Film Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker [Theories]

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Ok. This teaser and the "possible plot" leak have got me worried for sure. So worried that I've decided to read a complete plot summary (wikipedia) before going to the cinema. I won't make the same mistake that I did with TLJ, when illusion-expectations were high (after TFA's very ending and R1), just to leave the theater completely baffled, until sober anger kicked in the following morning. At this point, entering the cinema knowing what I'm going to see and how the story is going to end is a lot more important to me than another glass of bitter-unexpected disappoinment (TLJ). Thanks, Ruin the Freak Johnson: I'll be forced to read a plot summary of ROS before seeing the actual movie: illusion and hype have turned into concern, fear and doubts; that's my current SW trauma, and it's your fault. Go feck yourself.

The leak reads as something JJ would def create based on old-unused Lucas ideas for the ST. Other than Han appearing as Force Ghost (the feck? only force masters, dark or light, can achieve that), this leak is still better than the entirety of TLJ.

vidic blood & sand

I think Ryan Johnson fecked this thing up so much, there's just no way to redeem it as a trilogy, but maybe the final instalment might turn out ok as a stand alone star wars movie.
The new trilogy should never be referred to as episodes VII VIII & IX. Episodes I - VI were all about the rise of the empire and Luke's destiny. That's all completed.
All this latest shit about Rey should be regarded as a new dumb trilogy.

Reiver

Ok. This teaser and the "possible plot" leak have got me worried for sure. So worried that I've decided to read a complete plot summary (wikipedia) before going to the cinema. I won't make the same mistake that I did with TLJ, when illusion-expectations were high (after TFA's very ending and R1), just to leave the theater completely baffled, until sober anger kicked in the following morning. At this point, entering the cinema knowing what I'm going to see and how the story is going to end is a lot more important to me than another glass of bitter-unexpected disappoinment (TLJ). Thanks, Ruin the Freak Johnson: I'll be forced to read a plot summary of ROS before seeing the actual movie: illusion and hype have turned into concern, fear and doubts; that's my current SW trauma, and it's your fault. Go feck yourself.

The leak reads as something JJ would def create based on old-unused Lucas ideas for the ST. Other than Han appearing as Force Ghost (the feck? only force masters, dark or light, can achieve that), this leak is still better than the entirety of TLJ.
Your thoughts about TLJ are exactly how I feel about it. A good friend who had seen the film before I did warned me about the story. I thought there was no way it could be true.
I'm not a big JJ Abrams fan, but it would be nearly impossible to feck things up more than TLJ. That's what I tell myself anyway. We'll see.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
:lol: this is gonna be true isn't it? JJ, half the writing team of BvS?

Yep, what could go wrong. You're a Wizard Palpy...
This is what worries me a little - Terrio. He wrote the script for Argo, which was pretty good, but since then he's done Batman vs. Superman and Justice League which, yikes.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Your thoughts about TLJ are exactly how I feel about it. A good friend who had seen the film before I did warned me about the story. I thought there was no way it could be true.
I'm not a big JJ Abrams fan, but it would be nearly impossible to feck things up more than TLJ. That's what I tell myself anyway. We'll see.
Thanks. With the prequels I felt that they were bad movies telling great SW stories set before SW'77, but TLJ was like witnessing a 2 hours of ridiculously bad-random fan fiction. A bad movie but a good SW story? I can live with that. A so-so movie + awful fan fiction butchering SW? End of the line for me.

I'll read the plot summary of ROS, and then I'll watch it, in that order. At this point, the story of ROS is a lot more important to me than the cinematic quality of it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
This is what worries me a little - Terrio. He wrote the script for Argo, which was pretty good, but since then he's done Batman vs. Superman and Justice League which, yikes.
Then again, Michael Green was one of the writers of Green Lantern, but then co-wrote Blade Runner 2049 and Logan. Never quite as simple as - he wrote x, and therefore is a bad/good writer.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Tbf we'll never really know what he wrote for Justice League since DC brought in Joss Whedon to "fix" the writing making it more light hearted, removing evil Superman and adding lols.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Then again, Michael Green was one of the writers of Green Lantern, but then co-wrote Blade Runner 2049 and Logan. Never quite as simple as - he wrote x, and therefore is a bad/good writer.
The guy who wrote The Hangover also wrote and was the showrunner for Chernobyl. Sometimes the writer can only be as good as the source material and demands of the production company.

Art Vandelay

I found him recently when looking up stuff on game of Thrones, his rants are always spot on
Yeah and even though I don't always agree with him, his style is highly entertaining. I like his gaming stuff too even though it's a lot less popular than his angry rants.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
The guy who wrote The Hangover also wrote and was the showrunner for Chernobyl. Sometimes the writer can only be as good as the source material and demands of the production company.
A 5 hour adaptation of Svetlana Alexiévich. Sometimes the writer can only be as good as the source material indeed, including an original literary work.

IX is random fan fiction (JJ) and that's what worries me.

Last edited:

settembrini

It's funny how low expectations seem to be for this film.

I remember when ROTS came out people still seemed pretty excited about it even though the first two prequels were bad but all I see towards Episode 9 is negativity.

Perhaps that will end up helping it though. If everyone is expecting another disaster like Last Jedi then all they have to do is serve up something competent and people will be happy.

Art Vandelay

That double bladed lightsaber though. How stupid is it? It's laughable. Two lightsabres is fine. Darth Maul style lightsabre is great. That thing though, what purpose does that serve? None. It's a lame attempt to sell toys.

Disney accidentally leaked a plot point:

Dark Rey is a vision. Which seemed obvious to me, they aren't going to have their strong female do anything evil or fail in any way.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That double bladed lightsaber though. How stupid is it? It's laughable. Two lightsabres is fine. Darth Maul style lightsabre is great. That thing though, what purpose does that serve? None. It's a lame attempt to sell toys.

Dark Rey is a vision. Which seemed obvious to me, they aren't going to have their strong female do anything evil or fail in any way.
Looks awesome though.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

'Lame attempt to sell toys' could sum up Star Wars at any time in the last 42 years. Why is it an issue now?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It's a stupid looking design. At least the curved handles and Darth Maul's double blades made some sort of sense.
It's a design that has been used in canon (clone wars,rebels). I have not seen them so I don't know the reseaning behind the design, but it does have a history in SW.

Art Vandelay

It's a design that has been used in canon (clone wars,rebels). I have not seen them so I don't know the reseaning behind the design, but it does have a history in SW.
Which doesn't stop it from being stupid looking. I've seen it in some animated show before and it was stupid then. Possibly Rebels.

I think it was Rebels that managed to make lightsabres look awful. They looked like just thin bits of plastic, then there was a guy with some sort of helicopter rotating version. It's all gotten a bit out of hand really. Even the blades now aren't just straight energy blades, they have to crackle and spit plasma.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I don't know, maybe it will look better when you see in action? You never know. I'm not sold on it myself yet, but I'll wait and see.

settembrini

Someone post that Star Wars EU character whose got half a dozen lightsabers sticking out his legs and arms.

United58

Where was it leaked?

I imagine it was an intentional leak if they did - they probably didn't want months of speculation on a dark side for their Mary Sue

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Maul's version looked a nightmare to lug around. This one will fit handily on a belt. For the sith that's alway on the go.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Which doesn't stop it from being stupid looking. I've seen it in some animated show before and it was stupid then. Possibly Rebels.

I think it was Rebels that managed to make lightsabres look awful. They looked like just thin bits of plastic, then there was a guy with some sort of helicopter rotating version. It's all gotten a bit out of hand really. Even the blades now aren't just straight energy blades, they have to crackle and spit plasma.
Just seen this. Get that in this flick, go full ret...Stiller in that Oscar bait!

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I don't know spoliers, and don't want to know, but if I had to guess I think that it's a clone of Rey with that saber. Look at a still image of it, it looks like a CGI Daisy Ridley.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think Ryan Johnson fecked this thing up so much, there's just no way to redeem it as a trilogy, but maybe the final instalment might turn out ok as a stand alone star wars movie.
The new trilogy should never be referred to as episodes VII VIII & IX. Episodes I - VI were all about the rise of the empire and Luke's destiny. That's all completed.
All this latest shit about Rey should be regarded as a new dumb trilogy.
I kind of agree - I think JJ is probably the right guy to salvage it - Johnson almost single handedly destroyed the entire franchise so I sincerely hope Disney have learnt their lesson - just give the fans what they want.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, no worries, got you the first time. Talked about it as well.
Ok no problem - well all I can say is that it stoked my little star wars fires and I wanted one just like it. The cool sound it made when it wooshed over and connected as a whole piece was great - I'm a big child.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
:lol: I didn't realise they actually used them to fly. Fecking hell.

Darth Maul being alive remains the stupidest part of that scene or any scene.
Hey being cut in half and falling down a massive shaft doesn't have to mean you are dead. It's the force and all that. Palps is back after all!

Art Vandelay

Hey being cut in half and falling down a massive shaft doesn't have to mean you are dead. It's the force and all that. Palps is back after all!
The galaxy far, far away. Where falling down big shafts is just a minor inconvenience. Getting cut in half can be walked off.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Maul surviving was silly but it's the Star Wars Universe .. he's a character who has control over a mystical force.

The explanation for his survival was the same as the reason Vader survived being chopped in half then melting for a large period of time in lava. He channelled the dark side of the force and that hatred kept him alive.

Obviously it's dumb. It's star wars.