Television Star Wars Universe

Revan

Assumptionman
its just sad and a little embarrassing. Just move on. The younger audience ,very likely, couldn't give a hoot who this character is and with good reason because that wasn't their generation. Just fan-service for the older audience. Haven't they had enough fan service already ? We've had a pointless, soulless, messy prequel film in Rogue One with some, frankly, terrible CGI work on actors who're no longer with us, we've got a series on a minor character in Bobby Fett , a series on Obi Wan and now this.
Mando is the only interesting live-action thing Disney have done since they brought the brand, and even then it wasn't exactly the most original idea *cough* Lone Wolf and Cub.
Urhh.
Rogue One was great.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Visually Rogue One was impressive but it was soulless and didnt make a jot of sense.
And that Vader moment at the end was totally out of character. Pure fan service.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Visually Rogue One was impressive but it was soulless and didnt make a jot of sense.
And that Vader moment at the end was totally out of character. Pure fan service.
I'd argue out of all the Star Wars movies recently it's the only one that does make sense and the only one with soul.

Do agree that the Vader scene was fan service, out of character though? Not so sure, he doesn't shy away from a fight. In ANH he was fighting alongside his troops in a Tie Advanced at the end. In Empire he lands on Hoth and is on the front line, he creates a trap and actively fights Luke. It's not like he's one of the generals who sits on a big capital ship and just barks out orders. I've not seen any of the cartoons but am aware that he fights a fair bit in them.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'd argue out of all the Star Wars movies recently it's the only one that does make sense and the only one with soul.

Do agree that the Vader scene was fan service, out of character though? Not so sure, he doesn't shy away from a fight. In ANH he was fighting alongside his troops in a Tie Advanced at the end. In Empire he lands on Hoth and is on the front line, he creates a trap and actively fights Luke. It's not like he's one of the generals who sits on a big capital ship and just barks out orders. I've not seen any of the cartoons but am aware that he fights a fair bit in them.
Not to mention it ties in with the very start of ANH when he goes onto Leia's ship. Of all the many things to have a pop at, Vader actually fighting seems the most odd.

Vader was feared throughout the galaxy why exactly? Because he was a softy that didn’t lose his temper? He slaughtered a whole school of kids ffs :lol:

Rogue One was absolutely brilliant by the way, best of anything since the original trilogy and by some distance.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Nah, always preferred Vader when he lets his minions do the dirty work. Gives him more presence and dominance I feel.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Vader was feared throughout the galaxy why exactly? Because he was a softy that didn’t lose his temper? He slaughtered a whole school of kids ffs :lol:

Rogue One was absolutely brilliant by the way, best of anything since the original trilogy and by some distance.
Lets not talk about that. :lol:
Jesus, the prequels sucked bad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Tbf, there's only one great SW film and that was Empire, followed by the seminal New Hope.
Everything after those two is a after thought for me, yes even ROTJ.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not to mention it ties in with the very start of ANH when he goes onto Leia's ship. Of all the many things to have a pop at, Vader actually fighting seems the most odd.
Aye, I like the fact that he's out there getting his hands dirty being a proper sith lord badass. Reminds me of the old Generals leading the troops on the battlefield being an honorable fecker and starting his enemies in the eyes. Much better than just sitting on the bridge of a ship barking out orders while playing mobile games on his phone. Pretty sure the Emperor is a Candy Crush legend.

choccy77

Out of Character?

He slaughtered tons of kids in the Jedi temple :confused:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Tbf, there's only one great SW film and that was Empire, followed by the seminal New Hope.
Everything after those two is a after thought for me, yes even ROTJ.
Between New Hope and Empire there was a SW Holiday Special. First sign of uncertain times and that's back in 1978.

choccy77

Between New Hope and Empire there was a SW Holiday Special. First sign of uncertain times and that's back in 1978.
Strictly Speaking, Before Empire was the original Sequel script turned novel... Splinters of the minds eye.

Believing Star Wars would fail, George looked for a cheap story option featuring Leia and Luke and had it commissioned.

Once ESB was green lit, the story ended up as a novel.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Strictly Speaking, Before Empire was the original Sequel script turned novel... Splinters of the minds eye.

Believing Star Wars would fail, George looked for a cheap story option featuring Leia and Luke and had it commissioned.

Once ESB was green lit, the story ended up as a novel.
I read it a few years ago ... quite terrible.

Bobski

I agree with this, you could easily point out that the characters were shallow, they were, but for all its flaws it had more emotional resonance with me than any of the modern trilogy, it made the empire feel threatening again. You can debate all day over the failings of TLJ and ROS( and get drawn into the tedious political agendas around online critique of TLJ especially) but the worst thing for me is the tone. That god damm Marvel quippy nonsense, the rapid switches from attempting serious drama, to slapstick humour, to action comedy, to melodrama, it is unbearably distracting for me, events which should have emotional impact happen and instead of letting them breathe and the characters be introspective for a minute they are back into comedy.

Rogue One is a lot more consistent in tone, darker which is befitting the desperation of the story and Felicity Jones is just a better actress than Daisy Ridley, she does a lot with little.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Rogue one was crap, as were all the modern Star Wars. Only one worth a dam is The Mandolorian.

Gambit

Get out of town. Solo was a complete and utter mess from start of finish with a complete shocker of a middle section. I dare you to rewatch it.
Never will. I just said its the best of the bunch not a film I like.

Gambit

Incident where Gareth Edwards during his up-and-coming career in Britain once never paid one of Gambit's acquaintances for services rendered confirmed.
A fair few of my acquaintances made a lot from Star Wars. Feckers gave me Jack all though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What's the idea behind Maul showing up ?
Is he going to be appearing in the movies/tv shows now ?

choccy77

What's the idea behind Maul showing up ?
Is he going to be appearing in the movies/tv shows now ?
It was to lead to other things, however, Solo in the cinema wasn't the big hit KK and Disney expected.... mostly due to bad timing of the release and everything was put on hold.

It's rumored to be picked up again in the future with a possible Solo Or Lando series coming around 2024 or 2025

Solo actually has become a movie that gets better the more you watch it.

The first time I watched it in cinema I just sat there comparing him to Harrison Ford... the more times you see it, you appreciate everything else and you just accept that's a young Han.

Rogue One is a great war film set in Star Wars universe and remains strong.

The Force Awakens was a good film but ultimately, let down badly by the last two movies and so suffers by association.

People say Mando is best thing they've done, but honestly, Rebels is probably the best thing they have done to date, as it pretty much sets up so much we are seeing and will see from the TV series side of things.

choccy77

The Book of Boba Fett is out

Great first episode.

Wish these were longer

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So, I'm sat down watching ROTJ and Bib Fortuna still reminds me of David Bowie.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
ROTJ is a bad film held up by the majority of the 3rd act, basically the space battle.

Genuinely forget how much of a mess it is.