at centre back for us and i'd give rio the edge over vida as he was pretty much perfect for me in 07-08. all very good and very close though.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Would put Vidic above Rio, but it is a very close call as it is with Stam and Vidic. I think I will call it a draw.

But I agree with the above. McGrath tops the lot

Enigma_87

You know who
I think Stam just edges it. Build like a tank with incredible pace.

My favorite moment is when it took half of our team including the ref to stop him from pummeling Vieira after some clash with Keano.:lol:

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
For me its got to be Rio at the head of the pack. Literally one of the best players I have ever seen, let alone defenders. Something I've particularly noticed this season as well as all of his other attributes is how he clears the ball. He literally gets it out of the danger zone every single time without error, no matter where the ball arrives at him. Just an absolute beast. Love Stam and Vidic, but Rio is one of the best centre backs ever.

HsJ

Personally I think Ferdinand is the main man. You can stick anyone next to him and they'd look top draw.

Ferdinand. Stam. Vidic.

Aboutreika18

I remember Milan playing Barca in the CL a few years ago, I think it was the return leg after Giuly scored at the San Siro.

Stam was playing at right-back for Milan and spent nearly the entire match bombing up and down that right side. He must have been 33/34 when that took place and it was almost surreal seeing how quick he still was.