Film Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker [Theories]

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Last Jedi was pretty good, all told. Looking forward to this one.

Trying to have a discussion on Star Wars online is like wading through shit though. Hyperbole at every turn.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Last Jedi was pretty good, all told. Looking forward to this one.

Trying to have a discussion on Star Wars online is like wading through shit though. Hyperbole at every turn.
It's the pop cultural equivalent of a match day thread.

Music in the trailer was :drool:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It's the pop cultural equivalent of a match day thread.

Music in the trailer was :drool:
I've given up on it.

It got to be so tiresome. I don't mind debate and criticism. That's healthy. But you can't have a rational disscusion on it.

And, yes Star Wars music is always epic. It ends on Rey's theme, for whatever that is worth.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Why would you want a serious discussion on SW anyway?

The last couple of films are just rehashes, and not particularily interesting ones. The fanboys hate fhe way they rendered the old ones pointless, the filmies want to say it's a brave new direction (despite not actually being any different), whilst the rest of us fall into either meh it was ok or meh it was underwhelming but ok I guess.

They are cash cows being milked, with very little substance. That's the only part about them that makes any actual sense.

Andersons Dietician

Have you all seen the latest trailer?

Ray appears full on Sith with a black robe and double sided red lightsaber.

Looks mad, but I have a feeling it's going to be a dream sequence or something.
Think something similar. If she’s the one to unite the force or whatever it is I personally think it’s going to be like her internal battle against the darkness in her much like we saw in the last Star Wars where she couldn’t resist the darkness. This will just be that internal fight within her or something.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Why would you want a serious discussion on SW anyway?

The last couple of films are just rehashes, and not particularily interesting ones. The fanboys hate fhe way they rendered the old ones pointless, the filmies want to say it's a brave new direction (despite not actually being any different), whilst the rest of us fall into either meh it was ok or meh it was underwhelming but ok I guess.

They are cash cows being milked, with very little substance. That's the only part about them that makes any actual sense.
That is not the reaction I see to the movies at all. I wish it was like that. It tends to be a black and white reaction and little else. They're either shit or great, and boy, do the people who think that they're shit really want you to know about it. And, of course it's usually followed up by, 'I've no interest in it, it's dead to me'. Despite this, they will continue to shout at you about how shit it is.

Redlambs

That is not the reaction I see to the movies at all. I wish it was like that. It tends to be a black and white reaction and little else. They're either shit or great, and boy, do the people who think that they're shit really want you to know about it. And, of course it's usually followed up by, 'I've no interest in it, it's dead to me'. Despite this, they will continue to shout at you about how shit it is.
Tbf it is kinda going nowhere and they did kill off their boyhood crush in a bit of a lame way.

But all in all, there's not a lot to discuss. I guess they could have gone with some clever storyline but that's not good for the kids (or toy sales), or gone fresh and new, but that's not good for the manchild fans (or toy sales).

Personally, I don't see how they could do a major SW film without a lightsaber fight. That's the extent of my real gripes really. But I will say me and the GF watch all these at the cinema, but we didn't bother with Solo and have very little interest in the new one now, and that's a bit sad I guess. Hopefully this last one does actually tie everything up and makes sense, but I highly doubt it.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
but we didn't bother with Solo and have very little interest in the new one now, and that's a bit sad I guess. Hopefully this last one does actually tie everything up and makes sense, but I highly doubt it.
Solo was a mistake. Nobody really wanted it that much, nobody wanted it that soon after The Last Jedi, it was a nightmare behind the scenes from start to end and in a way that everybody was aware of. I mean, I enjoyed it, it was fine and completely inessential, it was forced nostalgia fuzzies pretending to be a film and that's just the way it is. I'm still excited for The Rise of Skywalker but you won't find me rushing out to watch any of Disney's other ideas for Star Wars. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I guess...

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

Palpatine looks very cartoonish there. Not that he didn't look cartoonish as a computer game character fighting computer game Yoda.

Apparently:

The new footage coming shows Rey in black with double bladed red sabre :lol:
The Palpatine they show in poster is a hot toys version, it's reported Disney don't want to reveal his appearance.

Ubik

The Palpatine they show in poster is a hot toys version, it's reported Disney don't want to reveal his appearance.
Well that's lazy.

Looks pretty good when made 80s style!

Art Vandelay

There's been a leak out for a while that had basically the entire main plot, which sounded so JJ Abrams and so sequel trilogy that it was far too plausible to actually be true and far too bad to not be true. That trailer seems to confirm several plot points from it.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Well that's lazy.

Looks pretty good when made 80s style!

Yeah it is a bit lazy, from what I've read with how the emperor returns I can see why they are trying to keep it a secret as best as possible.

Bwuk

There's been a leak out for a while that had basically the entire main plot, which sounded so JJ Abrams and so sequel trilogy that it was far too plausible to actually be true and far too bad to not be true. That trailer seems to confirm several plot points from it.
I've just found and read that leak. Awful.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
What's the leak?

pacifictheme

Can you link to it?

Member 39557

What's the leak?
Can you link to it?
If it's the one I saw.

Snoke's ring is actually a horcrux and the Emperor's spirit is inside it and he used it to possess Snoke.
The knights who say nee of ren discover the secret and Kylo Ren and Rey team up to destroy the ring. One of the Knights is actually possessed by the Emperor.

As an aside, "dark Rey" looks like she's wearing a ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

stepic

the emperor apparently returning is another example of flawed writing/planning for this trilogy. the story has been all over the place, there's going to be not enough build up or development of him at all. it's shite.

Redlambs

Solo was a mistake. Nobody really wanted it that much, nobody wanted it that soon after The Last Jedi, it was a nightmare behind the scenes from start to end and in a way that everybody was aware of. I mean, I enjoyed it, it was fine and completely inessential, it was forced nostalgia fuzzies pretending to be a film and that's just the way it is. I'm still excited for The Rise of Skywalker but you won't find me rushing out to watch any of Disney's other ideas for Star Wars. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I guess...

You've read the leaks, you can't believe that would actually make a good movie? (obviously no talking about the leaks or timelines in here please...)

So bad (and butchered from various old cannon sources) it's true, must be :lol:

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
You've read the leaks, you can't believe that would actually make a good movie? (obviously no talking about the leaks or timelines in here please...)

So bad (and butchered from various old cannon sources) it's true, must be :lol:
Don't even know where to find Star Wars leaks, let alone read them and make sense of them. I should add that with the season 7 Game of Thrones leaks, once I found out where I could read them I got the itch and couldn't bring myself to look away. My feelings for that show were really unhealthy back then and I wanted to know what was going to happen as soon as I could, instead of just letting it happen in front of me. With Star Wars I'm much cooler on it. I love the franchise but not enough to get involved with the communities and such. I'll probably do a midnight showing for Rise but only because it's the last film of its kind and because my friends really want to, rather than because it's a new Star Wars film, if that makes sense? With Game of Thrones I couldn't bring myself to avoid the leaks once I knew where they were, with Star Wars I haven't even gone looking and have no idea where to go. :lol:

Redlambs

Don't even know where to find Star Wars leaks, let alone read them and make sense of them. I should add that with the season 7 Game of Thrones leaks, once I found out where I could read them I got the itch and couldn't bring myself to look away. My feelings for that show were really unhealthy back then and I wanted to know what was going to happen as soon as I could, instead of just letting it happen in front of me. With Star Wars I'm much cooler on it. I love the franchise but not enough to get involved with the communities and such. I'll probably do a midnight showing for Rise but only because it's the last film of its kind and because my friends really want to, rather than because it's a new Star Wars film, if that makes sense? With Game of Thrones I couldn't bring myself to avoid the leaks once I knew where they were, with Star Wars I haven't even gone looking and have no idea where to go. :lol:
:lol: Fair enough!

Well let me spoiler something for you for once, if you think the backlash for the last season of GoT was bad...woah. Now a lot of it we all could predict anyway, but it's simply amazing if they actually run with them all in this film. And you know what? That trailer kind of rings true...

I'm calling it now, this will be @Mockney 's favourite film ever.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Well let me spoiler something for you for once, if you think the backlash for the last season of GoT was bad...woah. Now a lot of it we all could predict anyway, but it's simply amazing if they actually run with them all in this film. And you know what? That trailer kind of rings true...

Nah don't think it will beat Departed!

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City

Meh, backlash only really bothers me when people try to force me into hating something. In the end, the final season of GOT and The Last Jedi getting a lot of fan criticism doesn't really affect my own enjoyment of them. If anything, it enhances my enjoyment because so many arguments keep being brought up against them that I just don't have a problem with. I'm not gonna sit here and say the last season of GoT was perfect, and that The Last Jedi had no issues at all, because both statements would be lies. But the reaction people have when I tell them that The Last Jedi's my favourite Star Wars film and that I preferred season 8 of GoT to season 7... :confused: Their immediate reaction is to try to loudly and forcibly correct me, as if I've been wired incorrectly somewhere along the way. I did a whole podcast series about the currently available Star Wars saga, but I didn't bother plugging it on the Star Wars Reddit for fear of being tracked down by some superfan who had a big problem with the films. So after Rise, which I expect I'll enjoy on some level, I think I'm just gonna see how the discussion goes and then keep my head down as much as I can.

Redlambs

Meh, backlash only really bothers me when people try to force me into hating something. In the end, the final season of GOT and The Last Jedi getting a lot of fan criticism doesn't really affect my own enjoyment of them. If anything, it enhances my enjoyment because so many arguments keep being brought up against them that I just don't have a problem with. I'm not gonna sit here and say the last season of GoT was perfect, and that The Last Jedi had no issues at all, because both statements would be lies. But the reaction people have when I tell them that The Last Jedi's my favourite Star Wars film and that I preferred season 8 of GoT to season 7... :confused: Their immediate reaction is to try to loudly and forcibly correct me, as if I've been wired incorrectly somewhere along the way. I did a whole podcast series about the currently available Star Wars saga, but I didn't bother plugging it on the Star Wars Reddit for fear of being tracked down by some superfan who had a big problem with the films. So after Rise, which I expect I'll enjoy on some level, I think I'm just gonna see how the discussion goes and then keep my head down as much as I can.
TBF you probably are wired a bit wrong if you don't see past all that nonsense and just see S8 for for what it is :lol: A massive let down and waste of potential. All those threads, all those little bits and pieces you used to love dissecting from past seasons, all forgotten about. Are you sure, on reflection, that you'll like it as much down the line? It seems like the stupid twitter/reddit hate mentality we should all be against is kind of still affecting you in it's twisting what you see the other way. If that makes sense.

This, if it's as the leak suggests (and I think it's real, after all, everything adds up), is similar. In that screw fan reaction, screw Rian Johnson apparently trying to go against them with TLJ (which is an incredibly boring film, no idea why it's your favourite but each to their own), it's just a huge waste of potential. They should just have gone with the Jedi Academy/dark forces line, no one would hate that as it would have given everyone what they wanted.

But, like I say, it seems that you are more anti-backlash than pro these films, you just maybe don't realise that yet. I understand it too, the culture of hate is way too much. I agree people should air thoughts and opinions, as it's the way we move forward, but the backlash every little thing gets is ridiculous. That being said: maybe, if it goes down as suggests, this new film will make you realise how much of a nothing film TLJ really is. As in nothing actually happens, and it's all for no real purpose.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Doesn't Ian McDarmid blather on about cheating death in RoTS though?

Also, popular opinion, but the Vader scene in Rogue One is probably the best in 8 and a bit movies (barring parts of ESB).

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
TBF you probably are wired a bit wrong if you don't see past all that nonsense and just see S8 for for what it is :lol: A massive let down and waste of potential. All those threads, all those little bits and pieces you used to love dissecting from past seasons, all forgotten about. Are you sure, on reflection, that you'll like it as much down the line? It seems like the stupid twitter/reddit hate mentality we should all be against is kind of still affecting you in it's twisting what you see the other way. If that makes sense.

This, if it's as the leak suggests (and I think it's real, after all, everything adds up), is similar. In that screw fan reaction, screw Rian Johnson apparently trying to go against them with TLJ (which is an incredibly boring film, no idea why it's your favourite but each to their own), it's just a huge waste of potential. They should just have gone with the Jedi Academy/dark forces line, no one would hate that as it would have given everyone what they wanted.

But, like I say, it seems that you are more anti-backlash than pro these films, you just maybe don't realise that yet. I understand it too, the culture of hate is way too much. I agree people should air thoughts and opinions, as it's the way we move forward, but the backlash every little thing gets is ridiculous. That being said: maybe, if it goes down as suggests, this new film will make you realise how much of a nothing film TLJ really is. As in nothing actually happens, and it's all for no real purpose.
I think I've only become "anti-backlash" over time because I was initially "pro" the season/film and then made to feel bad for doing so, if that makes sense? In the end it's just been repeated exposure to quite aggressive negativity (and positivity, to be honest) that's made me feel so tired when discussing these things with people. I remember watching each of the last three episodes of season 8 live at 2am and thinking "Yeah, that was good!" before going to sleep. I'd wake up the next morning and find out I was apparently completely wrong to enjoy any of them? With The Last Jedi, I first saw it about a week after it came out, so before all the backlash really took hold. I wasn't really that excited by Star Wars then so I wasn't aware of the criticisms. I enjoyed the franchise and I was looking forward to the film, but that was more because I was excited to see what Rian Johnson would do with it after Looper and his work in TV. I thought it was pretty good on first viewing but I was a little bit disappointed because I'd expected something really special, and I felt like I hadn't really been given that. Then the backlash started getting re-tweeted onto my Twitter timeline a few months later (isn't that where this always starts?), by which point I'd started this Star Wars podcast with some friends of mine and was on my way to re-watching it. It improved a lot on second viewing for a number of reasons, and then I started applying the criticisms I'd seen about the film to my analysis of it, and nothing really added up. But that's not really my problem and it's not really why I got so worn out by it all. If people think TLJ sucks, that's fine. One of my best friends whose taste I really trust thinks Blade Runner is a load of boring nonsense, shit happens. But so much of the criticism I saw online became quite volatile and unhealthy, and eventually - like it did with GoT after a time - it just turned into hate-filled soundbites and, inevitably, harassment of cast members. I'd like to talk openly and honestly with someone who felt let down by TLJ or the final season of GoT because I love discussing art with people, but so much of it has devolved into "I dun want it", "They kinda forgot...", "Let's harass D&D at Comic Con!", "Rose was pointless!", "sUbVeRt ExPeCtAtIoNs" etc. etc. and it becomes hard to find a way in to those discussions. And, to be honest, it just sucks to go online and see people ripping the shit out of something I enjoy, so I just want to keep my head away from it most of the time.

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Oh, @Redlambs, as for the GOT stuff - "All those threads, all those little bits and pieces you used to love dissecting from past seasons, all forgotten about" - it's probably for another thread.

Art Vandelay

What's the leak?
Can you link to it?
If it's the one I saw.

Snoke's ring is actually a horcrux and the Emperor's spirit is inside it and he used it to possess Snoke.
The knights who say nee of ren discover the secret and Kylo Ren and Rey team up to destroy the ring. One of the Knights is actually possessed by the Emperor.

As an aside, "dark Rey" looks like she's wearing a ring.
It was a few weeks ago I read it and I'm not even sure where it was, it's different from that leak. Basically:

The Knights of Ren and Rebels(why are they rebelling?) are looking for Empire era super weapons and come across a fleet of star destroyers with death star lazers(which I assume is the fleet of star destroyers in the trailer). The map to them is hidden in something on the destroyed death star, it's a race to get there first. Palpatine's presence is trapped in this device and gets released taking over the body of the Knight of Ren played by Matt Smith. It all culminates in a battle in front of the Emperor between Rey and Kylo just like in Return of the Jedi, because JJ. Then Luke appears all Force ghost and persuades Kylo back to the light, they kill Palpatine but he takes over Kylo who Rey kills and he's not strong enough to take over Rey thus killing Palpatines ghost. Han then appears as a Force ghost and Luke uses the Force to bring Kylo back to life.

That's a very rough version from what I can remember off the top of my head, if I find the actual version I'll post it. It's so monumentally shit that I think it's true.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It was a few weeks ago I read it and I'm not even sure where it was, it's different from that leak. Basically:

The Knights of Ren and Rebels(why are they rebelling?) are looking for Empire era super weapons and come across a fleet of star destroyers with death star lazers(which I assume is the fleet of star destroyers in the trailer). The map to them is hidden in something on the destroyed death star, it's a race to get there first. Palpatine's presence is trapped in this device and gets released taking over the body of the Knight of Ren played by Matt Smith. It all culminates in a battle in front of the Emperor between Rey and Kylo just like in Return of the Jedi, because JJ. Then Luke appears all Force ghost and persuades Kylo back to the light, they kill Palpatine but he takes over Kylo who Rey kills and he's not strong enough to take over Rey thus killing Palpatines ghost. Han then appears as a Force ghost and Luke uses the Force to bring Kylo back to life.

That's a very rough version from what I can remember off the top of my head, if I find the actual version I'll post it. It's so monumentally shit that I think it's true.
This would be amazing

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Please let this happen

Ubik

Given how tightly locked up the scripts/edits of the other Disney released blockbusters have been, sceptical they've taken their eye off the ball for the climax to the series they spent over a billion to get.

Morpheus 7

Nostalgia and using half a trailer of previous entry footage to promote the latest entry says it all. Won't be sucked in to watching this in the cinema. Dear Disney go feck yourself, I don't care what happens. Absolutely milked the best characters of Star Wars to give credibility to inferior ones, a load of shit.