Television Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It seems people are actually using Gina fecking Carano as a cover for their racist bullshit.

Absolute state of some people.
Imma miss that hot crazy bitch in the next Mando season.

Why couldn't my eye candy just shut up and take the money. What's wrong with people :(

Blood Mage

How the feck are they going to replace James Earl Jones as the voice of Darth Vader when he eventually passes? Just as iconic as the black suit itself.

The show definitely looks and feels cheap at times but feck it, just give me Obi Wan and Vader scenes and I'm happy.

Zen

The absolutely horrendous transformation of Vader to 'evil' in Revenge of the Sith have really hurt the Vader character for me, it's like really hard to ignore the fact that's what we're supposed to believe is him.

But other than that, it's still probably better than anything Star Wars related in my lifetime ... but I've not watched the Mandalorian.

Spoony

The People's President
Watched a bit of this ‘cos a Star Wars fan is staying with us… everyone is absolutely terrible in it. The idea Moses Ingram is uniquely bad is some impressive reaching… if anything she’s on the better side. Ewan is significantly dodgier for some reason. And I like Ewan. Everyone is acting like it’s some kind of weird panto read-through… Which it is, I guess.

Also it looks terrible. Not prequel terrible, but visually very bland. Like when Dr Who used to shoot all its big scenes in a quarry. Also James Earl Jones sounds bad.

Anyway. Star Wars fans are absolutely awful. I hope all their willies fall off.

Agreed with all that. And yeah for a big budget show it doesn't look great.

choccy77

Was that James Earl Jones or have they used some other way of replicating his voice? He sounded far better than he did in Rogue One and younger.
It was JEJ yes, but they also used AI as well.

The AI has improved since Rogue One.

It was very much more ESB Vader in this episode.

choccy77

Remember, they are using the stage and volume for this, so it's going to look and feel a certain way, as has the other Star Wars shows.

It would be nice to see some more grittier places, but it's still down to the quality of writing.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It was JEJ yes, but they also used AI as well.

The AI has improved since Rogue One.

It was very much more ESB Vader in this episode.
Yeah it's noticeable. I thought Vader sounded older in Rogue One than he does in A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Nice to see how much effort they're making, like they did with Luke in Mando vs how he looks in Book of Boba.

DevTheRed

Let's be honest Vader has made this show, it'd be pretty average without his presence.
I do agree with this.. much how Mando made Boba Fett interesting.

I was kinda hoping for more from Obi-Wan.. hopefully he livens up a bit as the season goes on.

Hamnat

Some parts looked like a fan film. Really want to like it, but almost everything on the mining planet looked terrible or not well directed.
Exactly how I felt. There are some unforgiveable directing and production choices so far IMO.

The Obi/Vader slow chase in the mining field was silly to me in a scene that was clearly supposed to be menacing. As weak as Obi is once Vadar sees him there's no way he should even be able to get away at all.

I know we are meant to think Vadar is toying with him and stringing out the inevitable torture, but I felt like it needed to be filmed differently again so it was clear there were obstacles "helping" Obi not just be immediately force held. That said the end with the fire was good and dark.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Why can't anyone act properly?* The only actual iffy actor is Hayden Christensen, and he hasn't done nothing yet! How do you make a scene between Ewan McGregor and Indira Varma stilted and shit?

*tbf, the little girl is good. But Ewan seems like he got his lines about 5 minutes before the cameras rolled.

Tyrion

Why can't anyone act properly?* The only actual iffy actor is Hayden Christensen, and he hasn't done nothing yet! How do you make a scene between Ewan McGregor and Indira Varma stilted and shit?

*tbf, the little girl is good. But Ewan seems like he got his lines about 5 minutes before the cameras rolled.
The little girl is really good. I'm surprised they dared cast a child as a younger version of an original character after the horrendous treatment of Jake Lloyd though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Episode 3 was amazing. Arguably true best piece of Star Wars content Disney have done.
I’d agree with this. Good story, pacing, and production design. Acting was ok. Directing left a bit to be desired, but all things said a fun, enjoyable watch that has successfully channeled the ethos of the better films.

Vapor trail

Exactly how I felt. There are some unforgiveable directing and production choices so far IMO.

The Obi/Vader slow chase in the mining field was silly to me in a scene that was clearly supposed to be menacing. As weak as Obi is once Vadar sees him there's no way he should even be able to get away at all.

I know we are meant to think Vadar is toying with him and stringing out the inevitable torture, but I felt like it needed to be filmed differently again so it was clear there were obstacles "helping" Obi not just be immediately force held. That said the end with the fire was good and dark.
I agree I have enjoyed the contents of some of the episodes but I don't think Disney objectively will be good value for the star wars franchise In the long run. I think they'll massively milk the series as oppose to giving it a creative and dynamic direction.

The same criticism we see with the Marvel films is the sort of seasoning Disney are reminiscent of. They have totally nullified the ability to make truly outstanding content with their strategy. Look at the state of the Lucas related movies they've released the last installment was a good summation of their deficiencies. It was game of thrones level stuff, rushed with no impactful intent.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dark side villains feel a bit obsolete to me. Especially the dude in the samurai hat. He's saterday morning cartoon level bad.

I will watch it becayse it's Star Wars, but still feel Disney are slowly (not slowly at all) destroying the mysticism that surrounded Star Wars and its characters.

We can all buy our children the new cute robot though, so who cares.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
What was mystical about a bloke wearing an ant helmet in the first place though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dark side villains feel a bit obsolete to me. Especially the dude in the samurai hat. He's saterday morning cartoon level bad.

I will watch it becayse it's Star Wars, but still feel Disney are slowly (not slowly at all) destroying the mysticism that surrounded Star Wars and its characters.

Is this really the case, or do you think it might be because you're growing older ?

Woodzy

I personally think Disney have brought the franchise back to life, when at one point you thought that any more Star Wars would have been flogging a dead horse.

Okay, we are probably getting a bit too much content but quite a lot of it has been enjoyable.

Saying that, I’m one of the only people that would pick Episode 7 as the best of the sequel trilogy and up there with the original trilogy so my opinion may not be valid.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I personally think Disney have brought the franchise back to life, when at one point you thought that any more Star Wars would have been flogging a dead horse.

Okay, we are probably getting a bit too much content but quite a lot of it has been enjoyable.

Saying that, I’m one of the only people that would pick Episode 7 as the best of the sequel trilogy and up there with the original trilogy so my opinion may not be valid.
A bit of a mixed bag for me. On one hand, the 4 recent films have been very good (not particularly hard given the previous 3 that Lucas put out 20 years ago). On the other hand, the series have been a bit hit or miss. Mandalorian was ok, didn't particularly care for Boba Fett, but Obi Wan has been absolutely fantastic for a variety of reasons.

What they should've done is started with Obi Wan first, then branched out to other series with some of the ancillary characters instead of doing it backwards as they have.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

When the Inquisitors are lined up outside the house and then you hear Vaders breathing was a brilliant moment, real goosebumps stuff

Also how does Reva know Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker? Wasnt that a super closely guarded secret after RoTS? Im assuming she was able to rip it from Obi Wans mind as opposed to everyone knowing :confused:

kps88

There's just something a bit off with this show. The acting, direction, production, music is all a level below what it should be. Also, it feels like all the villains are restricted to walking pace.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There's just something a bit off with this show. The acting, direction, production, music is all a level below what it should be. Also, it feels like all the villains are restricted to walking pace.
The directing is definitely a bit off. No issues with the acting, production design, sound design etc. We do have to remember that this is a TV show with on a relatively small budget when compared to the films

Raoul

Admin
Staff
When the Inquisitors are lined up outside the house and then you hear Vaders breathing was a brilliant moment, real goosebumps stuff

Also how does Reva know Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker? Wasnt that a super closely guarded secret after RoTS? Im assuming she was able to rip it from Obi Wans mind as opposed to everyone knowing :confused:
The bit that got me was when Vader briefly paused to recognize Obi-Wan's presence through the force, before having actually seen him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Ingram has been great as a villain... Really menacing and with a good presence.

Anyway, really enjoying this. Episode 3 was great... Vader just straight up murdering folk was quite something.

Also really liked the world of Episode 2...I'm always keen to see the dark under belly of the Star Wars universe.

choccy77

We went decades off and on without any content, but it's not about content, but quality.

Disney screwed up the sequals and then messed up again by trying to backtrack etc.

Hopefully, things will get better going forward

Bebe

Sequels? What sequels? I don’t remember any sequels
A wise approach that I've also adopted.

Disney have been absolutely terrible for Star Wars, which should have been obvious when they binned the entire EU and replaced it with the tripe we're seeing now.

That being said, watching Obi-Wan and Vader scenes still has a lot of nostalgia credit in the bank for me. Also, little Leia is great.

jackal&hyde

Me, too. I think, overall, Disney have been pretty good for the franchise.
Yeah, that's why half the internet hates it and after the second movie people refused to go to the cinema, making solo a bomb.

My opinion, no spoilers:

I've watched the show, so the good:
- fantastic acting. Ewan Mcgregor is an artist; some of the new characters are superb too, fantastic casting, especially in the more difficult areas.
- it looks amazing. From the set pieces to the cinematography it's all superb.
- the writing in dialogue is very good. Like really, really good. I don't want to spoil anything, but even dialogue that had the capacity to be cringe, is made super well.

The bad:
-there are a lot of things that relate to character behavior and new characters abilities but, being only part of the story, it's difficult to say things with conviction. Some characters look stupid and others OP in intelligence (it does not make sense for knowing what they know).

At this point, I'd say it's both amazing as it is predictable as a Kathleen Kennedy woke piece. Where it actually lands, we will see. I have high hopes that it's going to be a good story serving to distance SW more from the train wreck that were the sequels but, it can also land on the most offensive story telling series ever by making incompetence off all except the "one".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
At this point, I'd say it's both amazing as it is predictable as a Kathleen Kennedy woke piece. Where it actually lands, we will see. I have high hopes that it's going to be a good story serving to distance SW more from the train wreck that were the sequels but, it can also land on the most offensive story telling series ever by making incompetence off all except the "one".
Can you expand on this ?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nothing makes me roll my eyes harder then a serious use of the term "woke"

God I feckin hate that word.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

Not once in 34 years have I ever thought 'you know what I appreciate about Star Wars, how all the characters are a mystery.'