Gaming Star Wars Battlefront II

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The first Battlefront though didn't seem all that popular, and nowhere near as popular as it should have been, due to them basically making it half a game, and then promising to add bits (which you had to pay again for).

This one again. I've heard virtually nothing about it. A lot of people just don't seem interested in it at all. It's a fecking Star Wars game...ordinarily it would be all over my FB timeline and there'd be a massive thread on every forum going...if they had put effort into the game instead of thinking up ever more ridiculous ways to make people pay more to play it, it would be massively more popular than it is.

So I'm not sure they really gain that much from it. They've basically ruined what could have been an amazing game series, and possibly one of the most popular ever, in pursuit of squeezing a bit of extra money out of what can only be a percentage of the people who actually buy it, which is in itself only a percentage of people of who potentially would have bought it. In doing so have brought about a negative backlash which seems to have provoked more attention than the game itself.
Someone on reddit posted an article explaining this, and as you i thought this was the case, that these schemes would backfire on them and reduce overall income, but surprisingly it does not in most cases. Even though most people are very negative towards locked content and microtransactions, and they might even lose potential customers over it, they make huge profits it if you look at the bigger picture. Even games that get tonnes of bad publicity over these profits from it.

Hell, EA have been voted "worst company" for many successive years now and pretty much any new release is met with outrage because of their underhanded schemes, so far though it has not stopped them. That being said: Maybe, just maybe this time will be the straw that broke the camels back

bucky

I think a lot of it comes from first game being the same. Many seemed to think it ruined an otherwise great game, and this was the first clue that they've done the exact same thing with the sequel. I haven't played either, but I get the frustration.
I get the frustration as well, but sending death threats? Or boycotting the game because you can play a hero in a certain era they are not supposed to be in? It's a game for fecks sake. Being able to play Yoda against Vader or Vader during the Clone Wars maps isn't really something you need to complain about IMO. And I really hope they add someone like Mace Windu to the mix.

The whole pay to win argument doesn't work for me either, since it doesn't appear to be game breaking. You can pay and have an advantage, that much is certain and they messed up the loot crate system in correlation to your rewards in-game, but they made adjustments to the 2015 version as well. IMO they shouldn't have reduced Vader's price, but instead should reward you more, if you do well in the game. Doing the challengs was something I enjoyed during the previous game.

Kaos

I get the frustration as well, but sending death threats? Or boycotting the game because you can play a hero in a certain era they are not supposed to be in? It's a game for fecks sake. Being able to play Yoda against Vader or Vader during the Clone Wars maps isn't really something you need to complain about IMO. And I really hope they add someone like Mace Windu to the mix.

The whole pay to win argument doesn't work for me either, since it doesn't appear to be game breaking. You can pay and have an advantage, that much is certain and they messed up the loot crate system in correlation to your rewards in-game, but they made adjustments to the 2015 version as well. IMO they shouldn't have reduced Vader's price, but instead should reward you more, if you do well in the game. Doing the challengs was something I enjoyed during the previous game.
The FPS genre should reward player skill, not those with the deepest wallets. Any sort of advantage that is earned through a microtransaction instead of merit is pay2win.

I mean its the nonsense you get from a mobile game, except those games are free at base level, this is a full price AAA game - why are we getting punished for opting not to pay beyond the £50 entry game price.

AXVnee7

A game that people have shelled out a lot of their hard earned money for. Now on top they're being expected to grind 40+ hours to unlock a character (and more characters are similarly locked), or pay up even more to gamble for the chance to get him.

Your average gamer just isn't going to be able to put in the time, or have the will required to unlock the characters. So they're more likely to go for loot boxes. I've no problem with unlocking characters or whatever through gameplay progression, but it's obvious this system is not designed to challenge and reward players, but instead extract every last penny.

bucky

The FPS genre should reward player skill, not those with the deepest wallets. Any sort of advantage that is earned through a microtransaction instead of merit is pay2win.

I mean its the nonsense you get from a mobile game, except those games are free at base level, this is a full price AAA game - why are we getting punished for opting not to pay beyond the £50 entry game price.
I disagree to a certain extent. You can choose to pay or you can grind. The latter they've already made easier following the criticism. It's not going to stop there. They made adjustments to the 2015 game and they will do so here, I think, especially with that amount of criticism. And if you read the whole post, I said what they should have done is, reward those more, who do well. I'm not saying that this all doesn't warrant criticism, but the reaction is a bit overblown. I think without paying you are still able to enjoy the game. I had a bigger issues with the the 2015 game and its season pass.

Last edited:

bucky

A game that people have shelled out a lot of their hard earned money for. Now on top they're being expected to grind 40+ hours to unlock a character (and more characters are similarly locked), or pay up even more to gamble for the chance to get him.

Your average gamer just isn't going to be able to put in the time, or have the will required to unlock the characters. So they're more likely to go for loot boxes. I've no problem with unlocking characters or whatever through gameplay progression, but it's obvious this system is not designed to challenge and reward players, but instead extract every last penny.
They made mistakes when it comes to your rewards in game. Vader's price compared to your rewards in-game was ridiculous, no doubt. But again, they've already reduced the price of the most expensive heroes and I think they will make more improvements. I'm not sure how much I can fault them, if there are people out there, who are willing to drop that money. I won't do it, but if others choose to do so, I don't really care.

Siorac

I think a lot of it comes from first game being the same. Many seemed to think it ruined an otherwise great game, and this was the first clue that they've done the exact same thing with the sequel. I haven't played either, but I get the frustration.
Actually, it's not the same thing. The first game didn't have any sort of pay-to-win element, it was frustrating for a different but no less annoying reason: the season pass. Basically the game launched with at best half a game's worth of content and then the rest of the stuff was added in DLCs. That meant that the game very quickly got stale and boring at launch while the subsequent DLCs fragmented the shrinking player base.

In its current form, that Battlefront game is quite fun. Not without its problems (random powerups scattered on the maps are too powerful, hero system is garbage etc.) but really quite decent. Shame that the terrible launch basically killed it.

The Bloody-Nine

They made mistakes when it comes to your rewards in game. Vader's price compared to your rewards in-game was ridiculous, no doubt. But again, they've already reduced the price of the most expensive heroes and I think they will make more improvements. I'm not sure how much I can fault them, if there are people out there, who are willing to drop that money. I won't do it, but if others choose to do so, I don't really care.
Even though people doing so is making the practice more widespread? Seems extremely short sighted on your part. Perhaps you'll care when it gets even worse (and it will) and directly affects you.

AXVnee7

I have a feeling this was a bit of an 'experiment'. They were seeing how far they could push the boundaries. How the micro transactions work now is probably an acceptable level for them anyway, so the "75% reduction fan service" is a bit of a trick. The problem I have is that it's taking advantage of people who can be vulnerable to spending frivolously, but also completionists like myself who would have a tough task to unlock all the characters. The P2W element comes in because if someone is doing bad at the game, the game set up advocates spending money to get better gear rather than encouragement to develop their skillset and become a better player.

Obviously with the changes it's better, but it's still a shady practice. I don't expect much more will come out of it now whoever still wants the game will get it and of course they can still have plenty of fun. Most people who are outraged will surely have cancelled their pre-orders now or will do so shortly. Death threats is definitely taking it too far, I absolutely agree there. Boycotting is the way to go.

Shark

@NotShark
As I predicted, this game is a heap of shit, and I haven't played it yet. I don't need to.

EA are truly as corrupt as it get's in the gaming industry.

bucky

Even though people doing so is making the practice more widespread? Seems extremely short sighted on your part. Perhaps you'll care when it gets even worse (and it will) and directly affects you.
It won't, since I won't bother then.

I have a feeling this was a bit of an 'experiment'. They were seeing how far they could push the boundaries. How the micro transactions work now is probably an acceptable level for them anyway, so the "75% reduction fan service" is a bit of a trick. The problem I have is that it's taking advantage of people who can be vulnerable to spending frivolously, but also completionists like myself who would have a tough task to unlock all the characters. The P2W element comes in because if someone is doing bad at the game, the game set up advocates spending money to get better gear rather than encouragement to develop their skillset and become a better player.

Obviously with the changes it's better, but it's still a shady practice. I don't expect much more will come out of it now whoever still wants the game will get it and of course they can still have plenty of fun. Most people who are outraged will surely have cancelled their pre-orders now or will do so shortly. Death threats is definitely taking it too far, I absolutely agree there. Boycotting is the way to go.
I agree with a lot there, but I still find the whole outrage a bit hypocritical. For example, what people are spending every year on FIFA is absurd to me considering the game hardly improves from year to year. You could say the same about Call of Duty, yet people keep buying that stuff.

Stactix

I like the look of the actual gameplay but quick question.
If player 1 saves up 10k coins and spends it all on lootboxes and player 2 saves up the same & then buys one of the locked characters.
Will player 1 have the advantage?

"Every time you die in Battlefront 2, it lets you know that your killer had more stuff than you—and it seems pretty clear why."
Did not like that quote that's for fecking sure.

The Bloody-Nine

I like the look of the actual gameplay but quick question.
If player 1 saves up 10k coins and spends it all on lootboxes and player 2 saves up the same & then buys one of the locked characters.
Will player 1 have the advantage?

"Every time you die in Battlefront 2, it lets you know that your killer had more stuff than you—and it seems pretty clear why."
Did not like that quote that's for fecking sure.
In CoD WW2 you get rewards for watching other people open loot boxes. :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

Fecking hell, I need a new fps on console but I think I'll avoid both of these. May just wait for PUBG to hit xbox.
It also shipped with only 9 maps (with another free one to come, I believe). Black Ops 3 shipped with 15. Apparently the servers are broken as shit, a lot of people still can't get a game, and the supply drop (loot box) weapons are still to come.

Yeah, do yourself a favour and avoid.

Stactix

It also shipped with only 9 maps (with another free one to come, I believe). Black Ops 3 shipped with 15. Apparently the servers are broken as shit, a lot of people still can't get a game, and the supply drop (loot box) weapons are still to come.

Yeah, do yourself a favour and avoid.
That's terrible, 6 less maps.. fecking hell
I really enjoyed bo3 although the 'locked behind crate' guns were a fecking joke. I managed to get only a fraction of them (all the shyte ones basically) in the few months I played.
Activision & EA truly are the turds of gaming.

Cypriot

I just don't understand why people would spend this amount of money, it's beyond any kind of rational thought.
I think it might be some kind of addiction similar to gambling. Same goes for FIFA Ultimate Team and other RNG based purchases.

As I predicted, this game is a heap of shit, and I haven't played it yet. I don't need to.

EA are truly as corrupt as it get's in the gaming industry.
This is just stupidity. I've played it (not spent a penny) and it's a great time. I also didn't like the first game but this one seems a lot funner. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing through the 10 hour trial and have been winning/coming top of my team against so called pay to win players. If you're good at the game it's fine. You can't just give up without giving it a go, that's just pretty pathetic. P.s. I hate EA too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That's just it though, it's a lot of noise and shaking of fists but EA are still laughing all the way to the bank and back. Every year people get sucked into buying FIFA and EA earn truckloads of cash from it. The thing is, outside making a lot of money, there is really no good reason to release FIFA on a yearly basis since everyone is online and updating squads is easy

At the end of the day EA is a publicly traded company and are in the business to make money. Not going to be a hypocrite here, i have bought EA games and will probably do so in the future
I kinda stopped buying their games a couple of years ago. My girl wonders why I won't touch the new fifa games or any ubisoft games even if they look like fun.
She thinks I'm weird for not wanting to be sucked into their schemes.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I kinda stopped buying their games a couple of years ago. My girl wonders why I won't touch the new fifa games or any ubisoft games even if they look like fun.
She thinks I'm weird for not wanting to be sucked into their schemes.
Ubisoft have been pretty terrible in this regard in the past (Assassin's Creed Unity was a prime example) but I have to say that am really enjoying Assassin's Creed Origins. There is the option to pay for weapons or materials etc, but it is certainly not required at all (plus being SP it is not P2W).

Peanut Butter

No one seems to care that you can do exactly the same in EA's shitty FUT (pay to win) every single year but gamers are losing their marbles over this.

I don't like it but welcome to modern gaming.

Is the actual game any good? I played the beta and liked it a lot.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Ubisoft have been pretty terrible in this regard in the past (Assassin's Creed Unity was a prime example) but I have to say that am really enjoying Assassin's Creed Origins. There is the option to pay for weapons or materials etc, but it is certainly not required at all (plus being SP it is not P2W).
Going by reviews I'm sure I'd enjoy it as well.
Same with upgrades to fifa career mode for the last 2 editions I haven't played.
But I really can't stand the microtransaction incentives that are here and that they'll just turn up once normalized. I'm "getting off" before the train is too full to get away from, if that makes sense.

For now, I look for games that fit the kind of progression systems that I enjoy (reviews, gameplay videos and knowledge of my favorite genres. Bought divinity original sin because the game is reported to be both good and have a publisher that cares about the player experience. Same with the Witcher, dark souls and others like them. The last "big" triple A game I bought was ffxv and I platinumed it, but refused to get the dlcs or any of the "event" stuff. If the game seems enjoyable on release or through a season pass once all dlc are available like with nioh currently, Ill consider it. But any negativity that seems to be exploitative of the user base has me saying "no thanks".
I know I'm in the minority, and my "silent protest" matters for feck all. But at least I'm doing something I feel right about.

Edit:
Also, it's not in any way that I'm one of the guys not willing to do the grind.
I'm a guy who did around 400 rounds of giant frog boss from nioh in a row just for farming levels i didn't need, but wanted.
I get annoyed at the idea that they think the grind in their games aren't interesting enough to do to get the end-game content, so they offer you to buy yourself past that grind.
People who don't have the time to grind materia/limits to beat ruby / emerald weapon on ff7 for example were fine with it. It was end game content not needed for the story.
It's a bit weird as Im sure people view dark souls games as bad because there isn't outlined difficulty settings so people who aren't "gud enuf" can naturally progress without putting effort Into it. But to me it's about expectations, and souls-like games do tend to warn people about difficulty so people know they go into a challenge and not a thing everyone will naturally be able to beat. (not saying it's super hard, just pointing it out as different, and that most people know that when they get it)

Last edited:

AXVnee7

I agree with a lot there, but I still find the whole outrage a bit hypocritical. For example, what people are spending every year on FIFA is absurd to me considering the game hardly improves from year to year. You could say the same about Call of Duty, yet people keep buying that stuff.
Can't argue with that at all. It's strange that FUT doesn't seem to get the same amount of stick. I've spent on Fifa, but I was very naïve about the drop rate for better players. I don't criticise anyone who choose to spend money though. If the option is there and they wish to take it then of course they can spend their money how they like.

Edit:
Also, it's not in any way that I'm one of the guys not willing to do the grind.
I'm a guy who did around 400 rounds of giant frog boss from nioh in a row just for farming levels i didn't need, but wanted.
I get annoyed at the idea that they think the grind in their games aren't interesting enough to do to get the end-game content, so they offer you to buy yourself past that grind.
People who don't have the time to grind materia/limits to beat ruby / emerald weapon on ff7 for example were fine with it. It was end game content not needed for the story.
It's a bit weird as Im sure people view dark souls games as bad because there isn't outlined difficulty settings so people who aren't "gud enuf" can naturally progress without putting effort Into it. But to me it's about expectations, and souls-like games do tend to warn people about difficulty so people know they go into a challenge and not a thing everyone will naturally be able to beat. (not saying it's super hard, just pointing it out as different, and that most people know that when they get it)
Yeah I agree with this. I like a good grind. Most recently I spent a fair bit of time on FFXV grinding MAX Angelus 0 for the V2 suit (x12) despite it not being necessary at all.

The Bloody-Nine

If you like a grind, then this is the game for you. Someone has done the math, and it will take you 4,528 hours to unlock everything in this. :lol:

Siorac

Why does anyone like a grind?

I understand people who enjoy specific challenges to unlock shit, like having to achieve headshots with a drum set that you control with your bollocks while singing one of the songs from Mary Poppins to get a new fancy skin for your spaceship or something. But how is mindless grinding rewarding?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
$2100. You know it makes sense.
Normally don’t really care about micro transactions, a sI find them easy to avoid. Ive never once purchased one in my life.

But this really sounds like its hurting the game. Think I will wait until the price drops

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Someone on reddit posted an article explaining this, and as you i thought this was the case, that these schemes would backfire on them and reduce overall income, but surprisingly it does not in most cases. Even though most people are very negative towards locked content and microtransactions, and they might even lose potential customers over it, they make huge profits it if you look at the bigger picture. Even games that get tonnes of bad publicity over these profits from it.

Hell, EA have been voted "worst company" for many successive years now and pretty much any new release is met with outrage because of their underhanded schemes, so far though it has not stopped them. That being said: Maybe, just maybe this time will be the straw that broke the camels back
That's the thing though, most people are not very negative towards this. Most people couldn't give a shit or are indifferent either way. That's why this model exists in shit tonnes of games, because people are actually very happy to buy loot crates and RNG boxes on the chance of getting good loot, and they do it in droves. It's huge on mobile games right now, and it works. The proof is in the pudding. 20,000 people on Reddit downvoting something EA said looks like everyone hates it, but they're actually the minority they just like to congregate in one place and so it looks a little one-sided but doesn't reflect the majority of views. It sucks, but it's the way of the world these days.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Good article regarding the microtransactions in Origins:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...the-antidote-to-loot-box-poison/#784237e74cb3

Paul Tassi , CONTRIBUTOR
Three major AAA games were released yesterday, but unlike Forza, Battlefront and Shadow of War, you’re not hearing much talk about microtransactions invading Super Mario Odyssey, Assassin’s Creed Origins or Wolfenstein 2. While I assume Mario has none, and I can’t speak to Wolfenstein 2, I have
played about 50 hours of Assassin’s Creed, and that game does have a pretty significant cash shop attached to it. For a brief moment players were worried that there were loot boxes in the game, but the solitary loot box is mostly a currency sink for extra in-game cash. However, I have seen a few people slowly discover the breadth of Assassin’s Creed Origins’ cash shop and start to get upset about it.

For me, I think Assassin’s Creed Origins is a game that strikes the right balance between offering crap you can pay for and not shoving it in your face. Even if it’s very clearly “pay-to-win.” Here’s what I mean.

On the surface, ACO’s microtransactions are hilariously broad. They range from in-game gold to revealing the location of map icons to outfits to mounts to actual legendary weapons. So while you can technically buy gold to gamble with the game’s singular loot box, you can also just flat-out buy legendary weapons outright, which makes that pointless.

ACO actually puts things like map icons, crafting materials and skill points in a category called “time savers,” implying you can pay to skip grinding out XP or hunting wild crocodiles for their skins. It’s here you realize that ACO is selling the clear equivalent of cheat codes. If this was 15-20 years ago, it’s easy to see how instantly getting skill points or revealing secrets or immediately getting the best gear in the game could have been some sort of up, down, left, right, start cheat code, but here, in present day, these items are being sold instead.

Ubisoft
Assassin's Creed Origins

If you’re still of the opinion that $60 games should never sell any microtransactions for any reason, I guess the conversation ends here. But the point I want to make about how ACO is doing this “right” has to do with what these items are and how they’re presented in the game.

The common thread running through games like Battlefront 2 and Shadow of War is not just that loot boxes exist there, but that these loot box systems were directly linked to core gameplay. At least in the beta, you could not get upgrades in Battlefront 2 without using loot boxes, which even if you’re using in-game currency to get them, are the core of the progression mechanic. You cannot spend your in-game currency on much of anything in Shadow of War, which leads you directly into the loot box store to gamble for lower level boxes while trying to upsell you to higher level ones for IRL cash.

Assassin’s Creed Origins doesn’t do this. The store is entirely separate from the main game. It’s not a tab in the main menu, it doesn’t pop up when you talk to any vendors in the game. You have to go to an entirely separate menu in the game in order to browse, and the game never forces you there, nor really even nudges you by saying you have “unspent AC bucks” or whatever the IRL currency is called.

Similarly, though clearly when a game is selling skill points and legendary weapons outright ($2.50 for a legendary sword, $1 per ability point), that’s selling power, this is an entirely single-player game. Nothing you buy has any effect on any other player besides yourself. And the way the store is set-up, you’re free from addictive gambling mechanics. You want something, you buy it. You’re not getting a loot box that might give you an ability point or legendary horse but instead you get a crappy blue shield. You want X thing, you can buy X thing. And if you want to earn X thing, I believe everything in the store can be earned in the game somewhere, some how.

Ubisoft
Assassin's Creed Origins

This is also the first game where selling “time savers” actually makes some amount of sense. Assassin’s Creed Origins is massive. I’ve put almost 50 hours into it and there’s probably another 50 I could squeeze out of it if I wanted to. But I don’t blame others who don’t have that much time, so if they don’t want to spend the next 20 minutes farming hippos for leather to upgrade their bracers, I don’t begrudge them throwing a couple bucks at the store for some supplies if they want to.

Obviously in a perfect world all of this literally would be cheat codes, but we can’t pretend like we live in that era anymore, and when a AAA game is going to have microtransactions, the best we can hope for is that they’re not obnoxious and obtrusive. ACOkeeps its microtransactions out of the way and does not lock them in randomized, addictive loot boxes. The prices are pretty low, you can buy exactly what you want, and when you do so, you’re only affecting your own playthrough and not unbalancing the game for anyone else.

I have bought exactly zero things in ACO so far, and never felt like I’ve needed to. I’m the kind of person who likes to explore every inch of an open world map to 100% it and rack up all the cool items and max my character out that way. Why pay $2.50 for a legendary axe when I can pull one of the corpse of a beastly bounty hunter I just killed in an epic fight? To me, buying things would just feel like I was cheating myself. Like I was paying to skip playing the game I actually wanted to play. But if other people do want to do that? I really don’t see a problem with letting them throw money at the game, particularly if the item shop doesn’t feel like its gouging players or preying on their addictive tendencies the way we see with so many loot box systems.

So yeah, while it’s goofy you can flat-out buy skill points or powerful weapons in Assassin’s Creed, it’s not actually harmfulbecause of the way the game is set up, and the return to a normal, in-game store in this age of endless loot boxes is actually somewhat refreshing. Microtransactions are here to stay so now the only real goal is for them not to be terrible. Against all odds, I think Assassin’s Creed Origins has actually managed to accomplish this, and I would love if more games followed its lead instead of constantly drowning us in loot boxes until they invent something even worse.

AXVnee7

Why does anyone like a grind?

I understand people who enjoy specific challenges to unlock shit, like having to achieve headshots with a drum set that you control with your bollocks while singing one of the songs from Mary Poppins to get a new fancy skin for your spaceship or something. But how is mindless grinding rewarding?
I only like it on RPGs, probably because it's an integral part of the game. I don't usually bother/have the will with other genres, unless there's a reward actually worth something.

That's the thing though, most people are not very negative towards this. Most people couldn't give a shit or are indifferent either way. That's why this model exists in shit tonnes of games, because people are actually very happy to buy loot crates and RNG boxes on the chance of getting good loot, and they do it in droves. It's huge on mobile games right now, and it works. The proof is in the pudding. 20,000 people on Reddit downvoting something EA said looks like everyone hates it, but they're actually the minority they just like to congregate in one place and so it looks a little one-sided but doesn't reflect the majority of views. It sucks, but it's the way of the world these days.
It actually got ~680,000 downvotes which is significantly more, but I agree with the point you're making. For every person giving EA stick, there's someone else willing to pay which sustains the model.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
600,000 people more like. And I'm not sure it's impacted a game before as much as this one. That's literally half the reason people buy the game, isn't it? They advertise it with Vader/Luke, so they're pulling you in with images that you're going to need to spend money on to realise. And yeah you can spend 5000 hours unlocking one hero, but when faced with that task, £6 on a crate suddenly looks appealing.