Television Star Trek

Raoul

Admin
Staff
DS9 is the darkest of the Star Trek series. The story arcs we take for granted in most shows now were a new concept when DS9 aired.

TNG is very good. If you have the time, TNG followed by DS9. Your in for a treat both shows are great. Between them they make up alot of the top ten star trek epsiodes of all time. Personally DS9 is my favourite trek of all time.
What did you think of Enterprise ?

dinostar77

What did you think of Enterprise ?
A huge missed opportunity. What we wanted as fans and what we got were two completely different shows and storylines.

I re-watched all 4 seasons about 2/3 years ago and its ok. But its just that, its ok.

bucky

A huge missed opportunity. What we wanted as fans and what we got were two completely different shows and storylines.

I re-watched all 4 seasons about 2/3 years ago and its ok. But its just that, its ok.
Not that I disagree with your opinion on Enterprise, but movies or series shouldn't be made with what fans want in mind.

dinostar77

Not that I disagree with your opinion on Enterprise, but movies or series shouldn't be made with what fans want in mind.
Yes i agree that fan service can lead you down the wrong path. However the romulan war with Earth, the creation and founding of the federation etc isnt too much to ask is it?

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Agree with everyone, it was superb, I watched the last episode of Discovery before it and the difference in overall quality was staggering.

Coxy

Agree with everyone, it was superb, I watched the last episode of Discovery before it and the difference in overall quality was staggering.
Gutted but I’ve missed all of Discovery (this season) - thanks to no luck unless you’re watching it live :(

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I downloaded the first season a while ago - but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

It's odd - I love Star Trek. I watched every episode of TNG (and all the movies), DS9 and Voyager back in the day - and I've even re-watched much of that stuff in later years from time to time. I've also watched the original series - including the movies - even that animated thing from the early 70s.

But for some reason I never could bring myself to watch anything post Voyager (which I consider to be significantly weaker than TOS, TNG and DS9 - but still, I did enjoy it on the whole). Never seen a single episode of Enterprise - never bothered with any of the newer movies, etc.

But when I heard about Picard, I figured I just had to check it out (Picard himself is probably my favourite Trek character). But...I just can't watch it.

Same thing with the Twin Peaks sequel. I loved the original one - I love Lynch in general. Absolutely adored it as a kid/teenager - and have re-watched the whole thing several times as an adult (still loving it). I've had the new series downloaded and ready to watch for several years now - just click play...but I haven't done so.

I end up watching some random crap on YouTube instead. Or some inevitably highly mediocre contemporary horror flick I pick up from a torrent site. Basically a pure waste of time.

I don't know what the hell it is. I'm 99% sure I'll enjoy it very much if I just...watch it. But there's something keeping me from doing it. Fear of disappointment? Some kind of vague aversion to revisiting something I once (very much) enjoyed - but that makes no sense, because it isn't really that - this is actually new (and, like I said, I've re-watched the older material - so I'm clearly not reluctant to go back, as such).

Amir

Discovery this season feels like a low-budget TV show that took what could have been a good story for 8-9 episodes and stretched it over 13. Slow with endless discussions - which are all pointless as Michael is of course the smartest one there who always knows what to do.

Withnail

I downloaded the first season a while ago - but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

It's odd - I love Star Trek. I watched every episode of TNG (and all the movies), DS9 and Voyager back in the day - and I've even re-watched much of that stuff in later years from time to time. I've also watched the original series - including the movies - even that animated thing from the early 70s.

But for some reason I never could bring myself to watch anything post Voyager (which I consider to be significantly weaker than TOS, TNG and DS9 - but still, I did enjoy it on the whole). Never seen a single episode of Enterprise - never bothered with any of the newer movies, etc.

But when I heard about Picard, I figured I just had to check it out (Picard himself is probably my favourite Trek character). But...I just can't watch it.

Same thing with the Twin Peaks sequel. I loved the original one - I love Lynch in general. Absolutely adored it as a kid/teenager - and have re-watched the whole thing several times as an adult (still loving it). I've had the new series downloaded and ready to watch for several years now - just click play...but I haven't done so.

I end up watching some random crap on YouTube instead. Or some inevitably highly mediocre contemporary horror flick I pick up from a torrent site. Basically a pure waste of time.

I don't know what the hell it is. I'm 99% sure I'll enjoy it very much if I just...watch it. But there's something keeping me from doing it. Fear of disappointment? Some kind of vague aversion to revisiting something I once (very much) enjoyed - but that makes no sense, because it isn't really that - this is actually new (and, like I said, I've re-watched the older material - so I'm clearly not reluctant to go back, as such).
I watched feck all after Voyager either. I dropped into the odd episode but wasn't impressed and agree even Voyager was weaker overall.

But I did watch this because I had enjoyed TNG so much. It's good and it's a good bit better than Voyager. Give it a chance.

choccy77

Good second episode, building and setting up the plot for the rest of the series.

Episode 3 should be good.

I kinda felt like that world, is what living in a world run by Putin would look like.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I watched feck all after Voyager either. I dropped into the odd episode but wasn't impressed and agree even Voyager was weaker overall.

But I did watch this because I had enjoyed TNG so much. It's good and it's a good bit better than Voyager. Give it a chance.
Good to know - this is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Good second episode. Really interested to see how it ties in with the Bell Riots and DS9. Loved all the protagonists/antagonist name drops from DS9.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Really enjoyed the first two episodes and always love a Star Trek mirror darkly script. The DS9 name drops were great.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I love it when they get All brutal.

Can't wait for next Thursday.
Star Trek Enterprise did a two part episode set in the other universe (Terrain Empire etc) which was a decent watch. Voyager did an episode similar to that as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Star Trek Enterprise did a two part episode set in the other universe (Terrain Empire etc) which was a decent watch. Voyager did an episode similar to that as well.
The final two years of Enterprise was some of the best written Star Trek ever imo

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The final two years of Enterprise was some of the best written Star Trek ever imo
Yeah they had the augment mini-story which had the guy who plays Data in which was well done. They had a Borg episode as well.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
This isn’t the mirror universe as it is in the other series though, which explains why Sisko is still alive. It’s a corruption in the main timeline surrounding the Bell Riots of 2024 that makes it like the mirror universe timeline. I am curious to see whether we will see Sisko in this? Hopefully he punches Q again

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So it's Back to the Future in which Q is Biff Tannen... I'm curious now where will they go with this.

choccy77

The strange new worlds trailer is out now for the new spinoff from Discovery.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
So I just powered through Discovery. My fast forward button got some series punishment, I can tell you that. Who wrote this utter mess? How could any one read those scripts and think this was good??? Its utterly bizarre. I wasnt a huge fan of the first season, but it was watchable. Second season was a massive improvement, although in the end still suffered from the same issues and the overwhelming focus on Burnham really needed to be deal with. Season 3, instead of leaning into what they improved in season 2, they leaned into what made it shit. And the big reveal of "the burn" was so stupid I felt my IQ drop just watching it. But season 4...what the in the sweet feck is going on here? How can every character be so emotionally immature? How can they be the best and brightest, yet have no tools what so ever to deal with the stress of space flight and exploring the unknown? How can a ship constantly be without its a command staff and function reliably? And aliens who talk through emotions....feck off show. Felt like every other exchange between the characters was just one soapy exchange after another. I just binge watched 13 years of Dallas, it was 1 billion times better than this dog shit. And it actually was a soap that leaned heavily into the cheese.

Ive watched the first season of Picard, but Im leaving the rest till the end of the season. Its madness how that first episode of season 2 of Picard, even though it had a questionable first season, was able to get the star trek juices flowing again. But Disco just gives me eye strain from all the eye rolling. Safe to say, Im finally done. No more chances for this utter trash. And I guess I was supposed to know who the feck that woman was at the end, but I havent a clue. And dont even care enough to google it. Just trash. Utter, utter trash.

God it feels good to get that out of me. Just one more...it was trash. Im done.

Hamnat

Discovery this season was overall a letdown. Pace was all over the place for me. All that build up for the 10c new race and I was fairly unimpressed honestly. I legit could forget them and not need to hear about them again ever.

Anyway cool cameo seeing hopefully the next Governor of Georgia in the finale

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So I just powered through Discovery. My fast forward button got some series punishment, I can tell you that. Who wrote this utter mess? How could any one read those scripts and think this was good??? Its utterly bizarre. I wasnt a huge fan of the first season, but it was watchable. Second season was a massive improvement, although in the end still suffered from the same issues and the overwhelming focus on Burnham really needed to be deal with. Season 3, instead of leaning into what they improved in season 2, they leaned into what made it shit. And the big reveal of "the burn" was so stupid I felt my IQ drop just watching it. But season 4...what the in the sweet feck is going on here? How can every character be so emotionally immature? How can they be the best and brightest, yet have no tools what so ever to deal with the stress of space flight and exploring the unknown? How can a ship constantly be without its a command staff and function reliably? And aliens who talk through emotions....feck off show. Felt like every other exchange between the characters was just one soapy exchange after another. I just binge watched 13 years of Dallas, it was 1 billion times better than this dog shit. And it actually was a soap that leaned heavily into the cheese.

Ive watched the first season of Picard, but Im leaving the rest till the end of the season. Its madness how that first episode of season 2 of Picard, even though it had a questionable first season, was able to get the star trek juices flowing again. But Disco just gives me eye strain from all the eye rolling. Safe to say, Im finally done. No more chances for this utter trash. And I guess I was supposed to know who the feck that woman was at the end, but I havent a clue. And dont even care enough to google it. Just trash. Utter, utter trash.

God it feels good to get that out of me. Just one more...it was trash. Im done.
Accidentally clicked on Discovery when I was searching for the next Picard episode and wound up watching a few minutes. I think the problem the show had since day one seems to still be a problem. Terrible characters that don't connect with the audience, which is compounded with low quality writing, and cartoonishly bad CGI and production design.

FWIW...I'm not particularly impressed with the first three episodes of Picard either. The writing there appears to not be at the level it was in season one, which may be because of the fact that most productions in LA took a break during COVID and have been generally disorganized in starting up again. I would expect Picard to get better as the year wears on.

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Accidentally clicked on Discovery when I was searching for the next Picard episode and wound up watching a few minutes. I think the problem the show had since day one seems to still be a problem. Terrible characters that don't connect with the audience, which is compounded with low quality writing, and cartoonishly bad CGI and production design.

FWIW...I'm not particularly impressed with the first three episodes of Picard either. The writing there appears to not be at the level it was in season one, which may be because of the fact that most productions in LA took a break during COVID and have been generally disorganized in starting up again. I would expect Picard to get better as the year wears on.
Yeah, the discovery crew are either just not interesting, unexplored, or just plain unlikeable. Theres a couple of scenes with space jesus and one the nameless bridge crew, different nameless crew member in each instance. But the first one is this guy stands up and says "Id like to lead the away team, captain." and rattles on for a bit. This is while theres impending doom approaching. ie, they are on a clock. Then a little bit later she contacts him for an update, and he gives her this big stupid speech about how hes so thankful for being able to lead the team because of something that happened to him in the past. And Im thinking, youre on a clock and youre standing around talking about your feelings and past trauma. And this is where the lack of character exploration for the other bridge crew comes in. Instead of us already knowing this guys back story, he has to tell us all in the most awkward and forced manner. I thought maybe he was just new as I didnt recognise him, but no. Hes been there since episode 5 of season 1.

The other interaction was heavily forced crew camaraderie. these two characters, burnham and black girl who sits at the navigation station, have had only fleeting moments together over the 4 years. But here they are acting like sisters, complete with pressing each others heads together in support. It just comes out of nowhere. I think back to 90s trek, and you can see over the course of the seasons the crew interact with each other and the relationships evolve. O'Brien and Bashir, Kim and Paris, Jayneway and Seven, Dax and Kira, and my personal favourite, Quark and Odo. Discovery has none of this, with maybe the exception of Space Jesus and Tilly. But they are both so painfully uninteresting is hard to know as I zone out.

I look back on 90s trek, even Voyager which I wasnt a huge fan of, and I think "we were spoiled rotten back then.". Hell, even the reboot movies can be enjoyed as popcorn fun. But these new trek shows seem to be being written by people that dont like star trek. But want to inject themselves into every part of star treks major events. Burnham is Spocks sister that no one knows about. She was the first to go to the mirror universe. She dealt with section 31 first. She completed unification where Spock apparently failed. The list goes on. And then theres the actress. Starts off the show as human doing an impression of a vulcan doing an impression of a human. Then out of nowhere shes just crying all the damn time. Angry crying at that. Her acting is so awful and cringe, its hard to know if its her or the writing thats the bigger issue.

Damn it, Im rage typing again. :lol: I hate this show so much.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah, the discovery crew are either just not interesting, unexplored, or just plain unlikeable. Theres a couple of scenes with space jesus and one the nameless bridge crew, different nameless crew member in each instance. But the first one is this guy stands up and says "Id like to lead the away team, captain." and rattles on for a bit. This is while theres impending doom approaching. ie, they are on a clock. Then a little bit later she contacts him for an update, and he gives her this big stupid speech about how hes so thankful for being able to lead the team because of something that happened to him in the past. And Im thinking, youre on a clock and youre standing around talking about your feelings and past trauma. And this is where the lack of character exploration for the other bridge crew comes in. Instead of us already knowing this guys back story, he has to tell us all in the most awkward and forced manner. I thought maybe he was just new as I didnt recognise him, but no. Hes been there since episode 5 of season 1.

The other interaction was heavily forced crew camaraderie. these two characters, burnham and black girl who sits at the navigation station, have had only fleeting moments together over the 4 years. But here they are acting like sisters, complete with pressing each others heads together in support. It just comes out of nowhere. I think back to 90s trek, and you can see over the course of the seasons the crew interact with each other and the relationships evolve. O'Brien and Bashir, Kim and Paris, Jayneway and Seven, Dax and Kira, and my personal favourite, Quark and Odo. Discovery has none of this, with maybe the exception of Space Jesus and Tilly. But they are both so painfully uninteresting is hard to know as I zone out.

I look back on 90s trek, even Voyager which I wasnt a huge fan of, and I think "we were spoiled rotten back then.". Hell, even the reboot movies can be enjoyed as popcorn fun. But these new trek shows seem to be being written by people that dont like star trek. But want to inject themselves into every part of star treks major events. Burnham is Spocks sister that no one knows about. She was the first to go to the mirror universe. She dealt with section 31 first. She completed unification where Spock apparently failed. The list goes on. And then theres the actress. Starts off the show as human doing an impression of a vulcan doing an impression of a human. Then out of nowhere shes just crying all the damn time. Angry crying at that. Her acting is so awful and cringe, its hard to know if its her or the writing thats the bigger issue.

Damn it, Im rage typing again. :lol: I hate this show so much.
I think it was the writing. The Trek that Brannon Braga was affiliated with was almost consistent fantastic.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If a new Star Trek series were being developed, what would you want to see in it ?
Something to do with Elite Force. That way you can have all of the great Star Trek diplomacy stuff whilst also watching things explode.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can anyone recommend which offshoot of Star Trek to get into. I have only seen the original series( too many times). I know there is Deep Space Nine, Next Gen and Discovery. I have been so bias and old school that I never gave any of these a shot.
My missus has watched all of them and told me to watch TNG to pop my Trek cherry. I did and thought it was absolutely fecking dire after about ten episodes into the first season, but she told/threatened me to stick with it. I'm glad I did because everything after that shaky first season was phenomenal.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Press the factory reset button because this era of Trek has been shite.

I do wonder if part of the problem is that with reduced episodes in a season it makes it harder to flesh out secondary characters. But given we've had 4 seasons of Discovery and you still can't name the bridge crew that tells you how bad the writing/character development is in that show. I did give it a chance, watched 3 seasons and still didn't really enjoy watching it.

It needs to go back to where character development is the main focus of the show. Have a slower pace, great dialogue, great characters with a slow brooding storyline gradually kicking in.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
My missus has watched all of them and told me to watch TNG to pop my Trek cherry. I did and thought it was absolutely fecking dire after about ten episodes into the first season, but she told/threatened me to stick with it. I'm glad I did because everything after that shaky first season was phenomenal.
Haven’t started any yet. I have seen all the original episodes thrice at least throughout my life. I have to give one show a chance at least

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can anyone recommend which offshoot of Star Trek to get into. I have only seen the original series( too many times). I know there is Deep Space Nine, Next Gen and Discovery. I have been so bias and old school that I never gave any of these a shot.
Best to do them sequentially - TNG, DS9/Voyager, Enterprise, then Picard