Television Star Trek

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I have just started a Star Trek marathon where I am going to watch every episode ever made.
703 episodes. It could be a five year mission.

Revan

Assumptionman
I have just started a Star Trek marathon where I am going to watch every episode ever made.
703 episodes. It could be a five year mission.
You're the biggest nerd on here. ;)

Would you be as kind as providing me some info about the chronology of it. I am planning to watch all of it, but I am a complete noob to Star Trek (have watched only the two JJ movies) so no idea where to start.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper

Would you be as kind as providing me some info about the chronology of it. I am planning to watch all of it, but I am a complete noob to Star Trek (have watched only the two JJ movies) so no idea where to start.
I'm not that sure about the chronologie. I was just going to watch them in the order they came out.
I have seen this recommendation though.
  • Star Trek: The Original Series
  • Star Trek Films 1 through 6. Not 7!
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Star Trek Film 7
  • Star Trek: Voyager
  • Star Trek Films 8 through 10
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
  • Star Trek: Enterprise

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm not that sure about the chronologie. I was just going to watch them in the order they came out.
  • Star Trek Film 7
Thanks. Would either go with this or with the order they came out.

Are they really as good as people say? Spending 500+ hours in them, is it worthy (assuming that you have watched all of them before)?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Thanks. Would either go with this or with the order they came out.

Are they really as good as people say? Spending 500+ hours in them, is it worthy (assuming that you have watched all of them before)?
I've watched the first 5 so far and they are as good as I remember. I would say I've watched most of the original series but it was 40 years ago. The next gen I saw very few of because that was on during my clubbing, drinking and drugging days.
The visual effects for the ship are really good, although some of the creatures look a bit comical.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I'm at the end of second season of DS9 now. Good stuff, but still prefer TNG which I've rewatched previously in the year.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
2nd biggest :lol:
I've got a couple of dedicated external HDD's for just scifi stuff. As an example....

Star Trek, every episode and movie.
Stargate, all 10 series, plus the original and two spin off movies and Atlantis.

I've also recently acquired every episode and movie from Babylon 5 which I'm working on currently.

Revan

Assumptionman
I've got a couple of dedicated external HDD's for just scifi stuff. As an example....

Stargate, all 10 series, plus the original and two spin off movies and Atlantis.

I've also recently acquired every episode and movie from Babylon 5 which I'm working on currently.
We have a winner! :lol:

Btw, how do they compare with Battlestar Galactica (which is my favorite show of all time)? I have seen mixed reviews for both ST and SG, so if I am going to take as a big commitment (hundreds of hours) I want something really great.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
We have a winner! :lol:

Btw, how do they compare with Battlestar Galactica (which is my favorite show of all time)? I have seen mixed reviews for both ST and SG, so if I am going to take as a big commitment (hundreds of hours) I want something really great.
I forgot BSG, I also have all the films and episodes (original & reboot) :lol:

It's tough to compete against BSG IMO as I think it's a really good programme. I enjoyed SG-1 & Atlantis, like everything there were some weaker episodes, and I wasn't quite so fond of it when O'Neill got replaced (happens about season 6 or 7 IIRC), but generally I thought it was decent, certainly enough to keep me watching.

Eriku

Me and teh Mrs are going through Deep Space 9 atm. Good stuff, but TNG is head and shoulders above all other of the series.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper

Equal first. I don't have Stargate, but I have Lexx and Farscape plus some recent stuff like Falling Skies.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
You're the biggest teen on here, then.
I have no idea about Falling Skies. I just downloaded it along with loads of other stuff.
I WILL watch them all eventually.
Going through Star Trek and there have been a couple of episodes I don't remember already. Great stuff.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
  • Star Trek Film 7
You have ds9 and voyager the wrong way round

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Falling Skies season four is brain dead material. Only good thing is that it's pretty self contained, all the idiocy from it can be ignored, and hopefully they'll not go that route in season five.

Not that first three season are great television, bad acting, but it's watchable.

Looking forward to re-watch Farscape, now that was fun as heck.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
I'm at the end of second season of DS9 now. Good stuff, but still prefer TNG which I've rewatched previously in the year.
Me and teh Mrs are going through Deep Space 9 atm. Good stuff, but TNG is head and shoulders above all other of the series.

As with all star trek series, the first 2/3 seasons are fairly average, ds9 probably has the worst first couple of seasons of all star trek (except enterprise).

Stick with ds9, when the dominion start coming into it more the series really takes off. It was the first star trek to break tradition and have a series story ark over a season (or two) instead of an episode or two and it works brilliantly. The storyline of the dominion war is just exceptional and all the characters come into their own, especially sisko.

for star trek series, there are certain visual clues that when you see them happen you know the series has got past the awkward first couple of years and the storyline starts to be good:

• TNG - the change in uniform from the slightly camp jump suit to the two peice with the collar.
  • ds9 - when sisko shaves his head.
  • Voyager - janeway cuts her hair/seven of nine appears/kes fecks off.
  • Enterprise - introduction of xindi

Phurry

Furry Fecker
You're the biggest teen on here, then.
Errrrr......I have them all too, and all of S01 of The 100 plus all the transmitted episodes of S02 :lol:
I've also got all of Defiance, Agents of SHIELD, both versions of V, a shedload of Buck Rogers and feck knows what else in my collection :)

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I only watched a little of Enterprise when it was on TV but I can remember an episode where the captain and the vulcan woman were tied together and were wriggling around on the floor. It ended up with his head buried in her tits.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Errrrr......I have them all too, and all of S01 of The 100 plus all the transmitted episodes of S02 :lol:
I've also got all of Defiance, Agents of SHIELD, both versions of V, a shedload of Buck Rogers and feck knows what else in my collection :)
Well, you beat me, but I'm not far behind.
I've got 137 Hawkwind related albums if that's any good. (Space Rock and all that)

Revan

Assumptionman
There's the difference between being a nerd and just watching shit TV shows, Phurry.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No comments from anyone about Justin Lin directing the next film? I'm very interested to see what he'll do with the franchise...

Revan

Assumptionman
No comments from anyone about Justin Lin directing the next film? I'm very interested to see what he'll do with the franchise...
So, JJ isn't doint them anymore?

That's very bad considering that I loved both movies.

Amir

Did that maybe a year and a half ago. What a great show, and what luck they didn't kill it off after a subpar first season.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Just learned that Leonard Nimoy died couple of days ago. A shame.

Nearing the end of 4th season of DS9, good to great stuff, really liking it a lot.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I sometimes watch this when I'm really bored and can't find anything else on, the one with shatner and Nimoy in, it's awful :lol: Acting is crap, storylines...no sense at all. It really is awful, it's weirdly addictive though, it's like those sharknado films. The fake accents for those with them.... I can't explain.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Just started season 5 of Deep Space Nine, and I think it has become my favourite Star Trek show. Next Generation is great, with some characters I adore, and awesome episodes to boot, but being more serialized is still a big bonus point for DS9. And everything I said for TNG goes for them too...

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'm building up to a Star Trek marathon. When I've watched Helix, Defiance and Stewart Lee Comedy Vehicle, it will start. Should take a couple of years to watch everything.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It's on. I'm up to episode 15 of the original series. I can watch an episode a day going to and from work on the train.
My 2 year mission to explore unseen episodes.