Television Star Trek

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They cancelled this on Netflix few days before it's release last year. Was looking forward to it but not enough to pirate the season.

choccy77

They cancelled this on Netflix few days before it's release last year. Was looking forward to it but not enough to pirate the season.
That's cos Sky got their hands on it by partially owning Paramount +

Amir

Discovery returned with an episode that looked like a typical drama show that just happens to be in space. Terrible.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just binging TNG on Netflix. Easily one of the best shows I’ve ever watched, and I’ve still got a lot left to watch of it. The cast is phenomenal - all of them are brilliant actors and play characters I can emotionally invest into - the acting in general is captivating, great writing, gripping stories, cool sets. Can’t get enough of it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Can anyone recommend which offshoot of Star Trek to get into. I have only seen the original series( too many times). I know there is Deep Space Nine, Next Gen and Discovery. I have been so bias and old school that I never gave any of these a shot.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can anyone recommend which offshoot of Star Trek to get into. I have only seen the original series( too many times). I know there is Deep Space Nine, Next Gen and Discovery. I have been so bias and old school that I never gave any of these a shot.
I cannot recommend The Next Generation enough!

I've seen the odd episodes of Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise on tele and have enjoyed what I've seen of them, too, but I haven't watched enough to comment on them, really. I'm waiting until I've pretty much finished TNG until I move on to them I think.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
TNG is good, DS9 is without a doubt the best writing you will see in Star Trek thus far in my opinion. It's one of those series that gets better on the second watching when you catch little details and hints you missed the first time around. TNG is decent in a different way, and always an easy watch. Enterprise isn't too bad either.

Smores

Just binging TNG on Netflix. Easily one of the best shows I’ve ever watched, and I’ve still got a lot left to watch of it. The cast is phenomenal - all of them are brilliant actors and play characters I can emotionally invest into - the acting in general is captivating, great writing, gripping stories, cool sets. Can’t get enough of it.
I'm coming towards the end of TNG and i agree wholeheartedly. It's a fantastic series not just by star trek standards but by any standard.

Very few bad episodes and it does a fantastic job of giving each character focus. So few shows do episode driven stories today that it's very refreshing.

Bole Top

TNG of course. my personal favorite is DS9, but it simply makes no sense to skip TNG. just follow the order.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm coming towards the end of TNG and i agree wholeheartedly. It's a fantastic series not just by star trek standards but by any standard.

Very few bad episodes and it does a fantastic job of giving each character focus. So few shows do episode driven stories today that it's very refreshing.
Shows how well the show stands up today that we can find it so easy to get into despite having no history or nostalgia based bias to help. I don't even find the outdated cgi bothersome because of how immersive the show is. You still lose yourself into the stories and characters because of how great everything else is.

I love how the show makes me think "would I have done that?" or eloquently shows both sides of an argument/dilemma thus making you think even more of what is the right thing to do. Some of my favourite scenes are just Data asking innocent, but tough, questions and the rest of the crew coming up with answers that make you go "huh, that's so true!" or something along those lines. The show even manages to get me to emotionally invest into characters that are there for a cup of tea; like the episode with Data's daughter for example. Just phenomenal writing.

I can't see any other Star Trek series topping it for me, but I am looking forward to DS9 next. Hearing so many people (including @That'sHernandez & @Bole Top above) say it's their favourite excites me. From the odd episode I've caught on tv whilst channel surfing over the years, I'm positive I'll enjoy it, but I don't know about topping TNG!

That'sHernandez

Not a terrible thing... Frankly I don't want to see Picard die (he kind of did already).
Neither do I, it just takes something from the experience when I know a character is going to get out of whatever situation there is because there’s already another season ordered

Bole Top

I can't see any other Star Trek series topping it for me, but I am looking forward to DS9 next. Hearing so many people (including @That'sHernandez & @Bole Top above) say it's their favourite excites me. From the odd episode I've caught on tv whilst channel surfing over the years, I'm positive I'll enjoy it, but I don't know about topping TNG!
be aware that we're still in minority. DS9 wasn't really everybody's cup of tea in those years and I think it's TNG > DS9 easily for majority of fans. personally, I've always found it incredible that you can be "trekkie" but not really love DS9 that much, yet that was precisely the case for many people. I think it's because of two major differences between DS9 and TNG (or any other ST show); the first one is that DS9 is basically soap opera on stationary space station, while TNG of course is based almost entirely on ship moving freely through space.

the second major diffrence is that DS9 is way darker, filled with flawed characters. not to mention the show has no problems with killing familiar/important characters. the villains are far better than in any ST show and in general, the number of characters is simply insane. obviously, it takes time to develop all those characters which is why everyone will say the show doesn't really start until the third or fourth season, and soon after that DS9 almost entirely commits to the war themes without much exploring.

DS9 requires more patience, but it's worth it.

That'sHernandez

Shows how well the show stands up today that we can find it so easy to get into despite having no history or nostalgia based bias to help. I don't even find the outdated cgi bothersome because of how immersive the show is. You still lose yourself into the stories and characters because of how great everything else is.

I love how the show makes me think "would I have done that?" or eloquently shows both sides of an argument/dilemma thus making you think even more of what is the right thing to do. Some of my favourite scenes are just Data asking innocent, but tough, questions and the rest of the crew coming up with answers that make you go "huh, that's so true!" or something along those lines. The show even manages to get me to emotionally invest into characters that are there for a cup of tea; like the episode with Data's daughter for example. Just phenomenal writing.

I agree with @Bole Top. DS9 is full of flawed characters, which I personally think makes them all far more relatable, particularly in comparison to TNG where they are all essentially squeaky clean and do very little wrong. I also think what DS9 benefits from is there is no 'monster/alien of the week', and those episodes mostly take place during the early seasons where character building and introductions are going on.

With regards to the CGI, it was remastered in the early 2000s. It's not as good as it is these days, obviously, but it still holds up. To be honest the only ST I can't bring myself to re-watch is Voyager as I found that a really difficult slog, particularly towards the end.

Big Andy

Bloke
Episode 1 of series 2 is out on Amazon, I’ll watch that later. Weekly release.

choccy77

Was a great first episode and the trailer afterwards was great too.

Already better than season 1 which is what should happen.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Well, off to a good start. Wasnt the first seasons biggest fan, and didnt have high hopes for this going forward. But Im pleasantly surprised. It was fun. And best of all they appear of have gotten rid of that horrible actress that was the focus of the first season. But life cant be that good, so Im sure she'll turn up again and bring the ham.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Watched the first episode of Picard season 2 tonight and quite enjoyed it. Put me in a trek mood so banged on discovery. Why do I keep forgetting how terrible this show is? I was rolling my eyes inside 30 seconds.

Need a ds9 palate cleanser me thinks.

Special shout out to @Salt Bailly for keeping me on my toes with the late night posting snafus.

Last edited:

Bobski

Expected very little but that was surprisingly decent. Dialogue was not as cringe as the first season, huge sigh of relief about that.

Bobski

If a new Star Trek series were being developed, what would you want to see in it ?
Get back to the strange new worlds, and civilizations, journeys into the unknown, really get out there with the imagination.

Something more emotionally intelligent that the nihilistic melodrama crossed with absurdly unsubtle insertion of contemporary social politics. Note, this does not mean you can't do politically motivated stuff(it would be ridiculous to suggest that given the history of ST) but it is so on the nose in stuff like Discovery and Picard to be obnoxious. Get better writers, challenge them to it with some nuance.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Q sending s.o.s. bait message to Picard is pretty much identical to the one in Event Horizon from 1997. Exact same manner & similar outcome.

That one episode overshadowed entire Discovery.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If a new Star Trek series were being developed, what would you want to see in it ?
They'll squeeze what they can from Picard, but they really should give it rest for few years and in the meantime start writing something completely new and assemble fresh and well written crew. No more recycling, no more bringing back old crew members, the new show simply needs to start exploring itself or it'll go path of Star Wars... or worse.

It was running on fumes from quite a while with occasional decent characters like Kelpien Saru or oddly interesting potential in Narissa Rizzo, but this time it needs to be more thoughtful and bring something meaningful other than quick nostalgia fix.

If The Expanse could do a decent job for 6 seasons, Star Trek should be more capable of that.

dinostar77

DS9 is the darkest of the Star Trek series. The story arcs we take for granted in most shows now were a new concept when DS9 aired.

TNG is very good. If you have the time, TNG followed by DS9. Your in for a treat both shows are great. Between them they make up alot of the top ten star trek epsiodes of all time. Personally DS9 is my favourite trek of all time.