Stam V Vidic

Member 39557

People have short memories, or didn't see Stam play. He was a colossus.
Vidic is very good, and I thought he was immense on Sunday but I would still rate Stam higher.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
IMO, i thought Stam might have had that little extra bit of pace and edge on the "ground", over Vidic. But strength wise, even though Stam looks stronger (or more evil ;) ), I have yet to see Vidic getting "physically bullied" - the way Stam did against Carsten Jancker in that UCL final.

(then again I've not seen Stam being outplayed by someone like Torres - then again that might have been a once off)...shite, this stuff is confusing even me!

Overall I'd probably rate Vidic higher, especially since his Captain and he'd have stayed with us a bit longer! (if im not mistaken!). But only just.

(Stam also shone in a period when we had some top top defenders around Europe - Italians, Germans, Argentinians. These days I'm struggling to name more then 3-4 top top Central defenders outside of United!).

Member 39557

You make it sound like Vidic is in his first season..
Where did I imply that? I think you're taking this a bit too personally. They're both fantastic, I just think Stam was better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Vidic has done the same with most players who have partnered him.

Neither does he need anyone to make him look good.
Agree. Top class defenders don't need a certain individual around to make them look good. However they do need a good partner to make the defense look good.

And that's why Vidic and Evra have completely transformed us defensively over the last 4 or 5 years. Before that we always leaked goals and got bullied by strong strikers. Since then we got enough cogs in the machinery to have a top quality defense.

As for Vidic, simply put, the best defender I've seen.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I have seen both play and I rate Vidic higher, he's been the best center half in the world for the last 3 years.

Northstand

No way. Maybe he'd have gone on to be better had he not been a bit of an idot but there's no chance he was better than Stam, Vidic and Rio.

Maybe more naturally gifted than them (though I would still argue Rio was more naturally gifted) but a better defender? Nah. Not havin it.
Above quote relating to McGrath.

I'd agree CW, McGrath had great potential but he didn't fulfil it, at least at United. Had he done so, for all the problems he had with his drinking (which was true of Robson to a much lesser extent), Fergie would never have countenanced his move to Villa.

vuc

First Team Serb
IMO, i thought Stam might have had that little extra bit of pace and edge on the "ground", over Vidic. But strength wise, even though Stam looks stronger (or more evil ;) ), I have yet to see Vidic getting "physically bullied" - the way Stam did against Carsten Jancker in that UCL final.

(then again I've not seen Stam being outplayed by someone like Torres - then again that might have been a once off)...shite, this stuff is confusing even me!

Overall I'd probably rate Vidic higher, especially since his Captain and he'd have stayed with us a bit longer! (if im not mistaken!). But only just.

(Stam also shone in a period when we had some top top defenders around Europe - Italians, Germans, Argentinians. These days I'm struggling to name more then 3-4 top top Central defenders outside of United!).
This is a good point - but at the same time can you hold it against Vidic for there not being the same amount of quality around?

Member 39557

My memory may be flawed on this because I was pretty young at the time, but I seem to remember that Paul McGrath didn't even train at Villa due to dodgy knees. That might have had as much to do with his departure as his drinking.

Member 39557

Questioning peoples opinions with your first line maybe?

I respect your opinion, I never said anything about you thinking Stam was Better, did I?
How does questioning peoples opinions make it sound like it's Vidic's first season?

towcester_red

Wow, great question!

Id probably go for Vidic, I think we would struggle more now if he left than we did than Jaap left. I think Vidic is better in the air than Stam....

Both world class players though.

Sam

How does questioning peoples opinions make it sound like it's Vidic's first season?
You have to understand, Vuc is not a Manchester United fan, he is a Nemanja Vidic fan...and he takes any slight criticism of Vidic very personally.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When this thread was made I was slighting leaning towards Stam. But Vida is making it bloody hard to choose now, especially after a performance like against Spurs.

Either/or, I'd put them at the same level now. Either of them next to Rio is just about perfect. Although I'd have loved to see a Stam/Vidic combo just for shits and giggles.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Vidic looks tough and having the fight ability, but Stam looks like some hard laden war vets who probably lose on technical ground but will kill you without hesitation and fancy flick, he's a typical no bullshit street brawler.

In terms of Fight, my money goes to Stam.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I love Vida but Stam just shades it. feck we have had some amazing centre backs during my time as a supporter...to name a few

McGrath
Moran
Pallister
Bruce
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic

and even when i was a little nipper Martin Buchan.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Both equal.

When I was a kid, Jaap Stam was a rock. This season Vidic has probably been the best player in the prem. Both fantastic defenders.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Both monsters on the pitch. It's hard to say who was/is better because Stam had a good career away from United. No one will ever forget Stam v Inter in 99 at Old Trafford. Zammarano was completely fecked by what Stam did to him.

Vidic's performance on Sunday v Spurs was one of the best defensive performances I have seen anywhere.

Both awesome players - both played for United. We're fecking spoilt rotten.

Red_Aaron

I'd go with Stam , he's the best defender i've ever seen. Given the amount of players (ie.pretty much all of them) that we used to throw forward in those days Jaap was almost a one man backline at times and saved us untold amounts

Vidic is a rock, great leader, great organiser, a goalthreat and real driving force in the team but he's had far superior defenders alongside him than stam did, this is probably the best backline we've ever had and as such its difficult to seperate any of their individual performances from the sum total

However should he stay at the top of his game for another 4-5 seasons Vidic has the oportunity to write himself deeper into the history of the club than Stam could with his premature departure. Should the trophies keep rolling in with Vidic in the armband he may one day be considered alongside Robson and Keane in the L-word stakes too

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This is a good point - but at the same time can you hold it against Vidic for there not being the same amount of quality around?
Not holding it against Vida at all, just trying to emphasise how difficult it is to really seperate the 2!

On a side note, the same argument could be construed against Stam - he arguably had a greater/stronger midfield protecting him! But alas, i just find it really difficult to seperate the 2.

The best way, IMO to describe Stam, would be a bit better then Vidic on the ground, with Vidic being arguably one of the best defenders in the air. Anyone who can conclusively say who is better is a very confident man.

vuc

First Team Serb
You have to understand, Vuc is not a Manchester United fan, he is a Nemanja Vidic fan...and he takes any slight criticism of Vidic very personally.
I don't you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Note, I didn't actually say anything was wrong with bill's opinion about stam being better.

I will of course respond if I don't agree with certain things that are said, like we all do.

vuc

First Team Serb
Not holding it against Vida at all, just trying to emphasise how difficult it is to really seperate the 2!

On a side note, the same argument could be construed against Stam - he arguably had a greater/stronger midfield protecting him! But alas, i just find it really difficult to seperate the 2.

The best way, IMO to describe Stam, would be a bit better then Vidic on the ground, with Vidic being arguably one of the best defenders in the air. Anyone who can conclusively say who is better is a very confident man.
I agree it's really hard.

The midfield comment is one I haven't seen brought up before. It's a good point because a lot of people bring up Vidic having better defenders to work with, but the midfield Stam had in front of him was amazing.

That's a good summary, I would say that Stam may have had the better attributes, but Vidic's consistency and match winning contributions even that out. It's very hard, if Vidic has another season like 08/09 and continues the way he is, he would have had virtually 4 flawless seasons.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I would take Vidic over Stam. Only just, mind.

Stam was a beast and perhaps Vidic is more fortunate to work alongside better players (though Schmeichel, Neville, Irwin, Berg, Johnsen were no slouches, clearly) that many would consider "World Class", but I feel that Vidic gets the benefit of the doubt for his sustained dominance. He's been with us 5 years now and been a beast for all of them.

edit: just seen another comment about the midfield in front of Stam, which was obviously stronger. I didn't consider that really.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It's close but i would go for Vidic, purely on the basis that Vidic is a better communicator.