g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Starfield | Metacritic (Series X): 83, OpenCritic: 86

Macern

Pee pee pants
I'm sure on their podcast he said he didn't even experience Factions til 75 hours in with his review tied up already. Theres obviously some fair frustrations with the game, but he was always going to score it lower after all the shit he got for giving Fallout 4 a 10. And we know IGNs traffic is mostly PS focussed :smirk:

If Ryan M had reviewed it (not cherry picking him, he's their 2nd reviewer), you're looking at a 9-10. Then Gamespot becomes an outlier and Metacritics weighted score becomes 90+. Shows how silly it is to let these scores rule the narrative really.
Starfield is so big that it’s also a bit unfair to review the game after ‘only’ 60-80 hours. It’s like rating a football player in a game after 20 minutes.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
4 hours left of work today and then I’m going to spend the entire weekend gaming this. Oblivion is my favourite game ever with Skyrim not too far behind, and Interstellar is my favourite movie ever so this should be right up my alley.

I still play and finish Oblivion once every other year, hopefully this can keep me occupied until TES VI in 5 years.
Hopefully you’ll love this too. Personally I’m really enjoying it and have done almost from the very start. I’m glad I’ve not read too many reviews, so far, it’s awesome.

Looks great, plays well and the combat is so much better than I’d expected from Bathesda, miles better than fallouts combat.

Soundtrack is great, very stirring, already under my skin.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
About an 2 hours in, but about 90 minutes of which picking a background and traits - feck sake

evil_geko

Pretty much this:

Basically what my rant was about last night. Common sense is lost for a long time.

Anyway, might do another BG3 run until they patch the performance a bit as I saw it can be a bit laggy in big cities.

Yeah reading the reviews on Reddit dont think I'll be getting 60fps on my 3070. Might have to drop down to low/medium settings
Nah, I saw some 3070 gameplays, you will be fine even on High I think, maybe in big cities lower to Medium. Also there will be DLSS modded for you to use if you don't mind that, as FSR still looks worse.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
What have you gone for?
Space Scoundrel background

Traits:
Extrovert
Empath
Alien DNA

I want to be able to talk my character out of situations but if I screw it up I can pistol whip people early on. At least that is what I think I can do...

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Pain.

Get in, make a banging hazelnut coffee and sit down to finally play...I fecking forgot steam and the unpacking which takes way longer than the download which is why I should have remembered not to pre download :(

Volumiza

Pain.

Get in, make a banging hazelnut coffee and sit down to finally play...I fecking forgot steam and the unpacking which takes way longer than the download which is why I should have remembered not to pre download :(
Bad times! Patience though young man, is key :)

Im properly down the rabbit hole. Dunno if my love of sci fi and Skyrim are masking glaring faults, maybe, it certainly ain’t perfect but so far I’m absolutely loving it. Not done enough to see how my character traits play out yet but it is going very nicely indeed.

Some very (very) minor frame rate loss while on New Atlantis, but nothing worse than most other games when you wheel round a busy play area with large draw distances.

So far, I’m dead impressed.

Redlambs

Bad times! Patience though young man, is key :)

Im properly down the rabbit hole. Dunno if my love of sci fi and Skyrim are masking glaring faults, maybe, it certainly ain’t perfect but so far I’m absolutely loving it. Not done enough to see how my character traits play out yet but it is going very nicely indeed.

Some very (very) minor frame rate loss while on New Atlantis, but nothing worse than most other games when you wheel round a busy play area with large draw distances.

So far, I’m dead impressed.
I'm genuinely excited :lol:

I have no idea why I do this to myself considering my love/hate relationships with Skyrim and Fallout3, and my hate/hate one with FO4...but something about the setting of this just gets me.

Volumiza

I'm genuinely excited :lol:

I have no idea why I do this to myself considering my love/hate relationships with Skyrim and Fallout3, and my hate/hate one with FO4...but something about the setting of this just gets me.
Yeah FO has never done it for me. At all. And I have tried trying desperately to fill the huge hole that Skyrim leaves.

I know you’re always much more critical (pernickety :) ) than I am so I’ll be interested in your opinions over the weekend.

Shark

@NotShark
Pain.

Feel your pain man. Glad I ended up playing for like an hour last night/morning just to mess around with some settings. Visuals are genuinely impressing me and so far I'm getting only the odd frame rate hiccup at Ultra settings 1440p. No bugs so far also thankfully.

Feels like a standard Bethesda open world experience so far, maybe more in the realm of Fallout, but not deep enough into it yet to really form much of an opinion.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Weirdly enough reinstalling it on my C drive rather than on my D drive previously have fixed the bugs and performance issues for now!

Ainu

Weirdly enough reinstalling it on my C drive rather than on my D drive previously have fixed the bugs and performance issues for now!
The game did come with an SSD requirement, so that might have something to do with it. Is your D drive significantly slower than your C?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sounds like people are disappointed about the space travel, or lack of it. I would’ve liked that too. Otherwise hearing good stuff.

Redlambs

The game did come with an SSD requirement, so that might have something to do with it. Is your D drive significantly slower than your C?
Also through Steam it's highly recommended to use main drives for stuff like this.

Anyway I've fiddled with some settings, but largely getting 70-75fps at 1440p. Not too bad for a launch game on this scale with that trash FSR. DLSS patch cannot come soon enough though :lol:

Gehrman

Its the same harddisk(SSD). Just partioned into C and D. I installed in D because I was low on space on C

Redlambs

Sounds like people are disappointed about the space travel, or lack of it. I would’ve liked that too. Otherwise hearing good stuff.
I've just started but already the gunplay is miles better than Cyberpunk. There's weight to it and charging around gun-butting everyone reminds me of OG halo.

Yeah I'm not going to like the space travel aspect at all, very shite. But so far so good in performance and the basic stuff.

Gehrman

Yeah steam is installed on my C drive. But ive installed another game on my D drive from steam recently without any probs. Anyways it really shouldnt be an issue but for some reason that fixed it.

Redlambs

Yeah steam is installed on my C drive. But ive installed another game on my D drive from steam recently without any probs. Anyways it really shouldnt be an issue but for some reason that fixed it.
Nah, Steam has been playing up like that for me too lately. Some games install fine, others take forever and then run a bit shite on other drives/partitions.

Anyway, glad it's better! Pretty smooth so far for me, but early days.

littlepeasoup

No Xbox or PC so I've been testing out Xbox Cloud Gaming in preparation for this and it's been really solid which is an absolute winner. Will have to wait for general release though.

Gehrman

Nah, Steam has been playing up like that for me too lately. Some games install fine, others take forever and then run a bit shite on other drives/partitions.

Anyway, glad it's better! Pretty smooth so far for me, but early days.
Its just so stupid something literally game breaking has such a non sensical simplefix. Id bee one of those giving it 0 on metacritic if i didnt do this.

Ainu

Its the same harddisk(SSD). Just partioned into C and D. I installed in D because I was low on space on C
Weird, I've used different drives on Steam before as well. Anyway, good that it's fixed for you, sometimes it's better to just accept it and not think about it too much. :lol:

Redlambs

Its just so stupid something literally game breaking has such a non sensical simplefix. Id bee one of those giving it 0 on metacritic if i didnt do this.
Weird, I've used different drives on Steam before as well. Anyway, good that it's fixed for you, sometimes it's better to just accept it and not think about it too much. :lol:
I have about 8 library locations across 3 drives, and never had a problem until a couple of updates ago. I don't get performance issues, mine are terrible install times. I think the solution is simply a steam reinstall by all accounts, but I haven't tried that yet.

Anyway I'm out on planets now and the performance so far is pretty impressive for a launch title actually. Already found a bug/issue with the mission select and landing the ship, but nothing major at all. The not flying to planets is boring and the space combat is pedestrian at best, the tools for it to be decent are there but they've clearly rushed it. But all in all, it's no Bethesda mess on first glance.

Hoof the ball

Pretty much this:

Basically what my rant was about last night. Common sense is lost for a long time.

Anyway, might do another BG3 run until they patch the performance a bit as I saw it can be a bit laggy in big cities.

Nah, I saw some 3070 gameplays, you will be fine even on High I think, maybe in big cities lower to Medium. Also there will be DLSS modded for you to use if you don't mind that, as FSR still looks worse.
Redcafe 'Entertainment' in a nutshell.

If a game isn't GOTY it's "shit", or "garbage".
If a game has a one slight glitch or two that lasts for a split second the entire game, it's "Unplayable" or "buggy".
If a show doesn't start out at breakneck pace it's "slow".

Fvck. Read the Breaking Bad thread from when the show first aired. Same folks who praised it years later were calling episodes awful from the first two seasons when the episodes originally dropped. :lol:

You can't keep a Redcafer happy in anything. Football, games, film.

Hoof the ball

Not overly bothered about being able to fly to the planet or not. It's not what makes a game anyway. Mass Effect series was superb and all you could do was fast travel to a planet too. Granted, ME sets a high bar for the rest of the stuff, but still.....

Irwin99

Pretty much this:

Brilliant :D

This is quite true and weirdly, i'm very suspicious of review scores but i still pay way more attention to them than i should. Expectations are so huge nowadays surrounding big blockbuster releases that we're almost conditioned to be skeptical if it doesn't get 10 out of 10 all around. It's so wrong but it's just the way it is.

I know people enjoy different genres and have different tastes etc but i remember playing Deathloop recently and was like "How the feck does this get an 88 rating on MC? Just... how?!". I'm not a huge Doom fan and i played the last one for 4 or 5 hours and even though i can't say it's for me i can see why it would get a high 80s score. Ditto Zelda or GoW (which i did complete and thought was decent) but some scores are just baffling to me.

Hoof the ball

That, and ME3 came out over a decade ago. That's plenty of time to figure out a somewhat more engaging way of space travel.
That's fair, but with a 1,000 planets creating atmospheric environments to fly a space ship through would be tireless work. Look at Star Citizen. They've been at that for a decade with their half a billion scam and still aren't even close to releasing something. The only way to do it would be to have very limited planets and then work on all the details for them.

Fully Fledged

I have no problem with not being able to fly from planet to planet. For me the issue is messaging. They should have told us that's how it works before anybody put their pre-orders in.

Redlambs

Not overly bothered about being able to fly to the planet or not. It's not what makes a game anyway. Mass Effect series was superb and all you could do was fast travel to a planet too. Granted, ME sets a high bar for the rest of the stuff, but still.....
That, and ME3 came out over a decade ago. That's plenty of time to figure out a somewhat more engaging way of space travel.
Also, that's completely forgetting that building and flying a spaceship is a huge part of this game...it's very odd to restrict it to tiny rooms above planets.

Redlambs

Oh yeah.... The ship building. :lol:

Well, feck.
I haven't got anywhere near that part, I'm still busy jumping around the level trying to test where I can get too. Yes, that's how I spend my time :lol:

On the subject of reviews, that guy who didn't know about perks and upgrading them shows the standard of online "journalists" these days. It's not at all complicated or hidden, how the hell have you played any game and missed that? It's like those reviewing Armoured Core 6, half don't even understand the game they are playing :lol:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I have no problem with not being able to fly from planet to planet. For me the issue is messaging. They should have told us that's how it works before anybody put their pre-orders in.
They confirmed in June after the Direct that you couldn't land and take off from planets. It was known.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I haven't got anywhere near that part, I'm still busy jumping around the level trying to test where I can get too. Yes, that's how I spend my time :lol:

On the subject of reviews, that guy who didn't know about perks and upgrading them shows the standard of online "journalists" these days. It's not at all complicated or hidden, how the hell have you played any game and missed that? It's like those reviewing Armoured Core 6, half don't even understand the game they are playing :lol:
He's the lead reviewer for IGN and has been for 10 years. Oversees every review and score they give.

Redlambs

They confirmed in June after the Direct that you couldn't land and take off from planets. It was known.
It's the flying around too though, they never said anything about that. It's incredibly disappointing and very rushed.

The gameplay elements are all there, they've just taken the quick and easy road and it does hold the game back. However, like Dragon riding in Skyrim, I suspect that might be a DLC thing down the line...

He's the lead reviewer for IGN and has been for 10 years. Oversees every review and score they give.
He needs to lay off the sauce.

It's really not hard to see the perks and how to use them. Of all the woeful inventory stuff this game has, that isn't one of them :lol:

Redlambs

On the engine, it's still not amazing (looking at you shadows), however the settings seem to work fine and I can multi-monitor with a stream on whilst playing it with sod all fps impact so they've sorted the CPU code out.

I'm suitably impressed with that side so far. Whilst not exactly groundbreaking graphically, it's better than any of their releases before it in terms of modern standards.

Roux

A few hours in and its good so far, but it feels like I'm playing Death Stranding. Constant fetch item and deliver item quests one after another. Hopefully the quests get much better than this soon.