Television Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

choccy77

I was genuinely interested in this show since I like Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan as well as having Vader in it. You can’t really feck it up that badly if you have Obi-Wan as the protagonist, Vader as the antagonist, with Luke and Leia the Macguffins essentially.

Just have Vader hunt and kill jedi knights throughout the show (pretty much decimate them too) then have him come up against Obi-Wan at the end where he pretty much matches Vader stride for stride. No-one wins the fight but Obi-Wan wins since Vader still doesn’t know that Luke and Leia are still around, who they are and where they are, which importantly leads into the original trilogy. Boom. I probably wrote a much better show than this one.

Vader having an inquisitor squad makes him look weaker in my opinion. He should just be a one man wrecking crew space samurai like Lucas intended him to be.
In Rebels and the Comics it's done really well with the Inquisitors.

choccy77

I’ve seen a few people say this but I’m a bit confused. Did Obi-Wan know that Darth Vader was Anakin already, before this series is set?
He knew in ROTS Anakin had become Darth Vader, but never saw him in suit and presumed he killed him on mustafa

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He knew in ROTS Anakin had become Darth Vader, but never saw him in suit and presumed he killed him on mustafa
Yeah so I don’t really see the problem. He didn’t know he was alive until reeva told him. Unless he’s heard somebody refer to somebody called Vader since then he wouldn’t know.

FattyFooty

Never forget this moment when watching The Rise of Skywalker in a packed cinema.

Old lady "Who are you ?"
Rey "I'm Rey"
Old Lady "Rey who ?"
Someone from the audience shouts " REY WINSTONE!!"

God, that film was hilariously bad.
Atleast you had a good moment with a random in the audience.

And yeah, that movie is really bad. Like really really bad.

SuperiorXI

Yeah so I don’t really see the problem. He didn’t know he was alive until reeva told him. Unless he’s heard somebody refer to somebody called Vader since then he wouldn’t know.
He has been in hiding on Tatooine, watching over Luke. Low chance to hear anything about Vader TBH. Makes sense that he wouldn't know.

Kag

Yeah, so this is objectively pretty shite. I gave it a bash on the basis that Ewan McGregor came back for another go and even he seems to be phoning it in.

The premise had promise, but it’s just really, really silly. I’ll still finish it, mind.

Green_Red

I can't understand how anyone could question the quality of this series by saying the originals were far superior. A new hope is one of the worst movies ever made.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The writers don't care much about Obi-Wan, Vader or Leia (we already know Disney hates Luke after that trilogy). The show is more about Reva than any of the other characters so far, and the problem is that she is poorly written, like the rest of the show.

I have a horrible feeling they might pull in Rosario Dawson in the last two episodes. Again, it's not Ahsoka being in the show that is horrifying, far from it, it's how the writers will completely destroy her character arc with criminal writing to gain diversity points.Think an Endgame-esque shot of Ahsoka and Reva teaming up to save poor Obi-Wan Kenobi by kicking Darth Vader's ass.
I wasn't as hyped as some when the trailer hit because, well, this is Disney Wars, but I had some hope. Then the leaks came out about it being about this Reva primarily and I didn't doubt them for a second because, well, this is Disney Wars, and that hope vanished.

It's amazing how they butchered one of the only consistent characters throughout the original movies. It has to be on purpose at this point because we all know how they feel about the fans and what Star Wars was before they bought it.
But Reva did
Sigh...
I’ve seen a few people say this but I’m a bit confused. Did Obi-Wan know that Darth Vader was Anakin already, before this series is set? I haven’t seen anything that suggests he would/should know.

2 man midfield

I wasn't as hyped as some when the trailer hit because, well, this is Disney Wars, but I had some hope. Then the leaks came out about it being about this Reva primarily and I didn't doubt them for a second because, well, this is Disney Wars, and that hope vanished.

It's amazing how they butchered one of the only consistent characters throughout the original movies. It has to be on purpose at this point because we all know how they feel about the fans and what Star Wars was before they bought it.

Sigh...

I remember this scene, but all Obi-Wan really knows is that Anakin now goes by the name of Darth Vader. Once he leaves him for dead in his lava bath he assumes that Anakin/Vader dies right there. I’m not sure how that contradicts what happens in the new series?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Sigh...

Tbf if I was Obi-Wan then I'd probably have forgotten whatever dork name Anakin was called that one time anyway. It's like the least memorable part of everything that happened that day.

cafecillos

Not sure if serious?
That's obvious OTT wumming, but if the original trilogy had come out in the social media era, it would have been ridiculed to no end, as they were stuffed to the brim with all kinds of nonsense: bad dialogues, bad directing, convenient plot points, hammy acting, product placement, etc

And no, I don't think Kenobi is good at all, it's barely watchable at best, but some of the most unhinged criticism is really cringeworthy.

decorativeed

That's obvious OTT wumming, but if the original trilogy had come out in the social media era, it would have been ridiculed to no end, as they were stuffed to the brim with all kinds of nonsense: bad dialogues, bad directing, convenient plot points, hammy acting, product placement, etc

And no, I don't think Kenobi is good at all, it's barely watchable at best, but some of the most unhinged criticism is really cringeworthy.
There's product placement in Star Wars? Must have missed the bit where Greedo orders a Diet Coke in the cantina.

Anyway, your point collapses a bit when you consider all the films of the last decade or more that have poor dialogue and convenient plot points etc and have still been wildly successful.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The coat scene was hilarious. But not in the good way.

foolsgold

Episode 3 showed a bit of promise, but the 4th one stunk. The whole thing is a bit of a plod.

cafecillos

There's product placement in Star Wars? Must have missed the bit where Greedo orders a Diet Coke in the cantina.

Anyway, your point collapses a bit when you consider all the films of the last decade or more that have poor dialogue and convenient plot points etc and have still been wildly successful.
By product placement I meant for example the Ewoks. Star Wars was already huge by then and the Ewoks were a blatant attempt to expand the business.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second paragraph, yes, there have always (not only in the last decade) been plenty of successful bad movies, including the last 3 Star Wars films.

2 man midfield

Episode 3 showed a bit of promise, but the 4th one stunk. The whole thing is a bit of a plod.
It’s such a pointless episode. If they really needed to do a filler episode we could’ve had Obi Wan healing from his wounds, processing Vader being alive, re-establishing his force abilities, Qui-Gon, more Vader...

But they decide to give us the exact same story again - rescue Leia while managing to rip off A New Hope at the same time. It literally did not advance the plot one bit. Why couldn’t they just escape at the end of the previous episode? What did Reeva kidnapping Leia again ultimately add? The characters are now in the same spot as they were a week ago. So not only were there countless daft, nonsensical, convenient, impossible and weird events taking place, they were all in service of nothing anyway.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

also, it was for 12 year olds

Sylar

I do think, reading through this forum, people dont go into shows as much to enjoy but to critique it.

Everything and everywhere, its broken down almost point for point. I do get when things stand as being ridiculous (like the chase scene of young leia) but some of the things are just way OTT right? And ive seen people criticising this show (as an example) despite not having seen it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I do think, reading through this forum, people dont go into shows as much to enjoy but to critique it.

Everything and everywhere, its broken down almost point for point. I do get when things stand as being ridiculous (like the chase scene of young leia) but some of the things are just way OTT right? And ive seen people criticising this show (as an example) despite not having seen it.
I went in expecting to enjoy it. I even put my 12 year old brain on. And then they hid a little girl in a coat and did a 4 legged walk through an enemy stronghold.

Sylar

I went in expecting to enjoy it. I even put my 12 year old brain on. And then they hid a little girl in a coat and did a 4 legged walk through an enemy stronghold.
:lol: Yeah, thats one of the things that stood out for me that just looked ridiculous and surely was there for an inside joke

decorativeed

I never watch anything thinking 'I hope this is shit so I can complain about it.' I set aside my few hours of the day to watch something in the hope of it being good so that I might enjoy it. I'm sure many are the same.

When I've watched something that has had millions of dollars spent on it and it's kinda crappy looking, poorly acted and badly written, I will probably have a pop at it though.

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It’s such a pointless episode. If they really needed to do a filler episode we could’ve had Obi Wan healing from his wounds, processing Vader being alive, re-establishing his force abilities, Qui-Gon, more Vader...

But they decide to give us the exact same story again - rescue Leia while managing to rip off A New Hope at the same time. It literally did not advance the plot one bit. Why couldn’t they just escape at the end of the previous episode? What did Reeva kidnapping Leia again ultimately add? The characters are now in the same spot as they were a week ago. So not only were there countless daft, nonsensical, convenient, impossible and weird events taking place, they were all in service of nothing anyway.
That's literally what we got from the episode.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It's escapism and an easy watch for me. I'd happily watch more series of it especially with more Vader which will happen.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Do you think it's in the top 15 ever?
I love the story, so I'm probably biased. I found "The Force" a compelling idea and perhaps unsurprisingly I took to Taoism when I discovered it, which is the basis for Jedi philosophy. So yes.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He has been in hiding on Tatooine, watching over Luke. Low chance to hear anything about Vader TBH. Makes sense that he wouldn't know.
I’d have thought that after a decade, with Vader hunting the galaxy for Jedi, Ben would have caught wind of his name. Or that Organa would know at least.

I think in the comics he overhears it in a bar on Tatooine, but I can see why they went this route. Plus Vader isn’t exactly a politician running for election, so people could know of the Empire but not him yet.

2 man midfield

That's literally what we got from the episode.
For about 0.1 seconds before going on another pointless Death Star rescue. My point was it could have been given the bulk of the episode.

decorativeed

When's the last time you watched it because I literally rewatched it 4 or 5 nights ago, it's a dreadful movie. The trilogy is saved by ROTJ and TESB.
It's obviously not one of the worst movies ever made, and I doubt you would seriously defend that level of hyperbole. It's a film with flaws, definitely. It's far from perfect, but it has endured precisely because it isn't one of the worst films ever made.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
ANH isn't a well-made film but its shonkiness is part of its charm. Obviously if a new Star Wars film with similar issues was released now it would be absolutely ripped to shreds but expectations are different now. I think it rightly gets a pass because it was made 45 years ago and kickstarted the whole series.