Gaming Star Wars Battlefront II

Siorac

The open beta is now live for Star Wars Battlefront II. Is anyone playing? What are your first impressions?

Long-ass gameplay videos are available now, like this one:

Siorac

Where do I download it? Can't see it on the store. PC that is.
Not sure. These are the instructions:

On October 6, open the Origin client and go to Free Games.
Click on Star Wars Battlefront II Beta, and choose Add to Game Library.
Go to My Game Library, find the Star Wars Battlefront II Beta tile and click on it.
Click Download.
If it's not live yet, you might want to check later today I guess.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I remember when the first battlefront came out I tried to watch some 4K footage on YouTube and my laptop nearly died. How on earth are graphics this good now?

The Bloody-Nine

I remember when the first battlefront came out I tried to watch some 4K footage on YouTube and my laptop nearly died. How on earth are graphics this good now?
The graphics in the last one were amazing. Pity the game play was deep as a puddle.

Marcelinho87

On PC go to FREE GAMES > DEMOS & BETAS and it is in there :)

I will download the BETA and give it a whirl but I think I may be waiting on the season pass bundle before I buy.

Siorac

On PC go to FREE GAMES > DEMOS & BETAS and it is in there :)

I will download the BETA and give it a whirl but I think I may be waiting on the season pass bundle before I buy.
It won't have a season pass, all DLCs are free. Hence the pay-to-win schemes.

Marcelinho87

It won't have a season pass, all DLCs are free. Hence the pay-to-win schemes.
Ah didn't know that! Either way I play BF1 religiously and with Destiny 2 preordered and PUBG in my list of games I play I will have to wait on SW for the time being.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Downloading now. Just upgraded to a gtx 1060 so can't wait to see how it looks.

Beta lasts until Monday by the looks of it.

Marcelinho87

Its... alright? Looks great but I ain't sold on something, dunno what it is.

Also the fuzzy looking menu's etc are pissing me off.

Siorac

I did play the first game. It was... okay. Not enough content at release, fragmented population due to the bullshit DLC system undermined it. Could have been better.

Here, I'm mostly worried about the pay to win aspect.

The Bloody-Nine

I played the first one, too. It was amusing for a couple of hours. I'm interested to see how this one compares. Primarily, is there any more depth to it. Of course, the inevitable pay to win bollocks means I'll probably end up skipping it regardless.

redom

I played the beta of the first one, enjoyed it and bought the full game but didn't get around to playing it right away and by the time I thought about playing it there had been multiple DLC releases and didn't know if there would even be enough players on the base version so never bothered, it still has it's packaging on to this day. Having said that I'll probably give this beta a shot on PS4, Maul looks insane.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
First one was fairly decent but lacked in content. It was very accessible for beginners and people who are not obsessed with shooters and have played them online for several thousand hours which was the biggest plus for me.

The Bloody-Nine

First one was fairly decent but lacked in content. It was very accessible for beginners and people who are not obsessed with shooters and have played them online for several thousand hours which was the biggest plus for me.
I think that was probably my issue. Played a lot of MP shooters over the years.

acnumber9

From what I've played of this Beta so far it seems a lot more difficult. Which will suit some I'm sure but my early impressions aren't as positive as I would've been for the first one. The Beta is a bit dull. Only three game modes to play and one map for each.

Blind

The first one was alright, still one of the best looking and sounding games this gen but all the maps felt like hollow film sets and the only way to play was in third person or you were at a massive disadvantage. Also the smaller modes were a bit rubbish so if you wanted a break from the 40 player battles you'd be playing very standard multiplayer modes without the spectacle in a game with mechanics that don't feel nearly as polished as the graphics.

Simbo

Refusing to try this as the first one somehow convinced me to buy the season pass and I've not got over it yet.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I've only just bought the first so I'll give this one a miss :D

Quite enjoying #1, couldn't grumble if it was rubbish really at £4 with all the DLC included. Pay more than that for a pint some places.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It'll take some convincing after the first one. I'm more inclined to give Destiny another chance with the sequel...

Cypriot

Played the BETA for a bit on Xbox One and the game just looks awful. Graphically that is, and the framerate is really bad and drops dramatically when you sprint. Everything is blurry and those damn birds on Naboo seem to mess with the framerate a lot too. Hopefully this is all due to it being a beta because I thought BF1 ran great. Anyone else on Xbox having these issues?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Loving the beta. The space battle controls are a bit difficult (probably just me). Can’t wait for the full game & campaign mode.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Out Friday and the first professional reviews starting to come in. Metacritic 80 average so far with 'provisional score' IGN 70, Gamespot 60 and Games Radar at 80. Haven't heard of any of the others.

Getting absolutely caned on the interwebs with its pay to win loot system and "unlockable" heroes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Out Friday and the first professional reviews starting to come in. Metacritic 80 average so far with 'provisional score' IGN 70, Gamespot 60 and Games Radar at 80. Haven't heard of any of the others.

Getting absolutely caned on the interwebs with its pay to win loot system and "unlockable" heroes.
Apparently the actual main character is pay to unlock.

AXVnee7

It’s sad that potentially good if not great games get ruined by greed.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Apparently the actual main character is pay to unlock.
Darth Vadar, Skywalker, Palpatine, Chewbaca, Iden Versio and Leia all need to be unlocked. Tbh the loot box / crafting / card system looks like an utter mess and the initial reviews seem to back that up as well.

A pity but I'll wait a few weeks and see what state the game is in then. Pay to win multi player games are a complete joke IMO. Should be cosmetics only

Cypriot

I won't be spending a penny on the crates but after playing 9 hours of the free trial so far I am addicted. The gameplay is fantastic and I actually seem to be good at this one. The last game has been gathering dust on my shelf since about 3 weeks after it came out but this one feels a lot better! Ordered the game happily and whereas some people have already spent money during the trial - I've more than competed playing normally and have come top a lot of the times too.

P.S. The maps are stunning too, especially Kashykk and Mos Eisley!

Runner

they reduced the cost of heroes by 75% after the shitshow today on reddit. more than 400k downvotes the biggest in reddit history. this lead to several death threats to one dev.

im getting a free copy so i don't care about having to grind a bit. looking forward to trying it

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
they reduced the cost of heroes by 75% after the shitshow today on reddit. more than 400k downvotes the biggest in reddit history. this lead to several death threats to one dev.
:eek: Why that one in particular?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

im getting a free copy so i don't care about having to grind a bit. looking forward to trying it
Heard they've also reduced rewards too by about 75%. :lol: and griding to unlock the best characters was always the best, I used to enjoy starting shit and working my way up to the best.

Must have ploughed way too much time into diablo ii for the best gear.

Being Darth Vader isn't much different to an RPG/diablo type game. It's just a different skin but with more power than the starting one.

AXVnee7

That's EA's modus operandi and has been for about ten years now. People can complain all they want but nothing will change unless consumers actually take action and boycott them. That won't happen though
They’ve gotten a real backlash over battlefront 2 though and I think their response became the most downvotes in Reddit history or something like that. You can see above that a poster has said it’s been reduced by 75%.

I read somewhere that Gamespot spent $100 in micro transactions yet didn’t even come up with half the credits needed to purchase one of the heroes.

I understand that it’s a business and EA are out to make money, but what they originally planned was flat out extortion.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's exactly what it is, extortion.

They do the same with FIFA. EA must look back to how it used to be and laugh at how stupid they were. Back in the day they sold you the game for £29.99, and then that was it until the following year. You had every feature immediately and could play as whoever you liked. They gave you the full game.

Then somewhere along the line they realised that not only can they get away with charging £50 for the game, they can give it to you with no players and make it some year long quest to 'earn' players like Ronaldo. Unless you want to pay for packs of course, then you can have him now.

This is on top of the fact that you now have to pay to play the game online, when it used to be free. I've no doubt every move they make now is carefully planned to squeeze even more cash out of you.

Siorac

Heard they've also reduced rewards too by about 75%. :lol: and griding to unlock the best characters was always the best, I used to enjoy starting shit and working my way up to the best.

Must have ploughed way too much time into diablo ii for the best gear.

Being Darth Vader isn't much different to an RPG/diablo type game. It's just a different skin but with more power than the starting one.
Yup, apparently finishing the campaign would have earned you 20,000 but now it's just 5,000.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
They’ve gotten a real backlash over battlefront 2 though and I think their response became the most downvotes in Reddit history or something like that. You can see above that a poster has said it’s been reduced by 75%.

I read somewhere that Gamespot spent $100 in micro transactions yet didn’t even come up with half the credits needed to purchase one of the heroes.

I understand that it’s a business and EA are out to make money, but what they originally planned was flat out extortion.
That's just it though, it's a lot of noise and shaking of fists but EA are still laughing all the way to the bank and back. Every year people get sucked into buying FIFA and EA earn truckloads of cash from it. The thing is, outside making a lot of money, there is really no good reason to release FIFA on a yearly basis since everyone is online and updating squads is easy

At the end of the day EA is a publicly traded company and are in the business to make money. Not going to be a hypocrite here, i have bought EA games and will probably do so in the future

Siorac

That's just it though, it's a lot of noise and shaking of fists but EA are still laughing all the way to the bank and back. Every year people get sucked into buying FIFA and EA earn truckloads of cash from it. The thing is, outside making a lot of money, there is really no good reason to release FIFA on a yearly basis since everyone is online and updating squads is easy

At the end of the day EA is a publicly traded company and are in the business to make money. Not going to be a hypocrite here, i have bought EA games and will probably do so in the future
They still would have made an absolute shitload of money if all the microtransactions were cosmetic. Like the Overwatch or LoL model.

When it comes to lootboxes, which are basically gambling, I find even cosmetic stuff somewhat problematic from an ethical perspective but it looks like EA just can't help themselves, they have to outdo all the others when it comes to questionable business practices. They are basically a cartoon villain at this stage.

The Bloody-Nine

They are competing with Activision for scumbag company of the year. Activision might be slightly in the lead due to their in game algorithms which are designed to 'drive microtransactions'. Putting you in a lobby against players who have pay to win, supply drop weapons is delightfully devious. C*nts.

I am just not going to buy their games.

AXVnee7

Yeah I do get that. IMO what EA did is a step too far even by their standards, although I don't expect the whole micro-transactions practice to disappear. It's a part of the industry now. It's a shame.