Television Star Wars Universe

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yep. The first has a shonky charm but it's all over the place as an actual film. The second is better made. The third is half good half shite.

I can only imagine the sort of reaction final-film revelations like "actually, it turns out they're brother and sister!" would get from modern, hyper-critical audiences. "They spent all that time building up the Emperor and then just kill him without giving us any backstory?!" Etc, etc.
Im not particularly fond of Star Wars, and it’s been ages since I’ve watched the prequels, but I found this film the most frustrating. There’s actually a good movie in there trying to burst free. It has some great elements in there and with a little more care and finesse it could have been a really powerful and interesting work.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Star Wars Rebels is, in my opinion, better than Clone Wars, from probably season 2 onwards. Bad Batch is ok so far, but hasn't really gotten going.
The last 3 episodes have been much better (not seen this week’s episode), but it was a bit boring & I’m not a fan of Omega’s character yet.

cafecillos

I don't remember Rebels all that well, and The Bad Batch is really taking its sweet time to take off, but certain parts of The Clone Wars are just the best Star Wars has ever been on screen, including the original trilogy.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have good hopes for Boba Fett. It looked like a worthy spinoff from Mandalorian with the same production value and timeline.

backofthenet

He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
The last 3 episodes have been much better (not seen this week’s episode), but it was a bit boring & I’m not a fan of Omega’s character yet.
Would agree about Omega. She's not really bringing anything to the series. Episode 9 was a good one, and brings a little something extra, but I'm not really seeing a shape to the series yet.

choccy77

I don't remember Rebels all that well, and The Bad Batch is really taking its sweet time to take off, but certain parts of The Clone Wars are just the best Star Wars has ever been on screen, including the original trilogy.
Rebels is a great show. Deffo give it a full re-watch as it set's up a lot of Mando and also what is to come in future.

choccy77

So apparently The Obi Wan Series is going to heavily focus on a young Princess leia according to today's reports and have signed Vivien Lyra Blair to play a young Leia.

I hate Disney

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It'll be hard to screw up Thrawn with so much good source material, but you never know after what we witnessed already.

Hopefully they'll give the character some proper actor to work it out. Christian Bale or someone else with slice of charisma.

AaronRedDevil

So apparently The Obi Wan Series is going to heavily focus on a young Princess leia according to today's reports and have signed Vivien Lyra Blair to play a young Leia.

I hate Disney
That kinda makes sense since we never saw what it was like when Luke knew Leia. Could be good to see it tbh.

lsd

The Oracle
It'll be hard to screw up Thrawn with so much good source material, but you never know after what we witnessed already.

Hopefully they'll give the character some proper actor to work it out. Christian Bale or someone else with slice of charisma.

So not Vin Diesel then?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yep. The first has a shonky charm but it's all over the place as an actual film. The second is better made. The third is half good half shite.

I can only imagine the sort of reaction final-film revelations like "actually, it turns out they're brother and sister!" would get from modern, hyper-critical audiences. "They spent all that time building up the Emperor and then just kill him without giving us any backstory?!" Etc, etc.
I saw the original trilogy and the prequels around the same time. I was maybe 10-12 at the time, so it's not like I have childhood nostalgia for one and a hyper-critical lens for the others.

I didn't mind Phantom Menace too much, the last fight sequence made up for a meandering movie, found AOTC ok but very forgettable, and *hated* ROTS, had a strong urge to walk out. The endless meaningless comic-book fight of Anakin and Obi-Wan, the ending with the NOooooooooo, and freezing the characters in place for 20 years - ruined my mood.
I loved the 3 original movies equally, I know adult reviewers find 6 bad, but as a kid I loved it all.

I don't think it's just nostalgia vs heightened expectations, I think the originals were genuinely better movies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Or that was just the first time most of us saw him lumbering around mumbling nonsense in the darkness
Yup. Perfect bloke to play mysterious space convict, not entirely sure if perfect to play decorated strategist & art expert.

Shame Alan Rickman no longer with us. In prime years he would pull this off without a sweat.

choccy77

I saw the original trilogy and the prequels around the same time. I was maybe 10-12 at the time, so it's not like I have childhood nostalgia for one and a hyper-critical lens for the others.

I didn't mind Phantom Menace too much, the last fight sequence made up for a meandering movie, found AOTC ok but very forgettable, and *hated* ROTS, had a strong urge to walk out. The endless meaningless comic-book fight of Anakin and Obi-Wan, the ending with the NOooooooooo, and freezing the characters in place for 20 years - ruined my mood.
I loved the 3 original movies equally, I know adult reviewers find 6 bad, but as a kid I loved it all.

I don't think it's just nostalgia vs heightened expectations, I think the originals were genuinely better movies.
Actually regarding the Original Trilogy, Return of the Jedi has grown a lot with adults over the years, which is good because, nickpicking aside (Boba dies, Ewoks) it's actually a very good movie.

Phantom Menace has actually been the movie that has grown on many as they have gotten older and they appreciate the story more.

Attack of the Clones well, i'm not sure if that will ever really grow on anyone as a whole, but it moves the story on.

Revenge of the Sith is a good movie, but consider that it was originally 4 half hours long ( just as Phantom was also) they could have maybe worked it a little better.

These three films are where Lucas had free reign over and no one pulling him back in as was the case with the original trilogy, which helped make them where they needed to go,

And aside from the The Force Awakens, the other two were just not great as a result of Disney having zero plans thought out and well JJ wasn't bothered as it was only one film he was initially responsible for and that set up was ignored by the director and writer of The Last Jedi and JJ was then begged to come and fix it for The Rise of Skywalker which was by then far too late.

Thankfully Dave Filoni & John Favreau are saving the franchise at this point with the animated work and the Tv Series with more of that to come from our studios also (Anime Star Wars Soon)

Bobski

The biggest problems with the most recent films are shit characters, and especially for me, the rapid ADHD tonal shifts. Exhausting to watch, slapstick to melodrama to quippy marvel-esque jokes to social commentary to personal drama, to bombast, to serious film to whatever comes next. Let each scene and character breathe a little instead of trying to stuff everything in.

Rogue One is the best of the Disney films for me, still has its flaws but it is more restrained than the main trilogy.

choccy77

Han from Fast and Furious is playing the 5th Brother in Obi Wan series

hungrywing

I hate Disney
One can hate them for all the usual reasons.

The wee-little-lassie-Leia thing is because Obi Wan is the only project still under the control of guess who.

choccy77

One can hate them for all the usual reasons.

The wee-little-lassie-Leia thing is because Obi Wan is the only project still under the control of guess who.
Oh yes, I just don't see that having Leia as a focus is necessary.

Rebels already touches on all of the early Leia stuff we don't need her as a 10 year old running tantrum cos daddy isn't around to take her to Disney Land.

hungrywing

Oh yes, I just don't see that having Leia as a focus is necessary.

Rebels already touches on all of the early Leia stuff we don't need her as a 10 year old running tantrum cos daddy isn't around to take her to Disney Land.
From you-know-who's contract with Disney:

There shall be a petite brunette in all SW projects run by the SECOND PARTY.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
So started watching the first couple of 'The Bad Batch' yesterday.. Wasnt very fond to be honest of their episodes in the original Clone Wars series, but what I saw so far I really enjoyed.

ha_rooney

I thought The Bad Batch was decent, some episodes were really good & some were meh. Once they focused less purely on Omega, it was generally better IMO.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like all the other ships in SW and ST, it'll always be that ship to me.

Simbo

God damn do the media love shit like that. They've just took it off some lego toy or something?

Slave 1 has always been a 'Firespray-31-class' patrol craft.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i'm 99% sure "slave I" (or "firespray" for that matter) was never mentioned in the movies. where does this attachment come from?

e - also the name change is dumb it's not like fett is supposed to be a positive role model.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
i'm 99% sure "slave I" (or "firespray" for that matter) was never mentioned in the movies. where does this attachment come from?

e - also the name change is dumb it's not like fett is supposed to be a positive role model.
I bet they've had that 'from wookies to wokies' line waiting to go for ages and been dying to use it.

choccy77

I thought The Bad Batch was decent, some episodes were really good & some were meh. Once they focused less purely on Omega, it was generally better IMO.
It's all leading up to Filling in gaps for Mando 3 and also bridging how Palpatine was brought back.

choccy77

40 years of everything Star Wars! Toys, Books, Comics, Cartoons, Games, LucasFilm, Lucas Arts, Kenner, Hasbro and Disney

choccy77

So it's been confirmed.......(warning this is big)

Han Solo returns.

Ford has shot new scenes and will be de-aged

Whilst likely he will be in the Boba Fett series, he could also appear in Mando or Ashoka as all in same time line.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Can't they just move on from the old gang ?
And why de-age him ? Just bring in a different actor for the role.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can't they just move on from the old gang ?
And why de-age him ? Just bring in a different actor for the role.
Exactly. They literally already cast a younger actor and made a film with him. Surely that was the passing of the torch, so why not use him?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Exactly. They literally already cast a younger actor and made a film with him. Surely that was the passing of the torch, so why not use him?
its just sad and a little embarrassing. Just move on. The younger audience ,very likely, couldn't give a hoot who this character is and with good reason because that wasn't their generation. Just fan-service for the older audience. Haven't they had enough fan service already ? We've had a pointless, soulless, messy prequel film in Rogue One with some, frankly, terrible CGI work on actors who're no longer with us, we've got a series on a minor character in Bobby Fett , a series on Obi Wan and now this.
Mando is the only interesting live-action thing Disney have done since they brought the brand, and even then it wasn't exactly the most original idea *cough* Lone Wolf and Cub.
Urhh.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Because the timeline doesn't match, that's why.
Yeah but how many people would have a problem with them just using the other actor? If he does a good enough job then people will suspend their disbelief.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd have thought one of the lessons to learn after TROS would be to stop relying on nostalgia, not to double down on it. These guys' inability to move beyond pre-existing characters is remarkable. They have a massive universe in which to build whatever stories they like yet they insist on making it as small as possible.

I had thought Ford had the good sense to be done with the character though.

Last edited: