Television Star Trek

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Really good third episode. The difference between this and Discovery is night and day

choccy77

Really good third episode. The difference between this and Discovery is night and day
Only thing is, when it comes to time travel stories... you always know one is gonna get lost or in trouble... happens every time.

They could do something a little different just once.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Given we're talking about 90s Trek at the moment. Thought i'd share this video:

For a modern game it seems to hit some the 90s feel. I normally hate Trek games but this actually feels like Star Trek.

That'sHernandez

For a modern game it seems to hit some the 90s feel. I normally hate Trek games but this actually feels like Star Trek.
Holy crap, this looks like TNG when it is at its absolute best.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've never watched the original series, but I stumbled upon this scene:

That is peak Star Trek. Just a beautiful scene.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Gimme gimme gimme.

Edit: oh feck off, the PC version is exclusive to that fecking Epic store.

Bole Top

I still like the show and I think it can work as an blockbuster ST, just not with the current crew. there's no chemistry between them, no rivalries. come to think of it, there's no villains at all. ever heard of show without one? even cartoons have them ffs. in general, characters in any show simply have to grow, evolve, suffer, get up (or even die), and in the end they simply have to be human, not perfect as Michael is. I want to see them broken at times and their beliefs shattered, similar to Sisko in DS9. plus, they simply have to be more interesting than the ones in Discovery. you can't just be gay and that's it, that's your character. you're lesbian? great, that's the purpose of your character. you're transgender? excellent, now we have that as well. I love how they casually erased Gray from the show. he isn't dead, he simply has no purpose outside of being transgender. unbelievable. Discovery is almost like a commercial for these things. from the first interracial kiss ever recorded on TV (Uhura and Kirk) to this, to every modern cliche stuck together in the show simply because people are buying into these stuff.

very underwhelming ending btw, even shitter than the last episode of ENT. stupid name for the species, you don't even see them very well, just unimaginative altogether. wouldn't it be better if they just made Voth wanting to reclaim their old home, Earth, after 65 millions years spent in delta quadrant? give me some credit, that's a great idea. I always thought that was among the best episodes in Voyager. just use them or similar species and you'll have your excuse for "saving the galaxy" type of season again.

I simply don't understand why they didn't remain in normal setting/timeline. Federation vs Klingons in S1 was good. Federation vs Control in S2 with the addition of Spock was good. S3 was interesting because I was curious to see the state of everything after the burning and the collapse of Federation. but these anomalies and super-species are almost always the wrong step, you can't to anything with them. imo, the new show with Pike simply has to return to the origins, meaning I want Cardassians and their foul play back, Romulan warbirds decloaking and Klingons being Klingons, basically TOS/TNG/DS9 setting. no more empty space, no more time travel, angels from future, space disasters and godlike species. there simply has to be everyday life for the crew just like there was in TNG/DS9/VOY. Discovery is basically series of final fights to save the universe, I mean they're literally saving the universe every day 0-24 but the strangest thing is, S1 wasn't like that. while I like the show, the best thing would be to end it this way and just put all the effort and budget into the "New Worlds". otherwise, what you can you really do in S5 other than inventing new anomalies/superspecies?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
its fine, but why is it so… hacky?

I’m not one of those “everything was better in the old days” wankers, it was always spotty and occasionally dreadful… But the best of peak Trek (like with Dr Who or the Twilight Zone) felt like smart conceptual Sci Fi writers learning how to write basic TV scripts. Whereas this (and what I’ve seen of Discovery) seems like hacky TV writers learning how to write basic Sci Fi concepts.

Everything’s just so needlessly melodramatic and nothing ever gets to the point. Everything’s drawn out beyond belief, to the point where the actual plot of first episode started about 40 minutes in.

You just know whatever shit they’re gonna pull with Picards mother is going to be groan worthy chosen one shite.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Patrick Stewart is not great in this.

When do you think the last time a director said to him "nah, not like that Sir Pat, try it like this .."
He seems very frail, almost to the point where its hard to believe a guy that old could do what he's doing on the show.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
its fine, but why is it so… hacky?

I’m not one of those “everything was better in the old days” wankers, it was always spotty and occasionally dreadful… But the best of peak Trek (like with Dr Who or the Twilight Zone) felt like smart conceptual Sci Fi writers learning how to write basic TV scripts. Whereas this (and what I’ve seen of Discovery) seems like hacky TV writers learning how to write basic Sci Fi concepts.

Everything’s just so needlessly melodramatic and nothing ever gets to the point. Everything’s drawn out beyond belief, to the point where the actual plot of first episode started about 40 minutes in.

You just know whatever shit they’re gonna pull with Picards mother is going to be groan worthy chosen one shite.
I think part of the reason is that this new group don't have much Trek experience. If Akiva and Kurtzman had any sense, they would bring Brannon Braga and Manny Coto back to write for the show.

Mockney

I think part of the reason is that this new group don't have much Trek experience. If Akiva and Kurtzman had any sense, they would bring Brannon Braga and Manny Coto back to write for the show.
I don’t think you even need to go that far (and would very much be a “let’s just do the old stuff again”) you just need to get people in who know how to properly structure episodes! Goldsman & Kurtzman are notoriously responsible for some god awful drek, particularly muddled, poorly paced, over-complicated but somehow also over simplistic drek. Kurtzman alone is responsible for Transformers, Into Darkness, The Amazing Spiderman 2 and The Mummy reboot - I mean Jesus Christ the man is walking disaster of incoherent story telling!!

Ep2 at least seemed like a single coherent episode. We were introduced to a scenario, which our characters overcame by the end. Though my disposition to it might simply have been that everyone having to act like the cold fascist versions of themselves stopped them operating at an emotional 10 at all times.

Plus Stewart is too old. It’s harsh, but he just doesn’t have the charisma to carry a show anymore. He’s just kinda reading the lines and looking a bit lost, alternatively shifting between whispering and shouting, because that’s how we know he’s acting.

Mockney

Patrick Stewart is not great in this.

When do you think the last time a director said to him "nah, not like that Sir Pat, try it like this .."
He’s really not, though there’s a bit in the new one where he has to do the “wobbling in your seat” Star Trek acting, and he’s giving it at least 400% more wobble than anyone else… I was worried he was having a turn

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Weird how the comments are attacking Discovery the show when this has nothing to do with that show. It's just a weird collection of short stories from what I can gather. Never watched it, never intended on doing so. It's kind of like a weird attempt at an Office style humour under the Star Trek brand. No thanks.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Weird how the comments are attacking Discovery the show when this has nothing to do with that show. It's just a weird collection of short stories from what I can gather. Never watched it, never intended on doing so. It's kind of like a weird attempt at an Office style humour under the Star Trek brand. No thanks.
Haven’t watched it either. The same channel has previously critiqued Discovery for the same thing.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Haven’t watched it either. The same channel has previously critiqued Discovery for the same thing.
From the 3 seasons of Discovery I've watched I wouldn't say it's woke. There was a character that was gender non conforming, but Star Trek was always a show that wouldn't shy away from such subjects. It's not a well written show with dull characters. That's what lets it down.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
From the 3 seasons of Discovery I've watched I wouldn't say it's woke. There was a character that was gender non conforming, but Star Trek was always a show that wouldn't shy away from such subjects. It's not a well written show with dull characters. That's what lets it down.
Yeah that’s been my critique as well. The casting, the characters themselves, the writing, and the production design have been off imo. It’s like the new writers are not in sync with what made good Trek in the past and are just making it up as they go along as if it’s a brand new sci fi show that doesn’t have 55 years of history behind it.

Big Andy

Bloke
And where's Worf?
feck Worf, all we really want to know is "What's going on with Wesley Crusher these days?"

Star Trek - Crusher should be their next show, with the misadventures of Captain Wesley Crusher and his awkward relationship with his ghost step dad.

That'sHernandez

Yeah that’s been my critique as well. The casting, the characters themselves, the writing, and the production design have been off imo. It’s like the new writers are not in sync with what made good Trek in the past and are just making it up as they go along as if it’s a brand new sci fi show that doesn’t have 55 years of history behind it.
That's basically always been my description of Discovery: It's a modern sci-fi in the Star Trek universe, but it's not Star Trek.

choccy77

Great nod to Star Trek The Voyage Home Film in this episode.

Also directed by Lea Thompson.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Great nod to Star Trek The Voyage Home Film in this episode.

Also directed by Lea Thompson.
Same punk actor from Voyage Home as well apparently

Decent episode, but the writing is still a bit on the mediocre side imo, especially the Rafi and Agnes Juraiti characters. And the idea of going back to LA 2024 was a bit on the underwhelming side.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Well, Paramount is coming out with a series that looks to be the one I’ve been waiting for since the original one. Star Trek Strange New Worlds is streaming May 5th. A prequel to the original with Captain Pike and young officer Spock. The trailer is on Paramount now.

choccy77

Same punk actor from Voyage Home as well apparently

Decent episode, but the writing is still a bit on the mediocre side imo, especially the Rafi and Agnes Juraiti characters. And the idea of going back to LA 2024 was a bit on the underwhelming side.

Actually, he is a writer in Hollywood and started at ILM, look him up. I was quite surprised a few years ago to learn about him. (Kirk Thatcher)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Get back to the strange new worlds, and civilizations, journeys into the unknown, really get out there with the imagination.

Something more emotionally intelligent that the nihilistic melodrama crossed with absurdly unsubtle insertion of contemporary social politics. Note, this does not mean you can't do politically motivated stuff(it would be ridiculous to suggest that given the history of ST) but it is so on the nose in stuff like Discovery and Picard to be obnoxious. Get better writers, challenge them to it with some nuance.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The latest episode of Picard had a little cameo from someone who appeared in Star Trek IV which was a nice touch.

Bole Top

I watched first 4 episodes of the second season of Picard. so far I'd say it's not bad but not really great either. underwhelming dialogues and acting I must say. David Moyes has more personality than Raffi, Rios and Jurati combined. easily the worst supporting cast of all ST shows, no contest.

writing is underwhelming as well. obviously, we have anomalies and time travel again, seem to be a pattern these days. and am I imaginating stuff or Seven of Nine and Raffi are both gay suddenly? wasn't Raffi married and even had son in S1? she's too boring to remember, but I'm 99% sure it was the case. Seven was in love with Chakotay on Voy and they even married in one timeline, that' I'm 100% sure of.

seriously.

That'sHernandez

Given Seven was always attempting to explore aspects of humanity/her humanity I don't think it's outlandish that she may also explore the possibility that her sexuality is a spectrum. Seems like a really weird thing to nitpick on, and to be honest the Chakotay romance side story always felt forced and crowbarred in for the sake of having Jeri in a 'sexy red dress' anyway.

Bole Top

Given Seven was always attempting to explore aspects of humanity/her humanity I don't think it's outlandish that she may also explore the possibility that her sexuality is a spectrum.
seem to be less complicated than that actually.

In a new interview, Michelle Hurd (Raffi Musiker) explained the origins of this relationship, and it’s not because of character development or good storytelling. Hurd said the decision to put Seven of Nine and Raffi in a relationship was simply because Jeri Ryan and Michelle Hurd looked good together. It seems as though the writers of Star Trek: Picard saw them standing near each other at a comic book convention and that’s when inspiration struck. Hurd says in the interview of this new relationship:

“We were all at a comic con and Jeri [Ryan] and I were just hanging out, and one of our cast members took a picture of us. We were both looking good, whatever, and [the photo] goes back to our producers and writers and literally, you could just see them looking at that picture and they were like [makes whispering sounds]. It just made them go, “Wait! This could be a possibility”. So they sort of floated it to us and we were like, “all good!”
yeah.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Well, it started off alright but its went down hill. The writing is dire. The characters are dire, and for people who supposed to be career federation they dont have a single clue what professionalism is. Raffi has been reduced to an emotional woman trope that just cant get a hold of her self. Im watching this and thinking back to 90s trek and everyone being professional most of the time. Q Who, 18 people die. Sonja gomez, and Ensign in struggling with it. But its Geordie that tells her to pull it together because shit still has to get done. And she does. It was a moment for a young and inexperienced officer. Raffi is supposed to a commander, yet shes losing her shit all over the place. Just an awful character.

And what is with everyone having a tragic back story?? Is this supposed to give the characters depth? Because it doesnt. It makes them a joke. Where are the young bright eyed young hopefuls who grew up inspired and wanted to have their own adventures? Urgh. I hate Kurtzman and his shitty writing. No trek was better than this dog shit.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Brent Spiner was decent in this episode. His scene with Q was fairly a positive. Borg Queen is somewhat interesting... and that's about it.

Everything revolves around Picard including his every detail of the past. So much for exploration and Elnor's development as a character for this season. :lol: