Television Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'll be that guy today: is this worth watching? I'm not a massive Star Wars fan or anything, and I found The Mandalorian to be too formulaic and maybe a little bit boring. I love me some Ewan McGregor, though.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'll be that guy today: is this worth watching? I'm not a massive Star Wars fan or anything, and I found The Mandalorian to be too formulaic and maybe a little bit boring. I love me some Ewan McGregor, though.
You can safely pass on this then, unless you’re desperate for something to watch.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Not loving Star Wars works for the series, i guess. Factoring in love for Ewan i'd say Obi-Wan is a definite maybe for you.

Sylar

Vader is just badass. It is weird how his theme doesn't play unless that's being saved for the last episode

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Thought this episode was great, but

The decision to leave Reva alive is just dumb and only for the plot. We just saw the grand inquisitor come back from the same situation but they decide to just leave her there with her weapon and walk away? That just isn't Vader-like. There's no reason why him or the grand inquisitor wouldn't deal a finishing blow there or at least take her weapon as undeserving. Also so disappointed with his portrayal he's been completely irrelevant to this series.

stevoc

The decision to leave Reva alive is just dumb and only for the plot. We just saw the grand inquisitor come back from the same situation but they decide to just leave her there with her weapon and walk away? That just isn't Vader-like. There's no reason why him or the grand inquisitor wouldn't deal a finishing blow there or at least take her weapon as undeserving. Also so disappointed with his portrayal he's been completely irrelevant to this series.
I smell a spin-off series.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The series has been just okay at best, then today’s episode happened and we saw Vader at peak powers, and you can just inject that shit straight into my veins because I had a full on nerdgasm.

DevTheRed

The series has been just okay at best, then today’s episode happened and we saw Vader at peak powers, and you can just inject that shit straight into my veins because I had a full on nerdgasm.
This.

He’s was badass in this episode.. kinda sad we never got to see the FULL POWER of Vader in the films though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Didn't really bother me. It was clear from the context of their confrontation and backstory that Vader sees her as absolutely zero threat whatsoever, so him not being bothered about finishing her off was okay-enough for me to let it pass. I mean if we're talking about characters not being finished off when they obviously should have been, Vader himself should have been properly killed by Obi-Wan years ago. And he should have returned the favour a couple of episodes ago when he had Obi-Wan defeated but was foiled by a bit of fire between them that obviously shouldn't have been any sort of issue. You can try to justify these things from a character POV afterwards but really it's always about the plot. I kinda expect that sort of thing from Star Wars.

Eddy_JukeZ

Vader is so badass in the new Disney material.

The OG trilogy doesn't really portray him as this all-powerful sith lord. Even the way he "kills" Palpatine in ROTJ is meme overload.

Really hoping for a climactic final showdown in which Obi-Wan betters Anakin once again.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Didn't really bother me. It was clear from the context of their confrontation and backstory that Vader sees her as absolutely zero threat whatsoever, so him not being bothered about finishing her off was okay-enough for me to let it pass. I mean if we're talking about characters not being finished off when they obviously should have been, Vader himself should have been properly killed by Obi-Wan years ago. And he should have returned the favour a couple of episodes ago when he had Obi-Wan defeated but was foiled by a bit of fire between them that obviously shouldn't have been any sort of issue. You can try to justify these things from a character POV afterwards but really it's always about the plot. I kinda expect that sort of thing from Star Wars.
Vader doesn't kill people he sees as threats, he kills everyone he's ruthless. Anyone who fails him or disappoints him, hell even innocent people.

For the fire bit I think he clearly let him escape knowing he'd fight him again. He keeps avoiding finishing the job to toy with him, telling the 3rd sister to stop shooting because he'll come to them rather than just going in and getting the job done. It all ties in to the Jedi being predictable and not being able to help themselves.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Another epic episode. Probably even slightly better than two episodes ago when they faced off. Top writing and execution all around

choccy77

I wonder if we will have a Vader v Ashoka Rebels kind of battle with Obi Wan, & Vader receives some damage on the helmet etc

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Binged the series last night and my overall question is this : Why did they make this ?
Obviously I'm going to discount the $ factor in this but why, why, why, why ?

It's dreadful. The story is abit all over the place, the acting is amateur levels bad and the dialogue is utterly laughable.
The cinematography is really flat. The sets look cheap and Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan sounds like a really bad Matt Berry impersonator.

The only thing that is reasonably well done is the CGI work and Vader, then again Vader's outfit always looks ridiculous in daylight.

Last edited:

Sylar

It's great. I am now wondering if there's any thread for a show that is universally (or even majority) liked

Don't get me wrong , I do like how opinions differ from:

This show is badass to this show is a waste of time
But I am now wondering if something is completely liked (or just so badly hated by all)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's great. I am now wondering if there's any thread for a show that is universally (or even majority) liked

But I am now wondering if something is completely liked (or just so badly hated by all)
The Wire maybe?

SuperiorXI

I feel like in the case of this series there are definitely some weak points/episodes but also some great moments, looking at it as a whole it has been a good watch so far. I feel in the case of Star Wars you should adjust your expectations, as someone else said in the thread it's some blokes flying around with laser sticks, your expectations should be lowered.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm surprised at the amount of positive posts about ep.5, thought it would have been slated.

Personally i've loved this series; I went into it with little expectations, channelled my inner SW nerdism and enjoyed the sentimentality of it all. Storyline is all over the place, a few scenes are laughable but overall it's been an enjoyable watch. Far better than BOBF which I found a snooze fest non-Mando episodes.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Vader is so badass in the new Disney material.

The OG trilogy doesn't really portray him as this all-powerful sith lord. Even the way he "kills" Palpatine in ROTJ is meme overload.

Really hoping for a climactic final showdown in which Obi-Wan betters Anakin once again.
There isn't really any other way he could have killed The Emperor to be fair.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm surprised at the amount of positive posts about ep.5, thought it would have been slated.

Personally i've loved this series; I went into it with little expectations, channelled my inner SW nerdism and enjoyed the sentimentality of it all. Storyline is all over the place, a few scenes are laughable but overall it's been an enjoyable watch. Far better than BOBF which I found a snooze fest non-Mando episodes.
The Book of Boba Fett was poor, agree with that.
Felt like Disney were trying to make a story out of nothing more than the fact that Boba aesthetically looks like a visually cool character but that's all he really is.

There was a moment in one of the episodes last night where Kenobi was reminiscing about his childhood and his upbringing and the cynic in me instantly felt like Disney were already setting in motion a series based on the life and times of a young younglin. :lol:

No stone should be left unturned. Everything about this universe needs to be explained.

And, if I am going to compare, why does this and BOBF look so cinematically flat compared to the Mando series, which looked really nice more often than not ?
There was some real bad wonky camera moments in these two recent series.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Felt like Disney were trying to make a story out of nothing more than the fact that Boba aesthetically looks like a visually cool character but that's all he really is.

There was a moment in one of the episodes last night where Kenobi was reminiscing about his childhood and his upbringing and the cynic in me instantly felt like Disney were already setting in motion a series based on the life and times of a young younglin. :lol:

No stone should be left unturned. Everything about this universe needs to be explained.

And, if I am going to compare, why does this and BOBF look so cinematically flat compared to the Mando series, which looked really nice more often than not ?
The worst thing about BOBF was compared to how he was imagined he was practically a pussy.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The worst thing about BOBF was compared to how he was imagined he was practically a pussy.
The whole concept of Boba was that he was a bounty hunter. He kidnapped or killed for money. But we (Disney) have to change that .

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

They should do an adaptation of the Jedi apprentice series, that series is better than most of the new shit they've churned out.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
5th was better than the rest, noticeably better writing for sure. The finale should also answer the question of why Vader didn't seek Obi Wan out for 20 years after this time period. He either thinks he's dead or got a proper ass kicking.

Either way, Reva dying a death next episode. Hopefully buried under the moisture machines at Owens place to spice things up a bit.

SuperiorXI

5th was better than the rest, noticeably better writing for sure. The finale should also answer the question of why Vader didn't seek Obi Wan out for 20 years after this time period. He either thinks he's dead or got a proper ass kicking.

Either way, Reva dying a death next episode. Hopefully buried under the moisture machines at Owens place to spice things up a bit.
To make their ANH meeting make sense, Obi Wan must beat him; perhaps he will win but then look like he has some sort of accident making Vader think he's dead.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Question on yesterday's episode:

How did Obi-Wan and friends get away on their ship after Vader used his powers to down it ? Was there a smaller ship within the bigger one ?

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
I want to like it but its not great is it.
The scene 2 episodes ago when Vader and Kenobi fought in the quarry looked like it was filmed in a car-park at night. Probably was.

Yesterdays episode was better but its a low bar.
With this series and same with the Boba Fett one I'm always waiting for future episodes hoping it really picks up, but the more backstory they give these characters the less interesting it becomes.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
A multi-billion dollar company and they go and hire screenwriters from Aldi :houllier:

Dan

How did Obi-Wan and friends get away on their ship after Vader used his powers to down it ? Was there a smaller ship within the bigger one ?
Wasn’t it behind it?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Obi Wan states in that flashback fight with Anakin the Padawan that Anakin's all-consuming desire to prove himself, to win, blinds him and actually makes him lose, and will be the reason he remains the Padawan and doesn't become a Master. In this case, Vader's desire was to destroy that ship, and it blinded him to the fact that there were two ships, the second one behind the first one, hidden in the dust. Vader annihilates the first one using all his anger and his powers, but the second one flies away before he has time to react.

Don't ask why the people weren't evacuated in the second ship before Obi Wan arrived.