Gaming Star Wars Battlefront II

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Sad really. Miss the days where you could just buy the game at whatever price and then that was it. No bullshit. The only thing you should be allowed to buy and cosmetic changes or new maps down the line.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Ah it has it's own thread, sorry for spamming the shadow of war thread.

This game looks amazing but I'm not getting it. They've reduced the system but to be able to pay to max yourself out on a multiplayer game is just wrong, doesn't matter how much they reduce it. The rich cnuts will max themselves out and from day one they'll have a massive advantage.
I don't mind paying for extra maps, not this.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
This is the problem when you go against stuff like this over the years, there's always plenty of myopic people who shrug their shoulders without realising where it's all heading.

I don't get the attitude of "why is everyone so angry, it's not big deal, it's not like you can do anything about it" when it clearly is to people. Good for them for standing up to this shite, of people didn't it'd be a whole lot worse.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Did a pre-order yesterday but they can go feck themselves. Cancelled.

backofthenet

He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I've asked for this for Xmas from my family, but I'm already dreading the fact that by the time I get this, all the pay to win players will have every accessory / upgrade going, and I'll hate the experience cos I'll be dying within seconds.

I really enjoyed the multiplayer beta, especially the attack on the Star Destroyer, but I know by the time I take it on again, I'll be getting my arse handed to me on a consistent basis by buggers flying around in Slave 1 with every accuracy and power aid going. The one good thing is that I won't have paid for it... but it won't help the longevity of the game in my household.

Siorac

I've asked for this for Xmas from my family, but I'm already dreading the fact that by the time I get this, all the pay to win players will have every accessory / upgrade going, and I'll hate the experience cos I'll be dying within seconds.

I really enjoyed the multiplayer beta, especially the attack on the Star Destroyer, but I know by the time I take it on again, I'll be getting my arse handed to me on a consistent basis by buggers flying around in Slave 1 with every accuracy and power aid going. The one good thing is that I won't have paid for it... but it won't help the longevity of the game in my household.
I don't think this is something you have to worry about. It's the principle that is egregious and disgusting here - in practice, people who actually pay significant amounts to get a head start in games like this are a very small minority (I heard figures like 1% being quoted as being more than enough to prop up a game with microtransactions). Sure, it will be annoying to meet them but I don't think there will be enough of them to really have a negative impact on your experience.

Coxy

The fact that they reduced the price of the heroes for reviewers really takes the pee too - unbelievably shitty. I hate EA so much

backofthenet

He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I don't think this is something you have to worry about. It's the principle that is egregious and disgusting here - in practice, people who actually pay significant amounts to get a head start in games like this are a very small minority (I heard figures like 1% being quoted as being more than enough to prop up a game with microtransactions). Sure, it will be annoying to meet them but I don't think there will be enough of them to really have a negative impact on your experience.
Couldn't agree more. Adding significant microtransactions, and pay to unlock on a game already priced at a massive £70 for the basic edition is wrong. Flat out wrong. Again, I'm fortunate that I won't be paying that £70, but I feel for my family as they will have paid a hefty sum expecting me to get the full game... and I'll be whinging that I'll have to pay X for Darth Vader, or Luke, or whoever. It sucks.

Lastwolf

Sad really. Miss the days where you could just buy the game at whatever price and then that was it. No bullshit. The only thing you should be allowed to buy and cosmetic changes or new maps down the line.
Those games still exist.

This model of game didn't exist 10 years ago really, you have subscription based games and standalone (both of those type still exist). But with games like this were you have an online component, games as a service, without a subscription fee, they need micro-transactions. The problem then becomes, when they remove "critical" features to encourage people to use micro transactions as it's an easy cash grab (like in this case).

It's the same as "early release" and paid Beta access, they are a rip off, but idiots pay for it so they continue to soft release half finished games, just to create an early revenue stream.

Siorac

Those games still exist.

This model of game didn't exist 10 years ago really, you have subscription based games and standalone (both of those type still exist). But with games like this were you have an online component, games as a service, without a subscription fee, they need micro-transactions. The problem then becomes, when they remove "critical" features to encourage people to use micro transactions as it's an easy cash grab (like in this case).

It's the same as "early release" and paid Beta access, they are a rip off, but idiots pay for it so they continue to soft release half finished games, just to create an early revenue stream.
Thing is, this "games as a service" mentality starts to filter into offline single player games as well. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided also had microtransactions, and that was a full price, AAA offline single player title. By all accounts, the publisher insisted on them but only very late in the development cycle.

Of course, there are games like the Witcher 3 where they release a huge, fantastic game full of content then pump out two fully fleshed out expansions that are richer and longer than many standalone games. I have no problem with paying for that.

Kaos

Boycott, boycott, boycott.

EA's business practices are disgraceful, and this latest shitshow with BF2's pay2win system is a perfect showcase of that.

Hopefully, with more negative press I'm hoping Disney choose not to continue their contract with EA regarding the Star Wars license when it comes up for renewal in 2023.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
EA are a corporation that want to make money, it's just that gamers are a very passionate bunch and use the internet a lot.

I do find it funny that EA were voted the most evil company in the world 2 years in a row though :lol:

Siorac

Boycott, boycott, boycott.

EA's business practices are disgraceful, and this latest shitshow with BF2's pay2win system is a perfect showcase of that.

Hopefully, with more negative press I'm hoping Disney choose not to continue their contract with EA regarding the Star Wars license when it comes up for renewal in 2023.
I bet you that Disney are loving this shit. Why wouldn't they? It's unlikely to hurt the bottom line significantly.

2023 is very far away in any case :(

Stactix

Thing is, this "games as a service" mentality starts to filter into offline single player games as well. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided also had microtransactions, and that was a full price, AAA offline single player title. By all accounts, the publisher insisted on them but only very late in the development cycle.

Of course, there are games like the Witcher 3 where they release a huge, fantastic game full of content then pump out two fully fleshed out expansions that are richer and longer than many standalone games. I have no problem with paying for that.
AC Origins also had micro transactions. The stage it's at now is bad (AC Origins was intentionally made grindy to motivate people to spend) but I think it can only get worse.

Kaos

EA are a corporation that want to make money, it's just that gamers are a very passionate bunch and use the internet a lot.

I do find it funny that EA were voted the most evil company in the world 2 years in a row though :lol:
You can make bucket loads of money without resorting to shithouse business practices. CD Projekt Red have sold 25 million copies of the Witcher series, simply because - shock horror, they're fantastic games, without the need to rip us off with microtransactions, Day 1 DLCs and extorionate season passes which actually unlock the core experience. With the Star Wars license EA are guaranteed to print shed loads of money, yet that alone isn't enough for them and instead they insist on compounding their greed by fecking the gamers over with their Pay2Win nonsense.

And as a corportation they should know that bad PR can be disastrous, yet they their greed seems to fuel their complacency.

Kaos

I bet you that Disney are loving this shit. Why wouldn't they? It's unlikely to hurt the bottom line significantly.

2023 is very far away in any case :(
Bad PR? Don't think so. While they may initially enjoy the additional $$ EA are scooping up for them with their p2w practices the bubble will eventually burst.

Massive Spanner

You can make bucket loads of money without resorting to shithouse business practices. CD Projekt Red have sold 25 million copies of the Witcher series, simply because - shock horror, they're fantastic games, without the need to rip us off with microtransactions, Day 1 DLCs and extorionate season passes which actually unlock the core experience. With the Star Wars license EA are guaranteed to print shed loads of money, yet that alone isn't enough for them and instead they insist on compounding their greed by fecking the gamers over with their Pay2Win nonsense.

And as a corportation they should know that bad PR can be disastrous, yet they their greed seems to fuel their complacency.
I'm not saying EA aren't total dicks, of course they are, but most big corporations are, they'll do whatever they can to make money.

CDPR are a small company of gamers who know how to make gamers happy and also have ideals and ideologies. EA are a massive corporation who only care about profit and shares and whatnot, there's a big difference.

Anyway really my main point is just that it's funny to see a company that makes video games voted the most evil on the planet.

SteveTheRed

It's incredible really that EA are voted this evil company, everyone hated these micro-transactions and the fact you have to pay for things already developed in the game etc. and there is a really simple solution. Don't buy the game. Or even if you don't want to go as far as that, don't buy the add-ons. They are a company at the end of the day and designed to make profit.

If I ran a shop and started selling shit sandwiches, and sales went through the roof, would I really sit back and think "But I'm actually serving these people shit in a sandwich, shouldn't I stop?" ...no, I'd create the double shit sandwich. It may not be the best analogy but it's the best I got :lol:

Very happy to see gamers boycott this game, it's the only way.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not saying EA aren't total dicks, of course they are, but most big corporations are, they'll do whatever they can to make money.

CDPR are a small company of gamers who know how to make gamers happy and also have ideals and ideologies. EA are a massive corporation who only care about profit and shares and whatnot, there's a big difference.

Anyway really my main point is just that it's funny to see a company that makes video games voted the most evil on the planet.
Not to mention the fact that CDPR took 4 years worth of development to create The Witcher 3. Imagine a company like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft actually taking time out and not chucking projects in our faces every single year? All that lost profit.

Massive Spanner

Not to mention the fact that CDPR took 4 years worth of development to create The Witcher 3. Imagine a company like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft actually taking time out and not chucking projects in our faces every single year? All that lost profit.
And CDPR basically pumped all the money they made from their previous games into the next one's to make them better. They almost went bankrupt loads of times. They're an incredible company and unfortunately not one that it's feasible to judge other gaming companies on.

I do think Sony and Nintendo are good too though when it comes to games for their own platforms. They make those games to be as good as possible to sell their consoles and therefore don't have shitty policies in them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's incredible really that EA are voted this evil company, everyone hated these micro-transactions and the fact you have to pay for things already developed in the game etc. and there is a really simple solution. Don't buy the game. Or even if you don't want to go as far as that, don't buy the add-ons. They are a company at the end of the day and designed to make profit.

If I ran a shop and started selling shit sandwiches, and sales went through the roof, would I really sit back and think "But I'm actually serving these people shit in a sandwich, shouldn't I stop?" ...no, I'd create the double shit sandwich. It may not be the best analogy but it's the best I got :lol:

Thats the thing though, the game or the "sandwiches" are actually very good, but it's like you selling a BLT and giving them it without the Bacon, and saying oh I will give it to you at the last bite, unless you want to pay 50p more you can have it now. It's not right.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

"What's that sir, you'd like a cheese sandwich? Excellent choice. Now would you like bread? That's extra."

AXVnee7

"What's that sir, you'd like a cheese sandwich? Excellent choice. Now would you like bread? That's extra."
What EA does is even worse than that. In that scenario if the bread costs extra, you still know what you're paying for. With these "loot crates", what you get is completely random or set by an algorithm. You could get no more than the crust of the bread.

I've made the mistake of doing this on FUT in the past, but I've learned since and won't give EA another penny.

Runner

They are competing with Activision for scumbag company of the year. Activision might be slightly in the lead due to their in game algorithms which are designed to 'drive microtransactions'. Putting you in a lobby against players who have pay to win, supply drop weapons is delightfully devious. C*nts.

I am just not going to buy their games.
the patent they were just awarded for that hasnt been implemented in any game yet. still.. very concerning behaviour.

i will say the overwatch loot crate system is actually great. i never had to spend money for cool shit. dont play the game anymore tho.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Those games still exist.

It’s super frustrating though. I don’t get a lot of time to play games and due to my competitive nature I love online FPS games for their quick access and you can invest as little or as much time as you like. The whole pay to win element didn’t exist in these games until recently which is threatening to ruin the whole appeal for me at least.

The Bloody-Nine

the patent they were just awarded for that hasnt been implemented in any game yet. still.. very concerning behaviour.
Yeah, according to Activision. I've watched a few videos of youtubers who swear that it is already in WW2. I am of the opinion that they had similar shit in BO3. The matchmaking in that game was very suspect.

Runner

Yeah, according to Activision. I've watched a few videos of youtubers who swear that it is already in WW2. I am of the opinion that they had similar shit in BO3. The matchmaking in that game was very suspect.
true, they are dodgy company.i dont follow those games so I'll take your word for it which is disappointing to hear

Runner

:eek: Why that one in particular?
in short the thread was about it taking over 40 hours of gameplay to unlock Vader and the EA community manager said they wanted it to feel like a sense of accomplishment

Lastwolf

Totally, there is a creep into normal games to give them a long tail of sales, I'm not a super big fan of episodic games either for similar reasons (I tend to buy them when they are fully released).

If you translated it into another field, like cinema, it'd be like they give you the first and last acts then charged extra you for the middle part of the movie 3 months later, it's functional but gutted (actually the MCU Director's Edition of several of their movies would be a pretty good comparison).

As long as people pay the money, there will be a market that supports it.

EA's entire business model is brand name recognition then innovate every 3rd or 4th edition to trick people into buying the next few years releases or dick punch it into the dirt and shelf it after robbing it blind for parts. I haven't bought a game off them since the Command and Conqueror: Generals.

Lastwolf

It’s super frustrating though. I don’t get a lot of time to play games and due to my competitive nature I love online FPS games for their quick access and you can invest as little or as much time as you like. The whole pay to win element didn’t exist in these games until recently which is threatening to ruin the whole appeal for me at least.
Do any of them actually have pay to win? I'm not big on these types of games anymore (I tapped out to old age long before micro transactions), mostly seems like cosmetics to me.

The Bloody-Nine

Do any of them actually have pay to win? I'm not big on these types of games anymore (I tapped out to old age long before micro transactions), mostly seems like cosmetics to me.
With CoD, they release weapons which you can get in supply drops (loot boxes with random contents, basically). Often these are the best weapons in the game. To get supply drops you can eventually earn enough in game currency to open one, or you can use real money to buy CoD points, therefore circumventing the grind.

One asshole spent 10 grand on CoD points.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
in short the thread was about it taking over 40 hours of gameplay to unlock Vader and the EA community manager said they wanted it to feel like a sense of accomplishment
Ye ye, I saw the thread, but was wondering why one dev in particular got the brunt

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's just it though, it's a lot of noise and shaking of fists but EA are still laughing all the way to the bank and back. Every year people get sucked into buying FIFA and EA earn truckloads of cash from it. The thing is, outside making a lot of money, there is really no good reason to release FIFA on a yearly basis since everyone is online and updating squads is easy

At the end of the day EA is a publicly traded company and are in the business to make money. Not going to be a hypocrite here, i have bought EA games and will probably do so in the future
The first Battlefront though didn't seem all that popular, and nowhere near as popular as it should have been, due to them basically making it half a game, and then promising to add bits (which you had to pay again for).

This one again. I've heard virtually nothing about it. A lot of people just don't seem interested in it at all. It's a fecking Star Wars game...ordinarily it would be all over my FB timeline and there'd be a massive thread on every forum going...if they had put effort into the game instead of thinking up ever more ridiculous ways to make people pay more to play it, it would be massively more popular than it is.

So I'm not sure they really gain that much from it. They've basically ruined what could have been an amazing game series, and possibly one of the most popular ever, in pursuit of squeezing a bit of extra money out of what can only be a percentage of the people who actually buy it, which is in itself only a percentage of people of who potentially would have bought it. In doing so have brought about a negative backlash which seems to have provoked more attention than the game itself.

AXVnee7

Apparently EA have removed the refund option on Origin, meaning people are having to deal with customer service to process a refund :lol:

SteveTheRed

Thats the thing though, the game or the "sandwiches" are actually very good, but it's like you selling a BLT and giving them it without the Bacon, and saying oh I will give it to you at the last bite, unless you want to pay 50p more you can have it now. It's not right.
Pizza! that's a better analogy than my one. They went from selling full sized pizzas and making good dough :smirk: and then some evil genius came up with the idea of selling half a pizza for the same price as a full one...and then once they are enjoying the Pizza, selling them the extra slices. And somehow it fecking works.

You almost feel like saying "we deserve it" because it clearly works and we the customers, to a large extent, are morons. Lets hope this gains enough momentum to change the industry.

bucky

Bit of an overreaction going on IMO. The game looks good and I'm still looking forward to playing it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bit of an overreaction going on IMO. The game looks good and I'm still looking forward to playing it.
I think a lot of it comes from first game being the same. Many seemed to think it ruined an otherwise great game, and this was the first clue that they've done the exact same thing with the sequel. I haven't played either, but I get the frustration.